KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I can't find it, maybe I'm just crazy.

But I don't see why they would switch up the order on the site. It's not reveal order, which is what I initially thought when Sheik came first. It's also worth noting Zelda was the sole regular newcomer not shown off at the reveal.

After Zelda it's Dr. Mario, who was an unlockable character in Melee. And it continues with Melee's unlockables until we get into Brawl's starting roster (until we get to Sonic, who was also unlockable).

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
This is false. I don't know how you can even make this comparison.

Rosalina is a playable character in a mainline Mario game, present in several other titles in the series, a main character in the Galaxy games, etc. Lucina is one of the main protagonists in Awakening. Dr Mario, Daisy and even the Piranha Plant are more relevant to their franchise than Zelda one-offs.

Again. 6 characters for 3 main characters is a lot. Zelda also got 3 characters revamped in this game and a new stage.

It's not shafted.
Majoras mask

Hyrule warriors

Phantom hour glass

3 scored for generic goron

Generic goron playable in more games then generic phirana plant

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, the most likely Zelda newcomer at this point is Tetra.

Yes, she's another Zelda alter-ego, but she's also recurring, and had large roles in the games she was featured. Also, she's a different Zelda, just like how Toon Link is a different Link.
she hasn't been seen in an actual Zelda game for over a decade and I sure don't see her getting a K. Rool-level fan push

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Whenever I see people talk about a Zelda newcomer it's usually about "Zelda should get another character because it's big," and less "here's why THIS specific character should be in Smash." Characters like K. Rool and Ridley got big in part because of their connection to their popular and iconic Nintendo series, but also just because they were such beloved and recognizable characters appearing across multiple titles that fit the mantra of a "Nintendo all-star" game. They were significant, memorable, and brought unique things to Smash. Ganon is really the only Zelda character left in that category and Zelda fans don't seem to want another Triforce character.

People didn't stop arguing for another Metroid character because of Zero Suit Samus. They still argued for Ridley.

InfiniDragon

Oct 25, 2017
They can keep everyone else, give me Marin.

Have her smack people with a giant bell like Hyrule Warriors, lol.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
After Zelda it's Dr. Mario, who was an unlockable character in Melee. And it continues with Melee's unlockables until we get into Brawl's starting roster (until we get to Sonic, who was also unlockable).
Hmm... yeah. It could be reveal order, actually; I forgot we got a glimpse of IC in the trailer before they showcased everyone. It doesn't really explain why they treated Zelda as a secret character, but neither would her being added late. Maybe they actually cared about OoT spoilers still?

I'm pretty sure I made up the interview at this point btw. There's multiple other forum posts questioning why Sheik is numbered first and no one mentions any such official confirmation.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
This so much. DK fans rallied behind K. Rool and Metroid fans rallied behind Ridley, but Zelda fans are completely split on who to add. Skull Kid only got big because of a fake leak.

Ganon and Impa are the best options. Everyone else is a one-off supporting character/villain or Tingle. And I like Tingle but I am very certain Goku would get into Smash before Tingle does.
If Dorf wasn't in you'd bet there would be more

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
All these characters are more recognizable and recurring than any Zelda one-off. You know the comparison is disingenuous when you compared Piranha Plant to a Dodongo.

