• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Just wanted to add on top of that again even for a panel roundtable type of discussion it was boring. It's easy to pull up GDC talks about random stuff that are more interesting. You have these high profile devs gathered there it should have been that hard to make an interesting discussion happening on sony games.
Yep it was just bad all around.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Agree with Kyle, even though they warned people, the venue just made it worse by seeming like it should be a big deal.

TheDarkKnight

Oct 25, 2017
I think for PSX they don't need it to be the mega buster announcements but it should still have a press conference. Like I don't think TLOU2 should have been announced last PSX. That was too big an announcement for that venue and it cascaded in e3 this year not being as good. I think Sony course corrected but went way to far the other way. PSX should be about the PlayStation diehard deep cut announcements. Things like ace combat when it was announced, the yakuza games, medevil revival, etc. That mid to smaller tier with one or two big game updates for games coming out before next E3. It should be loose and fun. This year might be the reckoning of trying to not keep announcing things way too early, and waiting for the current projects to come out.

TheDarkKnight

Oct 25, 2017
Arrived at psx. Five minutes in I stop at the guacamele 2 booth and start playing. And I see Bloodworth playing at his appointment there as well.

Guac 2 4 player is a ton of fun. As a fan of the first one this is Definitely a must own for me

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
I know I shouldn't talk since I haven't watched it, but it bums me out that people are so against everything that isn't just a glorified Youtube playlist for trailers. But maybe the discussions were just PR talk and didn't go into any depth offering any interesting info, that does suck too. Still, it does sadden me that there's often animosity when there's any talking during E3, PSX, Game Awards and so on. Only megaton reveals seem to satisfy people.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
Sony: "we're scaling back our PSX presentation this year because we showed a lot at Paris Games Week"

*PSX presentation is accurately scaled back*

Everybody: what trash.

Kinda disappointing that people feel like they're "owed" an amazing showing at this event PlayStation invented and doesn't even have to do if they don't want.

dickroach

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know I shouldn't talk since I haven't watched it, but it bums me out that people are so against everything that isn't just a glorified Youtube playlist for trailers. But maybe the discussions were just PR talk and didn't go into any depth offering any interesting info, that does suck too. Still, it does sadden me that there's often animosity when there's any talking during E3, PSX, Game Awards and so on. Only megaton reveals seem to satisfy people.
it felt like they set a precedent last year with huuuuge announcements. calling it the same thing and having it be a completely different "experience" stinks

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

No, I love GDC talks and the like. This was just really, really dull. Seemed to have no direction and I'm sure planning was involved like where to sit, but it just seemed to meander on without any point.

Even if you like this type of thing, it was a bad one of those.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
it felt like they set a precedent last year with huuuuge announcements. calling it the same thing and having it be a completely different "experience" stinks
Sure I agree that they should be clear about the format so people atleast know what to expect when tuning in or even worse go there in person. But they can't just pull big announcements from the thin air either.
No, I love GDC talks and the like. This was just really, really dull. Seemed to have no direction and I'm sure planning was involved like where to sit, but it just seemed to meander on without any point.

Even if you like this type of thing, it was a bad one of those.
Ah, I think I need to check it out to see myself. It's just that I don't get much out of it probably, since it's indeed about Playstation. It's exclusive heavy and they don't mention much if the games are also coming for PC.

Personally I've liked the PC gaming shows too at E3. Those have very casual and chatty vibe. While I love games, I'm interested in people too!

Edit: I get it now, I'm about 10 minutes in and already bored. They are just fluffing themselves. But I'll continue watching. EZA streaming something like this doesn't work very well either, so much talking over the confrence.

