• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Outside of the internet, do you personally know someone who's trans?

• I'm cis and I'm close to someone who's trans

• I'm cis and I personally know someone who's trans

• I'm cis and I do not personally know someone who's trans

• I'm trans, non-binary, genderqueer or agender and I'm close to someone who's trans

• I'm trans, non-binary, genderqueer or agender and I personally know someone who's trans

• I'm trans, non-binary, genderqueer or agender and I do not personally know someone who's trans

Results are only viewable after voting.
OP
OP
Kyuuji

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I did see that your poll was related to a GLAAD poll(and a trans documentary) that used the same language. I should have directed my post more at that language than anyone personally responding here. Sorry about that.

I do think it's telling that the language went several pages unexamined, and not of anyone's moral character, but of the fact that the idea that there are plenty of invisible trans people, and that cis shouldn't be an assumption. I disclose that I'm trans to friends because it's an important part of who I am, but I also choose to let strangers, coworkers, and other acquaintances assume that I'm cis because it makes my day-to-day easier, and at some point, my life could depend on it. Until these ideas are more thoroughly challenged, there will be a great number of trans people that choose to remain invisible.
It's a beyond valid point to make and you're right to make it, so no apology necessary. I understand where you're coming from and that stating "I don't know anyone that is trans" makes the assumption that only cis people exist outside of those you know intimate details about. It's a highlight of how cis-centric the world is even in basic phrasing and honestly, part of my appreciation for you posting it is in being made aware of somewhere else I can improve language away from that. As now that I understand and share that point, I can also appreciate the irritation within it. So thank you for educating me there and I offer you the apology for having had to come across it again.

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com
there's been people i knew before they transitioned, fell out of contact with them, then hear "news" at a later point that they did so. not really sure how that counts.

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does meeting transpeople you've met over the internet count? Cause I've met a few transfolk that we started out as internet friends and became personal friends.

etiira

Oct 25, 2017
It's a beyond valid point to make and you're right to make it, so no apology necessary. I understand where you're coming from and that stating "I don't know anyone that is trans" makes the assumption that only cis people exist outside of those you know intimate details about. It's a highlight of how cis-centric the world is even in basic phrasing and honestly, part of my appreciation for you posting it is in being made aware of somewhere else I can improve language away from that. As now that I understand and share that point, I can also appreciate the irritation within it. So thank you for educating me there and I offer you the apology for having had to come across it again.

Thank you, I appreciate that.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
An old friend of mine is trans. There was a lot of growing up in our friend circle since we didn't know what was taboo, etc, but we all came out better for it.

We haven't spoken in a while since we all kinda naturally grew apart, plus I moved out of the state, so I hope she's doing ok still.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Being intimate with a trans guy years back really helped form my current energy on the Trans Community. Before him I hadn't ever encountered anyone

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I know someone who's genderfluid and very androgynous going off looks. They use male and female pronouns interchangeably to refer to themselves so I don't know if they identify with one more than the other. Pretty nice person the few times I've seen them in parties and stuff like that.

Lastbroadcast

Jul 6, 2018
Sydney, Australia
I went to a boys only school. There was someone a few years below me who I got to know later on at university. At the time she hadn't transitioned but she presented as androgynous non-binary, later on she did transition and now identifies as female.

I can't imagine what it must have been like to attend a single sex boys only school when your gender identity wasn't male.

Oct 27, 2017
My wife's friend's son identifies as trans. He's only 10 but I think his Mom handling it really well (she's a divorced, single Mom). Luckily they live in a progressive town so the school has been very supportive and he goes to a summer camp for trans kids. I guess he's gone back and forth a little (he's only 10) but his support group is just supporting him and trying to give him the tools to figure it out. The bottom line is that the people important to him in his life just want him to be happy and well-adjusted

Edit: I apologise if anyone is offended by the language I used, I'm still learning (Era has been a big help) and certainly didn't mean any harm

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm cis and my roomie/best friend/platonic life partner is trans. :]
I personally know at least four other for sure trans people, and a handful of others that I'm not sure if they're trans, nonbinary, or genderqueer (not super close to them, so never asked). Online I'm pretty certain I know and am friends with more LGBT+ ppl than I am fellow cishets lol.

Consequence

Oct 27, 2017
The cousin (of many) that I'm closest to came out as trans just within the last few months. I'm so happy for him. He seems to really be supported by his local community and I wish I was geographically closer to be there more.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I know trans, gender fluid, and NB people.

