• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
User Banned (1 Day): Ignoring mod post regarding inflammatory generalisations.
LOL. Everytime I'm in an EB games and hear the staff talking about games my eyes go wide and all I can think is you have no idea wtf you're talking about.

I even heard a staff member recommend Witcher 3 to a less than 10 year old, saying if he liked kingdom hearts he'll like this. :|
I've heard many times staff say things like "Oh this wont work on that console" (it does) or "That accessory works with that" (It doesn't)
Mind boggling stuff.

MisterMangu

Banned
Feb 12, 2018
Oh absolutely, but nobody there did try it out nor was it playable. Attendees just had to spend the last 20 minutes of a 3 day key note presentation watching someone play who apparently wasn't very good at it and wouldn't get into any fire fights. lol

You've also got to remember that they were watching instead of playing and the demo itself came after 3 days full of (generally) boring conferences. Without a personality backing it up simply watching a game being played is likely to be met by boredom by people who can't participate themselves. I'd say that holds true for pretty much any game out there. I posted this before but the DOOM E3 2015 demo is a perfect example of how an incredibly non-boring game can be made to look dull by way of a poor presentation:

Whoops, I guess I misread, I thought they played for 20 mins not watched.

While that does change things, they [rockstar] most definitely should have chosen a better player and or a better segment to present.

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan, USA
LOL. Everytime I'm in an EB games and hear the staff talking about games my eyes go wide and all I can think is you have no idea wtf you're talking about.

I even heard a staff member recommend Witcher 3 to a less than 10 year old, saying if he liked kingdom hearts he'll like this. :|
I've heard many times staff say things like "Oh this wont work on that console" (it does) or "That accessory works with that" (It doesn't)
Mind boggling stuff.

Um ok? Cool story bro i guess?

Whoops, I guess I misread, I thought they played for 20 mins not watched.

While that does change things, they [rockstar] most definitely should have chosen a better player and or a better segment to present.

Yeah I think handing off the reigns, so to speak heh, to someone unfamiliar in a open world RPG sim maybe wasn't the best idea. lol

Rockstar showcased the same demo themselves earlier in the year with an extended 20 minutes before hand of exploring the world, hunting, getting into a fight with a NPC and threatening them before doing the bank heist and showing the different options and planning you can do.

Onebadlion

Oct 27, 2017
You can't really make any decent judgements on a game this size after watching a 20 minute demo.

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan, USA
I was going to leave a comment on the article about how clickbait and bollocks it was, but then i found this. I guess Gamestop folks could of had it worse! lol
I don't work at Gamestop but at a different retailer in Australia. We had the same demo shown to us and under the same circumstances (last demo of a very long day/most of it was riding around on horseback and hunting animals/etc) except ours was worse... we didn't get to see the shootout because the game crashed

No one says they like their games boring.
But almost everyone that loves RDR will tell you that the best moments of that game come from riding across the desert, taking in the ambience, the atmosphere. The serenity of it all. It's a western afterall...
so you can trivialize it as "holding forward" all you want, because mechanically it might not be the most complex thing, but there's a lot more happening on screen than that.

I feel like the biggest reason people love RDR is the character interactions, storylines, and quest elements (maybe not so much the combat) which are laid inside a western atmosphere, rather than the vacuous traveling.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Hmm slower paced Read Dead by the sounds of the gamestop impressions. Will most certainly keep my attention on more impressions as that sounds rather interesting.

M. Wallace

Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
I have some friends who thought RDR was boring because they had to herd cattle early on. They didn't even make it past that part of the game. I think a big part of the game will be the in between missions free roam which sounds fantastic.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the biggest reason people love RDR is the character interactions, storylines, and quest elements (maybe not so much the combat) which are laid inside a western atmosphere, rather than the vacuous traveling.
The frontier and atmosphere of the frontier, including the wilderness between towns and the traveling, is as much of what made RDR great as the characters and story. "Empty" space is important in games like this due to the contrast it creates both between frontier and civilization, and between quiet and action.

Oct 27, 2017
I personally loved the free roaming aspect the most. It was really cool how you could find something to do on every corner wether it is hunting, night watch, breaking horses, random events, bounty hunting or gambling games like Liars Dice.

