• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
It's too bad they couldn't take a nod from Pokémon Trainer and establish some sort of "Champion Fighter" where you constantly swap between Daruk, Revali, Urbosa, and Mipha.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
There's barely any support for Pig Ganon anywhere and that tells me Zelda fans are awful at Banding together for a character, hence why there's been nothing for seventeen years.

Imagine if five of the nine Mario characters were

Mario
Metal Mario
Doctor Mario
Jumpman
Luigi without the green missile

And Bowser was a clone of Charizard

People would be furious about Mario representation. Zelda fans shouldn't be happy about what they get
The difference is Mario has more main characters than Zelda. Zelda is my favorite franchise and while I'd welcome new characters from the series (personally I'd like Wolf Link) I do feel the main characters are in. There is no prominent Zelda character missing.

Don't know why Sheik got in over Impa, could've literally even given the former's moveset to the latter

Because Zelda used to turn into Sheik, it wouldn't make sense if she turned into Impa. She was the first morphing character and they wanted to introduce that mechanic.

Hibiki

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
latest

Probably the biggest (no pun intended) Nintendo Villain rep left not playable yet.

EDIT: Toon Link hardly counts.

I would really love to see this happen. I honestly feel it's pretty crazy they didn't do Ganon. I love Ganondorf, but I feel Ganon would be a more interesting fighter than Ganondorf (Ganon also has a badass design).

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
The difference is Mario has more main characters than Zelda. Zelda is my favorite franchise and while I'd welcome new characters from the series (personally I'd like Wolf Link) I do feel the main characters are in. There is no prominent Zelda character missing.
Pig Ganon and Impa are the ones that come to mind; both of them had had more appearances than Ganondorf or Sheik. And I would argue we have never had a version of Ganondorf that is true to the character.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
I'd love to see Darunia or Goron Link since this seems like the Smash game made for big bodies.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, people keep saying this but he's not just a common, random enemy. He's iconic, and was clearly an opportunity for the team to be creative with a character.
It's not like Zelda is lacking iconic stuff.

And they can be creative with anything, time permitting. It's not like they could only be creative with a generic Mario enemy. Tingle could have a super creative moveset if they wanted him to have one.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine if five of the nine Mario characters were

Mario
Metal Mario
Doctor Mario
Jumpman
Luigi without the green missile

And Bowser was a clone of Charizard

People would be furious about Mario representation. Zelda fans shouldn't be happy about what they get
Difference is that Mario has actual several recurring characters that are used by their devs. Zelda isn't like that.

Zelda has only 3 main characters and yet has 6 fighters + all the other representation. It's a lot and not bad by any means. Also, I'm a Zelda fan that played all the games and I don't think it's shafted at all, if anything it's represented perfectly while other franchises are actually shafted.

RadiantDan

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan
Because it doesn't need any more. I'm glad that Sakurai doesn't (for the most part) add characters to Smash just for the sake of having another character from a certain series.

Shinku_King

Nov 11, 2017
I agree OP not a huge difference between to 3 links and Ganon got a few new moves which he needed. It would've been cool if they made young link more like MM he got the 3 forms and he can fight as well, ah well I'm not complaining the game looks like the best $60 package all year

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
My point isn't that they hate them, but that they don't see them as recurring characters to represent the series. Sakurai talks a lot with the original devs and I don't think he would deny Aonuma if he asked for a character, I just don't think the Zelda team feels shafted or anything and prefer to get the characters updated over an one off being added to Smash.
Oh yeah I'd totally agree that the devs themselves probably don't feel shafted. And I think Ultimate's upgrades are great. It'd just be cool to get a new moveset from the series.

Even discarding the one off thing, Ganon, Impa and Tetra all have multiple appearances in the series. And the races could be alts/echoes of eachother (Champions being default because they're the most recent and prominent).

I feel like there's a lot of potential for more representation of the series through characters and it's sad to see it stay the same for 17 years and people say it's fully repped.

Characters like Rosalina and Lucina are in similar positions in their respective franchises as some of the Zelda characters people shoot down.

cervanky

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would really love to see this happen. I honestly feel it's pretty crazy they didn't do Ganon. I love Ganondorf, but I feel Ganon would be a more interesting fighter than Ganondorf (Ganon also has a badass design).
Yeah!

