• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Conor419

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
London
User Banned (2 Days): Inflammatory generalizations with numerous accumulated warnings
Jesus christ, Sony fans over 25 years have been so hell-bent on having a game one-up Zelda, that now something mildly alike has come along there's been a series of dumb threads such as these: GoW4 looks nothing like classic Zelda, this thread reeks of desperation.

What's even more hilarious is that Nintendo have been like "been there, done that" and moved on to the next game-of-the-generation design choices.

Aniki

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Christ, Sony fans over 25 years have been so desperate to 1-UP Zelda, that now something mildly alike has come along there's been a series of dumb threads such as these. GoW4 looks nothing like classic Zelda.

What's more hilarious is that Nintendo have been like "been there, done that" and moved on to the next game-of-the-generation design choices.
It does to me. The similarities have been discussed in this thread already. It's an awesome adventure game in the best tradition of Zelda. Also, you could really tone it down with your console war bullshit. No good discussion will come from that.

Oct 27, 2017
Seriously, I think the NPC writing is my biggest surprise. Especially coming from the prior games. Pretty much every single NPC you meet is absolute gold.

Yeah, who would've thought that the new Gow game will make you laugh. Hell, they even made an interesting character out of a small object ;P
...and they've turned Kratos from one of the worst written characters into one of the best, because now the older games serve as an interesting background for his character arc.
You look at this guy and think: this guy has seen and done some serious shit in his life.

It's one of those few games where the only real flaw is the fact that the game will end at one point.

Conor419

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
London
It does to me. The similarities have been discussed in this thread already. It's an awesome adventure game in the best tradition of Zelda. Also, you could really tone it down with your console war bullshit. No good discussion will come from that.

This entire thread is console-war bullshit. Until you, or someone else here, gives me a complete breakdown of complex puzzle, dungeon and support-item design in this new God of War game (literally the core staples of mid-era Zelda), then I would advise that Sony fans spend more time playing God of War, and less time talking about Zelda.

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Jesus christ, Sony fans over 25 years have been so hell-bent on having a game one-up Zelda, that now something mildly alike has come along there's been a series of dumb threads such as these: GoW4 looks nothing like classic Zelda, this thread reeks of desperation.

What's even more hilarious is that Nintendo have been like "been there, done that" and moved on to the next game-of-the-generation design choices.

Why so angry ?

This entire thread is console-war bullshit. Until you, or someone else here, gives me a complete breakdown of complex puzzle, dungeon and support-item design in this new God of War game (literally the core staples of mid-era Zelda), then I would advise that Sony fans spend more time playing God of War, and less time talking about Zelda.

You know OP loves Zelda right..

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've said it in the thread claiming how bold GoW was and I'll say it again, I would not suggest this game to someone just because they love Zelda like I would suggest Okami or Darksiders 1. The parallels aren't there between GOW and Zelda for me to say for certain fans of Zelda will like this game.

Last edited:

Captain Goodnight

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How is the violence in this new GoW? Personally, I enjoyed GoW 1 & 2 (haven't played 3), and am just fine w/ plenty of gore throughout a game, but my wife doesn't like gratuitous violence throughout games (unless it is horror genre). She loves Zelda games and has enjoyed watching me play games like Horizon Zero Dawn, Dark Souls, Bloodborne etc. We even played Metal Gear Revengeance, but the over the top slicing, dicing & blood spurting with every attack was a little much. If the violence is on the level of Bloodborne, then I will pick this up to play together. If it is more like No More Heroes or Metal Gear Revengeance, then I may need to play it alone.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Any game with such a mechanical focus on combat is pretty antithetical to Zelda-like, if we're being honest. Unless we're talking about Zelda II... or arguably Skyward Sword. On the list of games in the "item-based progression system" field, Zelda is probably the least like God of War.

i-hate-u

Oct 25, 2017
As far as I know, Zelda is a relic of the past ever since 09. The new standard for for such types of games has been the Soul's series ever since.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Zelda's combat has always been trash. Comparing that combat to a game like GoW is crazy.

I mean I get the similarities and all. I'm just saying I'd never do it.

Llazy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lol it really doesn't. I has nothing in common with zelda lol.
These people think just because it has puzzles its automatically like zelda what about all the hundreds of games that have puzzles are they like zelda as well? Just seems like a shallow comparison. Zelda had much more than just puzzles.

Zelda's combat has always been trash. Comparing that combat to a game like GoW is crazy.