Unlike GTA, the game felt really dynamic and alive even though it was a very isolated game compared to other games.

The frontier and atmosphere of the frontier, including the wilderness between towns and the traveling, is as much of what made RDR great as the characters and story. "Empty" space is important in games like this due to the contrast it creates both between frontier and civilization, and between quiet and action.

I personally loved the free roaming aspect the most. It was really cool how you could find something to do on every corner wether it is hunting, night watch, breaking horses, random events, bounty hunting or gambling games like Liars Dice.

Unlike GTA, the game felt really dynamic and alive even though it was a very isolated game compared to other games.

Well, this is kind of my point - you're moving through these spaces to get to your objectives or to experience in-game events, which are the interesting part of the game. The issue is whether or not the game involves way too much traveling. Imagine if in Ocarina of Time, you never got Epona or the transportation songs. That would've been simply awful.

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan, USA
I do and have been watching my wife play the game again, she must not have done the Bonnie mission yet where you held cows. She basically left that place right away and went to get ready for the fort raid.

You must of missed her doing it. Its one of the very first missions and I don't believe any others are available until you do. lol

Yep 100% agree, just deepening that further with RDR2 has me excited. Silly stuff like horse bonding and limited inventory might be eye rolling or irritating for some to learn about but I'm all for it. Anything to deepen the immersion and the RPG elements are a welcome addition too.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
I can give them it probably doesn't translate well to a demo consisting in 18 minutes of (seeing someone) ride a horse somewhere and a 2 mins shootout.

It's one thing to play the game in your home at your pace, when even long traversal with nothing notable happening can be part or even enhance the experience building the right atmosphere, and having to sit through someone else show you the world when all you want to see is how the gunplay mechanics work.

The earlier reports of journalists who attended the live demonstration demo back in march I think it was, were mostly extatic.
Different audience or different expectations or different demo or maybe they watched it after several other faster paced demonstrations. Wouldn't worry too much.

I mean, personally I don't because the free roaming aspect is what I'm looking forward to the most.

Oct 27, 2017
You must of missed her doing it. Its one of the very first missions and I don't believe any others are available until you do. lol

Yep 100% agree, just deepening that further with RDR2 has me excited. Silly stuff like horse bonding and limited inventory might be eye rolling or irritating for some to learn about but I'm all for it. Anything to deepen the immersion and the RPG elements are a welcome addition too.
Yeah, the previews sound awesome and just what I wanted from a sequel. Hopefully it lives up to it.

Oct 29, 2017
I'm not trying to get another warning, and I will happily self moderate and duck out after this post, but I need to get this off my chest. Warnings are being given out way too liberally in this thread.

Retail employees are not industry insiders, and this whole thread and the article linked is one of the best examples of click-bait that I have ever seen. I seriously hope that the moderators of this forum have a serious discussion about the way warnings have been handed out in this thread. Unnamed game-stop employees are not a protected group, and it's truly asinine that people are being warned under "inflammatory generalizations" which should obviously be reserved for real bigotry.

I will happily step away, and take my answer "off the air." I am capable of self control, but I just want to get this off my chest.

Oct 27, 2017
Well, this is kind of my point - you're moving through these spaces to get to your objectives or to experience in-game events, which are the interesting part of the game. The issue is whether or not the game involves way too much traveling. Imagine if in Ocarina of Time, you never got Epona or the transportation songs. That would've been simply awful.
I disagree. Moving towards these activities is a joy because you will always encounter something along the way, wether it is a cannibal or a camp with people telling stories or people needing your help for some reason. There are plenty of things out in the world that pops up along the way.

The game has fast traveling and yet I didn't use it much apart from when I lack energy to play the game but want to complete a mission before shutting it down.
I'm not trying to get another warning, and I will happily self moderate and duck out after this post, but I need to get this off my chest. Warnings are being given out way too liberally in this thread.