Ganon_Battle_ALTTP.jpg

I want this in...well, anything, especially a Zelda game, but I'd take Smash Bros too.

tumblr_inline_olef2y4LfT1qijziv_500.gif

In his pig form (and setting aside the giant boar appearances in recent 3D Zelda games), he's in:
  • The Legend of Zelda
  • The Adventure of Link (cameo, as game over screen)
  • A Link to the Past
  • A Link to the Past (cameo, as nightmare boss)
  • Ocarina of Time (kinda, with some creative liberties taken, he's a lot taller here)
  • Oracle of Ages / Oracle of Seasons
  • Four Swords Adventures
  • A Link Between Worlds (cameo)

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
Difference is that Mario has actual several recurring characters that are used by their devs. Zelda isn't like that.

Zelda has only 3 main characters and yet has 6 fighters + all the other representation. It's a lot and not bad by any means. Also, I'm a Zelda fan that played all the games and I don't think it's shafted at all, if anything it's represented perfectly while other franchises are actually shafted.
We have already mentioned at least three recurring characters in this thread. If it were about only including the "main" characters, Mario shouldn't have added Dr. Mario, Daisy, Piranha Plant or Rosalina.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Impa or skullkid with majoras would be excellent additions tbh. Hell make majoras link with each of the masks a playable character. It is weird we havent got an anyone else in awhile.

Also give gannandorf his own moveset finally.

Deleted member 283

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd love to see Darunia or Goron Link since this seems like the Smash game made for big bodies.
I would love this so much. Goron Link is just so fun to control in Majora's Mask and it would be wonderful to see something like in Smash, though I can't see them ever going for something like that. But then again, nobody could ever predict something like Piranha Plant, so who knows I guess. All I know is that yeah, I'd love to see something in that in Smash and that would probably easily jump up to being one of my favorite characters, were it to ever happen.

Fanuilos

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Wind Waker's version of Ganondorf could have a cool moveset and they could use Puppet Ganon for a final smash. The time for him has probably passed though.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Characters like Rosalina and Lucina are in similar positions in their respective franchises as some of the Zelda characters people shoot down.
We have already mentioned at least three recurring characters in this thread. If it were about only including the "main" characters, Mario shouldn't have added Dr. Mario, Daisy, Piranha Plant or Rosalina.
This is false. I don't know how you can even make this comparison.

Rosalina is a playable character in a mainline Mario game, present in several other titles in the series, a main character in the Galaxy games, etc. Lucina is one of the main protagonists in Awakening. Dr Mario, Daisy and even the Piranha Plant are more relevant to their franchise than Zelda one-offs.

Again. 6 characters for 3 main characters is a lot. Zelda also got 3 characters revamped in this game and a new stage.

It's not shafted.

Arthoneceron

Oct 27, 2017
Minas Gerais, Brazil
I'm firmly expecting a BotW character to be included as the DLC.

If Nintendo is smart, they will go for Urbosa. If they want to change the dynamic of the characters, they can go for each for Mipha or Sidon. There's a chance for Impa too, but I suspect that she could be heavily influenced for her counter-part from Zelda Musou.

But hey, there's always a chance for older Zelda games too. Groose or Ghirahim could make it, right?

Oh no! Please God NO!

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I think you have that backwards. Sheik was added to the roster before Zelda.

That's a stretch, lol. You make it sound like she didn't have a complete moveset from the start.

The dev team started with Sheik and then decided to add Zelda, btw.

I think you're taking the order the fighters are displayed on the CSS (and the Smash site) as gospel. I don't think Sonic was added to the series before King Dedede. He was just revealed before Dedede.

PadWarrior

Oct 25, 2017
I'm firmly expecting a BotW character to be included as the DLC.

If Nintendo is smart, they will go for Urbosa. If they want to change the dynamic of the characters, they can go for each for Mipha or Sidon. There's a chance for Impa too, but I suspect that she could be heavily influenced for her counter-part from Zelda Musou.

But hey, there's always a chance for older Zelda games too. Groose or Ghirahim could make it, right?

Oh no! Please God NO!
Sidon would be a good pick. I'd spend money for him.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017

Rosalina is a playable character in a mainline Mario game, present in several other titles in the series, a main character in the Galaxy games, etc. Lucina is one of the main protagonists in Awakening. Dr Mario, Daisy and even the Piranha Plant are more relevant to their franchise than Zelda one-offs.