Last edited:

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
If everything from PGW was saved and put into PSX instead it would have been much more exciting, but I think they wanted to do something for their large European audience

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
I think for PSX they don't need it to be the mega buster announcements but it should still have a press conference. Like I don't think TLOU2 should have been announced last PSX. That was too big an announcement for that venue and it cascaded in e3 this year not being as good. I think Sony course corrected but went way to far the other way. PSX should be about the PlayStation diehard deep cut announcements. Things like ace combat when it was announced, the yakuza games, medevil revival, etc. That mid to smaller tier with one or two big game updates for games coming out before next E3. It should be loose and fun. This year might be the reckoning of trying to not keep announcing things way too early, and waiting for the current projects to come out.
Agreed, though the PS5 is probably only 2-3 years away, so we should start seeing developers hold their projects back for next gen soon. Sony doesn't tend to abandon their systems as quickly as Microsoft or Nintendo, so I doubt announcements will completely dry up, but it'll probably make a noticeable difference. Like if we assume the PS5 will be announced and released in 2020, I doubt we'll get many big announcements in 2019.

On the EZA side, is it just me or is a 30min pre-show too long? I feel like they spend most of it throwing out dreams left and right, especially when Huber's on the panel, and overhyping the hell out of themselves (though there were a couple of times where they tried to rein things in). I think the pre-show for TGAs was only 10mins and seemed a lot more realistic.

They didn't call it the same thing, last year it was called the "PSX 2016 Showcase", this year it was called "PlayStation Presents."

Unless you're suggesting they rename PlayStation Experience, which is nuts. PSX isn't a conference, it's an event.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
Hello EzaEra. Lots of people are losing patreons and posting proof on Twitter... While I don't like what patron is doing, I don't want to punish EZA and a couple other creators, but I wanted to cancel my +$100 monthly charge as a protest... I hope patron does what is right or EZA finds a new option. L&R

Joqu

Oct 25, 2017
The Waffle Kingdom
Has Jones or anyone else at EZA ever discussed whether they have considered setting up alternative funding sources to Patreon? I mean, they do in the form of Twitch subscriptions and all that, but I'm talking major crowdfunding alternatives here. Obviously EZA will be fine for the foreseeable future, but Patreon's recent major changes have made me feel like it's quite risky to rely on a single third-party company for your funding in the way so many content creators are. I've seen creators on twitter discuss setting up a personal Patreon alternative through plugins on their own website which sounded quite appealing to me, but I'm sure that's harder to manage at EZA's size.

TheDarkKnight

Oct 25, 2017
Was walking by on the psx floor and heard a booming voice. And who do I see? Huber shooting his syndrome episode. Ended up shooting a segment with them. Pretty wild

Murasaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Deep North
Has Jones or anyone else at EZA ever discussed whether they have considered setting up alternative funding sources to Patreon? I mean, they do in the form of Twitch subscriptions and all that, but I'm talking major crowdfunding alternatives here. Obviously EZA will be fine for the foreseeable future, but Patreon's recent major changes have made me feel like it's quite risky to rely on a single third-party company for your funding in the way so many content creators are. I've seen creators on twitter discuss setting up a personal Patreon alternative through plugins on their own website which sounded quite appealing to me, but I'm sure that's harder to manage at EZA's size.

Kickstarter seems to be doubling down on Drip as a challenger to Patreon and then there's stuff like Liberapay, but I don't know how well they'd work for EZA.

Deleted member 22649

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hello EzaEra. Lots of people are losing patreons and posting proof on Twitter... While I don't like what patron is doing, I don't want to punish EZA and a couple other creators, but I wanted to cancel my +$100 monthly charge as a protest... I hope patron does what is right or EZA finds a new option. L&R

You don't want to punish creators, so you are going to punish creators as a protest...?

Dineren

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like it could be pretty challenging to try migrating to another service. Good chance you'd lose a chunk of patrons who wouldn't want to bother signing up for a new site. Though I guess you could just maintain both indefinitely if you needed to.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
Sure I agree that they should be clear about the format so people atleast know what to expect when tuning in or even worse go there in person. But they can't just pull big announcements from the thin air either.
Ah, I think I need to check it out to see myself. It's just that I don't get much out of it probably, since it's indeed about Playstation. It's exclusive heavy and they don't mention much if the games are also coming for PC.

Personally I've liked the PC gaming shows too at E3. Those have very casual and chatty vibe. While I love games, I'm interested in people too!

Edit: I get it now, I'm about 10 minutes in and already bored. They are just fluffing themselves. But I'll continue watching. EZA streaming something like this doesn't work very well either, so much talking over the confrence.

