• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
i mean i love video games but if i could press a button that deleted video games and ended poverty i would. the fact that the very thought of temporarily giving up 4K streaming video (which will probably not happen anyway) has people upset is impossible for me to sympathize with sorry

playing the world's smallest violin

I mean it's a silly comment made in a response to a silly comment by another person I'm not being serious, but people are making light jokes in regards to not being able to view Netflix in HD and others come in wanting them to self flagellate with misery, the forum can at times feel like a bottomless abyss.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
I mean it's a silly comment made in a response to a silly comment by another person I'm not being serious, but people are making light jokes in regards to not being able to view Netflix in HD and others come in wanting them to self flagellate with misery, the forum can at times feel like a bottomless abyss at times.

i really don't think all the replies are joking lol

also again, if having all the tv in the world at our fingertips at 480p instead of 4k temporarily is "self flagellation" then yeah we really need some sort of global attitude adjustment. i don't want people to be miserable, i want them to be kind and understanding. some creature comforts might have to be dialed back for a while. we'll be fine

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Fair and only appropriately proportionate measures should be taken. Why pick only on Netflix though, and not the gazillion of other streaming services? And why SD, and not just limit from 4k to 1080p or even 720p during working hours for example, to allow for more video calls etc..

Also why all of the EU? Every country has its own network infrastructure, and then local infrastructures within that.

EDIT: Also can't the broadband providers themselves just simply throttle the connection to Netflix etc when there is peak demand? Doesn't need any intervention from Netflix then.
playing the world's smallest violin
All I can see is a pixel.

Last edited:

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
My spouse is stuck in video conference calls for 2-3 hours a day, at minimum. She does project management for an NGO.

My team at work has also requested daily catch-up calls, plus a ton of random in-between F2F meetings that are now done via videoconference. I try to use work 4G as much as I can for those.
My typical FaceTime 30 minutes call is about 600 mb. If you do several of those a day I can see why you would struggle

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
regardless of whether or not this happens or is itself the most realistic idea the resistance some people have to even the abstract idea of temporarily giving up a small luxury for someone else's benefit is pathetic
For real. Some of the responses in this thread are proof positive of that.

CDX

Oct 25, 2017
If Netflix does this and doesn't give me a price cut I'd immediately cancel Netflix. If it needs to be done so the internet doesn't break, whatever. But Netflix better not expect me to pay for higher bandwidth stream I'll never get.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
If Netflix does this and doesn't give me a price cut I'd immediately cancel Netflix. If it needs to be done so the internet doesn't break, whatever. But Netflix better not expect me to pay for higher bandwidth stream I'll never get.

"standard definition content to users in times of peak demand"

I think you should be alright most of the time.

Polk

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Hey, I am staying at home in isolation but please don't take away my HD quality.

The networks can't be that overcrowded?
I just checked and 8h shift takes 900MB while using VPN in my case. Even if you can work locally without vpn, you probably will use more internet than while working in office. It's not that much individually but when millions of people are working from home it adds up.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The EU really loves to shit on Netflix, holy crap.
This will be funny as all hell once Disney+ hits next week.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
What is wrong with you?
Nothing, I just find it funny how easily Netflix gets targetted when for example TV channels get mostly broadcasted over the internet in France, and I'm sure other countries are the same.
Let's not even talk about all the people currently playing online games, watching youtube, streaming music, etc.

Sure, it would be nice to have a more stable internet connection atm, but the EU really loves hating on Netflix.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
lock it at 1080p and give those on the 4K plan a discount/credit.

what about youtube? y'kno the 2nd top site in the world? shouldn't they be cut down first?

what about Amazon? Apple?

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nothing, I just find it funny how easily Netflix gets targetted when for example TV channels get mostly broadcasted over the internet in France, and I'm sure other countries are the same.
Let's not even talk about all the people currently playing online games, watching youtube, streaming music, etc.

Sure, it would be nice to have a more stable internet connection atm, but the EU really loves hating on Netflix.
IPTV is usually streamed from each individual ISP to customers of that ISP only, so it doesn't put stress on overall internet infrastructure.

Online games use minuscule amount of bandwidth, not even worth mentioning.

Youtube doesn't use that much bandwidth since it has rather poor quality, most ppl watch something like 720p video quality or maybe less.

Streaming music also uses minuscule amount of bandwidth.

Netflix is a bandwidth hog and it puts a strain on overall internet infrastructure.

