texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I was trying to get into that. What do you recommend I do to learn?
I learned from the basic from my company over the years. But if you're going to learn by yourself, I'd recommend the digital marketing courses in Udemy. They have everything from the basics to the specialized courses like ads, email, analytics, and so on. There are free courses too.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
one of the technical leads for infrastructure in our SOC, fortune 100 company

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a software engineer, basically web development.

What I actually do is just create stories in Jira and move them back and forth across a board all week. I don't think I actually produce anything anymore.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
I'm the Director of Creative Services in Marketing for an online K-12 curriculum provider (U.S.). If you have a child who uses an online platform for their education, you may have encountered it.

I liked our office well enough, but I've been working from home since March. I miss seeing my team in person.

hephaestus

Oct 28, 2017
I work in the maintenance depart for a water treatment plant. Its actually a great job, a 6 figure salary for tenth grade education ...and 12 plus years of trades apprenticeships and training.

StuKen

Oct 27, 2017
Software engineer, primarily java backend stuff that unfortunately is creeping into full stack.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
Software Engineer working in the medical field. Mostly data handling from a legacy database.

Found out yesterday that I may end up being a stay-at-home dad in a few years. Wife's going back to school and her potential salary could be twice what I make and somebody's gotta handle the kiddos, so with that kind of money, it means I'm the one who'd have to quit...not that I'm a big fan of my job these days anyhow.

Statux

Banned
Jan 13, 2020
I'm curious of your actual professions.
I believe there is a breach between how we imagine our fellow posters and reality. My guess is we work in all ways of life, and not all of us work in offices.

Show your work !
Extra: do you like your workplace ?

I start:
20201206-151445.jpg

I do deep water wells, never thought that with a masters in Marqueting I would end up doing this, but I love it!

Hey man, that looks like a tough job but also kind of a peaceful one. I love outdoors and heavy machinery so I kinda envy you (not that I'm very skilled on physical jobs, honestly). Sometimes I wonder if I would be happier operating a bulldozer or something like that

I work as freelance filmmaker and I feel incredibly lucky about it. Most of my college buddies have ended into shitty non-related jobs but I've managed to get into the business this 2020. It's been a year with full-time dedication, a lot of quite respectable clients and also the first time I've been paid decently, so I can't ask for more really. My target is to kill my job backlog ASAP, build a new portfolio/website and try to be hired by one big firm/agency. Opening my own agency is on the cards too, but I don't have anyone to partner with and seems like a lot of not very promising administrative work.

Anyway, feel free to check one of my latest jobs (it happens to be a music video of my own rock band :P):

Deleted member 83122

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 15, 2020
Night Audit as a Front Desk Agent at a franchise-owned hotel with a 4 star name that offers 2 star service/ammenities. This year was hard, friends.

Deleted member 83122

Banned
Oct 15, 2020
Recently quit my job but I was working at a homeless teen shelter for two years. Had to quit because I'm focusing on my bachelors and had to move cities and it's just too far.
Planning on working at with at-risk youth in some way whether it's being a social worker or working at an agency that works with at-risk youth.
Props for helping the youth, these days it's so needed, and it is often not acknowledged as it should be, thanks for strengthening our communities!

Deleted member 83122

Banned
Oct 15, 2020
Retired Army, was a medic. Now I'm a stay at home dad of a 3yo daughter, and Sophomore in college working on a BS in Network Operations and Security. College is online, so I'm getting up early to knock out what I can before my daughter is up.
Congrats on 'living the dream' haha! If I could ask, how many years did you serve before hanging it up? I would have hit twenty last year if I had stayed in and think about it sometimes.

pants

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
User Experience / Product Design

Basically understanding how things work, how they get built, and representing the core human interaction in how they get used. The best part is interacting with real people and understanding how their brains work in order to solve actual problems. The worst part is spending a non-negotiable amount of time putting together documentation for things co-workers will only ever skim (at best.)

Gpsych

May 20, 2019
I'm a licensed psychologist who currently works for the public school system. Although I handle a few legal cases a year, I'm the supervising psych so I mainly provide supervision to interns and support the rest of the psychologists on my team when needed. Generally I'm based in the administration building (I actually get a tiny office!) but I haven't been there since last March which sucks. I'm getting tired of working from my basement.

ShapeDePapa

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a cook in a high end hotel in Quebec. I'm not working now because the tourist industry is about to die though. :(

KastroXi

Jun 11, 2018
Beautiful shots. Is the struggle due to the changing landscape brought on by Netflix. As in a influx of talent, driving down opportunities?

Thank you!

Definitely not and influx talent, there's enough work to go around for everyone (depending on how you look at it. But the industry is a who you know-type game. People tend to hire those they already know so getting work is not always straight forward. It's always a long haul situation.

Another struggle is the recent nails in the supposed coffin on cinemas. A close friend is shooting in 65mm on a current production and it's sad to think that we might not see it in cinemas depending on how things go.