Again. 6 characters for 3 main characters is a lot. Zelda also got 3 characters revamped in this game and a new stage.

It's not shafted.
Yeah I'll absoutely argue that Tetra, Impa and Ganon are more important to the Zelda series than Lucina is to Fire Emblem.

Maybe not Rosalina, but they're pretty close. Admittedly I wasn't really thinking about 3D World but absolutely to her role in the Galaxy games. 3D World appearance likely wasn't considered for Smash 4 anyway.

evilmonkey

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I think you're taking the order the fighters are displayed on the CSS (and the Smash site) as gospel. I don't think Sonic was added to the game before King Dedede. He was just revealed before Dedede.
Why would they list Sheik before Zelda if the former wasn't at least planned before the latter? That would make no sense.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
I think you're taking the order the fighters are displayed on the CSS (and the Smash site) as gospel. I don't think Sonic was added to the series before King Dedede. He was just revealed before Dedede.
I'm pretty sure there's an interview or something of the like claiming otherwise regarding Sheik/Zelda. If it was straight reveal order, Ice Climbers would be there first, no?

Deleted member 18742

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Its okay. We will keep getting more Fire Emblem characters in Smash instead of something like Legend of Zelda

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'll absoutely argue that Tetra, Impa and Ganon are more important to their series than Lucina
Not really. Lucina is actually playable in Awakening and is one of the 3 main protagonists (with a whole DLC dedicated to her), one of the most popular character in the series and uber important to FEH.

You can only make a case for Ganon over her and even then he's the same character as Ganondorf.

Nintendo makes more money of Lucina than Ganon.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
Honestly, the most likely Zelda newcomer at this point is Tetra.

Yes, she's another Zelda alter-ego, but she's also recurring, and had large roles in the games she was featured. Also, she's a different Zelda, just like how Toon Link is a different Link.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017

Rosalina is the closest I can get to agreeing with you, but even then she has only appeared in three games in the entire mainline thing. And in two of those she isn't the main character, but an admittedly important secondary one.
Daisy? Daisy, the one who has only been in one mainline game over twenty years ago?
Dr. Mario, who's literally just from a spin-off? But we cannot count Zelda characters that make multiple appearances?
Piranha Plant is as relevant to Mario as Dodongos are to Zelda. They've been since in the franchise since the first game and have also shown multiple forms throughout the series.

And again, even if those were right, it doesn't change the fact that one third of the supposed Zelda trifecta doesn't even represent Zelda well.

It's not shafted.
Let's look at said renovations:

Link: Grab changed. Down B changed. Neutral B a bit changed.
Ganondorf: Aesthetic changed. Added a sword that he never used in canonical appearances. Still a Captain Falcon clone.
Zelda: purely aesthetic changes.

I am not going to say it's shafted. I'm going to say Sakurai made some bad decisions a while ago regarding the Zelda roster and, instead of trying to fix them, he's changed them sporadically with the hopes that that would be enough to Zelda fans. It's not.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Not really. Lucina is actually playable in Awakening and is one of the 3 main protagonists (with a whole DLC dedicated to her), one of the most popular character in the series and uber important to FEH.

You can only make a case for Ganon over her and even then he's the same character as Ganondorf.

Nintendo makes more money of Lucina than Ganon.
Well I mean every FE character is "playable." I don't know if it's fair to argue the playable thing because they are different gameplay types.

I wasn't really arguing about money. I'm talking about with regards to the lore and story of their series and amount of screentime and number of games they are in. But point taken

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Zelda veterans get a ton of love in new appearances and moves. The franchise is far from neglected in Smash if you look outside newcomers.

Not only that, but a crapload of stages, items, and ATs.

I think if Ganondorf was reworked completely it would stifle a lot of the complaints.

cmChimera

Oct 28, 2017
The only reps from the Zelda franchise I've ever wanted in Smash since Melee are Midna and Urbosa.

And Toon Link definitely counts.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you want to make arbitrary rules to pretend your series with 6 characters is being shafted, I can make for Fire Emblem too (the ~anthology~ series Zelda fans always complain about with a poor comparison).

Fire Emblem games without any main character represented playable in Smash:
- FE2
- FE4
- FE5
- FE7
- FE8

5 games without a main character.

