L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I mean he isn't wrong….Trump is a terrible human being, but I think it's better to have him on Twitter where his terribleness can be on display rather than divide the country even more and force people on to other platforms. Free speech applies to everyone. If he spreads misinformation they can always highlight that in his tweet which they've done in the past and I believe that's more effective than just kicking him off the platform.
Did you not notice how Trump has been trying to establish a new platform and how it's been flopping?

Has it not occurred to you what that says about how effective removing him from Twitter has been, and how comparatively weak those less visible other platforms are?

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
Someone made this observation earlier, but it's not a coincidence that people like Musk openly revealed themselves as Conservative-sympathizing shitheels precisely at a time when the labor movement is gaining steam in the US.

It wasn't too long ago that Musk was posting the trans pride flag, paying lip-service to LGBTQ+ equality, and talking about how much he prides himself on Tesla getting perfect scores on the Corporate Equality Index.
Yup.

Fundamentally racism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia, nazis, etc., should have been easily eradicated from society more than 4 decades ago. The rich have been fueling those the entire time so that the labour pool fights itself instead of the rich. Boomers used to be hippies.

Musk felt safe, but the moment labour started talking to each other he caved.

TheOMan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean he isn't wrong….Trump is a terrible human being, but I think it's better to have him on Twitter where his terribleness can be on display rather than divide the country even more and force people on to other platforms. Free speech applies to everyone. If he spreads misinformation they can always highlight that in his tweet which they've done in the past and I believe that's more effective than just kicking him off the platform.

Is Twitter the Government?

He is wrong. He's very wrong. Good gravy.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Trump has free speech, he is free to go elsewhere after his ban and keep speaking...

..which he did, by setting up his own social media platform. He can also just walk outside, any time, stand on a box and speak. His free speech is 100% intact regardless of the ban.

I don't understand how so many of you fail to understand this basic concept...

He broke the ToS, which was entirely his choice. The idea that the plarform should not be moderated like that is utterly naive.

Google the paradox of tolerance, for starters.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why anyone here is surprised at all. Didn't trump say he wouldn't come back anyway if he was unbanned?

He will 100% come back. He's a pathological liar who says a lot of shit just to get attention, and there's no way he'd turn down the chance to get his massive Twitter audience back. He'll use the change in leadership at Twitter as his excuse for changing his mind.

Guaranteed his second or third tweet when he's back will be something like: "Had a great discussion with Elon Musk and he assured me that the 1st amendment rights of patriots will no longer be silenced!!"

astro

Oct 25, 2017
All these "free speech" advocates are in for a rude awakening when they realise Musk can't run Twitter that way due to little things like the new EU regulations on moderation.

Kinda related but I have never seen on the internet, someone use the free speech justification for anything that doesn't involve bigotry or fascism.
Yep. It almost always means "I want to say what I want without any consequences".

manzoman96

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Even if he owns Twitter, is there a chance the rest of the executives/board/whatever could overturn his move to reinstate Trump?

Musk in that meeting
8112402-36d2f699ff9440a53e28ce477715480053b42b14.gifv

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Kinda related but I have never seen on the internet, someone use the free speech justification for anything that doesn't involve bigotry or fascism.
In the modern world, the concept of free speech isn't a unique American thing. There isn't a whole lot of push to be rid of it completely. But one thing that is uniquely American is not having a legal concept of hate speech, and instead fitting hate speech simply under the umbrella of free speech. So I tend to think that a lot of things surrounding the protection of free speech in the American form, such as the general trend to view the Bill of Rights as an immutable document that can only be interpreted but never changed, is actually meant to protect those unique dangerous aspects of those laws.

Oct 27, 2017
PIT
Loose loose proposition: Trump is unbanned and people remember his shit (polling shows swing voters HATED him tweeting) and people leave the site en mass. Cool good job no notes.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't want him back on Twitter because he is annoying as fuck, but I still think it would hurt the republican party more than help them. Republican leaders probably dream of the day he drops dead so they can pick a far worse and infinitely more effective fascist sociopath to lead the way. His endless, incoherent bitching is only going to remind normal people how insane the modern GOP is all while it fucks with GOP elections. I think he absolutely should stay banned, but I also don't think it changes much.

