Jhey Cyphre

Oct 25, 2017
Is this basically the Bethesda Fallout game I have been waiting for?

No main story, just go out... scavenge, explore and kill stuff?

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I went to The Mire. Completely devoid of players, great beautiful sights, hands down the best in any Bethesda game to date. High level enemies, but if felt so good being there. Managing between enemies trying to kill you, food and water running low, and having little to no ammo. My weapon broke on me and I had to improvise. Even found a nuke code in a wandering feral ghoul officer. I noticed that the framerate is actually quite great on The Mire area.

Very good impressions so far.
What's the deal with The Mire, anyway? I guessed a few months back that it was a radioactive swampland created by the nuking of nearby Washington DC and the failure of the Potomac river, but I can't find any real gameplay footage or screenshots with which to verify.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Unfortunately, yes. No human NPCs to meet, side quests, main quests, etc. Just explore, and other human players will be exploring too. My worst nightmare. Couldn't come up with a less appealing Fallout concept.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
The one positive thing I can say about this game is that its open world looks immediately more appealing than Fallout 4's, which isn't really a high bar to clear as that was the most boring open world Bethesda has ever done.
Oblivion? Fallout 3?

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I have a screenshot, but I don't know if I want to post it. Basically The Mire is kind of an open area with "clusters" of pink forests. These are highly toxic and you need a gas mask to navigate. Some Super Mutant have makeshift settlements inside of them. A LOT of dead NPCs farmers, quite sad sights to see. They are all decaying in their little ranches. I found a couple holding hands on bed, their faces disfigured, and they had a little balcony with their plantations. Made me a little sad.
I wouldn't post it but I appreciate the description for sure.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Not sure where you get the impression there is nothing to do in this game and there is no story when lore is everywhere just not presented to you by human NPCs.

NPCs doesn't just presented you quest in previous games, they gave and showed you story in cutscenes and stuff, that will be completely missing here. Also the human race as enemy in general.
It's fine that there is "lore everywhere" but to be honest. While I liked it to read through stuff on PCs and more here and there in previous games, if the whole game is just that, read stuff on paper, notes and PCs, that's unacceptable as core element in the year 2018 in my eyes. That's just cheap and boring and nothing more then an excuse. That's, uhm, simply is just not fun.

I agree with most of the pvp stuff tho, there seems to be some ideas behind it at least and while I'm not 100% happy about it, it could work.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Fallout 76 is a video game.
pics or I don't believe you
alright ERA fess up which one of you killjoys did it
tenor.gif

Nah, it also wasn't me, Austin.

rare

Oct 25, 2017
performance is really bad and it doesn't feel like fallout
cancelled my preorder

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
NPCs doesn't just presented you quest in previous games, they gave and showed you story in cutscenes and stuff, that will be completely missing here. Also the human race as enemy in general.
It's fine that there is "lore everywhere" but to be honest. While I liked it to read through stuff on PCs and more here and there in previous games, if the whole game is just that, read stuff on paper, notes and PCs, that's unacceptable as core element in the year 2018 in my eyes. That's just cheap and boring and nothing more then an excuse. That's, uhm, simply is just not fun.

I agree with most of the pvp stuff tho, there seems to be some ideas behind it at least and while I'm not 100% happy about it, it could work.
For me I see at as survival game with much more to do than every other survival game I've played. More enemy variety, quests, a world I want to explore and tons more items. I don't mind the lack of NPC and story elements because I knew it wasn't in the game from the second they announced it and what they proposed seems right up my alley. I can see how others might be disappointed in this as a Fallout game though.

Jhey Cyphre

Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately, yes. No human NPCs to meet, side quests, main quests, etc. Just explore, and other human players will be exploring too. My worst nightmare. Couldn't come up with a less appealing Fallout concept.

I get where you are coming from. New Vegas is my favorite game of all time... and the way Bethesda has treated the series is a disgrace. However, there was a lot fun to be had in F4 on survival mode. All the different mechanics just combined into a really great experience as a shooter. It reminded me a lot of the Stalker series. The only thing holding it back was the pesky insistence on having a story and characters that had some agency.

If this game can be a true standbox, focusing on all the good stuff from F4 with only "ambient" stories I'm going to find myself playing this a lot.

RagdollRhino

Banned
Oct 10, 2018
From what I saw it looked pretty decent and I hated FO4. If the launch build really improves on this we could be in for something special. Obviously, we'll have to contend with drive by posts from people who wanted a singleplayer FO, but that's a given.

RedbullCola

Oct 26, 2017

Actually, yes.

My biggest take away - by making a multiplayer game, they accidentally made the best single player game. It's haunting. There's actually a ton of stuff to do and world building (including deeply personal quests played out by audio tapes and notes). Also lots of lore - it fills out a bunch of Fallout lore.

It's really sad and haunting. There's just you. From 3 hours I only saw a handful of other players the entire time, the map is absolutely huge and only has 24 players across the whole thing. It was a ghost town. I loved it.