Now some people are asking, why is EU asking to do this? Well, because so many companies work across all of EU. For example, my friend can't provide support to certain EU countries already because the internet infrastructure has overloaded.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
IPTV is usually streamed from each individual ISP to customers of that ISP only, so it doesn't put stress on overall internet infrastructure.

Online games use minuscule amount of bandwidth, not even worth mentioning.

Youtube doesn't use that much bandwidth since it has rather poor quality, most ppl watch something like 720p video quality or maybe less.

Streaming music also uses minuscule amount of bandwidth.

Netflix is a bandwidth hog and it puts a strain on overall internet infrastructure.

Now some people are asking, why is EU asking to do this? Well, because so many companies work across all of EU. For example, my friend can't provide support to certain EU countries already because of internet infrastructure has overloaded.
I'm not saying Netflix isn't a bandwidth hog, all I'm saying is that it isn't the end all be all solution to save our internet infrastructure. There are loads of other internet services that would need to do the same for it to have a real, helpful, impact.

mantis

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not saying Netflix isn't a bandwidth hog, all I'm saying is that it isn't the end all be all solution to save our internet infrastructure. There are loads of other internet services that would need to do the same for it to have a real, helpful, impact.

It even mentions in the OP that other streaming services were also contacted. Not just Netflix.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Fair and only appropriately proportionate measures should be taken. Why pick only on Netflix though, and not the gazillion of other streaming services? And why SD, and not just limit from 4k to 1080p or even 720p during working hours for example, to allow for more video calls etc..

Also why all of the EU? Every country has its own network infrastructure, and then local infrastructures within that.
As for that first question, I can answer that: Netflix is the only seriously big streaming service in the EU. It's in every EU country and used by millions. Amazon Prime Video and Disney+ isn't available in every country, Rakuten is way too small to really have any impact and the local options are usually very shitty (Dutch streaming services for instance only offer max. 1080p and often they struggle to even achieve that).

So they're reaching out to Netflix because essentially Netflix is the only streaming service big enough to matter in the EU.

EDIT: Also, it says in the article that they did reach out to YouTube.

GMM

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I pay for 4K Netflix and limiting quality to something like 720p is fine by me if it opens up more bandwidth for more critical traffic, this should however be imposed on all major services providing streaming video and not just Netflix.

Oct 28, 2017
Dublin
I literally just bought a 65 inch LG 4K TV for the COVID....

Does the EU have bad internet?
No, probably one of the best in the world. In countries where nobody is out and everyone is stuck at home, you have people FaceTiming, watching 4K content, playing Xbox, downloading music, etc. at rates tens or hundreds of times higher than usual. It causes it to become sluggish and strained.

Axon

Banned
Mar 9, 2020
Strong recommendations to stay inside and everything is closed except medical stuff and grocery stores. So there is no reason to go out if you can work from home / dont have to work and have enough food. My city of 200.000 inhabitants is a ghost town.

Unfortunately the pandemic isn't taking as seriously everywhere. Alot of people here are ignoring the recommendations and going out as usual/having parties/etc. Alot of people are also not allowed to work from home office, even if there is no good reason not to. I could pull my hair out over this behavior.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Bit of a pandemic going on right now mate. That's one for the future I reckon.

While I think that makes sense, I don't think we should ever trust the telecom industry. Maybe in the EU and the UK you all don't have as much of a history of getting fucked over the way some of us others do.

zou

Oct 29, 2017
thank god I'm using a proxy, SD is a fucking joke. They are basically saying the shitty infrastructure can't handle more than 2mbps during peak times..

Mutedpenguin

Dec 5, 2017
Maybe compromise initially and limit Netflix HD subscribers to 720p and 4k subscribers to 1440p.

As far as the 'free' side of youtube, drop the higher framerate option and limit it to 720p.

That would cut things down a fair chunk initially. See how in goes from there and take more action if they need to.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
No, on average, it's many times better than the US, afaik.
Doing a quick google search, it looks like the US internet average is quite a bit faster than most of the EU. And the US has gigabit available in most everywhere now, so I don't think it's many times better than the US. I'm not trying to turn this into a competition, but that doesn't seem accurate.
www.speedtest.net

Speedtest Global Index – Internet Speed around the world – Speedtest Global Index

Find out which countries have the fastest internet speeds in the world. View global monthly comparisons of fixed and mobile internet speeds.

Cwyll

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Wow; a bit disappointed in some of those responses.
How would people have coped pre-internet...

hidys

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Obviously for those of us paying they would need to lower the price but I completely understand.
This is a war and I'm willing to make sacrifices.