Yeah, I saw a couple of people comparing it to the PC gaming show at E3, but that was way, way better than this. The PC show had a lot of talking but people were actually saying things that weren't just fluff or stalling for time. The PC show also featured a lot of indie stuff which I feel Sony might as well have leaned more on if they had no news on their AAA games.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
You don't want to punish creators, so you are going to punish creators as a protest...?
I don't think they did, but they wanted to. Or that's what I got from it. This Patreon thing is starting to bum me out too. I'm personally fine with it, but I'm not fine with people losing support over this. Hopefully Patreon comes up with better changes soon.

Elfforkusu

Oct 25, 2017
Sony: "we're scaling back our PSX presentation this year because we showed a lot at Paris Games Week"

Kinda disappointing that people feel like they're "owed" an amazing showing at this event PlayStation invented and doesn't even have to do if they don't want.
They had everybody's attention. They used it to:

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
They had everybody's attention. They used it to:

There's so many opportunities to announce new games these days I don't expect Sony to have big stuff at every turn. That many games just doesn't exist. Like I said, I think they went hard on Paris Games Week because they realized they don't do much event wise for their European audience which is quite big.

Given the studios Sony has and how much we already know about, they probably just don't have much to show right now, but they can't just can the event because of that. PSX is about a lot more than just announcements and showmanship.

Elfforkusu

Oct 25, 2017
There's so many opportunities to announce new games these days I don't expect Sony to have big stuff at every turn. That many games just doesn't exist. Like I said, I think they went hard on Paris Games Week because they realized they don't do much event wise for their European audience which is quite big.

Given the studios Sony has and how much we already know about, they probably just don't have much to show right now.
Yes, I agree -- and I think the Allies do too. But they did a poor job of describing what the show was going to be. If they had, not as many people would've showed up.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, I agree -- and I think the Allies do too. But they did a poor job of describing what the show was going to be. If they had, not as many people would've showed up.

I thought Sony did put out a thing saying to expect something different and smaller than what they'd done before. Maybe I'm wrong on that though.

Shadow_FFVI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
I rather they forego Paris Games Week in favor of a better PSX.

Basically E3 and PSX as their flagship events.

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
I'm not sure if I would take the risk with such a successful patreon to switch to a different funding source to be honest. You can be sure you will lose some income as not everybody will follow.

I would at least see how much they money the lose first.

Don't forget that 9 people are counting on that funding in EZA's case.
I would consider changing if I would have a patreon campaign which only consists of me and which made $300 per month or something, but in this case I would first see what will happen with this thing change the first few months.
It is still a considerable risk to change to a new funding source.

Edit:
I also don't believe that removing your patronage is using your voice against patreon itself. It is just lowering the income of the creator you love.

That said, I totally understand that this change will make some people having to choose which patreons they keep supporting and which ones to cut or to lower their tier. If you support multiple patreons, this change adds up.

I don't see anything wrong with that. Also, while I don't believe it will help to cut off funding, if people don't feel comfortable with supporting patreon anymore, they should just stop using it and follow their heart.

Last edited:

Deleted member 22649

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
And continuing to do the same thing will accomplish what exactly? Its the only thing Patreon will understand, and thats if they lose money.

Your patronage is your voice. Remove your patronage and you remove your voice. If you want to send a message, you should start engaging with Patreon and make your voice heard to them. Removing your support of the Allies in protest of something they neither control nor support is misguided at best.

Joqu

Oct 25, 2017
The Waffle Kingdom
I'm not sure if I would take the risk with such a successful patreon to switch to a different funding source to be honest. You can be sure you will lose some income as not everybody will follow.

I would at least see how much they money the lose first.

Don't forget that 9 people are counting on that funding in EZA's case.
I would consider changing if I would have a patreon campaign which only consists of me and which made $300 per month or something, but in this case I would first see what will happen with this thing change the first few months.
It is still a considerable risk to change to a new funding source.

Oh, I didn't mean for them to switch funding sources, I get why that would be a bad idea. I was talking about them setting up alternatives as a backup. But I don't think that'd work unless you merge your goals which sounds like a pain to manage.

