Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
god-of-war-key-art-01-ps4-us-01nov17

While this was something I was hoping for when God of War was revealed and as we were shown more of the game, it's something that the final game also lives up to, and something I am very happy about- the new God of War game is basically a(n OoT style, pre-BotW) Zelda game. It has the same kind of wide linear design, the same kind of Metroidvania-lite progression, the same kind of new area->progress->ability->backtrack->boss style of structure, plus a similar hub world teeming with all kinds of secrets and dungeons for those who want to go exploring. Even fast travel (with fixed points) is handled the same way, and there's a distinct flavor of charm, wittiness, and progression that feels like a very great spin on the OoT Zelda formula, but in a distinctly God of War way.

There is an observation about the new God of War game that it feels like it borrows far too much from other games- and it does. I think that in most cases, that works to the game's strength. With Zelda itself having moved on to a BotW style of game, God of War does a wonderful job of providing something in the vein of Ocarina and Wind Waker, and it does it remarkably well too. If you liked old-school Zelda, you should definitely check out God of War.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
It's definitely scratching the Zelda itch for me (I enjoyed Breath of the Wild, but it was a pretty big departure from the series post-Zelda 1). I have to mention how great the level design is here, too. They do a great job of looping you around areas and teasing treasure chests/secrets, thus enticing you to explore.

Deleted member 4037

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So GoW is going to pick up where botw failed me?

I was interested in it after watching some gameplay, but it would be good to have that kind of experience again. Like a zelda bloodborne

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's definitely scratching the Zelda itch for me (I enjoyed Breath of the Wild, but it was a pretty big departure from the series post-Zelda 1). I have to mention how great the level design is here, too. They do a great job of looping you around areas and teasing treasure chests/secrets, thus enticing you to explore.
Yeah, BotW is fantastic, but it did its own thing (which was necessary for the Zelda series, so I'm not complaining about it here). God of War kind of fills in the void that was left as a result, and yes, the design is great. The dungeons are fairly straightforward, but how the hubs loop on themselves is the really cool stuff that impresses me.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
I know "adult Zelda" is an asinine descriptor, but it's the one that kept going through my head, especially as I proceeded through the Hyrule Field esque lake.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
God of War is its own thing but I guess the exploration can be seen as a half-way between Zelda OOT and Zelda Wind-Waker with all the boating around and island treks. And many large dungeons & strongholds.
But then you add
multiple-dimensions.

I like that the weapons are multi-purposeful. The Leviathan axe can be used as a projectile for solving various puzzles but also it can freeze various mechanics. Then you have the elemental arrows etc.

Last edited:

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Does it have a focus on gadgets that interact with the world, puzzles, and enemies in unique ways? Growth wrt things other than combat that evolve the way the game plays and what is possible over time?

I like interconnected worlds with tight level design and a linear path that you discover through exploration (ignoring sequence breaking), but I also want that Zelda/Metroid gameplay and so many games focus on purely combat or story oriented progression instead.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
It is scratching a dungeon itch that I yearned for after playing BOTW, but calling OOT "old school zelda" is strange to me since you are obviously not referring to the original.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does it have a focus on gadgets that interact with the world, puzzles, and enemies in unique ways? Growth wrt things other than combat that evolve the way the game plays and what is possible over time?

I like interconnected worlds with tight level design and a linear path that you discover through exploration (ignoring sequence breaking), but I also want that Zelda/Metroid gameplay and so many games focus on purely combat or story oriented progression instead.
It does, but not exactly in the Zelda style. You do get abilities and gadgets that let you interact with the world, including the parts of the world you have already been to, in new and unique ways as you progress through the game.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
It's definitely influenced by it, but I'd be wary advising this.

Don't go in expecting as many interesting puzzles or items. Those are the focus of old school Zelda, while they are more side things in GoW.

Courage

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I was literally gonna make a thread similar to this, and whether this game is scratching that Zelda itch for people who didn't like BotW. Without spoiling too much the game definitely has that central hub -> 'dungeons' loop with its realms. You even get
light arrows!

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
lol, there are like 8 god of war related threads there on the first page.
i actually didn't follow the news about this game prior to release so i'm very surprised to see it being comapred to zelda games and metroudvanias.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
I may need to play this sooner than later. Can you list some more spoiler free examples OP?

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I was literally gonna make a thread similar to this, and whether this game is scratching that Zelda itch for people who didn't like BotW. Without spoiling too much the game definitely has that central hub -> 'dungeons' loop with its realms. You even get
light arrows!
You also get

Shock Arrows :P

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
light arrows!
I liked BotW and it still satisfies the old Zelda itch for me :P

lol, there are like 8 god of war related threads there on the first page.
i actually didn't follow the news about this game prior to release so i'm very surprised to see it being comapred to zelda games and metroudvanias.
Yeah, they went wide linear with the new game, which is awesome, and much needed after how tired the old design got.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
so the revolutionary gameplay change for GoD it was just making more like Zelda?

KaiPow

Oct 25, 2017

Yes, you'll start to recognize the telltale clues of paths that are just out of reach or a conspicuous red cluster covering a treasure chest that requires later abilities. God of War smartly rewards the player for exploring every time they discover a new ability or approach the area from another angle.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
It does, but not exactly in the Zelda style. You do get abilities and gadgets that let you interact with the world, including the parts of the world you have already been to, in new and unique ways as you progress through the game.
Interesting. I've never had any interest in the franchise but the buzz around this entry makes me think about trying it at some point. We'll see.

