lazerfox

Oct 26, 2017
Switzerland
Just played an hour and first impressions are good regarding handling, feel and overall presentation.

But those massive stutters are really sucking the fun out of it. Probably UE shader and traversial stutters? Going to hold on playing more so I'm be able to get a refund on Steam if doesn't get fixed soon.

Rivanov

Mar 22, 2018
The Netherlands
kmIJJtH.jpg

Kellemann75

Chicken Chaser
Nov 19, 2019
Just played an hour and first impressions are good regarding handling, feel and overall presentation.

But those massive stutters are really sucking the fun out of it. Probably UE shader and traversial stutters? Going to hold on playing more so I'm be able to get a refund on Steam if doesn't get fixed soon.
Shader stutter will fix it self when you have driven all the stages (until a new driver is released) , but traversal stutter has no easy fix.

Jul 22, 2022
Having a blast with the game really. Hope they patch the stutter out even if I know it has no easy fix :/
Also, it seems a little easier? Or just it's muscle memory from 2.0?

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Shader stutter kinda killed bits of it for me, too. Even after running a stage a few times, if I go off the track into bushes, there's more stutter and it's a lot harder to over-correct :/ Be great if they could even roll the shader comp into the loading of the stage.

Can't believe it's still a thing with UE5 :/

Kellemann75

Chicken Chaser
Nov 19, 2019
Shader stutter kinda killed bits of it for me, too. Even after running a stage a few times, if I go off the track into bushes, there's more stutter and it's a lot harder to over-correct :/ Be great if they could even roll the shader comp into the loading of the stage.

Can't believe it's still a thing with UE5 :/
Pretty sure this is UE4

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
Having a blast with the game really. Hope they patch the stutter out even if I know it has no easy fix :/
Also, it seems a little easier? Or just it's muscle memory from 2.0?

Definitely easier. Cars feel like they have a lot of grip here. I think the biggest thing though is going off doesn't automatically send your car flying or bringing you to an instant stop. Haven't put in enough time to see how damage is handled, but I like these changes

SuperOctopus

Apr 22, 2020
Does the game provide some assist to make it a more arcady experience? I found out with WRC9 that I was bad at these games but I still had a lot of fun with some assists on. I wonder if there are options in this one.

Jun 1, 2023
Put in a few hours and have enjoyed my time so far! Feels good to play with a PS5 controller and there's a whole lot of content. On PS5 have not noticed any stutters but have noticed a few instances of screen tearing, hopefully that can be fixed.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
I did the driving school on EA trial and honestly like it. Yeah I noticed that there was some stuttering on one lesson though. I think I like it enough to purchase it, but always feel terrible about buying games that need a little patch work.

ryodi

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
Playing on a Series S my first impression isn't great. Doing a quick time trial in Chile I suffered from a lot of stuttering and the game freezing briefly a couple of times as well. The car and damage model look nice but the look of the stage itself was a huge downgrade from Generations. Bonnet cam does seem to fix some of the graphic issues but I struggle to hear the co-driver over the engine noise no matter how I adjust the audio settings.

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
Tearing in some stages is pretty bad yeah, even worse than i imagined and stutters are all over the place 😞

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Are people experiencing bad stuttering/tearing on PS5 as well as Series X and PC or is it more pronounced on the latter two? Feels like we're really in an age where you just can't expect a reasonable experience on PC day one anymore.

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
What a disappointment in terms of performance on Series X, in some longer stages it's really bad.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
How is the vibration on the Xbox? Because using a Series pad on PC with the vibration cranked, I can hardly feel a thing :/ And zero vibration on the DualSense :( (and that's with Steam Input turned off)

Nerun

Oct 30, 2017
Any PS5 impressions?

I'll download the PC trial through PC Gamepass later/tmrw to check how it performs on my laptop, but I would be more interested in the PS5 version though.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
Curious if some of these performance issues, particularly the stuttering/pauses, are mentioned in that known issues list codemasters released just prior to launch?

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
So, what's with the performance on PC?

I'm getting FPS drops every time I hit something or even scratch my door on the rock or anything. RTX 4070 and DLSS isn't helping.

Like, come on, the game doesn't look like Forza or GT to have such issues :<

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
Curious if some of these performance issues, particularly the stuttering/pauses, are mentioned in that known issues list codemasters released just prior to launch?

