Votes: 16 1.8%
  • Other (specify in thread and why)

Votes: 47 5.3%

• Total voters

luca

Oct 25, 2017
FRANK HERBERTS 6-BOOK SERIES

dunebooksgskgr.png

Before The Matrix, before Star Wars, before Ender's Game and Neuromancer, there was Dune - the greatest science fiction novel ever written.

The spice Melange is the rarest and most valuable element in the universe. It does everything from increasing a person's lifespan to making interstellar travel possible. And it can only be found on a single planet: the inhospitable desert world Arrakis.

Whoever controls Arrakis controls the spice. And whoever controls the spice controls the universe.

When the emperor transfers stewardship of Arrakis from the noble House Harkonnen to House Atreides, the Harkonnens fight back, murdering Duke Leto Atreides. Lady Jessica, Duke Leto's concubine, flees into the desert with their young son Paul, where they are rescued by a band of Fremen, the native people of Arrakis. The Fremen control Arrakis' second great resource: the monstrous worms that burrow beneath the burning desert sands.

In order to raise an army to avenge his father and retake Arrakis from the Harkonnens, Paul must earn the trust of the Fremen and lead a tiny army against the innumerable forces aligned against them.

His journey will change everything.

NEWS
DUNE: PART TWO COVERAGE

04.27.2023: First Look at Dune: Part Two by Vanity Fair
Timothée Chalamet, Zendaya, and director Denis Villeneuve share secrets from the new film and reveal Florence Pugh's, Austin Butler's, and Léa Seydoux's new characters.

07.14.2022: Souheila Yacoub Joins Dune: Part Two Cast as Shishakli
Souheila Yacoub has joined the cast of Warner Bros. and Legendary's Dune: Part Two.

06.30.2022: Dune: Part Two Delayed to November 17 2023
We gotta wait a little while longer for Denis Villeneuve's Dune: Part Two as Warner Bros has moved the Legendary film from Oct. 20, 2023 to Nov. 17, 2023.

06.21.2022: Lea Seydoux to play Lady Margot in Dune: Part Two
EXCLUSIVE: Striking while the iron's hot following her critically acclaimed performances at the recent Cannes Film Festival, Denis Villeneuve has tapped Léa Seydoux play Lady Margot in Warner Bros. and Legendary's Dune: Part Two.

04.14.2022: Dune: Part Two Starts Filming in July
"We start in July, and now is the time. I was with Javier at the Oscars, and we showed each other each other's paunches, and I said, 'We have to get ready very quickly.'" - Josh Brolin

04.12.2022: Javier Bardem and Josh Brolin Will Be Fighting the Whole Time
"Javier [Bardem] and I had a similar thing that we both admitted to each other at the Oscars, because we both have a little bit of paunch right now. And we talked to Denis. We hadn't read anything, and we talked to Denis the week before. He was like, 'You guys are fighting the whole time. And you've been in the desert with the Fremen and all that.' And we fucking panicked. We looked down and saw this little friend that we've been holding on our abdomen. So we were both on full diet mode at the Oscars, even though you absolutely couldn't tell. We were already in diet mode, in panic diet mode."

03.25.2022: Denis Villeneuve: "Biggest Challenge of My Career."
"I cannot say nothing about the movie – I don't like to talk about projects as I am doing them – but it's probably going to be the biggest challenge of my career, again, because it's even more complex than part 1," Villeneuve says.

03.19.2022: Dune: Part Two Will Be More Cinematic
"It's the journey where Paul Atreides and his mother, Lady Jessica, make contact with the Fremen culture and meet with the Fremen," the filmmaker teased about Part 2. "It's Paul's journey against the enemy."

He added, "It's a movie that will be more cinematic."
In regards to the HBO Max spinoff series Dune: The Sisterhood, Villeneuve has no oversee; he's strictly focused on the feature sequel and after that with the franchise. "We'll see what happens," he said.

03.18.2022: Denis Villeneuve on Zendaya's Role in Dune: Part Two
"For Zendaya, I will say Part One was a promise. I know that we saw a glimpse of her in Part One, but in Part Two, she'll have a prominent part. We will follow Timothée [Chalamet] and Zendaya on their adventures in the desert. That's the thing that excited me most about going back to Arrakis is to spend time with those characters again."

