• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gig

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
This is just the right amount of ridiculous to be a real Nintendo leak.

They've been talking about blowing up the conventions of their franchises for like two years now. I'll bet this is legit.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
I would really, really prefer F-Zero by Retro over this. But I'll keep an open mind. Hope the Diddy Kong Racing comparisons turn out accurate. And give me playable Leon!

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
These oh you complain now but later you will all praise it might be true for some but I know I don't want a racing game. I don't care if it's the greatest racing game ever made, the best racing game is not as good as a classic action adventure game. I want an action adventure game from one of the best developers who made one of the greatest action adventure series ever. So make ACTION ADVENTURE games!!!!!!

This better be a lie.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don;t think people are talking quality wise but rather reception wise. I'm sure the game will be great, but if it's not what people want then the reception will probably get nasty from both Star Fox and F-Zero fans.
Star Fox and F-Zero fans are a dying breed. They're nowhere near as prominent as Metroid fans.

Plus, Federation Force had a total shitshow of a reveal trailer which was compounded by it's low budget. If this is anywhere near as exciting as it sounds, they have a good chance to wow people straight from the get go.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Retro guy: "We were thinking about making a sci-fi racer."

Nintendo Guy: "Oh that's cool."

RG: "Do you have any properties we could use for that?"

NG: "..."

RG "You know a futuristic high speed racer?"

RG: "Possibly from one of your less popular franchises?"

RG: "With a lead named after an animal?"

NG: " Star Fox?"

RG: "........You know what sure, let's go with that."
This is my head canon now

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And this, ASSUMING IT'S TRUE, would make it a bad game, how? You don't see any hyperbole or overreaction in any of those statements? Come on.
Nobody is talking about quality. You guys need to stop pushing that narrative.

It's a spinoff title in a limited genre to a series that's completely confused on what it is. Star Fox hasn't had a great game in over 20 years.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Again, there is a difference between what you are saying (i.e. a situation I have never said I have any issue with) and people who are violently against the very idea of this game because it doesn't meet their notions of what Retro should do.
No one is violently reacting. That's my point. Stop trying to paint negativity towards this like it's an angry mob.

My friend, the point of those arguments is to demonstrate that jumping the gun on judging a game before we actually properly know what the game is is a terrible idea.
If you don't like the series or care about the genre, there's no wait and see that will suddenly change your mind.

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I have faith this will be really good at a minimum but I am chuckling at the thought of new Retro hires going in on their first day and being told they're working on a star fox racer.

IgMyx.gif

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the reality that a lot of you don't want to accept is that starfox has a much more likeable and marketable universe than f-zero

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Anyway stop comparing it to Federation Force: that was a low budget title from a minor studio.

Also Tom Philips doesn't exactly have the best track record for Nintendo related leaks (Pokemon Stars, Mother 3 in 2016)

Wasn't also the same guy that posted that "interview" with Miyamoto like every year since 2014 where he says that Pikmin 4 is ready? I've the feeling that interview never existed. lol

Baleoce

Oct 27, 2017
I don;t think people are talking quality wise but rather reception wise. I'm sure the game will be great, but if it's not what people want then the reception will probably get nasty from both Star Fox and F-Zero fans.
Just sounds like entitlement to me. They likely want to shake things up to boost the popularity of the franchise's. If it was successful it could even mean more interest in those IPs going forward. Fact is they don't sell well right now and need a hand.

ASilentProtagonist

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Retro has more than earned my trust, and respect. I'll wait to see this before I judge, as most should.

This game could be awesome.

MONSTER

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People behaving like FZero is a legitimate franchise LMAO!

That franchise has been dead for eons and let's not ignore the fact that the last game on that franchise sold like shit so where were all of you lot preaching the good will of FZero when it was flopping harder than a fish out of water?

200.gif

Serenitynow

Oct 25, 2017
I think Star Fox as a franchise (and not necessarily as a rail shooter) has far more potential than F-Zero. I think Nintendo (read: Miyamoto) really wants Star Fox to be mainstream relevant, and for that to happen that franchise needs a new genre. Racing just happens to be one of the most accessible, even if it steps on F-Zero's toes a little bit.

gig

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Oh shit I forgot Rare did Mario Kart 7.

Starting to really want this now.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
So there's going to be anthropomorphic bird versions of Captain Falcon and Samus in this as guest characters, right, along with a space Donkey Kong in some kind of ship made out of wood and rockets

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
the reality that a lot of you don't want to accept is that starfox has a much more likeable and marketable universe than f-zero
Eh, I'm not really sure I'd say that.

Captain Falcon at least is a fan favorite character just because of Smash, people love the guy.

I've never heard anyone think any of Star Fox's characters are amazing.

Plus a lot of F-Zero is a blank slate. They'd have tons of freedom.

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Is this the same studio behind the excellent Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze?

I hope I'm wrong.

The same studio behind the Metroid Prime trilogy, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Tropical Freeze and they also helped Nintendo with Mario Kart 7.

These are all critically acclaimed games, but for some reason people here are expecting another Federation Force lol

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Eh, I'm not really sure I'd say that.

Captain Falcon at least is a fan favorite character just because of Smash, people love the guy.

I've never heard anyone think any of Star Fox's characters are amazing
Well, I think for the larger public, Star Fox is far more palatable as a universe and set of characters than F-Zero. As a reminder, Star Fox actually was a mainstream hit series on the SNES and N64; F-Zero never was.

gig

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Oh never mind, they only helped w/ Donkey Kong bits of MK7. Ignore me.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

This is not what i expected Retro studios to be. There's already many and competent platformer games with Nintendo, there's already arcade racers, one of the best of all time we just got a year ago.

I imagined Retro would expand the library in genres Nintendo don't output. Yeah yeah talent and their quality is always good, but they're much less hypeable games (in my opinion) than an FPS adventure ala Metroid prime they used to output.
At least it's an IP that desperately needs some new hands on it.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Poor racing genre getting the 2d platformer treatment of "just a racer".
Meanwhile Nintendo also laugh to the bank on top of a lucrative kart racer

So there's going to be anthropomorphic bird versions of Captain Falcon and Samus in this as guest characters, right, along with a space Donkey Kong in some kind of ship made out of wood and rockets
Chozo Samus and Falcon Falcon? works for me

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
These oh you complain now but later you will all praise it might be true for some but I know I don't want a racing game. I don't care if it's the greatest racing game ever made, the best racing game is not as good as a classic action adventure game. I want an action adventure game from one of the best developers who made one of the greatest action adventure series ever. So make ACTION ADVENTURE games!!!!!!

This better be a lie.
Even if they did do another action adventure game it would be very different from the Prime games people hold in such high regard. The talent that was responsible for those games have long left the company, and are now at places like 343 and Armature.

If anything I'd say that the announcement last year that we're getting a Prime 4 is probably going to soften the blow for a lot of people who had such unbridled faith that Retro's next game would be Metroid. In retrospect, a single logo announcement last year probably staved them from a lot of scrutiny.

Status
Not open for further replies.