Retail employees are not industry insiders, and this whole thread and the article linked is one of the best examples of click-bait that I have ever seen. I seriously hope that the moderators of this forum have a serious discussion about the way warnings have been handed out in this thread. Unnamed game-stop employees are not a protected group, and it's truly asinine that people are being warned under "inflammatory generalizations" which should obviously be reserved for real bigotry.

I will happily step away, and take my answer "off the air." I am capable of self control, but I just want to get this off my chest.
I disagree.

So many people are dismissing the people that work there or calling them names for not enjoying the demo. It is as if they don't have a right to voice their opinions.

Every employee of GameStop is unique and it would suck to brand them all the same.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like Rockstar is taking the Wild West very seriously.

There was certainly lots of horse riding.

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan, USA
Why exactly?

Plenty of games can be GOTY contenders just by looking at them. God of War looked like a GOTY contenders from the moment I saw it and I still feel the same way even after it came out.

I think it's more so the quote judging the game as being GOTY while also saying he won't judge the game by seeing just 1 mission. He contradicted himself in the same sentence. lol

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Did you not read this thread and all the post just dismissing and shitting all over the people giving these impression for literally no other reason than them being employed by gamestop? Are you really mad that you and other people are getting warnings and 1 day bans for that? There's even a note in the title to read the OP where a mod edit tells you not to do it

Oct 29, 2017
I disagree. Moving towards these activities is a joy because you will always encounter something along the way, wether it is a cannibal or a camp with people telling stories or people needing your help for some reason. There are plenty of things out in the world that pops up along the way.

The game has fast traveling and yet I didn't use it much apart from when I lack energy to play the game but want to complete a mission before shutting it down.

I disagree.

So many people are dismissing the people that work there or calling them names for not enjoying the demo. It is as if they don't have a right to voice their opinions.

Every employee of GameStop is unique and it would suck to brand them all the same.

The swearing and name calling is a problem, and there is some of that going on in this thread. However, there's also a bunch of people who have received warnings for merely expressing frustration about how click-baity this article is, and how un-named gamestop employees is not really a source.

I'm sure a good portion of people on this board have worked retail jobs at some point in there life (I know I have), but that doesn't change the fact that this article is using "unnamed gamestop employee" as some sort of authoritative source, which is just ridiculous. Gaming communities have this weird identity complex, where they think of themselves as some sort of weird protected minority group. At the end of the day, a game stop employee is just a person who works at gamestop, which is no different than a person that works anywhere. This article is no different than asking for a super small sample size selection of impressions from random people off the street. It means nothing, and it's not interesting, nor is it a good article outside of the argument that it's obviously looking to inspire arguments from fans of the series.

People deserve warnings if they are being derogatory towards anyone, but if people are merely pointing out how silly it is that the article is using "game stop employee" as an authoritative source, that is not worthy of a warning.

Oct 27, 2017
The swearing and name calling is a problem, and there is some of that going on in this thread. However, there's also a bunch of people who have received warning for merely expressing frustration about how click-baity this article is, and how un-named gamestop employees is not really a source.

I'm sure a good portion of people on this board have worked retail jobs at some point in there life (I know I have), but that doesn't change the fact that this article is using "unnamed gamestop employee" as some sort of authoritative source, which is just ridiculous. Gaming communities have this weird identity complex, where they think of themselves as some sort of weird protected minority group. At the end of the day, a game stop employee is just a person who works at gamestop, which is no different than a person that works anywhere. This article is no different than asking for a super small sample size selection of impressions from random people off the street. It means nothing, and it's not interesting, nor is it a good article outside of the argument that it's obviously looking to inspire arguments from fans of the series.

People deserve warnings if they are being derogatory towards anyone, but if people are merely pointing out how silly it is that the article is "game stop employee" as an authoritative source, that is not worthy of a warning.
These "GameStop employees" saw the game so why can't they share their feeling exactly?

Rockstar is very secretive and the fact people who saw the game are telling us their feeling is a good thing because we have no other source of information. Unless you are one of those "only hardcore gamers opinions matter" kind of people then I don't see why we need to dismiss their opinions just for working at GameStop.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
This the exact problem developers have when designing open world games. It's the reason why we have maps with icons and distractions every 2 seconds. If people walk around and nothing happens for more than 2 minutes they will start getting bored.

