• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 26, 2017
So... holy shit. I'm only up to Stormveil just now, but I've been doing a LOT of off track exploring. The horse opens up so many secrets and interesting climbing. Some of the zones I've been running like crazy through are literally insane. This is like when I first played WoW and visited Burning Steppes at level 20. Some examples that I have no idea where they are supposed to go in the progression (area descriptions, probably quite late so beware):
The entire goddamn underground, a blood poison swamp, a city of sorcerer ghosts, a huge cliffside with a GARGANTUAN dragon waking up a bunch of regular dragons...
I can't imagine how I'll eventually be properly prepared for these areas. For now I'm suicide running or riding through most things.

For all my exploring I haven't been able to find that much useful stuff, but I did get my weapon to +5 so that's something. I'm using the halberd and got a talisman that boosts mounted attacks.

So far this feels like possibly the best part of every Souls game, spread out into a huge world. Going back to not having jumping is going to feel so limiting.

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
I have no experience at all with this genre, so quick question...

Big dude on a horse as soon as you start the game: is this a boss that I should come back to once I've geared/leveled up? Or is this just a random enemy. Because if this is what I can expect from enemies in general I'm just going to quit now lol, this is impossibly difficult as a first engagement

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

Big dude on a horse as soon as you start the game: is this a boss that I should come back to once I've geared/leveled up? Or is this just a random enemy. Because if this is what I can expect from enemies in general I'm just going to quit now lol, this is impossibly difficult as a first engagement

I avoided his scary looking ass

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017

Come back later, its not meant to be possible. It can be done but most people won't.

SoulsHunt

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
I missed pointing down after a 1v2.

Remember when people said « it's just Dark Souls 4 but open world ».

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I got taken to the woodshed 3 times by Margit and called it. I need to get stronger. I had him down more than half way then I just stop doing what was working for some reason.

I got him down to 20hp and then died. So pissed. Couldn't put the controller down till I finished him, took maybe another 3-4 tries.

Scarface

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
It's so much fun man. I just like the whole vibe of it. Helping people out, gesturing like a fool. I found the Helloooooo carving, though I wish it sounded like the Dark Souls one.

can you tell me where that is?

I feel you! I think i did logarius like 200-300 times in BB just helpin fools out. I love the coop in these games so much

astro

Oct 25, 2017

He is completely optional and very hard to take on right away. There are much easier bosses to find in the surrounding area to go for first.

Come back when you have levelled a bit and also have your own horse.

TheLastYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
First time Souls player here... playing as a Samurai and first "mini-dungeon" I found was Stormfront Catacombs... really getting my ass kicked by those pesky lil' goblins, any advice on how to take care of them or should I just get leveled up some more.

May 26, 2018
Man, my controller doesn't work with this game. It only recognizes mouse and keyboard -- and only the E key confirms! Enter key is a decoration on my own keyboard! Which means it must be using a single-definition controller layout for a keyboard, while denying you use of your controller!

How slapdash is this port???

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017

You can smoke him, sure, but it's not really a thing 95% of playerbase will do at the beginning. He's there to teach a simple lesson, too hard? Come back once you leveled up.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati

He can be killed but it would be very difficult at the start. Come back later.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
Reading this as someone who has never played a Souls game and is very interested, should I bother playing any/all of them or is ER comprehensive and superior enough to start off with in this genre?

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
Come back later, its not meant to be possible. It can be done but most people won't.
I had a feeling this was the case. But since there was an earlier engagement which was clearly one of those "you're supposed to die here" things (since the cutscene moved the story along after dying), I feared this next dude was just, like, what enemies are like in a Souls game.

Alright, I'll avoid big horse dude and explore a bit. Thanks!

Oct 25, 2017
The Cyclone State
Then you must have spoken with Melina, and she would have given you the ring and unlocked the level stats option at sites of grace?
So, funny story. I started over (wanted to try Astrologer) and got it just fine. I figured out what it is. In the intro cave, the first time I didn't know you had to drop down for the tutorial. So I just missed that site of grace. The second time I went through it. Odd that it's missable.