Mass One

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
All these "free speech" advocates are in for a rude awakening when they realise Musk can't run Twitter that way due to little things like the new EU regulations on moderation.

Yep. It almost always means "I want to say what I want without any consequences".
Yeah...seems to come down to that every time.
In the modern world, the concept of free speech . So I tend to think that a lot of things surrounding the protection of free speech in the American form, such as the general trend to view the Bill of Rights as an immutable document that can only be interpreted but never changed, is actually meant to protect those unique dangerous aspects of those laws.
I feel like there should be a bigger discussion about the point you made.

That's not a government or legal system but more of a religion. At least in my mind.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
There's still a non-zero chance that this deal falls apart before the end so I'm not going to overreact right now but if Trump does return to the platform I will delete my account and boycott it.

I really hope that this site will block links but that may be asking too much.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
I'm totally sure though he won't ban some one from using twitter to advocate unionization for his companies or uses it to insult him.

GuessMyUserName

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
... it's 2022 and we still got people naive enough to say you can combat misinformation with a dialogue? Really?

That you believe that is "more effective" flies straight across the face of the actual reality we have already lived in where combating Trump on twitter did nothing but incite his base, and now that he's banned his existence in the political sphere has severely diminished. Combating Trump on twitter didn't convince anyone and only normalized his inane bullshit.

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017

This is going to be such a disaster to see. Musk is thinking he'll get his little utopia, but just like every other alt-right social app that launches, it's going to be a matter of days/hours before it's devolved into whatever those assholes do, and Musk won't be able to contain it.

Then the alt-right will turn on Musk as soon as the first suspensions start happening, and Musk little perfect perceived world of "free speech" Twitter is going to go up in flames as people flock away from it.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

To this point a rational person would then think "if there's a good chance Trump won't actually come back to Twitter in a meaningful way then why would we unban him? What value does that add to our site? If we have tons of workers threatening to quit if we unban him and thousands of users vowing to delete their accounts, what's the point? How does that make Twitter better?"

But Musk is too busy running half a dozen giant companies to be able to spend the time thinking through the full implications of most of what he says.

Deleted member 8579

Oct 26, 2017
https://finance.yahoo.com/finance/news/elon-musk-tesla-boss-praises-182248534.html?

He then turned his attention to praising the competition coming out of China, which is the world's biggest car market and where Tesla has a manufacturing plant in Shanghai.

"I think there will be some very strong companies coming out of China, there is just a lot of supertalented hardworking people in China who strongly believe in manufacturing," he added.

"They won't just be burning the midnight oil, they will be burning the 3am oil, they won't even leave the factory type of thing, whereas in America people are trying to avoid going to work at all."

Uh huh.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Nah fuck that. Deplatforming works. We've been blessed to hear next to nothing from him after having our collective peace of mind assaulted for 4 years by his idiocy and attacks. You've forgotten how bad it was. How poisonous his daily Twitter drip was.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Nah fuck that. Deplatforming works. We've been blessed to hear next to nothing from him after having our collective peace of mind assaulted for 4 years by his idiocy and attacks. You've forgotten how bad it was. How poisonous his daily Twitter drip was.

It was so constant for those 4 years. Every damn day. The forum was flooded with new thing after new thing after new thing this idiot said or did. I cannot underSTAND the people who have forgotten how terrible it was. News channels flooded constantly, online discourse flooded constantly...

Why are our memories so short. Its just unreal.

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017

Lol, I would also want that every employee at MY company worked his ass to death and gave me and shareholders some yuge profits.

They probably think workers giving up their health for the firm will profit as much as the Billionaires or something, the only thing they'll get is a kick in the face whenever they're broken and get replaced by the next in line.

Drachen

May 3, 2021
If this happens I am ACTUALLY leaving twitter and will actively work on cutting it from my life as much as possible. Fuck Musk and fuck this.

DarkJ

Nov 11, 2017
Im deleting Twitter the second it happens. When people look at the metrics I want the metrics to reflect this reversal.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
This might be worth a new thread, but guess who's already walking back on Trump's ban in the advent of Elon's takeover?

What a spineless ghoul -- we've long since known Dorsey failed time and time again to understand the responsibilities expected from him, but the disingenuous bar statement alone is evidence he doesn't even understand his own platform. (Which, at this point, is a generous viewpoint.)

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I fucking love it when people do not understand what free speech is.