The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017

Oh that's awesome. They're definitely giving him some $$$ to appear in Ultimate Team promo or w/e.

I also think he probably saw his teammates all on there, talked to his uncle (who was the infamous #16 on the back of the box of NCAA College Football '98 throwing a TD), and is takin the bag.

If you can become an Ultimate Team star I can definitely see it helping these guys witl future NIL money

Last edited:

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder if we see more big name guys hold out a bit next year. EA will be careful with that.

At the same time, it's Arch Manning

jstevenson

Developer at Insomniac Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Burbank CA
"I'll sign your 600 dollar deal if you also make me a separate marketing deal"

Some will be able to demand it

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I was listening to the Bombcast today, and Dan Ryckert echoed similar sentiments to this thread. He's had multiple interactions with people who say they're buying a console for this game. Grubb was fully expecting it to be one of the top five best selling games of the year. I suppose it's a side effect of me being Canadian, but I have zero frame of reference for how popular this sport is lol

ShabbadooJr

Oct 27, 2017
Omaha, NE
I was listening to the Bombcast today, and Dan Ryckert echoed similar sentiments to this thread. He's had multiple interactions with people who say they're buying a console for this game. Grubb was fully expecting it to be one of the top five best selling games of the year. I suppose it's a side effect of me being Canadian, but I have zero frame of reference for how popular this sport is lol

It is the largest sport in the US by far. There are so many different teams (134 in the highest tier) so it doesn't get the TV ratings like the NFL does because the fanbases are so spread out, but every weekend there are multiple 80,000-100,000 seat stadiums that are full and raucous.

RMChoodie

Banned
Dec 27, 2021
American in Costa Rica
Every thread I say it
It's going to be a massive uptick in console sales
I have never seen more people say I'm buying one for this game this generation
Granted most of my friends/contacts are into college football but it's still the only time

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
It is the largest sport in the US by far. There are so many different teams (134 in the highest tier) so it doesn't get the TV ratings like the NFL does because the fanbases are so spread out, but every weekend there are multiple 80,000-100,000 seat stadiums that are full and raucous.
That's wild to me, Canada doesn't have anything nearly on that level. I wish I could find an approachable onramp to this game, it feels a bit unapproachable considering I know essentially nothing of the sport and have no team affinity

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Don't Game Pass Ultimate/EA Play users get a 10% discount? I guess that's where I'm buying it

Zep

Jul 12, 2021
Backups getting separate marketing deals, being paid $60k is wild…What a time.

Beamerball

Jan 16, 2018

Honestly it reminds me of the EPL but for college football. Tons of teams from varying sized towns who have alumni and local fans (and of course the national brand teams). It's huge. Especially in the southeast of the US.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
The biggest teams in college football have way bigger stadiums than the pro teams have to play in.

CabooseMSG

Jun 27, 2020
That's wild to me, Canada doesn't have anything nearly on that level. I wish I could find an approachable onramp to this game, it feels a bit unapproachable considering I know essentially nothing of the sport and have no team affinity
If you want a crash course, watch this video from an older Stephen Fry documentary series. This is a game between Auburn and Alabama, the two, huge public universities in the state of Alabama. The call this game "The Iron Bowl". Its a rivalry game, but its not for a tournament or championship or anything, technically just a normal game during the season.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuPeGPwGKe8

Beamerball

Jan 16, 2018
The biggest teams in college football have way bigger stadiums than the pro teams have to play in.
Yeah, as much as I hate to admit it, we're mid-tier SEC (except for the glory years of 2010-2013!!) and even we're pulling in 70-80K at our stadium. Although our athletics dept has done an awesome job in making our gameday experience so much better (light show, etc.).

CabooseMSG

Jun 27, 2020
Yeah, as much as I hate to admit it, we're mid-tier SEC (except for the glory years of 2010-2013!!) and even we're pulling in 70-80K at our stadium. Although our athletics dept has done an awesome job in making our gameday experience so much better (light show, etc.).
South Carolina always has a raucous stadium though, thats on your fan base. It is important to note not all fan bases are as rabid as others.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
If you want a crash course, watch this video from an older Stephen Fry documentary series. This is a game between Auburn and Alabama, the two, huge public universities in the state of Alabama. The call this game "The Iron Bowl". Its a rivalry game, but its not for a tournament or championship or anything, technically just a normal game during the season.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuPeGPwGKe8

I did watch this and enjoyed it, thanks for sharing! Maybe I'll pick it up and just pick a random team to pretend to be a fan of haha, role play a bit.

I know there's a Vancouver in Washington, do they have a team? Then it can be kind of like my home town team lol

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017

With this in mind it's crazy there was no video game for so long. Feels like money left on the table year after year.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
I setup cfb revamped in prep for this, and I forgot how dated the graphics were
this is long overdue

CabooseMSG

Jun 27, 2020
I did watch this and enjoyed it, thanks for sharing! Maybe I'll pick it up and just pick a random team to pretend to be a fan of haha, role play a bit.

I know there's a Vancouver in Washington, do they have a team? Then it can be kind of like my home town team lol
Unfortunately a lot of schools outside of Division 1 (FBS) are not in the game. I think Team Builder is in the game though, so you should be able to design your own team, it its anything like the old games.

OR

Feel free to be like Girls' Generation (the KPop group) and support the Iowa Hawkeyes (for some reason, probably cause the Tigerhawk is sick)

View: https://youtu.be/TGbwL8kSpEk?si=grrwqAwIKs41Isfh

ShabbadooJr

Oct 27, 2017
Omaha, NE
With this in mind it's crazy there was no video game for so long. Feels like money left on the table year after year.

