Becks'

Dec 7, 2017
Canada
giphy.gif

You thought Eastern European / Balkan country would win?

Congrats to Switzerland.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
All the pro-Israel voters vote for Israel. Pro-Palestinian voters have no country to rally behind. That's why Israel (and Ukraine) do so well. If Palestine was competing you might be able to take something from it.
The vast vast vast majority are voting on songs in a song contest and not on what's happening in the middle east. For Israel to find 40% of the Italian vote when 2nd place was 7% implies there was a major outside influence that isn't normally present.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
the UK giving 12 to Israel is not surprising but no less disgusting, very sad the current state of our country.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
The vast vast vast majority are voting on songs in a song contest and not on what's happening in the middle east. For Israel to find 40% of the Italian vote when 2nd place was 7% implies there was a major outside influence that isn't normally present.
So maybe that the Italians liked the style of song a lot? We don't need to jump straight to conspiracy nonsense.

Oct 29, 2017
Switzerland wasn't among my favorites, but Nemo seems very likeable and at least it wasn't Israel.

gutshot

Oct 25, 2017
Toscana, Italy
You are naive if you don't think that countries manipulate stuff like this to help sway public opinion. This is the world we live in now. Astroturfing social media and, yes, even a song contest, is part of the game.

Anyway, super happy for Nemo. Loved that they performed the encore with the crown. Hope they get a new trophy!

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland

Kandon Arc

Aug 30, 2023
A strong public vote for Israel would show that a significant number of people were motivated to support the act [including to oppose protests against it] Lots of votes reveal little about overall balance of opinion (for, against, neutral) Would need public polling for that.

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
Yes clearly they liked it more than every other song combined for an historical high share of the vote. Definitely not anything more at play.

Let's just deny there were advertising campaigns encouraging 20 votes for Israel as well. I'm sure they all just liked the song.
I also got advertisements for other songs. Plenty of broadcasters advertise voting for their song.

Israel vote is probably a combination of Israel having a pretty decent song, counter protest vote and some sympathy votes. This is the simplest solution.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Von der Leyen definitely made the call and told EBU to give israel and Ukraine more points

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Israel vote is probably a combination of Israel having a pretty decent song, counter protest vote and some sympathy votes. This is the simplest solution.

Israel getting as many points from the televote as it did is unprecedented for an absolute mid song. It was purely politically motivated.

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I have the Eurovision 2024 playlist open on Spotify and it just refreshed in front of me reordering the songs in order of the final placement (I think). And changed the album art to Nemo too. A little weird to see everything flip around suddenly

LNBL

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
It's interesting that Switzerland was only 5th at the televoting. Last year there was a lot of controversy surrounding Loreen who came in second. It seems like people are okay with it this year.

I'm against isreal competing but even the Dutch commentator was questioning the fact Isreal didn't got a lot of jury votes. The song of Israel was amongst the better performed songs. I'm happy isreal didn't win though so in this case I'm a bit hypocritical.

Anyway. I'm glad it's over. Croatia their song grew on me but the song people will remember is Europapa

MrPanic

Oct 25, 2017
Another year where my favorite got second because of those damned jury votes, bleh. Oh well, congrats to Switzerland, it was a good song.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Happy that Nemo won. They were tied with Ireland for me, two very different songs that stood out against the rest of the participants.

And very relieved that Israel didn't win.

Also, I don't get the hype for Croatia? It was a completely forgettable song. For an audience favourite it had nothing that stood out to me, unlike something like Käärijäs song and performance from last year.

Tsunami561

Mar 7, 2023

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
So maybe that the Italians liked the style of song a lot? We don't need to jump straight to conspiracy nonsense.
Eurovision voting is always political.

Ukraine won in 2022 because they got overwhelming amount of audience vote due to the war, despite UK leading Jury votes by a wife margin and Ukraine being in the lower middle table point wise acter jury votes. It's not a stretch to assume the same is true this time for Israel given how the public and govt opinion for a lot of countries is pro Israel.

Rynam

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Might get Tickets for the finals next year. Wonder how many hundreds of francs they will cost.

DuoRox

Oct 28, 2017
So.. i have been thinking..

The People who vote on Israël would not have been swayed from Joost to vote for him.

However it do think People who have voted for swiss/Ireland/France/Croatia would have been swayed and maybe with him in the mix It could have been a win for Israël..

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
eurovision sucks and has always been political particular last 2 decades. thats why you get snacks and drinks and enjoy it drunk. its a shit show and you forget about it the next morning until next year

and at times makes no sense. htf does this 2024 german song have >100 votes compared to 2023 german song that was great and got what, 0? lol. its a shit show guys

dstarMDA

Dec 22, 2017
Went in blind and I 100% do not understand Croatia hype. I thought Switzerland was heads and shoulders above anyone else and don't really get how it can be 4th in public vote.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
So.. i have been thinking..

The People who vote on Israël would not have been swayed from Joost to vote for him.

However it do think People who have voted for swiss/Ireland/France/Croatia would have been swayed and maybe with him in the mix It could have been a win for Israël..
Difficult to say. I think Croatia would have benefited from Joost competing since Isreal basically lost because of the jury. Israël only could have won had they scored 444 points. That's not very realistic.

Joost would have definitely done wel amongst the voters so votes would be split more amongst the Netherlands, Switzerland and Croatia. With Joost in the mix Switzerland might have done worse at the jury giving Croatia more chances to catch up.

Still Croatia, Netherlands and Switzerland would have easily scored the 180 points needed to beat Isreal had isreal scored 330 points again

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Do a large part of the population support the Israeli government or the violence against Palestine? For sure.

But out of the people who would actively watch and vote on Eurovision?

There were boycotts on the part of pro-Palestinian folks here which probably overlaps with the demo that would ordinarily watch and vote in Eurovision.

Anecdotal, but meanwhile I saw a fair number of Irish right wingers online encouraging votes for Israel in order to spite the lefty protests and boycotts, and indeed our own performer who they happen to also detest and who made no secret of their pro-Palestinian views.

So between those two dynamics the table may have been set for an amplified vote for Israel from Ireland from a relatively small cohort vs the general population. No external conspiracies required.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
Of course there are "politics" at Eurovision.
Every vote is named after an country, and not the artist or song.
It isn't Nemo for Switzerland, it is Switzerland with Nemo.

What do people expect if votes are for countries and not named artists and songs ?

Clessidor

Oct 30, 2017
and at times makes no sense. htf does this 2024 german song have >100 votes compared to 2023 german song that was great and got what, 0? lol. its a shit show guys
Different years, different circumstances. last year had a high focus on Loreen vs Käärja. It was probably harder for Blood and Glitter to stick out, and Jury didn't vibe with the genre in general.
This year was quite different with way more favorites, which allowed people to spread out their votes more. And Always on the run was way more Jury friendly.