Who do you think a person in the street is more likely to recognize: Piranha Plant or a Dodongo? Zelda doesn't get even close to Mario in term of iconic characters and enemies.
If we go by who's more iconic then the only Zelda characters that should make it in are Link and Zelda. The entire roster would be 30% Mario, 30% Pokémon, and the other 40% just one offs from every other Nintendo franchise in existence. And at that point we would get more third parties than Nintendo stuff, something which you have been very against of in the other thread.
I'm a Zelda fan and it's perfectly fine. SIX CHARACTERS with 3 of them constantly updated and a lot of stages. Zelda fans feel super entitled for some reason over arbitrary rules they made because they want this game to be filled with one-offs. Feels like they just don't care about other Nintendo IPs to be honest.
What's entitled about acknowledgining that Nintendo's 3rd best-selling franchise, according to that other thread making the rounds today, has had very little to make fans excited about in terms of Smash Bros.? If the fans should be happy with just getting new stages or costumes is irrelevant to me, I am just describing why people feel miffed about how Zelda has turned out in these past three iterations. I rather not make judgments on how should a fandom feel or not feel because that way subjectivity lies. We are gonna run in circles if the only thing we can discuss is who deserves what or who deserves nothing.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whenever I see people talk about a Zelda newcomer it's usually about "Zelda should get another character because it's big," and less "here's why THIS specific character should be in Smash." Characters like K. Rool and Ridley got big in part because of their connection to their popular and iconic Nintendo series, but also just because they were such beloved and recognizable characters appearing across multiple titles that fit the mantra of a "Nintendo all-star" game. They were significant, memorable, and brought unique things to Smash. Ganon is really the only Zelda character left in that category and Zelda fans don't seem to want another Triforce character.

People didn't stop arguing for another Metroid character because of Zero Suit Samus. They still argued for Ridley.
Exactly. This complaint just feels like people wanting to check an arbitrary box.

And there's part of the SNES/64/GC Nintendo fanbase that is always extremely salty at Fire Emblem or "new"/"niche" Nintendo stuff and feels a sense of entitlement over some of their childhood franchises.

What's entitled about acknowledgining that Nintendo's 3rd best-selling franchise, according to that other thread making the rounds today, has had very little to make fans excited about in terms of Smash Bros.? If the fans should be happy with just getting new stages or costumes is irrelevant to me, I am just describing why people feel miffed about how Zelda has turned out in these past three iterations. I rather not make judgments on how should a fandom feel or not feel because that way subjectivity lies. We are gonna run in circles if the only thing we can discuss is who deserves what or who deserves nothing.
Who are these fans? I love Zelda. Ocarina of Time is my favorite game ever. Six characters represent it perfectly, even more with the stages it has.

A character is picked for Smash for several reasons. Being iconic, a main character in their own series, relevance to Nintendo, fun moveset.

Zelda simply doesn't have many characters that fit these boxes and the devs likely don't push anyone to Sakurai. If they did, I'm sure he would add them. But they clearly have no interest in this. You don't see Midna or Fi popping up in BOTW or ALBW.

Lwill

Oct 28, 2017
This is a great screenshot.

Young Link has really bizarre proportions compared to BotW Link though. I guess it's a necessary evil of a fighting game where all characters need to be kinda-sorta the same size.
You know, I love the changes of the Zelda cast. While none so far are "new" characters, there are representation for a wider range of Zelda games.

Link: Champion Link, longer master sword, no hookshot, new bomb mechanic, shoots beams at perfect health, right handed.

Young Link: Hero of Time, almost as tall as the main Link(?), sort of replaces the original Link since the main Link is notably different.

Toon Link: Hero of Winds/Hero of Trains(?). Has been refined to have a better mix of angry and happy expressions, so he looks cooler. He is older than young Link ans has the Master sword and Hylia Shield unlike young Link, but shorter and has too cartoon proportions. It will be interesting to analyze other differences between young Link and toon Link.

Zelda: Link to the Past version. Completely different person. All of her major moves has been significantly reworked.

Ganondoft: Back to the younger OoT appearance. All smash attacks uses his sword!!

Shiek: Uses BOTW armor.. so is she BOTW Zelda? Is it even still Zelda? The voice is deeper too.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Exactly. This complaint just feels like people wanting to check an arbitrary box.

And there's part of the SNES/64/GC Nintendo fanbase that is always extremely salty at Fire Emblem or "new"/"niche" Nintendo stuff and feels a sense of entitlement over some of their childhood franchises.