Katarn343

Jan 22, 2018
México - United States
Actually, yes.

My biggest take away - by making a multiplayer game, they accidentally made the best single player game. It's haunting. There's actually a ton of stuff to do and world building (including deeply personal quests played out by audio tapes and notes). Also lots of lore - it fills out a bunch of Fallout lore.

It's really sad and haunting. There's just you. From 3 hours I only saw a handful of other players the entire time, the map is absolutely huge and only has 24 players across the whole thing. It was a ghost town. I loved it.
My thoughts exactly. Whoever is writing these little scenery pieces is great.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I don't understand the point of VATS if it's not slowed down or stopped

RedbullCola

Oct 26, 2017
My thoughts exactly. Whoever is writing these little scenery pieces is great.

Some of the audio tapes are amazing. Truly. Because they don't have to worry about lip syncing NPCs they've let the voice actors go to town - I found one with a woman recounting, in tears, about her whole family starving to death. And found the bodies.

It's super grim. I ended up with a ton of tapes, quests and new marked map locations from 3 hours random exploring.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Actually, yes.

After seeing their retcon for the brotherhood of steel i dont want them "filling fallout lore". Rather have them doing (and ruining) their own things.

Which is why i dont mind the scorched, better than if they made ghouls be this hivemind, aggressive but still intelligent entity.

RedbullCola

Oct 26, 2017
After seeing their retcon for the brotherhood of steel i dont want them "filling fallout lore". Rather have them doing (and ruining) their own things.

Which is why i dont mind the scorched, better than if they made ghouls be this hivemind, aggressive but still intelligent entity.

I really liked what they did with the lore that I saw (and the press coverage on BoS is bad, as it's a very partial picture).

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
I really liked what they did with the lore that I saw (and the press coverage on BoS is bad, as it's a very partial picture).

How was the press coverage "bad"? There's no sense or reason for the brotherhood to be in West Virginia this soon. Would take a really well written explanation for it to connect the dots and i don't trust Emil Pagliarulo to be the man to write it. Hopefully he isn't the lead writer for 76 then (do we know who the lead writer for 76 is after all? there were some empty rumours about Avellone that were quickly shot down and then nothing)

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017

that's basically what i want out of it. just a chill experience - with MP but it's not a theme park with 50 guys running around you collecting 11 iguana bits for the some quest or whatever

ShinySunny

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
How old is their graphic engine?
It is 2018, but I am not seeing anything even remotely close to other modern MMO/MP graphic at all.
Trees are flat, edges on everything, environments look like low setting ARMA/PUBG, and human and enemy models on par with Second Life.
Grasses look good though, but then again, tall grasses always look good.

And those movement/animation...They can't be releasing the game in that state, right?
Looking at your party members and their crab walk animation is so janky and weird af.

Apr 8, 2018
Played from the start to the end of the test with a friend. Didn't touch on any story stuff, but we had some fun. My only major complaint would have to be the frame rate at times. Hoping the Beta or final release build fixes that, but I'm not holding my breath.

Also, kind of disappointed there wasn't a nuke dropped at the end of the test like they did at the press event. Me and my friend went back to Vault 76 at like a quarter till 9 incase it happened lol.

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
How old is their graphic engine?
It is 2018, but I am not seeing anything even remotely close to other modern MMO/MP graphic at all.
Trees are flat, edges on everything, environments look like low setting ARMA/PUBG, and human and enemy models on par with Second Life.
Grasses look good though, but then again, tall grasses always look good.

And those movement/animation...They can't be releasing the game in that state, right?
Looking at your party members and their crab walk animation is so janky and weird af.
Creation Engine predates Fallout 3 so incredibly old.

This game looks so unappealing it's not even funny, I legitimately wonder who the crowd is for Rust Lite without any other things to prop it up.

RAWRferal

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
Is this confirmed the same build as the recent press event and not later?

Just trying to gauge if what they were saying regarding optimization and framerate is true

Katarn343

Jan 22, 2018
México - United States
So, for those who played. We can all agree that the OST is beautiful, right? Fits the setting so well. I also think I heard a couple of Fallout 4 themes in there, but they weren't abundant.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I've participated in a couple betas recently that had my username and a unique code watermark that's always on-screen and switches places every few seconds. Those were pretty strict about not sharing screens and video.
Were they heavily advertised as features of pre-ordering?

OP
OP
RedRum

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm going to pass on CoD this year and put my money towards this. I wonder if the beta will run on a more updated build as well as give an accurate representation of players within the world. With so many players on when I played, I could indeed seeing the framerate suffer. However, with a small group of friends I think I will most definitely enjoy playing this.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm going to pass on CoD this year and put my money towards this. I wonder if the beta will run on a more updated build as well as give an accurate representation of players within the world. With so many players on when I played, I could indeed seeing the framerate suffer. However, with a small group of friends I think I will most definitely enjoy playing this.

With the beta progress rolling into the full version, I would anticipate it to either be the launch code or damn near close.