• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
This is one of those things that really shouldn't be happening for morale.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
If you guys really care about video quality so much, why'd you stop buying physical blu-rays, eh?

PrintedCrayon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seadome
If the networks get overburdened from people using 4K on Netflix, someone could die because the networks aren't working properly! How do you not grasp that?! If forcing streaming in lower resolution relieves the burden of the network, it's VERY VERY HELPFUL.
Obviously. But the sheer hyperbole is what irked me.

I don't imagine that most people even pay for the 4K package and it's dependent on your broadband quality too.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You fuckers laughed at us that still RIP Blu Rays and have Plex servers. Who will be laughing when I can still watch movies locally via Plex?

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
But people ARE dying. Some Era users are really really showing their selfish / ignorant / stupid / idiotic asses in the last days.
Some of you people need to actually log off and go sit in a dark corner somewhere. Not having internet is not getting people sick or killed. Jesus christ people. Demanding what the person paid for is fair.

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
It's funny that you think you're actually getting UHD quality video from Netflix. You should compare UHD Blu-ray bitrates vs. Netflix sometime. You'd be in for a shock.

As far as the payment goes, I agree with you there.
UHD content on Netflix still looks better than HD content there.
Also DE-CIX(Frankfurt) has a max capacity of 54.1TB/s and according to them the current usage is around 6.3TB/s
It's not even sweating?

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Completely reasonable and fine with me. Good move by Netflix.

The real conversation I want us to have is with ISPs who are going to charge cap overages. I will blow through my cap this month because of working from home, and I'm sure a bunch of others will be in this situation as well.

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
How is this better than ISPs boosting everyone's service?

It isn't, but we can't force them to fix infrastructure right now because the world is on lockdown.

These issues should be kept in mind for future legislation and requirements for bandwidth and coverage in areas, but for right now we should make sure that everybody can still use the internet unimpeded.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Some of you people need to actually log off and go sit in a dark corner somewhere. Not having internet is not getting people sick or killed. Jesus christ people. Demanding what the person paid for is fair.

Too much network congession could be damning in a crisis. Demanding your crispy clean picture at the potential expense of emergency communications being limited is a real dick move.

T0MBraider

Banned
Mar 4, 2020
Can't believe some people in this thread.
Ensure working at home is efficient and reliable, is far more important than 4K Netflix

smisk

Oct 27, 2017
Does someone who knows how the internet works want to explain this to me? I get that speeds can suffer when there are too many people streaming stuff, but what physically is the limiting factor here? Are there not enough cables, switches etc?

LordRuyn

Oct 29, 2017
If the cap is 720/1080 i'll keep my sub. Otherwise I am cancelling for now. I have no issue with this move but I am not paying for 480p.

If the EU asks for Epic to shut down Fortnite that's when you'll see riots of masked teenagers in the streets. A massive amount of Internet traffic the other week here in Italy was Fortnite.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
For once I'm happy I don't live in Europe

This may seem a little petty but 480p isn't watchable for me on my 65" TV. I've been using it to watch one movie a day and would probably stop if it was SD here. Considering the price of the 4K upgrade there's not even enough 4K content.

Last edited:

nature boy

Oct 25, 2017
How is this better than ISPs boosting everyone's service?
Because that's not how (residential) ISPs works.

Residential internet is a shared resource where all local traffic is funneled into a pipe that isn't the sum of all bandwidth on that local area, so for example if 100 homes have each 1 gigabit that doesn't mean (and normally never does) that the ISP has a 100gigabit link to the ISP core. It might be 10, 30,40 gigabit, so everything's funneled. Multiply that to each node of an ISP and you quickly realize why in critical times some services need to cut off some of more hungry bandwidth applications.

If you want dedicated internet speed (and capacity) you have to pay a lot lot more.

It's just the business model that lets you have cheap internet.

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
Good. Should happen in the US as well.

Can't wait for the "lower my subscription then" comments

Yup if you're paying for 4K then you should get 4K. If you're getting DVD quality then your subscription should be based on the standard definition package. I will just cancel if they do this in the US. DVD is unwatchable for me on a 65 inch 4K OLED tv. I won't bother.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
It is fair enough, but do you think netflix will lower my sub or will I have to do it myself (on the 4K tier)?

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
How is having SD save lives? I don't see the connection here.

Because if people suddenly can't work from home anymore, they have to go into work.

The real conversation I want us to have is with ISPs who are going to charge cap overages. I will blow through my cap this month because of working from home, and I'm sure a bunch of others will be in this situation as well.

My Belgian ISP has already announced they aren't doing caps.

If the EU asks for Epic to shut down Fortnite that's when you'll see riots of masked teenagers in the streets. A massive amount of Internet traffic the other week here in Italy was Fortnite.
Fortnite doesn't have an actual impact on the internet. It is not that popular. 60% of all internet traffic is video.

250-Global-Application-Category-Traffic-Share.gif

And that gaming includes the stuff being downloaded.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Can you still download the full fat versions? No reason to stop people doing that at night (for instance).

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can't believe some people in this thread.
Ensure working at home is efficient and reliable, is far more important than 4K Netflix

Oh I don't mind Netflix helping to reduce traffic but I hope they realise it's their £6 monthly subscription that only allows standard definition content and many people are paying £9 or £12 a month.

If Netflix is locking their streams to standard definition I hope they're reducing all subscription prices to £6 as well.

HammerOfThor

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like people have had it driven into their heads that bandwidth caps are pointless money grabs(which they are for 99% of people who reach them) and are confusing it with what the EU is trying to do here.

There is an infrastructure challenge that has nothing to do with speed, rather how much data can travel at one time. Imagine trying to get out of a city and everyone is suddenly trying to get out at once and there are only two lanes to get out. You'll have a huge bottleneck. Now imagine if many of those are massive trucks that take up two lanes. You can add more lanes and ease the traffic, but if everyone is leaving there's no one to add those lanes. In this case, those huge trucks are being told to lower their loads so more can get through at one time. The truck in this very shitty analogy is netflix lol.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Does someone who knows how the internet works want to explain this to me? I get that speeds can suffer when there are too many people streaming stuff, but what physically is the limiting factor here? Are there not enough cables, switches etc?

internet is a shared resource, especially for consumer internet.

When you get fancy 1 gbit fiber or docsis internet, you don't get 1 gbit dedicated you. You just get a modem/ONT that has a config file in it that allows it to take 1 gbit of the bandwith cake. The bandwith cake is what everyone in your neighborhood shares. It's usually nowhere near the capacity of everyone's max speeds added up. For example, in my neighborhood, we have GPON-FTTH. 2.4gbit down and 1.2 gbit up split between 16 users. Yet you can still subscribe to 1 gbit down 1 gbit up like I have, and still get max speed almost at all times - because people generally don't max out their internet speeds, especially not for extended period of time.

But now is not a regular time, more people are home and they're all hungry for distraction. So people use far more bandwith than usual, causing congestion.

You *can* buy dedicated bandwith, which is usually what businesses do, but its very expensive.

nature boy

Oct 25, 2017
If it's 25% reduction it's definitely not SD folks, it's either lower bitrate on 4k videos or 1080p max.