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
Oh, I didn't mean for them to switch funding sources, I get why that would be a bad idea. I was talking about them setting up alternatives as a backup. But I don't think that'd work unless you merge your goals which sounds like a pain to manage.
I do agree that it's always a good idea to have alternate funding on the internet (like a lot of youtubers do/did with patreon when youtube was starting to make less money). Not sure what can be done for EZA. I also don't know if they have a special deal or not with patreon as their patreon did set records and such (I suspect not, but you never know) or if that's even allowed by patreon or not to use other fundings.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
The allies should look into getting onto drip(if that fits better for some people that are leaving now). People forget there is also the choice of being on multiple platforms.
Looking for other platforms and tools to fund yourself doesn't generally automatically necessitate you leave patreon or have to mass migrate. At least it's something worth looking into and then leave it to people to see what accommodates them best if patreon isn't doing it anymore.

Edit: Saw I was too slow. Basically just repeating what Joqu said.

Elfforkusu

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's really shitty that patreon has put creators in this situation, and that competitive pressure (e.g. drip) is the only thing that's going to get them to walk it back.

If one of the other services is a good fit, I think it's definitely worth looking into as a complement + protest vehicle to patreon.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
Played the monster hunter beta, cleared the three trials in single player all on my first try and felt like a boss. The second one I had less than 10 seconds left and the third one I had less than 1 minute left.

I've only played three ultimate on the 3ds before this and I put in around 30 hours so not much at all compared to most other players. This seemed like more monster hunter to me but I think it will get a huge audience just by being on the ps4.

On the topic of psx I think we've got to realize that the ps5 is coming in 2020 (at the latest.) And Sony is going to have to start (slowly) shifting resources towards that. Horizon 2 is probably ps5 launch.

Hope everyone has/had fun hanging out with the allies at psx.

Oct 25, 2017
My only expectation going into PSX presentation was a release date for God Of War, that was it. You'd think they'd have settled on a date for a game stated to be releasing Early 2018 by December 2017, but nope. They still managed to disappoint.

They honestly should've just outright said this was going to be a roundtable discussion/casual panel with a special guest or two, and not even promised any updates or surprises. They downplayed it, but not enough.

Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation lowered eXpectations.

But truly though, if they were going to temper expectations and have more of a fireside chat, don't do it in a fully equipped auditorium with filled seats and three MASSIVE IMAX SCREENS playing trailers in the background.

That sets up expectations you're clearly not going to meet.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
I rather they forego Paris Games Week in favor of a better PSX.

Basically E3 and PSX as their flagship events.
There's a console for people who want everything to be centred around America, it's called Xbox. :P

Your patronage is your voice. Remove your patronage and you remove your voice. If you want to send a message, you should start engaging with Patreon and make your voice heard to them. Removing your support of the Allies in protest of something they neither control nor support is misguided at best.
No offence but this is some "boycotting games punishes the developer, not the publisher" logic. So what exactly do you suggest he do if Patreon ignore those voices? Cause based on your logic, it's not like they'd be losing anything by doing so.

It sucks that creators are collateral damage in sending a message to Patreon by pulling pledges but ultimately, that's on Patreon because it's their job to make their platform appealing. If the lost income encourages creators to start looking at competing platforms then it sends a clear message to Patreon.

PlayStation lowered eXpectations.

But truly though, if they were going to temper expectations and have more of a fireside chat, don't do it in a fully equipped auditorium with filled seats and three MASSIVE IMAX SCREENS playing trailers in the background.

That sets up expectations you're clearly not going to meet.
It's the same theatre they host all the panels in, so the massive screens are set up to use all weekend.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017

I don't get why people get defensive over this show. Even taken into account they warned it was scaled back it was still terrible.

I'd be OK with it being a panel if it was at least a good panel.

EdReedFan20

Oct 25, 2017

Yup. And, unlike in LBP, the music you create in Dreams can be exported to PCs. Also, any sculpture you create can be used as assets elsewhere by exporting them into things like Maya and Unity. The icing on the cake (and perhaps the coolest thing) is those sculptures can also be sent to a 3D printer. Your "Dreams" can become physically real!

Status
Not open for further replies.