I mean I get the similarities and all. I'm just saying I'd never do it.
Zelda is more than just its combat though, and yes it's not the greatest but to give it credit at it's time OOT combat was revolutionary and lead the way for a lot of 3d combat systems after it.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

Could there maybe be a possibility that there are "Sony fans" that are also longtime Nintendo or Zelda fans? O: Zelda is one of my favorite video game series and this God of War I am really liking too and I do agree with others that it shares similarities to Zelda. In fact, the director, Cory Barlog, stated it as a strong influence before.
Since you said it does "look" nothing like a classic Zelda, I am going to assume you didn't even play this game.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
So GoW is going to pick up where botw failed me?

I was interested in it after watching some gameplay, but it would be good to have that kind of experience again. Like a zelda bloodborne

It's strengths are different from BoTW's.

BoTW excels at puzzles and exploring and GoW excels at top tier combat and story.

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
These people think just because it has puzzles its automatically like zelda what about all the hundreds of games that have puzzles are they like zelda as well? Just seems like a shallow comparison. Zelda had much more than just puzzles.
Well it was just compared to resident evil 4 yesterday because of pacing. These threads are just fan boy reactionary hottakes. Same thing that happens every year during e3 or the release of any gigantic game.

Oct 27, 2017
How is the violence in this new GoW? Personally, I enjoyed GoW 1 & 2 (haven't played 3), and am just fine w/ plenty of gore throughout a game, but my wife doesn't like gratuitous violence throughout games (unless it is horror genre). She loves Zelda games and has enjoyed watching me play games like Horizon Zero Dawn, Dark Souls, Bloodborne etc. We even played Metal Gear Revengeance, but the over the top slicing, dicing & blood spurting with every attack was a little much. If the violence is on the level of Bloodborne, then I will pick this up to play together. If it is more like No More Heroes or Metal Gear Revengeance, then I may need to play it alone.

Haven't finished it yet, but it'd say closer to MGR than Bloodborne. Let's put it this way "the axe does what an axe does". But you can avoid performing finishers...maybe that will help.

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Zelda was a direct inspiration for this new God of War according to Cory Barlog, the game director. The metroidvania structure of the game/optional content/puzzles and the way new gear opens up and lets you progress further in previously explored areas may be what people are referring to. I don't really know why some of you seem so insulted by the comparison.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I've said it in theBold thread and I'll say it again, I would not suggest this game to someone just because they love Zelda like I would suggest Okami or Darksiders 1. The parallels aren't there between GOW and Zelda for me to say for certain fans of Zelda will like this game.
I have no memory of this.

ΑGITΩ

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
So I've only attempted the first GoW back in the day, and I couldn't get into it from the gameplay perspective. However, I understand that the games kinda need one another to understand the story. Gameplay asidr, how lost would I be if I jump into this game, having zero backstory to the franchise?

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
I wish we were able to stop comparing everything with something else, specially with certain titles. It's like being an atheist in a place where someone will always try to talk you into its particular God...

And speaking of Gods, this one stands on its own pretty well. It's simply a game to be experienced by anyone who ever cared about video games, whatever they are fans of.

DoomGaze

Nov 16, 2017
I love Game of War. It's got that retro vibe like old-school Skyward Sword gameplay. Totally awesome

Aniki

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
This entire thread is console-war bullshit. Until you give me a complete breakdown of complex puzzle and dungeon design in this new God of War game (literally the core staple of mid-era Zelda), then I would advise that Sony fans spend more time playing God of War, and less time talking about Zelda.
A lot of the puzzles resolve around the use of your axe. Yes, a lot of them are easy but so are most Zelda ones as well. I have already had a few where i had to wait and think what the best approach would be. The hardest ones involved the correct recall of your axe, i also came across a few block puzzles as well. I'm still early though, not more than 20% at the most. I'm pretty sure they will get even more complex. So far i already feel at home as fan of Zelda games.

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Well it was just compared to resident evil 4 yesterday because of pacing. These threads are just fan boy reactionary hottakes. Same thing that happens every year during e3 or the release of any gigantic game.

Heres a good post regarding the Resident Evil 4 comparison:
Am I the only person that gets huge RE4 vibes from the game? It's less about moment to moment gameplay, and how the game treats animation, interaction, and how the game blends animation and commands.