03.18.2022: Denis Villeneue on Dune: Messiah adaptation
Now I could envision a third movie and to make the adaptation of Dune Messiah that will complete Paul Atreides's story that I think would make sense. But each movie, those movies are monsters, and I can only do one at a time. If I survive Dune Part Two, then I might do the Messiah. When I start to think about that, I get tired. It's too much. I need to focus on one project at a time, to be honest. But Part Three will be...I'm making sure that Part Three will be doable.

03.15.2022: Script is done, crew is in prep and expect more IMAX scenes
"The screenplay is finished mostly, but it's always a work in progress. It'll be a work in progress until final cut, but I will say it's solidified. I have a script in my hands. We are in prep right now."

03.11.2022: Dune Writer Eyeing Third Film and Investigating Other Cinematic Prospects
"[The television show] is carrying on and I'm not allowed to talk about it very much. But that effort is alive and well," Spaihts told The Playlist. "I ended up getting moved off of it to work, not just on 'Dune: Part 2,' but to investigate other cinematic prospects in the 'Dune' universe, which we are still talking about and which, again, I'm not allowed to say very much about. But it is a very rich world in which to play, and I think it is ripe with opportunities for storytelling in every direction."

03.10.2022: 'Elvis' Star Austin Butler in Talks for Key Villain Role, Feyd-Rautha
Austin Butler, due for a breakout with this summer's Baz Luhrmann Elvis biopic, may be taking a trip to the desert for Dune: Part 2. The actor is in negotiations to star in the sequel to Denis Villeneuve's 2021 film.

03.10.2022: Part Two will be more visual driven
But the second one will definitely be more visual and less dialogue-driven. And, hopefully, there will be another film after that. Dune Messiah, Herbert's second novel in this universe, would make total sense as a third movie because it completes Paul Atreides's arc. I want to make part two as fast as possible, then I will wait a few years—until Timothée Chalamet gets a bit older—to do the final installment.

03.08.2022: Florence Pugh in Talks to Join Dune: Part Two
Pugh is being courted to play Princess Irulan, the daughter of the Emperor. Several obstacles remain, however, for any deal. The script is still being written, and thus the actress is said to be waiting for the latest draft. Also, scheduling poses another hurdle. Legendary is hoping to begin shooting this summer, but Pugh is also in contention for the Madonna biopic, and it is unclear when that would go, should she nab that role.

02.15.2022: Dune: Part Two Starts Filming This Summer
"It's like a chess game," Villeneuve added. "Some new characters will be introduced in the second part and a decision I made very early on was that this first part would be more about Paul Atreides and the Bene Gesserit, and his experience of being in contact for the first time with a different culture. Second part, there will be much more Harkonnen stuff."

10.26.2021: Dune: Part Two Greenlighted by Legendary and Warner Bros
In what comes as no surprise, the sequel for Dune finally has been greenlighted for an October 20, 2023 theatrical release with director, producer and co-screenwriter Denis Villeneuve returning.

DUNE 2021 COVERAGE
09.09.2020: Official Dune website is live, stating "coming to theaters" with no release date.

09.09.2020: Warner Bros releases first official trailer and cast interview [high bit-rate: Apple | HD-Trailers]

09.08.2020: Legendary releases the Litany Against Fear by Timothée Chalamet

09.02.2020: Denis Villeneuve talks to Empire about being half-satisfied about Lynch's Dune
"I'm a big David Lynch fan, he's the master," Villeneuve said. "When I saw [Lynch]'s Dune I remember being excited, but his take… there are parts that I love and other elements that I am less comfortable with. So it's like, I remember being half-satisfied. That's why I was thinking to myself, 'There's still a movie that needs to be made about that book, just a different sensibility.'"