To be fair, that spoiler box definitely applies to me as a DK fan during Smash 4... but I got K. Rool so whatevs, lol.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Hmm... yeah. It could be reveal order, actually; I forgot we got a glimpse of IC in the trailer before they showcased everyone. It doesn't really explain why they treated Zelda as a secret character, but neither would her being added late. Maybe they actually cared about OoT spoilers still?

I'm pretty sure I made up the interview at this point btw. There's multiple other forum posts questioning why Sheik is numbered first and no one mentions any such official confirmation.

Sometimes memory is a funny thing.

GeeseHoward

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe Midna+Wolf Link never made it in

Ghirahim would be cool too but he is lost to the graveyard that is Assist Trophies

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, that spoiler box definitely applies to me as a DK fan during Smash 4... but I got K. Rool so whatevs, lol.
To be fair, K. Rool was a pretty big character for his franchise and was clearly missing from Smash. I don't feel like this over any Zelda character, even though I would enjoy a few of them (Tingle, Impa, Vaati).

I'm not against Zelda characters, but the franchise isn't being shafted or hated by Sakurai with all the stuff it has and how some other franchises can't even get one fighter (Rhythm Heaven).

cmChimera

Oct 28, 2017
To be fair, the Zelda series doesnt have any other consistent characters aside from Impa. But Impa would be a great addition, especially with her Skyward Sword design
Impa is a terrible pick y'all. Most Impas aren't fighters and the ones that are Sheik echoes at best.

Skull kid is also terrible. He literally just stands around being creepy.

Any of the champions from BoTW could work, but the only one that should be picked is Urbosa.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not like Zelda is lacking iconic stuff.

And they can be creative with anything, time permitting. It's not like they could only be creative with a generic Mario enemy. Tingle could have a super creative moveset if they wanted him to have one.

The man has zelda series, hyrule warriors, balloon fight, and 2 of his own games!

It'd be so fucking easy to make him a moveset

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
Who are these fans? I love Zelda. Ocarina of Time is my favorite game ever. Six characters represent it perfectly, even more with the stages it has.

A character is picked for Smash for several reasons. Being iconic, a main character in their own series, relevance to Nintendo, fun moveset.

Zelda simply doesn't have many characters that fit these boxes and the devs likely don't push anyone to Sakurai. If they did, I'm sure he would add them. But they clearly have no interest in this. You don't see Midna or Fi popping up in BOTW or ALBW.
Sakurai could have any reason for not wanting more Zelda characters, I get that. But people shouldn't be surprised when that gets Zelda fans in an uproar, because there's a huge segment of Smash audience whose wants are not being aligned with the developers'.

Also, yes, those fans exist. Nearly all Zelda discussion I've seen regarding Smash Bros. has been people lamenting Ganondorf is not more differentiated, that three of the characters are Link, or that Skull Kid/Midna/Character of the week isn't in the game. You're one of the few Zelda fans I know of that is perfectly content with that, which, kudos to you, but is not representative of the fandom as a whole.

Now If you'll excuse me I'll go back to making my Saki Amamiya for DLC tweetbots to spam Sakurai.

Flame Flamey

Feb 8, 2018
I think it's odd how none of the big one-off Zelda characters ever made it in. Was it just bad timing on the release date of their games? If Brawl had come out a little earlier, would Midna have been in?

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Zelda fans are turning into the new DK fans this Smash cycle lol
Yep, been saying this ever since K. Rool got confirmed and the lack of a new Zelda character was becoming more and more obvious. "Zelda rep" is gonna be the new "DK rep."

Kirby is also getting there except the Kirby fanbase has successfully rallied behind Bandana Dee. If Kirby is getting ANY character, it's him.

To be fair, K. Rool was a pretty big character for his franchise and was clearly missing from Smash. I don't feel like this over any Zelda character, even though I would enjoy a few of them (Tingle, Impa, Vaati).

I'm not against Zelda characters, but the franchise isn't being shafted or hated by Sakurai with all the stuff it has and how some other franchises can't even get one fighter (Rhythm Heaven).