How pulled in the camera is, how every action you undergo is deliberate without buttons to skip or speed up actions (for instance, compare climbing in GoW to MHW), very strict nature to where you can and cannot go in an environment, etc. It shares a lot of commonalities with a ton of other contemporaries, but it's interesting to see so much RE4 in this game, so many years after the game's release.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Zelda was a direct inspiration for this new God of War according to Cory Barlog, the game director. The metroidvania structure of the game/optional content/puzzles and the way new gear opens up and lets you progress further in previously explored areas may be what people are referring to. I don't really know why some of you seem so insulted by the comparison.

Because "new gear opens up old areas" and "puzzles" are a really simpliatic, reductionist understanding of what makes Zelda appealing. It's like - Age of Mythology fans will love God of War, because it mixes Norse and Greek myths together!

Like, is it true that some fans will enjoy them both for that reason? Sure. But when you take the two games as a whole there's such a small overlap that it just sounds goofy.

Like, even describing Zelda as a Metroidvania would make me roll my eyes.

Oct 27, 2017
So I've only attempted the first GoW back in the day, and I couldn't get into it from the gameplay perspective. However, I understand that the games kinda need one another to understand the story. Gameplay asidr, how lost would I be if I jump into this game, having zero backstory to the franchise?

Here's the backstory for all Gow titles prior to this one: Kratos is an asshole and kills all the gods in Greece. Now you're good ;P
Joking aside, I've only rented the first Gow on PS2 back in the days...never touched this franchise again. Don't worry, you won't get lost and there are plenty of 5-7 minutes recaps on YT.

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Because "new gear opens up old areas" and "puzzles" are a really simpliatic, reductionist understanding of what makes Zelda appealing. It's like - Age of Mythology fans will love God of War, because it mixes Norse and Greek myths together!

Like, is it true that some fans will enjoy them both for that reason? Sure. But when you take the two games as a whole there's such a small overlap that it just sounds goofy.

I've only played Twilight Princess, Wind Waker and Breath of the Wild so I'm not the best person to speak to regarding the comparisons - its just the one that comes to mind for me.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm still not sure how old 3D Zelda games ever had good puzzles and how exactly BOTW lacked those? Also i am left scratching my head even as i read this thread to what kind of itch is God of War even supposed to scratch,that BotW supposedly did not? The games are completely different.

Any 3D Zelda game, pre BOTW reused the tired old, push block on a switch, look around the room to hit the big eyeball or crystal to unlock the door and use a specific item that you found in this very linear and easy dungeon. That in question also got completely useless the second you left the dungeon. This was about as far puzzle design in 3D Zelda went since OOT. The best puzzles were in a dungeon like the Water Temple that required you to change certain things in the dungeon, which would effect it completely and how you navigate it. It actually made the player stop and think. This is something all BOTW dungeons have and it's partially the reason why dungeons in that game were a massive step up from the previous games. However stuff like this was the exception in 3D Zelda games and not the rule. The games made sure to guide the player on a linear path as much as possible with no room for true exploration.

The best dungeons in Zelda games have always been the nonlinear ones and 3D Zelda games have been stared to death for those, since Nintendo has gone completely overboard with making all Old 3D games as accessible as humanly possible even if it means making the games themselves worse. The opening tutorial hours of the games have become torture by the time TP came out. I don't think God of War ever suffers from tutorial bloat both in this new game or the old ones.

Skyward Sword took puzzle solving, (if you can even call it that) to an even more tedious level by making the mere act of basic combat a "puzzle". This meant that the game reused the same simple "puzzle" of hitting the enemy in a clearly telegraphed weak spot through finicky motion controls over a thousand times on a single play through. This made combat, slow,awkward and a complete waste of time, since the reward for beating a single enemy would usually be a completely useless trinket that you can find everywhere and would never need to use to upgrade your basic equipment since the game was laughably easy. The whole upgrading system in the game was rendered completely useless since Nintendo did not balance the game properly. This is a area where BOTW and the new God of War don't mess up.

In SS and most other 3D Zelda games since OOT dungeons became so restricted, that the only way to ever get stuck is if you somehow forgot how the past Zelda game(s) worked. The only dungeon that offered any sort of thinking on the player's part in SS was the final dungeon which was the only good dungeon in the game since it required you to shift the rooms around to progress and it did not have your annoying companion ruin it, like it did for every other potentially decent puzzle in the game. It's the only part in the game that did not feel like a Simon Say's game.

I don't even know what some are talking about when comparing the new God of War game with 3D Zelda games. This new God of War has far more exploration and the puzzles are nowhere near as simplistic as they were in pre BOTW Zelda games. In fact if you are looking for something that more resembles pre BOTW Zelda then the old God of War games would probably be more like something you would enjoy on a puzzle solving level. Since they had the push block on a switch puzzle that later games would keep reusing for no reason.