All they mention is this

We are aware of a number of stability & performance issues affecting the overall experience, most notably:

• Multiple track locations (Mexico, Croatia, Monte Carlo, Japan)
  • During the Chile - Rere track, minor stalls might be experienced when crossing a split
  • On the Croatia - Hartje track, invisible collisions of track during quickplay Solo mode

Jun 1, 2023
Any PS5 impressions?

I'll download the PC trial through PC Gamepass later/tmrw to check how it performs on my laptop, but I would be more interested in the PS5 version though.

Three hours in and have enjoyed it so far. PS5 Performance feels great and have not experienced stutters but have seen a few instances of screen tearing (they don't show up on every track). DualSense feels good to use and there's a lot of controller customization if you're the type to tweak your settings.

GraGor

Nov 17, 2017
Any PS5 impressions?

During my first few hours there was a bit of noticeable stuttering but it seems to be not as bad now. No idea why that is.

There is some very minor screen tearing during gameplay that's occured maybe three or four times in the 4 or so hours I've played. It's noticeable more on replays especially when you turn off VRR for unsupported games in the PS5 settings. VRR is active on my TV with it on so thats maybe why I'm not getting as much screen tearing during gameplay.

None of this has actually stopped my enjoyment of the game though.

Radnom

Oct 25, 2017
How 'online' is this one?

I tried to get into Dirt Rally 2, but every step of the game it insisted on connecting online to upload my times and pull down other players' times, which made load times horrendous and occasionally timed out and broke.

Plus, I'm not competitive and don't actually want anyone else's times or for my times to be uploaded, I like Rally games as just chill-out solo driving games on nature-y tracks. DR 1 was really fun for that, but the more DR 2 tried to 'connect' me the more I hated it.

Is there any way to go 'offline' in this one? or ignore other players?

It's really hard to get this info from reviewers as most people really into Rally games want this kind of functionality haha.

RGB

Nov 13, 2017
How 'online' is this one?
All single player stuff is disconnected from online this time, thankfully.

Leaderboards will show everyone's times but can be filtered (platform, assists, etc.). You'd have to check if you can set them all to friends only and that it sticks between sessions if you *really* never want to see anyone elses times. But as for the annoyance of waiting to connect to racenet while data is shuffled around, I've not run into any of that so far.

Kaji AF16

Nov 6, 2017
Argentina
Playing on Series S, and coming from a The Crew Motorfest / Forza Motorsport / Ride 5 marathon, this plays, looks and sounds below my expectations. I loved DR and DR 2.0 to death, but IMHO the new Forza has somewhat spoiled me with its unbelievable driving model.

The late-stage stuttering is extremely annoying and it has to be solved or it will probably set the hardcore community on fire.

I have only seen a handful of stages, but WRC Generations seems to keep the crown on that regard.

Lots of content, great presentation. I do have faith on this evolving to become a classic.

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
There's only five moments available right now? 3 standard and 2 from EA Access?

MGR

Oct 27, 2017
I don't even have a handbrake. 😅
I tried restarting multiple times and also unplugging my load cell brake pedal, but no dice. Codemasters has some work to do it seems.

Ah, my bad. I had the same issue where it creates two profiles and one of them includes the handbrake. I wrongly assumed you must have had one as well.

And yeah, this kind of fundamental stuff is unforgivable.

GraGor

Nov 17, 2017
The AI seems to be completely broken for me now. I've got AI performance set to 100 and in Rally Sweden, Lovstaholm I wiped out twice with two 29 second reset penalties and another 9 second penalty for a reset where I got stuck in a ditch and I still won the stage by 58 seconds lol

On the previous stage I had one reset and finished 1:05 behind the leader.

The AI is having a mare

Radnom

Oct 25, 2017
All single player stuff is disconnected from online this time, thankfully.

Leaderboards will show everyone's times but can be filtered (platform, assists, etc.). You'd have to check if you can set them all to friends only and that it sticks between sessions if you *really* never want to see anyone elses times. But as for the annoyance of waiting to connect to racenet while data is shuffled around, I've not run into any of that so far.
Thank you so much for answering, and that's great news! The price is very tempting now.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
So, what's with the performance on PC?

I'm getting FPS drops every time I hit something or even scratch my door on the rock or anything. RTX 4070 and DLSS isn't helping.

Like, come on, the game doesn't look like Forza or GT to have such issues :<
I think you'll find if you run any stage multiple times, it will get better as the shaders compile. The first Memory stage (with the Legacy) after about 7 or 8 goes (mostly to try and improve the Xbox controller vibration on PC) it was smooth every time.