09.01.2020: Empire reveals additional 2 images
02qpkhv.jpg
01y4jj7.jpg

08.31.2020: Empire reveals 3 new images
1l9jlz.jpg
2fnjwc.jpg
36ojii.jpg

08.28.2020: Empire Magazine unveils their cover story with 3 magazine covers
1eqkmc.jpg
2kzj7q.jpg
351jcs.jpg

08.27.2020:
Warner Bros. confirms teaser trailer to debut with Tenet on August 30/31
Description of teaser trailer:

05.14.2020: Empire releases new image of Paul in the training room on Caladan
If that hints at dark times ahead, Villeneuve also highlights the virtues of Atreides, who "will become a man" over the course of the story. "His survival depends on being able to make the right decisions and adapt to different dangerous situations. It's a very beautiful story about someone that becomes empowered," the director explains.
dune132ujqs.jpg

05.11.2020: Empire with new image of Gurney and Paul on an Ornithopter
"It's Paul's first contact with the deep desert, where he's mesmerised by it," Villeneuve tells Empire. "He has a strange feeling of being home. There's a lot of action at this specific moment, and [it's] one of the scenes in the movie that I'm starting to get pretty proud of."
duneygklr.jpg

04.19.2020: Official synopsis added to Warner Bros website.
synopsisg8jdb.jpg

04.18.2020: Warner Bros releases Ultra High Resolution shots of all the stills, removes tire tracks and tents from one shot
dune2l2j8z.jpeg

04.16.2020: First look at Chen Cheng as Dr Yueh drops on Weibo
d12q5jix.jpg

04.15.2020: Zendaya drops a second look at her character Chani on social media
d11erkv3.jpg

04.14.2020: Vanity Fair: Behold Dune: An Exclusive Look at Timothée Chalamet, Zendaya, Oscar Isaac, and More
Villeneuve intends to create a Dune that has so far only existed in the imagination of readers. The key, he says, was to break the sprawling narrative in half. When Dune hits theaters on December 18, it will only be half the novel, with Warner Bros. agreeing to tell the story in two films, similar to the studio's approach with Stephen King's It and It Chapter Two. "I would not agree to make this adaptation of the book with one single movie," says Villeneuve. "The world is too complex. It's a world that takes its power in details."
dune7j5jsh.jpeg
d93ik3h.jpg

04.13.2020: Vanity Fair: A First Look at Timothée Chalamet in Dune
Dune, still set to open on December 18, is one of the blockbusters that hasn't yet shifted back due to the coronavirus outbreak. "Dune was made by people from all over the world. Many of these people are like family to me, and they're very much in my thoughts," Villeneuve said. "I'm so proud to showcase their hard work. I look forward to a time when we can all get together again as Dune was made to be seen on the big screen."
d1crjgg.jpg

04.13.2020: Warner Bros reveals official logo and title treatment for Dune
logocqkws.jpg

POLLS
02.04.2020-02.03.2022
polllajf8.png

10.28.2019-02.03.2020
dune_poll_01rbjc6.jpg

RESOURCES

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I read these books when I was in seventh grade, I couldn't process shit that was going on because they're so dense. I still liked them because of how much they echo Arab culture and history, especially considering how sci fi and fantasy novels usually lean on European mythology and history.

Of course I have reread them many a time as I got older, and they never cease to amaze. So many layers to these stories, wheels within wheels within wheels...

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
not the words I would use to describe December 18 2020 but hey, cool OT
They finished principal photography so I assume we could see set shots or costumes etc. No VFX for ages but models and practical effects to sho.

they were still filming at Korda studios in Budapest when we visited our own sound stages earlier in the year. I was so tempted to snoop.

OP
OP
luca

luca

Oct 25, 2017
they were still filming at Korda studios in Budapest when we visited our own sound stages earlier in the year. I was so tempted to snoop.
Their unit in Budapest has also wrapped.

We will get media next year by the way.

Currently reading Children of Dune, bout 60% in. Loving it!
Nice to hear! Always interesting with new impressions. I'm about 60% through Heretics of Dune myself. Been reading the books all year and it's been a blast.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I read Dune, Messiah, and started Children of Dune but lost focus and it's been too long for me to pick it back up. Loved the original, have mixed feelings on Messiah and Children.

johan

Oct 29, 2017
Nice to hear! Always interesting with new impressions. I'm about 60% through Heretics of Dune myself. Been reading the books all year and it's been a blast.

