DarkstarIV

Feb 21, 2018
I'm hoping that Itoh wouldn't be "watered down" in AEW (no usage of mutherfucker/flipping the bird). If she went to WWE, that would be definite.
She would 100% be watered down. I cannot imagine TNT being too thrilled at Maki constantly calling people fuckers or dropping other incredibly explicit not safe for ears content. There are rules in place where the FCC can fine broadcasters for explicit language if it airs before 10 PM. Which is why AEW is fairly liberal with its censors (even if they mess up the majority of the time and actually miss what they mean to censor).

And I would put the odds of Maki going to WWE at "there's a better chance of someone here hitting the lottery".

UrbanDandy

Oct 25, 2017
She would 100% be watered down. I cannot imagine TNT being too thrilled at Maki constantly calling people fuckers or dropping other incredibly explicit not safe for ears content. There are rules in place where the FCC can fine broadcasters for explicit language if it airs before 10 PM. Which is why AEW is fairly liberal with its censors (even if they mess up the majority of the time and actually miss what they mean to censor).
Then it's best if Itoh stays in japan, unless she can adapt.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
On one hand, we won't ever see the IWGP history of champions video roll before a big title match again :(

On the other, that video was already ruined thanks to Jay white and evil winning the belt :(

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
kC0ak5H.jpg
bullshit, Okada fans want him to win the belt again immediately because he's the GOAT.

I don't care about "chase". "Chase" only works when you're not the greatest ever. Even the wrestler named Chase is a bag of dirt.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
Did Enzo age 15 years since the start of the pandemic or something?

Edge not looking too hot.

I think the unification of the IWGP and IC titles is a big mistake. So many wrestlers have been elevated or given focus they may not have received thanks to their IC title runs. I mean the belt headlined Wrestle Kingdom once. You can accomplish a lot with a secondary title. You might think that the NEVER title will be the new secondary title but it has a long way to go before it reaches the prestige or interest that the IC title built up, even with Tanahashi as the champ. The NEVER title should be reserved for people early in their career or just entering the heavyweight division. The IC title is the next step and a chance to headline shows, with the IWGP championship as the ultimate prize.

And I don't envy whoever has to redesign the belt. Just redesign the Mona Lisa while you're at it.
On one hand, we won't ever see the IWGP history of champions video roll before a big title match again :(

On the other, that video was already ruined thanks to Jay white and evil winning the belt :(
Bob Sapp's legacy will still live in our hearts.

Sinatar

Oct 25, 2017
Here's the thing. You can be supportive of the women in your company or event, but you don't need to tear down women in other companies to do that. The shot at other women was entirely unnecessary. If he had said "they shined in that match and got all of their shit in and should be signed", then that would be perfectly fine. But he added in a "more than girls from any other company" which was entirely unnecessary.

Imagine stanning for blood money wrestling this hard.

Get a grip.

Zero-Crescent

Oct 28, 2017
Hm, did I hear Okada vs. Shingo?

EDIT: Sounds like they're also bringing back the Strong Style Evolved special for NJPW Strong.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017

And I would put the odds of Maki going to WWE at "there's a better chance of someone here hitting the lottery".
The FCC doesn't regulate cable, that censoring comes from TNT not wanting to upset advertisers.

Zero-Crescent

Oct 28, 2017
New Japan Cup bracket:
EvXwRNuVcAElUAM

They are indeed bringing back the Strong Style Evolved special, this time as part of the New Japan Cup USA, with the qualifying matches on the Road to shows for Strong:

EDIT: Also, Ibushi wants to defend the double titles against Despy, so presumably they'll reveal the new title sometime after the match, since the first title shot will go to the NJ Cup winner.

Last edited:

Sinatar

Oct 25, 2017
New Japan Cup bracket:
EvXwRNuVcAElUAM

They are indeed bringing back the Strong Style Evolved special, this time as part of the New Japan Cup USA, with the qualifying matches on the Road to shows for Strong:

EDIT: Also, Ibushi wants to defend the double titles against Despy, so presumably they'll reveal the new title sometime after the match, since the first title shot will go to the NJ Cup winner.