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Yup although ppl going into it must be prepared for the following - God of War has way way better combat than Zelda but worse puzzles. The balance is tilted differently

Deleted member 16576

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Without spoiling anything, the weapons themselves have varying abilities that interact with the world. Think less gadgets, and more Metroid style weapon upgrades that allow you to unlock otherwise unreachable areas in prior locations. It's actually pretty clever the way the world loops around, and you will find plenty of great reasons to go back to past locations and explore for more gear and lore tidbits.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Yup although ppl going into it must be prepared for the following - God of War has way way better combat than Zelda but worse puzzles. The balance is tilted differently
Funny enough, this was the case with GoW1-3 as well

Without spoiling anything, the weapons themselves have varying abilities that interact with the world. Think less gadgets, and more Metroid style weapon upgrades that allow you to unlock otherwise unreachable areas in prior locations. It's actually pretty clever the way the world loops around, and you will find plenty of great reasons to go back to past locations and explore for more gear and lore tidbits.
Yeah, I'd say there's just as much, if not more, of a Metroid influence than Zelda

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
My GF who doesn't play games sans maybe a few when she was younger has been watching me and said "This reminds me of the Zelda" the other day. It definitely has that feeling with the backtracking, new upgrades to unlock new pathes etc that you'd find in games like Zelda/Metroid. The original God of Wars has stuff like this too but never on this level.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I may need to play this sooner than later. Can you list some more spoiler free examples OP?
Sure:
  • Progression is gear and item based, with new abilities giving you new ways to interact with the world over time
  • There's a central hub world that branches out into different directions, but it's not open world (you can't access any area the story hasn't reached yet); within what you can access, you can go around traipsing through dungeons, solving puzzles, doing side quests, picking up collectibles and upgrades, and so on
  • Your character's primary stats are governed by collectibles (there are secondary stats that are in turn governed by what gear you have on)
  • The general dungeon structure so far in the game has relied on the Zelda style "enter, progress, get new ability, loop back, boss", albeit not as explicitly
  • There are dungeons and puzzles, albeit, again, not quite as much of a focus as in old Zelda
But it isn't Zelda though, I want to play as Link and do the stuff that I like in the Zelda game rather than play some substitute.
I mean, I didn't say it's Zelda, lol, I said it's influenced by Zelda

Interesting. I've never had any interest in the franchise but the buzz around this entry makes me think about trying it at some point. We'll see.
Yeah, plus the new one is a good entry point

lost7

Feb 20, 2018
There is a part in the game where you can observe most of the locations you explored from a high view and it was at that moment that I realised just how masterful the level design of the world was.

Honestly, it's a candidate for GOTG in my book

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
God of War isn't really like Zelda, its better.

I would not say better. It depends on tastes really. If you want better execution that involves utilizing gear to solve intricate puzzles then Zelda is better but if you value combat system and a game that feels more robust mechanically then God of War is a better option.

There are similarities for sure but the combat puzzle balance is different.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
It's definitely influenced by it, but I'd be wary advising this.

Don't go in expecting as many interesting puzzles or items. Those are the focus of old school Zelda, while they are more side things in GoW.

I've had moments where I thought it was giving me a modernized OoT formula feel, but they've been short lived.

This is it's own thing, and it's good, but it only barely feels like old Zelda.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
God of War isn't really like Zelda, its better.
Combat and story-wise definitely.

Everything else? Nah. Not so far.

It's ok though, they focus on different things.

Still will end up one of my GOATs though
I've had moments where I thought it was giving me a modernized OoT formula feel, but they've been short lived.

This is it's own thing, and it's good, but it only barely feels like old Zelda.
Pretty much how I feel. The influence is there, but it's definitely it's own thing, and it's great.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Combat and story-wise definitely.

Everything else? Nah. Not so far.

It's ok though, they focus on different things.

Still will end up one of my GOATs though
I don't even know about story yet, I really liked OOT and TWW's stories, and GoW hasn't given me much to work with so far. We'll see haha.

Masterspeed

Oct 25, 2017
England
Now I love God of War and I'm really, really excited to buy this one (I had to buy the Yakuza 6 After Hours edition first) but damn, do we really need about 5 threads a day about it?

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
god-of-war-key-art-01-ps4-us-01nov17

While this was something I was hoping for when God of War was revealed and as we were shown more of the game, it's something that the final game also lives up to, and something I am very happy about- the new God of War game is basically a(n OoT style, pre-BotW) Zelda game. It has the same kind of wide linear design, the same kind of Metroidvania-lite progression, the same kind of new area->progress->ability->backtrack->boss style of structure, plus a similar hub world teeming with all kinds of secrets and dungeons for those who want to go exploring. Even fast travel (with fixed points) is handled the same way, and there's a distinct flavor of charm, wittiness, and progression that feels like a very great spin on the OoT Zelda formula, but in a distinctly God of War way.

There is an observation about the new God of War game that it feels like it borrows far too much from other games- and it does. I think that in most cases, that works to the game's strength. With Zelda itself having moved on to a BotW style of game, God of War does a wonderful job of providing something in the vein of Ocarina and Wind Waker, and it does it remarkably well too. If you liked old-school Zelda, you should definitely check out God of War.

Great endorsement, but old school Zelda isn't Ocarina of Time, friend. Actually, if old school Zelda is what you want, then BotW is the game to play funny enough - ha.

But yeah GoW looks dope.

Escalario

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If anything, this thread makes me less likely to ever try this. It's hillarious how every single time a "hey guys try this [non-Nintendo game] because it's totally like [Nintendo game]" threads assure me people have no idea what those Nintendo franchises actually are. Never fails to make me laugh at how desperate those people are trying and failing to compare those franchises to Nintendo's juggernauts.

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
So GoW is going to pick up where botw failed me?

I was interested in it after watching some gameplay, but it would be good to have that kind of experience again. Like a zelda bloodborne

If you had to sum it up in two words, that's pretty much it. Obviously there's a lot more going on with the presentation and story, but if you mashed those two games together you'd get the essence of it.