I'll post some more elaborate opinions once I get over my cold!
I had never read Dune before, and I'd been meaning to move away from pretty much exclusively reading nonfiction so I started Dune in the summer. Mostly because I wanted to know what the fuss is al about. But the fuss is real good! Sometimes the text is a bit hard to parse but it seems to always makes sense later on.
I've been told that God Emperor is very weird so I'm looking forward to that

Allforce

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just about through with the first book. It's taken me a LONNNNG time to finish because it hasn't really sunk it's hooks in me, but it's interesting enough that I read a few pages every night before I fall asleep.

Was always curious about this series and with the movie coming I thought I'd get ahead of it so I can complain like a real fan.

Random fact, when I was about 7 or 8 years old Dune was a movie my parents rented to watch one night with another couple and I was barred from watching it with them, I was told "This is a film for adults" so for years after I always thought it was one of the movies behind the saloon doors at the video store, an "adult movie".

OP
OP
luca

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I'll post some more elaborate opinions once I get over my cold!
I had never read Dune before, and I'd been meaning to move away from pretty much exclusively reading nonfiction so I started Dune in the summer. Mostly because I wanted to know what the fuss is al about. But the fuss is real good! Sometimes the text is a bit hard to parse but it seems to always makes sense later on.
I've been told that God Emperor is very weird so I'm looking forward to that
God Emperor is heavily philosophical if anything. I honestly didn't find it too weird, but like you, I had also heard it described as such.

About the poll, I can't decide on which one is my favorite sequel so far. Alia is probably my favorite character in the series and it was so good to follow her and what came directly after Dune in Messiah. But God Emperor is so good in the themes it explores.

OP
OP
luca

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Rebecca talked about gender equality in regards to how Denis is gonna update some of the women for the movie next year:

Timothee and Dastmalchian has also talked about the project in recent weeks.

Gawge

Oct 27, 2017
Really excited for this film.

When I heard Villeneuve was directing I started reading the book, but gave up fairly quickly... still - excited!

DrKelpo

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I read Dune, Messiah, and started Children of Dune but lost focus and it's been too long for me to pick it back up. Loved the original, have mixed feelings on Messiah and Children.

That's pretty much where I am right now... loved the original, liked Messiah but I can barely bring myself to continue reading Children. It has some interesting ideas but it's too all over the place for my taste.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
I picked up the books earlier this year and read through them all.

It's a really odd series. Aside from the first one, which was pretty straight forward, it feels a bit hard to get into chapter by chapter. Sometimes I kind of felt like I was constantly asking myself "Ok, now what the fuck does that mean?" It's heady and philosophical, which can be hard to get around. But in addition to that it's vague on purpose. Herbert thought people imagining things would be more interesting than actually describing those things, which is a bit different and can be hard to get through.

But when I zoom out and kind of look at the series as a whole I like what he did overall and with the twists and turns of expectations.

I voted Children in the poll. Messiah kinda felt like an extra part of the first book. It didn't grab me as much, but I appreciated it needing to be there. I liked God Emperor but kinda felt like it could have done more with the concept. Heretics and Chapter House were both fine books overall.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
I have finished up to God Emperor, which I really liked because I love philosophical shit. It had some great insights in there, I really enjoyed the things he was talking about. I'd still say Dune is my favourite just because it does everything so well. The politics, the ecology, the culture....it is fantastic.

I'm finishing up the 2nd book of Wheel of Time, but I've got Heretics and Chapterhouse ready to go. (Well I thought I'd take a break and read Dark Places by Gillian Flynn first).

I am very excited for Denis' movie. His catalogue so far is a masterclass as far as I'm concerned. He has a ridiculous streak of good to amazing movies going.

