• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Outside of the internet, do you personally know someone who's trans?

• I'm cis and I'm close to someone who's trans

• I'm cis and I personally know someone who's trans

• I'm cis and I do not personally know someone who's trans

• I'm trans, non-binary, genderqueer or agender and I'm close to someone who's trans

• I'm trans, non-binary, genderqueer or agender and I personally know someone who's trans

• I'm trans, non-binary, genderqueer or agender and I do not personally know someone who's trans

Results are only viewable after voting.

HeyNay

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere
Yeah. I know a trans dude that my wife works with. He's a sharp looking guy. Quick-witted and real funny too. Honestly would have never guessed if I weren't told. We were at a party once and he showed me a picture before his transition and I was shocked. Trans people are super inspiring to me for their courage and commitment to live as they're meant to be.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
I'm cis and personally know someone who is trans.

I also have tons of bi/gay/full spectrum of friends.

My wife is bi and has been married to both a woman (before me) and of course myself.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
I knew a few trans people as friends of friends when I was younger and lived in the city, but not these days except very remotely, through work. I will also readily admit that I've been ignorant of the ongoing struggles for trans representation and recognition, because those people never brought it up back then. And as a result I've accidentally asked some tactless questions on here that, had I really sat down and listened, I would not have needed to ask.

I try to engage with as much diverse media as I can, so seeing the push for more (and better) trans representation on TV and in film in that trailer struck me as a very positive thing. Because in my friends and extended friends circle I can talk to a black person, a queer person, and so on... but I can't talk to a trans person, because I don't think I know any.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
That number is probably higher in latam. I know of one trans women living close to my place, buy we are not friends ( not that I have many friends tbh).

I did ask my mom the other day and she said only on tv.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
I'm cis and have a very close trans friend. I'm the only one in my close group of friends that has a trans friend.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
I'm cis and I don't have a friend who is trans, nor am I closely acquainted to anyone who is trans. Atleast knowingly. Closest to knowing someone I get is friend of a friend, who I have never met (so not knowing at all). Also many many years ago I knew someone who could be trans, but I don't want to make any assumptions about them. Especially as I haven't seen them in about 20 years.

Last edited:

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Cis, and yes, several. Don't want to say much more than that, but two trans people are near and dear to me.

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, though not till a few years ago. Then again I live in TX so maybe some folk aren't as comfortable being out about it so maybe I have in the past too

rolltanksroll

Oct 27, 2017
As an adult who doesn't make a ton of new friends, no. But as a high school teacher I have had at least 2 trans students that I can easily remember and a couple of NB ones as well over the last few years.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I do not personally know any trans individuals, though that's primarily because my group of friends is very very tiny and since leaving College has only gotten smaller.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
This is probably not a huge surprise, but I know plenty of trans people offline, some closer than others.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
A good friend I met over a decade ago (if not 15 years ago? I can't remember exactly) came out as trans something like 5/6 years ago? She has been a huge part of my learning process about transgender issues & activism, and also she's the reason why I have such an eclectic taste in music, she made me discover tons of amazing stuff. Bless her!

Idde

Oct 27, 2017
I'm cis and only once met a trans woman. A coworker/friend of a friend of mine. She was pre transition, but wanted to start hrt soon. Awesome person and (at least outwardly) very confident. An actress in the musical business, which hopefully is a safe environment for trans people.

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, I am good friends (I wouldn't say close, so I picked the second option - friendship too new imo) with a trans woman. Hung out many times prior to COVID, and still keep in touch with. My gf is really close friends with her, so atm that's how the friendship is maintained, again due to COVID. She plays a lot of DnD and she's very good at smash, even though she won't admit it. At smash bros parties she's definitely one of the ones to beat.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
Yes and they are incredible. As a cis white dude my exposure came fast and hard and it made me into a better person.

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
Cis here, got three friends who are trans. One I'm very close with, whom I've known since high school and is the only reason I met most of my other current friends) who transitioned to female about three years now after having felt super out of place in her own body most of her life.

The other two (one who had already transitioned to male well before I ever met him, the other currently trying to decide exactly what they are but leaning toward male) I'm definitely close with, but they're parts of circles of friends I don't see nearly as often anymore as the one that first friend belongs to.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I'm cis and one of my friends is non gender binary trans, and several of my coworkers. I'm not generally "close" but we're part of each other's lives

Deleted member 9479

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I have a cousin who is trans. We aren't particularly close and haven't been in more than twenty years (she only came out a few years ago).

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I'm questioning and in the last year I met several friends who are trans/nonbinary in the local community when looking for help, a couple of which I consider very important to me now.

Before that I had met some trans people on OKCupid but usually lost contact with them (not because they were trans, before last year I lost contact with everyone I met on OKC). I had also met a couple of trans people at Smash nationals before. I also thought my best friend from high school was trans, but we regained contact with each other last year after several years and he told me that he never ended up transitioning, was never trans, and was "brainwashed by the LGBT community," which made things, uh....awkward.

Osu 16 Bit

QA Lead at NetherRealm Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
I am and I know a couple of co-workers.

Always weird to think that when any of us interact with people there's a decent chance they've never met a trans person before that.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Knew. A year below me in secondary school; unfortunately my social circle at large has collapsed since I graduated there, so the only trans people I know now are those I've met online, however close they may be

Kraid

Oct 25, 2017
Cuck Zone
I'm genderqueer and have a couple real close trans friends. One of my bosses was trans, too, and he was the best. I'm acquainted with a few trans folk in my hometown, but I'm not like a part of the community or anything which can feel sort of alienating, but is also sort of since I'm still sorting my shit out.

NexusCell

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I've only met one trans person in college, my music teacher for one of my classes. He didn't actually directly tell us, but I was able to tell based on the differences between the name he gave us to the class and the different email address he had, which I believe was assigned by the school pre-transition.

He was pretty chill though. Helped me a lot with my music theory paper.

Gpsych

May 20, 2019
A teacher at my wife's elementary school transitioned two years ago. There was a ton of pearl clutching (even among the school board) about what was going to happen when he came back. "Think of the children!!!" When he did come back, he explained that he was a man and the kids were all "meh" and life just continued as normal.

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017
Several real life friends are, including several people who were there for me at my lowest point.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I was an acquaintance with someone who was trans. They committed suicide in December. Didn't know them too well but followed them on the socials and it really bummed me the fuck out. Thought about them a lot more than I thought I would tbh.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
No, not really. I wish i were friends with some, but... well i don't really know that many people in the first place.

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
Ya, I have a cousin who is trans. I also have a former co-worker who is, though I haven't seen him since before his transition as we haven't worked together in nearly a decade and at this point we're mostly just Facebook friends, but I was happy for him and we do still talk online now and then.

Oct 25, 2017
Hull, England
Not as such but my former teacher at my old secondary school in the UK came out as a Trans women a few years back, they were in the newspapers which was pretty cool, it was a positive story which was super nice as well considering how Terfy the UK is.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm trans. One of my good friends is also trans, but I met her online before meeting her in person. I don't personally know anybody else in my daily life who's trans. I'd like to change that, but I'm not very good at leaving my home, even outside of the pandemic.