I worry for when AMD releases a new driver especially for this game and the shader cache will be cleared.

I can't even win! FM has issues with compiling shaders on startup every time I run it, and this has issues not compiling them at startup when it probably should.

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
Ah, my bad. I had the same issue where it creates two profiles and one of them includes the handbrake. I wrongly assumed you must have had one as well.

And yeah, this kind of fundamental stuff is unforgivable.
I just tried again and there seems to be some kind of bug where it changes input devices when you turn the wheel too far or something. It detected up to three instances of my wheelbase and was switching between them when playing a stage just now and turning the wheel, making it unplayable. At least I got the button inputs to work this time… 🫠😑

Seems like waiting a few weeks for patches is necessary until I can actually play the game I paid for.

Pharaoh

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
As I feared they dumbed down the simulation in comparison to DR 2.0. That's the price we pay for the WRC license, unfortunately.

MGR

Oct 27, 2017
I just tried again and there seems to be some kind of bug where it changes input devices when you turn the wheel too far or something. It detected up to three instances of my wheelbase and was switching between them when playing a stage just now and turning the wheel, making it unplayable. At least I got the button inputs to work this time… 🫠😑

Seems like waiting a few weeks for patches is necessary until I can actually play the game I paid for.

In that case the only other thing I can suggest is setting your DD Pro SENS to AUTO (assuming you haven't already of course). Perhaps the game doesn't like it when you reduce the wheel rotation lock lower than the default 2520 degrees.

cjelly

Oct 27, 2017
I'm kind of stunned with how poor this looks on Series X. Very muddy, soft and everything beyond 6 feet from the car looks like soup.

From what I can tell there are no visual options, either?

Kellemann75

Chicken Chaser
Nov 19, 2019
The graphics is all over the place. Some stages looks really good and other looks bad. Same with performance but this, CM has allready commented on. Really enjoying the game, but it feels a lot easyer than DR2. Also, will there be daylies and weeklies like DR2?

pennanton

Oct 31, 2017
The AI seems to be completely broken for me now. I've got AI performance set to 100 and in Rally Sweden, Lovstaholm I wiped out twice with two 29 second reset penalties and another 9 second penalty for a reset where I got stuck in a ditch and I still won the stage by 58 seconds lol

On the previous stage I had one reset and finished 1:05 behind the leader.

The AI is having a mare

It might be a car class issue, the AI was inconsistent in DR2 like this too. I'm on Sweden now 85% and WRC2 is on pace with the Rally1 cars.

GraGor

Nov 17, 2017
It might be a car class issue, the AI was inconsistent in DR2 like this too. I'm on Sweden now 85% and WRC2 is on pace with the Rally1 cars.

That is actually a good shout. I was using my custom built car in the juniors whereas previously I was using a rally 3 car. I just thought that the custom build would start at rally 3 and you upgrade it as you progress through the ranks.

Edit: Nope it's not that sadly. Just seems the AI just start posting super slow times after a few stages.

Last edited:

Oskulock

Dec 3, 2022
Played on xbox a bit yesterday and;
+Graphics look great in some stages, but not so much in others.
+Performance is alright but the stuttering is unforgivably bad, they legitimately should have delayed this or skipped on the early access thing entirely. This takes away so much of the fun, it feels unfinished. And i feel like a beta tester. :I Worst part is we don't really even know if this can be fixed since it's UE, there are so many games that have never had this problem sorted.
+Absolutely love the handling, it doesnt feel sim'y in a way a lot of other games do but i just really like playing it a lot.
+Great wheel support, only had to plug in my G920 and shifter and it works great right from the box

PJTierney

Social Media Manager • EA SPORTS WRC
Verified
Mar 28, 2021
Warwick, UK
The graphics is all over the place. Some stages looks really good and other looks bad. Same with performance but this, CM has allready commented on. Really enjoying the game, but it feels a lot easyer than DR2. Also, will there be daylies and weeklies like DR2?
Moments are daily.

There's also a few clubs replicating the Daily/Weekly challenge layout.

If I can find a way to automate it, I can make official clubs for Dailies too.

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
zuOCSgu.png

NlO71fl.png

KnnniBc.png

194snIE.png

When the game doesn't stutter and theres no tearing on the screen man, what a game!

Hopefully they can iron out those issues.