That's pretty much where I am right now... loved the original, liked Messiah but I can barely bring myself to continue reading Children. It has some interesting ideas but it's too all over the place for my taste.
Finish it off! There is some pretty crazy shit to come which really made that book for me.

nu_faust

Oct 27, 2017
Smt
I was all about Dune back in the days. Couple of years ago the first thing one of my high school friends who I haven't seen in over 20 years (yea I'm old) was "so you are still into Dune?" that made me realize how much the books meant to me back in the days and how much of a fan I was of Herbert's magnum opus. I remember when this thing called internet was new my dad asked "so what can you do with this thing?" I showed him mars rover pics from NASA's website and mentioned how now I can chat about Dune from people all over the world, he just went "huh neat I guess".

Also being a Dune fan is the primary reason that I could never be so much in to Tolkien, I mean I respected the middle world lore and all but the the themes, the depth of philosophy, the ecological aspects put Dune on a totally different level.

It's sad that even after the fantasy literature/gaming/geekdom subculture has exploded and taken over the mainstream culture (maybe it's the other way around who knows?) Dune as an IP is still not where it deserves to be. I mean I get it the books go little to inaccessible after the 3rd one, I really like to act like Herbert's son's novels don't exist, the Lynch movie especially expanded versions are not bad but still one of biggest cinematic bombas of all time, the tv shows were 2nd rate at best and received mixed reception etc but still maybe the long awaited messiah is Villeneuve and hopefully his work would put the IP back in the majors. I still don't get why they didn't go GOT style TV show format though, the source material is soo built for that.

CaptainTrips

Nov 20, 2017
I'm reading through God Emperor for the first time...this book is certainly something.
I think the line from the book says everything about it - "I don't understand your government, your Empire, anything. The more I find out, the more i realize that I don't know what's going on"

Its the shame the book is unfilmable as it probably my favourite installment of the series thus far filled with fantastic philosophical character studies.

OP
OP
luca

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta say they've been incredibly secretive with the production of Dune, but I like that. Surprise us.

Think I'm gonna resume Heretics, I've had a month's break.

Last edited:

Neophant

Oct 25, 2017
Great OT Pachimari ! I've been a long time dormant Dune fan but was thinking of getting back into the books now that the movie is being prepped for release next year. For now I've been excited to try out the board game that's finally been reprinted. Still waiting for my local shop to get theirs.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
Yes! Favorite book and series since I was a kid.
My wife is on God Emperor reading the series for the first time, too!

Brian who?

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Might as well follow this
Started the books this summer, really liked the first, found the second whatever, too straight forward. Children was nice. Now I'm at like chapter 22 of god emperor and it doesn't feel that weird ? Just some predator stuff that I'm not yet getting but Leto is pretty open about his goals.

I need to watch the last episode of the syfy show too. It's done OK, but pretty cheap and sometimes kind of boring and also really rushes through some plot points. More enjoyable than the movie at least.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Might as well follow this
Started the books this summer, really liked the first, found the second whatever, too straight forward. Children was nice. Now I'm at like chapter 22 of god emperor and it doesn't feel that weird ? Just some predator stuff that I'm not yet getting but Leto is pretty open about his goals.

The weirdness goes up a couple notches after Emperor. Still worth it for one of the best characters in the series.

CaptNink

Oct 27, 2017
B.C, Canada
Thank you for this thread OP!

Finished up my annual read of DUNE a couple of months ago. Going to start Messiah once I finish up a couple of other books on my stack.

Really hope we see something of the new movie soon!

OP
OP
luca

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Can we expect a teaser trailer of DUNE this December attached to Star Wars or is it too early?
seems so early since it would literally be a year away but they've wrapped shooting so they could theoretically give us some kind of teaser.

shit would be hype.
I posted in that other Dune movie thread a tweet from the marketing chief who said we won't get any media until next year. He posted that over the summer. And now I can't find it of course.

Deleted member 56580

User requested account closure
Banned
May 8, 2019
The craziest aspect of the novel is that pretty much everything described in it then, and by that I mean imagined by the author, is actually happening in today's age

It's mindblowing to read

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
I read the first 4 books and I'm 100% sure I'm done with the series.

God Emperor is a massive waste of time.

Failburger

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
I wasn't impressed with the first book because of the white savior trope. Are the sequels better?