A couple of jagweeds sued the NCAA over their "likeness" being included in older NCAA football and basketball games, even though their names were not used. It caused the football game to be cancelled by the NCAA as they didn't want to pay the players (Basketball stopped being made a couple of years earlier). Eventually the NCAA got sued by players and the court ruled that they cannot prevent players from being paid for the NIL (name, image, likeness), which allowed a College Football game to be made once again and players to be paid crazy amounts of money to "play" or go the a school. NCAA is no longer involved in the game and EA Sports has been working on this for 3-4 years now by making deals with schools, conferences, players. etc, and it is finally coming out next week.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
A couple of jagweeds sued the NCAA over their "likeness" being included in older NCAA football and basketball games, even though their names were not used. It caused the football game to be cancelled by the NCAA as they didn't want to pay the players (Basketball stopped being made a couple of years earlier). Eventually the NCAA got sued by players and the court ruled that they cannot prevent players from being paid for the NIL (name, image, likeness), which allowed a College Football game to be made once again and players to be paid crazy amounts of money to "play" or go the a school. NCAA is no longer involved in the game and EA Sports has been working on this for 3-4 years now by making deals with schools, conferences, players. etc, and it is finally coming out next week.

Interesting how it finally came together. I guess just with how much money is on the line I'm surprised it took so long for everybody to figure it out but with so many different parties involved it makes sense that it was a logistical challenge to get all the approvals and get everybody on board. Glad it happened finally.

CabooseMSG

Jun 27, 2020
Interesting how it finally came together. I guess just with how much money is on the line I'm surprised it took so long for everybody to figure it out but with so many different parties involved it makes sense that it was a logistical challenge to get all the approvals and get everybody on board. Glad it happened finally.
To be fair its been in the works for a while, the American court system is just incredibly slow. The ex-player in the case against the NCAA in that 2021 legal ruling played CFB from 2008-2012. His career ended before the game stopped being made in 2013. The preceding case, O'Bannon vs NCAA, was first argued in 2014 https://wvusports.com/sports/football/roster/shawne-alston/6959

Last edited:

Lbbaker

May 21, 2018
I seriously cannot wait for this game. Has there been any talk of adding FCS teams in the future or the next installment?

HoodedSoldier

Sep 29, 2018

Tagovailoa

Feb 5, 2023
Every thread I say it
It's going to be a massive uptick in console sales
I have never seen more people say I'm buying one for this game this generation
Granted most of my friends/contacts are into college football but it's still the only time

I bought one for this game

I guess for others too, but in a week when this game is out I will be there playing it all day

edit: I guess looking at my username and avatar it is not surprising that I love college football!

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
Do we need to call players fighting for their rights to not be exploited for corporate gains with no compensation "jagweeds?"

northnorth

Dec 4, 2017

I'm an auburn fan. I grew up about 30 minutes from there and my last Iron Bowl was in Tuscaloosa in…. 2014. Where auburns rival plays. Lmao. Dawg. That is literally my last Iron Bowl there at least. I was wearing a Cam Newton jersey. (An old QB that won Auburn a national championship) and keep in mind. I'm not drunk. I'm late 20s. I'm not looking for any trouble. I had COPS talking shit to me. I had like gangster ass dudes smoking blunts rolling up in their car telling me to take the fucking jersey off. I had drunk dudes hopping out of bushes acting like they were gonna beat my ass.

I don't hold any of that against them. People in my section, stand up fucking Alabam fans. Nothing but class. Knew I wasn't there to cause trouble and neither did they haha. I just know I don't need to go back to Tuscaloosa lol. I'm sure there are nasty, scary people in Auburn too. But shit. College football is crazy here.

Well I guess never say never though. My girl is actually a bama grad. We're gonna need one of those "HOUSE DIVIDED" signs or something.

Scrobbles

Oct 25, 2017
Any idea if the New Zealand trick will be possible on Xbox for the Early Access period? I know it usually works for EA games but since Early Access starts at a set time idk if it'll work here

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
Just bought this for $48 on QVC.com for Xbox

First time I've outright bought a sports game like this in ages

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
Yeah, I can imagine with that many teams, stadiums, players, etc the level of complexity raises significantly

That's just the current challenge which they seemingly overcame. Until recently, the NCAA was a massive burden on the sport that prevented players from profiting on their own name, so the court case that changed all that is ultimately what allowed a CFB game to come back and potentially be better than ever now that it has real players. The sport is far less exploitative now and that's allowing it to grow into what I think is a new golden age for the sport. My irl team that I've had a season ticket to since childhood has 10k new season ticket holders this year alone.

The stadium environments being captured so well is also really key in this game despite it being a huge task. The NFL is so sterile and corporate compared to CFB, which is super obvious if you ever get to attend a game in a packed CFB stadium.

ShadowGldtr

Mar 26, 2024

So you are saying that Shoresy is a lie? Kidding kidding.

It really replaces soccer in the rest of the world as it is such a communal sport for the universities and surrounding areas.

War Eagle

Oct 27, 2017
USA

Yup, both my username and avatar stem from my college team

Tagovailoa

Feb 5, 2023
Ohio St. with two 90+ overall RBs and Oregon with two 90+ overall WRs with big speed and acceleration numbers.

Big Ten going to be a gauntlet.