I might sound like I'm holding on to things of old but projection hits different than watching it from a screen. There something different about the light being reflected than emitted it's a cadence that would be hard to match on a typical tv but I'll spare you the ramble 🤣

You're on the money tho, recently Netflix have bought out studio space in London alongside Disney who bought out pinewood (I think it's more priority usage than purchase). And I'm hoping it doesn't return to the "golden"age of Hollywood with studios becoming a production monopoly.

Gwarm

Nov 13, 2017
Curious how you made the jump from pharmacist to clinical informatics if you don't mind sharing.
It was pretty simple for me. I had been a hospital pharmacist for a couple of years, then applied to an opening for an informatics pharmacist at the hospital where I did my internship. It was a smaller hospital in an undesirable area which is probably how I got in so quickly. I put in a few years and built up my experience before moving back to a coastal city.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
Congrats on 'living the dream' haha! If I could ask, how many years did you serve before hanging it up? I would have hit twenty last year if I had stayed in and think about it sometimes.
Thanks, they only let me do 10 years before a fairly major injury resulted in nerve damage and the need for a multi-vertibral fusion. It was bad enough that I was given a retirement instead of a medical discharge. I tried to fight it, but even after three back surgeries I'm never going to be deployable again. My plan was to become either a CSM or be one of the senior NCOs who go officer and bring some common sense to the commissioned side of the Army and do 20 at minimum. I took my responsibility to bring young men and women into different perspectives than they may have been brought up with seriously. I was also an Equal Opportunity Leader. I taught diversity classes and wrote the standard operating procedures for processing trans Soldiers through Fort Leonard Wood medical reception for basic training. I made E7, but anything beyond that wasn't in the cards. So now I'm shifting focus, drinking water, and carrying on.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a Build & Release Engineer for a video game company. I like the company but hate the work. I'm really just sick of programming, but I can't afford to go to college and there's nothing else I could do for the same level of income, so I'm stuck doing this. I envy you guys who have jobs you at least somewhat enjoy.

Last edited:

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Senior Business Partner for a healthcare system. That's a very buzzwordy title, but breaks down to being head of personnel/head of labor relations for a unionized hospital.

Yes I DID take this job right before the pandemic hit, which has been both blessing and curse in every way.

z e r t

Oct 27, 2017
I design furniture.

Started my own business right before the pandemic lol so it's being a little challenging staying afloat.

Statux

Banned
Jan 13, 2020
There's something wholesome learning / hearing about what everyone does for a living; To generate your livelihood by your own hands.

I work as a Cinematographer in film. Working on narrative, commercial and music videos!! Proud of my work thus far but its a real struggle at the start in this industry (where I'm at) or anything freelance tbh.

va9cjMq.jpg

HXCrOpo.jpg

T3v9zZi.jpg
Great shots man!

Bend

Oct 27, 2017
Land surveying and computer mapping for a public utility. Lots of time spending hiking up and down dams, digging up peoples yards, and producing maps using AutoCAD and GIS software. I love it

Deleted member 83122

Banned
Oct 15, 2020
Thanks, they only let me do 10 years before a fairly major injury resulted in nerve damage and the need for a multi-vertibral fusion. It was bad enough that I was given a retirement instead of a medical discharge. I tried to fight it, but even after three back surgeries I'm never going to be deployable again. My plan was to become either a CSM or be one of the senior NCOs who go officer and bring some common sense to the commissioned side of the Army and do 20 at minimum. I took my responsibility to bring young men and women into different perspectives than they may have been brought up with seriously. I was also an Equal Opportunity Leader. I taught diversity classes and wrote the standard operating procedures for processing trans Soldiers through Fort Leonard Wood medical reception for basic training. I made E7, but anything beyond that wasn't in the cards. So now I'm shifting focus, drinking water, and carrying on.
Well you sound like a damn good leader, and im sure that carries over to fatherhood somehow! Thanks for sharing, stay alert stay alive!

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Corporate IT Support for the first 5 years of my career. Supported a global company of about 1400, but moved into InfoSec last year at a larger pre-IPO company.

reelbigeddy

Nov 16, 2017
UK
I work in Systems for local government - which sounds way more tech related than it actually is. I basically just run reports and paste things into spreadsheets from other spreadsheets.

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
I work at a rental house for lighting and grip. We rent to people for photography, TV shows, film, etc.

Once in a blue moon, I get a job on set. Sadly the last set job I had was over a year ago. Filming shutdown in the due to the pandemic. I'd like to work on set more but the rental house job is a more steady pay which I need right now after being unemployed for 6 months.

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a copyeditor and writer for the marketing arm of a private liberal arts college.

I've only been here a couple months - had a similar position at a public university before this. I like it but it definitely gets a bit tedious at times.

I majored in journalism and got burnt out on news just two years into my first job out of college, haha.

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
Social media support for a major telecom. I've been with the company 11 years and the benefits/pay are excellent, but its soul crushing after awhile.

Nox

Dec 23, 2017
Registered Massage Therapist. Basically making sure all the WFH folks don't have low back pain and tension headaches