Shingo vs. Okada in round 1? God damn.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
New Japan Cup bracket:
EvXwRNuVcAElUAM
I'm assuming left side is building toward Evil vs. Okada after they've been feuding in tag matches for the past month. Ibushi just finished a big feud with Ingorables de Japon, so Naito and Takagi pushing for the cup doesn't make much sense. The one thing in the entire bracket I'm really not sure about is the Naito/O-Khan/Yano section. Yano could go all the way up to Evil. O-Khan could upset Naito so he gets a break. In fact, I kinda want to go back and make Yano win cuz I don't think Naito vs. Evil is gonna happen again so soon.

Right sides just a mess where it's hard to see anyone but Ospreay, Ishii, Jay White, and Tanahashi climbing through. Like, are they really going to push Chase Owens through multiple rounds here? Yeesh. Regardless of whether Ospreay, Ishii, or on the random chance ZSJ makes it through, Tanahashi would be the better opponent, so I pick him over Jay White.

That would lead to a finals of either Evil vs. Tanahashi or Okada vs. Ospreay, if we're keeping to face vs. heel. Okada+Ospreay make much more sense winning their respective semifinals and a much better match overall. Ospreay wins the Cup. It's too early for Okada vs. Ibushi.

5dR18Te.png

Last edited:

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
If they have the fucking audacity to give us EVIL vs Okada AGAIN.

I swear to Moses.
fuck. i totally forgot they just had a singles match. didn't they have a tag match afterward? man, that might blow up my bracket. maybe they really are giving okada a break. it's honma's time to shine.

bloodyroarx

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Ontario, Canada
It's the anniversary show, so it's rather inconsequential overall outside of the traditional Heavyweight vs Junior champions match, which had to get reshuffled due to Hiromu's injury. Feels like Dave is exaggerating the issue a bit here.
If you read the rest of the posts about it its more about not announcing a main event for a show at Budokan till 4 days out. He says this is something they should of been building for a month. Doesn't matter if it was Hiromu or whomever it should of been announced way before if they were going to run a venue like this

SeroTyler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This feels like a very cynical way of resetting everything so that there's a "new" title for everyone to chase. Poor EVIL wins the big one and they restart the lineage so he's not in it.

Phoenixazure

Oct 27, 2017
This feels like a very cynical way of resetting everything so that there's a "new" title for everyone to chase. Poor EVIL wins the big one and they restart the lineage so he's not in it.
I just get flashbacks of when wwe made the *new* wwe world heavyweight champion unifying the two titles and going with cena vs Orton while the crowd is practically begging for Daniel Bryan in the background

AstralSphere

Feb 10, 2021
Yep

New lineage

The original IWGP title history is retired

I'd like them to say that's effective Jan 4th so that Naito goes down as the last IWGP champion but I doubt they will do that

Not a fan of this at all.

So instead of honouring the history of each belt and unifying them together like Ibushi was saying in the post match interview - outright saying (translation notwithstanding) that neither are being retired - BOTH histories are being dropped.

I'd rather the IC belt have just been officially retired than this.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
I'm assuming left side is building toward Evil vs. Okada after they've been feuding in tag matches for the past month. Ibushi just finished a big feud with Ingorables de Japon, so Naito and Takagi pushing for the cup doesn't make much sense. The one thing in the entire bracket I'm really not sure about is the Naito/O-Khan/Yano section. Yano could go all the way up to Evil. O-Khan could upset Naito so he gets a break. In fact, I kinda want to go back and make Yano win cuz I don't think Naito vs. Evil is gonna happen again so soon.

Right sides just a mess where it's hard to see anyone but Ospreay, Ishii, Jay White, and Tanahashi climbing through. Like, are they really going to push Chase Owens through multiple rounds here? Yeesh. Regardless of whether Ospreay, Ishii, or on the random chance ZSJ makes it through, Tanahashi would be the better opponent, so I pick him over Jay White.

That would lead to a finals of either Evil vs. Tanahashi or Okada vs. Ospreay, if we're keeping to face vs. heel. Okada+Ospreay make much more sense winning their respective semifinals and a much better match overall. Ospreay wins the Cup. It's too early for Okada vs. Ibushi.

5dR18Te.png
Evil vs Naito going immediately into Evil vs Okada. Save us Jeff Cobb.

Has Tenzan had a singles match since he got his chops stolen? Like... that was all he did.

OP
OP
asmith906

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
It feels like he just got back from being injured. Sad to see he might be out for a good while.