I'm not even joking when i say that the entire premise of this thread baffles me. The RE4 comparison at least made a degree of sense.

Deleted member 9584

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I agree with this. You can superficially connect almost any game to Zelda if you pick your points. I've been a life long Zelda fan and played a lot of Zelda-likes, and after 25 hours of play I would not compare this game to Zelda anymore than I would compare Rise of the Tomb Raider to Zelda. The comparisons sound good on paper but are very shallow when playing. It doesn't feel like a Zelda game in any way, shape, or form to me. And that's not a knock against the game, I think it's a fantastic game.

Yoshi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
As far as I know, Zelda is a relic of the past ever since 09. The new standard for for such types of games has been the Soul's series ever since.
The Souls games are nothing like Zelda and offer no puzzles at all, which is one of the three gameplay cornerstones of Zelda. Also the combat is totally different in nature.

Llazy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I agree with this. You can superficially connect almost any game to Zelda if you pick your points. I've been a life long Zelda fan and played a lot of Zelda-likes, and after 25 hours of play I would not compare this game to Zelda anymore than I would compare Rise of the Tomb Raider to Zelda. The comparisons sound good on paper but are very shallow when playing. It doesn't feel like a Zelda game in any way, shape, or form to me. And that's not a knock against the game, I think it's a fantastic game.
I'm sure it's a great game but it is a knock against the whole point of this thread. The Op is misleading a lot of people with what they are saying.

Bartend3r

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, this game feels like anything else for me. I've been gaming for more than 20 years and I've felt this way only two times before: FF VI and OoT.

Huge huge achievement.

Oct 27, 2017
All you need to know is the Gods fucked up Kratos childhood as a kid by taking his mother and brother. Since he had no parents and shitty childhood he grew up to be a psychopathic dickhead. One day in war his army was dying so he asked Ares for the power to defeat the enemy for his life in return. Ares agreed and made him his personal warrior then one day he wanted to "turn him into the perfect warrior" by making him kill his family under an influence which made him not recognise them. The ashes on his skin came from his dead family who were burnt. Later he started serving the Gods thinking they will get away his visions he got from killing his family but the Gods kept fucking him over and not granting him this favor.

Later he defeated Ares and they made him the God of War and Kratos started waging wars around the world as a fuck you to the gods for killing his brother a few minutes after he reunited with him and for making him kill his mother who were turned into a hideous monster. The gods then betrayed Kratos and he killed them all which made the world go to hell.

This game starts thousands of years later with Kratos somehow living in the Norse world and having a kid.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So GoW is going to pick up where botw failed me?

I was interested in it after watching some gameplay, but it would be good to have that kind of experience again. Like a zelda bloodborne
Zelda BOTW bored me to death. I played for like 40 hours, did 45 shrines, 3 dungeons and couldnt do anymore. kept the game for a year and still couldnt come back to it. i was actually in a hospital overnight and took my switch hoping i would play it and i couldnt get myself to turn it on knowing how tedious of an experience it would be.

GoW is what Zelda should have been. The levels are linear and yet intricately designed. The puzzles arent super difficult but they require some thought and are very rewarding thanks to the deep upgrade system. you can pretty much customize your character which is kinda nuts for an action game.

the hub world is how you do open world games without feeling tedious. the combat is phenomenal. just plain fantastic. buy this game.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Zelda is more than just its combat though, and yes it's not the greatest but to give it credit at it's time OOT combat was revolutionary and lead the way for a lot of 3d combat systems after it.
I know Zelda is more than combat but the point stands, it's still trash. Zelda has way better puzzles however. There's positives and negatives compared to the other for each game. At the same time yes I acknowledge what Zelda's done in the past but let's not act like GoW hasn't changed the industry itself with it's graphics and QTEs. They've both done their part.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
120 hours played. The mechanics are still the same just more advanced.
Eh, that's... not true. BotW has substantially improved combat over the older games.

lol.

This isn't even the first time it has been suggested in this thread that I don't understand Zelda, or have a vested interest in comparing God of War to it, but it's still funny.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know Zelda is more than combat but the point stands, it's still trash. Zelda has way better puzzles however. There's positives and negatives compared to the other for each game. At the same time yes I acknowledge what Zelda's done in the past but let's not act like GoW hasn't changed the industry itself with it's graphics and QTEs. They've both done their part.
God of War isn't even Sony's most influential cinematic adventure series.