I'm close with some, acquaintances with others.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
I'm in the Deep South and good friends with an identified lesbian who is married to a trans husband. It's complicated for them sometimes, but for me it's pretty simple to just address people by what they want. I appreciate them for their friendship mostly, but also it's good to be exposed to different types of people so you don't only live in a bubble. Where I am that's very easy to do.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know anyone who is trans. The closest I have gotten is two people I knew a decade ago who have since transitioned. Now that I think about it, I don't know of any LGBTQ+ people in my circles in recent history either, honestly.

Kitsunebaby

Oct 27, 2017
Annapolis, Maryland
I'd consider myself agender, and I know a few trans, gender-fluid, and non-binary people. A large number of them came into my life through the cosplay community, and it's become apparent to me that something about costuming attracts those of us who feel we don't fit in the boxes we were originally assigned.

OP
OP
Kyuuji

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Bump to include some of the Euro peeps it may have been too late for and further extend the thank you to those sharing.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Knew a lot of trans people in college (I was the honorary aero for the campus group), and I've got a few trans coworkers.

No close personal friends post-college, but I only maintain like four close personal friends, anyway.

N7Commander01

Jan 2, 2020
Tokyo, Japan
When I was living in London, I got to know a few of Trans and NB individuals.

I lived in rural Wales prior, and while I was raised by very progressive Mother and Father , it wasn't until moving to a city and beginning to enter Queer Spaces (I am Cis Gay) that I got to know Trans/NB People

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I know one trans person, an ex coworker. We're not close, but we talk on occasion.

This person was the first trans person I ever had a deep conversation about with what trans people go through and how the conversion process takes place. It was eye opening, and made me realize how much I didn't know about what they go through.

Amalthea

Dec 22, 2017
Trans here and knowing some others on an "aquaintance" level wich is as close as it gets for me with knowing people because how hurtful my life pre-transition was.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
I'm cis gender, have one trans colleague, multiple trans friends, and teach and learn from trans students on a daily basis. I don't think I teach a single class that doesn't have at least 2 or 3 transgender students in it. I can honestly say that, as a cis gender person who has thought a lot about gender identity but have always felt at home with my gender at birth, I have learned so much by having close relationships with trans people and am a better, more well-rounded, more empathetic person due at least in part to the transgender people in my life.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
A friend of my wife is trans.

Met her for the first time a few years ago and she's just an awesome person to hang around with.

Night Hunter

Dec 5, 2017
Cis white male here. A friend of mine is trans. Didn't know her pre-transition. Gonna meet her today, actually. Going for a walk because I've been cooped up inside for three days now... 😅

Edit: I voted for the first Option, I'm not sure if close is meant to mean involved with though.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Once drove two hours to pick up someone's transgender boyfriend in college since their car broke down the day before an exam. I've not talked to them much since I dropped out of school in Florida and went back home, but I'd see them every now and again when my friend brought him to gatherings.

Oct 30, 2017
Your Imagination
Close friend of mine is a fully-transitioned woman, former housemate was in the process of transitioning, have a couple of friends in Japan who are trans but don't wish to have surgery. I'm thankful that I have many options open to me to understand the world a bit better.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
Two people, but they're only acquaintances who I met once prior to transitioning. One of whom was my wife's co-worker's kid in their 20's, and I remember my wife telling me how their parents had difficulty coping and for a while refused to call them by their preferred name. The parents eventually came around and accepted it, which is wonderful.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
i know some on internet, but i personally knows none

but it's mostly that i personally knows really few people, so there's not really any chances to meet LGBT people like that!

I never met someone openly gay for exemple (maybe i knew some, but if they were i didn't know)

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
I have an extended family member who is trans and I see fairly often. Sadly, I'm not very close to him.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I'm CIS and I have a family member, a cousin, who has transitioned from female to male.
I haven't seen him in a longer while cause our family is pretty much all over the country but I last heard from his mom that he's doing well.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
I know a lot on the internet. Also, I only know people online in general. I don't have any RL friends whatsoever.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know anyone in real life that is. At least that i know of.

I have a feeling one person i know might be, but i doubt i'll ever know if that feeling was correct or not. Not that it would change anything with how we interact.

Oct 25, 2017
I went to Basic Training with two people who later came out as trans women.
In college two of my roomates were a couple, a trans man and a trans woman.
Another roomate of mine has recently come out as non-binary.
My best friend is a trans woman.
I personally am somewhere on the non-binary/genderfluid range, though I'm not sure where that is yet.

So yeah trans rights.

Oct 28, 2017
Not close, but I knew her in elementary school and we ended up going to the same college. Had no idea she was trans until I bumped into her one day.