May 14, 2021
Is there a way to force the game to update on Series X? I think the reason I can't connect to the online servers is because my game is at 1.2 instead of 1.2.1.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
These horse enemies for example at the very beginning of the game, am I supposed to be able to kill these? I'm level 40. I just upgraded my sword once to +1. I can maybe get 3 hits in before he drops me in 2 hits by seemingly unavoidable attacks.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
First time Souls player here... playing as a Samurai and first "mini-dungeon" I found was Stormfront Catacombs... really getting my ass kicked by those pesky lil' goblins, any advice on how to take care of them or should I just get leveled up some more.
You should be fine, they die quickly.

You need to get into the Souls mindest. Bait out enemies, take it very slow and check your corners. Watch their attacks, wait for an opening, get a hit then dodge away if you want to play it safe. If you aggro too many, run away and try to bait one at a time.

Read messages on the floor and try to discern helpful hints from trolls... usually "enemy on left" or "washout for group" are valid, ignore "hidden path" when there's nothing but a wall or "jump" at the edge of a cliff.

NPTinker

May 2, 2020
The ash of war system hasnt grabbed me yet. Is there another way to have scaling but keep the weapon arts

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
can you tell me where that is?

I feel you! I think i did logarius like 200-300 times in BB just helpin fools out. I love the coop in these games so much

It's in

the Stormfoot Catacombs. Run past that first fire-spewing tower and it's right behind it

By the way you can also attack those and disable them forever.

edit: the spoiler tag owned me harder than margit is apparently owning people, sorry about that

Patchy

Oct 29, 2017
There are so many issues with both gameplay and performance bugs, the lock on one that I've seen mentioned a few times makes battles with 2-3 at a time impossible IMO.

Coming from Demon Souls remake to this is a big drop off in quality, coming from someone who is not super across all From releases.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
These horse enemies for example at the very beginning of the game, am I supposed to be able to kill these? I'm level 40. I just upgraded my sword once to +1. I can maybe get 3 hits in before he drops me in 2 hits by seemingly unavoidable attacks.
Try fighting the Tree Sentinel on horse back.

Simple strat: Go to the church at the top of the hill, small field to the right with a tree in the middle. Aggro him into that area and fight there. Bait him to destroy the middle tree. Circle him moving to your left (keeping him on your right side), let him attack, dodge, run in, hit, retreat, repeat. You'll learn that some attacks allow for multiple hits, but don't get greedy.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
There are so many issues with both gameplay and performance bugs, the lock on one that I've seen mentioned a few times makes battles with 2-3 at a time impossible IMO.

Coming from Demon Souls remake to this is a big drop off in quality, coming from someone who is not super across all From releases.
I definitely have some complaints. I've already gotten annoyed a few times to the point where I just closed the game and went back to Horizon.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
I figured out the problem!

I was playing a Confessor.

Fuck a Confessor. Vagabond life is much better.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Is there a narrow window to blocking with a shield? Having a little trouble adjusting to each enemy's attacks.

Also, you can't level until you find a certain spot of grace?

astro

Oct 25, 2017

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Is there a narrow window to blocking with a shield? Having a little trouble adjusting to each enemy's attacks.

You meet the level up lady at the third site of grace you rest at. Not just activate, but actually sit down and rest at. For most people who follow the critical path the sites of grace hint at, it'll be by some very tall gates and near some ruins that are being patrolled by knights.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
Try fighting the Tree Sentinel on horse back.

Simple strat: Go to the church at the top of the hill, small field to the right with a tree in the middle. Aggro him into that area and fight there. Bait him to destroy the middle tree. Circle him moving to your left (keeping him on your right side), let him attack, dodge, run in, hit, retreat, repeat. You'll learn that some attacks allow for multiple hits, but don't get greedy.
Thanks, I'll give it a shot.

But I just kinda have to laugh at reviewers saying that if you weren't great at souls games to give this game a chance because it's more accessible. It is absolutely not. Itsthesamepicture.jpg

astro

Oct 25, 2017

Do you mean parry?

Don't bother parrying much imo, just hold block and tank the hit, then press heavy attack right away for a powerful counter.

Status
Not open for further replies.