Agreed. K. Rool and Ridley were overdue and huge wins for their franchises. If DK can nab Dixie too, DK will truly feel "complete" to me, but if not, I'm at least content I got the character I wanted the most for the last decade.

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey

There's so many to pick

My top 3

Are pig anon
Mipha and daruk

Pig ganon speaks for themselves

But mipha and daruk represent their important races and have unique weapons

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's odd how none of the big one-off Zelda characters ever made it in. Was it just bad timing on the release date of their games? If Brawl had come out a little earlier, would Midna have been in?
I doubt it, Brawl was still adding characters like Wario and Diddy. It didn't feel like they were willing to dig deep until 4 to me.

I think with Zelda it's just a case of bad timing

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also, yes, those fans exist. Nearly all Zelda discussion I've seen regarding Smash Bros. has been people lamenting Ganondorf is not more differentiated, that three of the characters are Link, or that Skull Kid/Midna/Character of the week isn't in the game. You're one of the few Zelda fans I know of that is perfectly content with that, which, kudos to you, but is not representative of the fandom as a whole.
I literally only see complaints over a check box over people legit thinking these characters represent the series well. But ok.

Now If you'll excuse me I'll go back to making my Saki Amamiya for DLC tweetbots to spam Sakurai.
This I can agree with. Dude has a jetpack, a sword and a laser gun. How is he not in yet

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey

Fi is in botw

evilmonkey

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Impa would work well with a Yiga clan inspired moveset.
The man has zelda series, hyrule warriors, balloon fight, and 2 of his own games!

It'd be so fucking easy to make him a moveset
At some point Aonuma found out Tingle was very unpopular in the US. It's why he hasn't made it in any Zelda game since The Minish Cap and his solo games were never localized in the region.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
BTW, the Pig Ganon we have as Ganondorf's Final Smash shows yet again how Sakurai likes to cut corners when it comes to Zelda stuff. The Pig Ganon in Ocarina is a slow lumbering behemoth who slashes Link with his two swords. The Pig Ganon in Ultimate... rams forward like a feral animal.

It's a vestige of Beast Ganon from Twilight Princess. Sakurai literally just swapped models but did not think about how they represent the source material. It's almost as bad as giving Ganondorf the sword from a tech demo from 2000 that has not had any relevance ever since. It's like if Meowth were suddenly made a playable character and they gave him that weird guitar as part of his moveset.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I actually am pretty shocked Sakurai didn't add Impa as a Sheik echo, that seemed like a no brainer, but maybe they were just pressed for time.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
It's finally her time to shine!
b42E5xIg.jpg
Yes!

Also Deku alt for Piranha Plant please!

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
I'm almost 99% sure there will be a Zelda rep as DLC- especially if it's a BotW character. That game is way too popular to not have a unique character in Smash (yeah, yeah I know. BotW Link. But still).

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the changes they get are enough.

I just want Young Link to be more like his Majora's self, that would be incredible.

But yeah I'd love Impa.

Apr 16, 2018
When people think of the Legend of Zelda, they're not thinking of fucking skull kid.

Zelda has perfect representation with every main character being in the game. With the exception of Mario and Starfox, no other franchises in the series has that kind of representation.

Flame Flamey

Feb 8, 2018
I doubt it, Brawl was still adding characters like Wario and Diddy. It didn't feel like they were willing to dig deep until 4 to me.

I think with Zelda it's just a case of bad timing
But is adding the relevant character of the week from the relevant big hit of the week digging deep? I guess that invites comparisons to Lucario and Ike, which I don't really want to get into. Different series and what not. Might be worth thinking about though

Anyway, Brawl did have some unexpected swerves like Pit or ROB.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
People have been begging for Ganondorf to use his sword for over a decade, and then when Sakurai pulls the trigger, people get mad because it's from the Spaceworld demo, even though there are characters who use moves that are wholesale stolen from others in their series.