Zelda games without a main character represented playable in Smash:

Why does Sakurai hate FE so much? What's with this Zelda bias?

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
???

I've never seen this interview. Can anyone help us out here?
I can't find it, maybe I'm just crazy.

But I don't see why they would switch up the order on the site. It's not reveal order, which is what I initially thought when Sheik came first. It's also worth noting Zelda was the sole regular newcomer not shown off at the reveal.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
If you want to make arbitrary rules to pretend your series with 6 characters is being shafted, I can make for Fire Emblem too (the ~anthology~ series Zelda fans always complain about with a poor comparison).

- FE2
- FE4
- FE5
- FE7
- FE8

If I was a big FE fan, I'd be kind of disappointed too. Lots of character types and weapons not represented in Smash.

evilmonkey

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Canada

- FE2
- FE4
- FE5
- FE7
- FE8

FE as a franchise has yet to break 15 million total sales. The fact it has more reps than Zelda (which is close to 100 million) isn't cool no matter how you slice it.

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
To be fair, the Zelda series doesnt have any other consistent characters aside from Impa. But Impa would be a great addition, especially with her Skyward Sword design
Hyrule warriors lol

Tingle
Vaati (rip)
Beatle
Linebeck

The zora species (phirana plant sets percent for generics though a specific person would rep the race)
But gorons are in every 3d Zelda

Same with zora exept skyward sword

Both playable in majoras mask and hyrule warriors (and phantom hour glass for gorons)

Rito race

More humans could be impa, could be a woman gerudo rep, really love urbosa

Skull kid is in oot mm and hw

Midna and the twilli on 2 games

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Rosalina is the closest I can get to agreeing with you, but even then she has only appeared in three games in the entire mainline thing. And in two of those she isn't the main character, but an admittedly important secondary one.
Daisy? Daisy, the one who has only been in one mainline game over twenty years ago?
Dr. Mario, who's literally just from a spin-off? But we cannot count Zelda characters that make multiple appearances?
Piranha Plant is as relevant to Mario as Dodongos are to Zelda. They've been since in the franchise since the first game and have also shown multiple forms throughout the series.

And again, even if those were right, it doesn't change the fact that one third of the supposed Zelda trifecta doesn't even represent Zelda well.
All these characters are more recognizable and recurring than any Zelda one-off. You know the comparison is disingenuous when you compared Piranha Plant to a Dodongo.

Who do you think a person in the street is more likely to recognize: Piranha Plant or a Dodongo? Zelda doesn't get even close to Mario in term of iconic characters and enemies.

I am not going to say it's shafted. I'm going to say Sakurai made some bad decisions a while ago regarding the Zelda roster and, instead of trying to fix them, he's changed them sporadically with the hopes that that would be enough to Zelda fans. It's not.
I'm a Zelda fan and it's perfectly fine. SIX CHARACTERS with 3 of them constantly updated and a lot of stages. Zelda fans feel super entitled for some reason over arbitrary rules they made because they want this game to be filled with one-offs. Feels like they just don't care about other Nintendo IPs to be honest.

FE as a franchise has yet to break 15 million total sales. The fact it has more reps than Zelda (which is close to 100 million) isn't cool no matter how you slice it.
FE actually is an anthology series, but let's bring up another arbitrary argument to make Zelda look better when no one buys a game because of one-offs like Daruk, while the people buying FE Awakening actually care about Lucina.

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
DmqghEFW0AEE8Uu.jpg

Funny enough the Zelda cast got the most changes in Smash this time around than any other franchise in smash ultimate

Link, Zelda, and ganondorf have all new movesets, final smash attacks. None of other series cast members got this much changes

Lol half of the franchise are links and they share the same base moveset, hilarious that Sakurai thinks this looks okay with how attentive to detail he is.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
There's barely any support for Pig Ganon anywhere and that tells me Zelda fans are awful at Banding together for a character, hence why there's been nothing for seventeen years.

This so much. DK fans rallied behind K. Rool and Metroid fans rallied behind Ridley, but Zelda fans are completely split on who to add. Skull Kid only got big because of a fake leak.

Ganon and Impa are the best options. Everyone else is a one-off supporting character/villain or Tingle. And I like Tingle but I am very certain Goku would get into Smash before Tingle does.