Oct 25, 2017

The point is to respond to the other story without being a condescending prick based on nothing. "You're not important or smart enough to have a valid opinion on this game I'm looking forward to and I'm gonna shit on you for not saying what I wanted to hear and because of where you work" is a childish and generally shitty attitude, and people here have gotten up and arms over A LOT less, but have no issue irrationally dishing it out.

Oct 27, 2017
This the exact problem developers have when designing open world games. It's the reason why we have maps with icons and distractions every 2 seconds. If people walk around and nothing happens for more than 2 minutes they will start getting bored.
This.

I find games like this or Yakuza to be much more satisfying than a game full of these messy icons everywhere.

Oct 29, 2017
These "GameStop employees" saw the game so why can't they share their feeling exactly?

Rockstar is very secretive and the fact people who saw the game are telling us their feeling is a good thing because we have no other source of information. Unless you are one of those "only hardcore gamers opinoins matter" kind of people then I don't see why we need to dismiss their opinions just for working at GameStop.

They can share their opinion, but people shouldn't be warned or banned for criticizing this article for using "unnamed game-stop employee" as a credible source. That's the point. Everybody is entitled to their opinion, but likewise people should feel free to criticize the article (respectfully) without fear of warning or ban.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The swearing and name calling is a problem, and there is some of that going on in this thread. However, there's also a bunch of people who have received warnings for merely expressing frustration about how click-baity this article is, and how un-named gamestop employees is not really a source.

People deserve warnings if they are being derogatory towards anyone, but if people are merely pointing out how silly it is that the article is using "game stop employee" as an authoritative source, that is not worthy of a warning.

There's literally only 3 warnings and 2 1 day bans related to this in the entire thread. And none of them are "merely pointing out how silly it is that the article is using "game stop employee" as an authoritative source", to reach that conclusion requires some next level selective reading

Oct 29, 2017
The point is to respond to the other story without being a condescending prick based on nothing. "You're not important or smart enough to have a valid opinion on this game I'm looking forward to and I'm gonna shit on you for not saying what I wanted to hear and because of where you work" is a childish and generally attitude, and people here have gotten up and arms over A LOT less, but have no issue irrationally dishing it out.

I'm trying to make a more nuanced point here. Unnamed game stop employee as a credible or authoritative source, and further a smallish reddit thread without any user verification regarding whether people were actually in attendance is just not a good source. This article wants to illicit arguments, and it doesn't really have anything informative to say. That's the problem.

Oct 27, 2017
They can share their opinion, but people shouldn't be warned or banned for criticizing this article for using "unnamed game-stop employee" as a credible source. That's the point. Everybody is entitled to their opinion, but likewise people should feel free to criticize the article (respectfully) without fear of warning or ban.
And why should "unamed GameStop employee" not be a credible source exactly?

The people saw the game. Why shouldn't they be credible?

Fahdi

Jun 5, 2018
I hate RDR and never found it relevant to my tastes outside of the side missions. RDR2 will also be a borefest so I won't be buying it at all.

However, when does a Demo conclude on the final product? What is wrong with people.

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair RDR was a pretty shallow experience, so it would not surprise me if RDR2 fails to improve on that. Rockstar get away with including many underwhelming mechanics, bad and repetitive mission structures, lacklustre writing and setpieces etc just because of how much of an impact GTA3 had on the industry, other games do not get the same leeway.

But this is just an impression and a small slice of the game, so it seems a bit early to judge what the final product may actually be like.

Apex88

Jan 15, 2018
I can see Rockstar delivering their vision to perfection. And yet it may still not connect with many gamers. I know many adore the Western setting but it's something that's never appealed to me.

You could say the same about many games. But I think many try to make parallels with the popularity of GTA. That's not going to happen due tobthe limitations of its setting.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't support GameStop, and the practices they shove in your face are laughable but you can't help but roll your eyes at the superior/I'm better than you mindset itt. Lmao.

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I'm amazed there was a GameStop staff convention from which this story could originate.

Good for them if they think this is valuable, a lot of companies have cut travel in recent years.