OP
OP
luca

luca

Oct 25, 2017

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
He's the opposite of a savior. The entire message of Dune as a whole is that we should largely be mistrustful of messiahs, saviors, leaders, etc

Eh. That seems to be more the message of Messiah than Dune. In Dune we get a few exchanges foreshadowing the danger of Muadib but for the most part the book is a borderline masturbatory victory lap for Paul.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Now I'm curious since you've mentioned them three times before in another Dune thread. Do you work for them?

Nope, I just feel like its something that would be cool for Dune fans that might not know about it. Since this was the Official OT, I thought I would share it. Plus I think the Shui Halad artwork has been put in since the last time I posted.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Eh. That seems to be more the message of Messiah than Dune. In Dune we get a few exchanges foreshadowing the danger of Muadib but for the most part the book is a borderline masturbatory victory lap for Paul.
I meant Dune as a series. The first book definitely did make it explicit what he was doing was not good at all, but people missed that it seems and I heard Messiah got a good amount of backlash back in the day because Paul wasn't the hero.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't impressed with the first book because of the white savior trope. Are the sequels better?

The first book makes it explicit as well. Towards the end, Paul reflects on the (bad) effect he has had on Stilgar.

Oct 27, 2017
I always avoided the Dune sequels cause people always said they were bad. I loved the original as a teenager, I read it 3 or 4 times in my teens. I must do a reread before the movie; the last time I read it was probably over ten years ago. Thanks to this thread I may try a sequel, I have them all on my kindle so why not?

Hyped for the movie I have loved everything Villeneuve has done. This whole thing is like some kind of fever dream, I'm not quiet sure it's real. I'll probably still be doubting it until I sit down to watch it.

OP
OP
luca

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I always avoided the Dune sequels cause people always said they were bad. I loved the original as a teenager, I read it 3 or 4 times in my teens. I must do a reread before the movie; the last time I read it was probably over ten years ago. Thanks to this thread I may try a sequel, I have them all on my kindle so why not?
To me personally, the sequels is really what makes Dune. They're worth it if you ask me.

I got 150 pages left of Heretics of Dune and it's so good so far. I love the focus on the Bene Gesserit, and I really like Teg and Odrade so far.

I just read the chapters where Odrade discovers the melange holding and the messages left by the Tyrant. That was a great chapter with lots of mysticism that peaked my curiosity. The next chapter with Teg using his military expertise to fend off the Face Dancers from Duncan and Lucilla was lovely too. Loved the description of the snowy forest, the lasguns and the effects of their blasts and at last when Teg got stunned, damn. Others sure can make use of the unexpected too! And the chapter after, where Odrade is playing Waff and casually drops that she's the one who wrote the Atreides Manifesto was such a great ending to that chapter.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I was so interested in the 2020 film but then I found out it stars Timothée Chalamet and I don't care for him at all... I'm sure I'll give it a chance but that changes it for me a bit

OP
OP
luca

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man, Timothée is like the most perfect casting for Paul Atreides. At least I hope some of the other great actors will do it for you. There's plenty of talent in that cast. Rebecca as Jessica, Josh Brolin as Gurney Halleck, Javier Bardem as Stilgar, Zendaya as Chani, Jason Momoa as Duncan, Stellan Skarsgård as Vladimir, and even Oscar Isaac as the Duke, Bautista as the Beast, Charlotte Rampling as Gaius Helen Mohiam.

I'm sorry Timothée is a deal-breaker for you. Hopefully you can get something from the movie anyway.

I drool every time I'm reminded of the cast.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
I was so interested in the 2020 film but then I found out it stars Timothée Chalamet and I don't care for him at all... I'm sure I'll give it a chance but that changes it for me a bit
I just watched The King on netflix and I can assure you that Timothee is the perfect casting for Paul.

He has the young man of ideals thrust into power but cannot contain the corruption thing down. He will nail the look of peering into his dark future and being unable to do anything about it. At the same time he is able to hold himself in a way to show his command. And he looks like my mental image of Paul. Dark hair, handsome like a prince, wiry strength build. I'm very excited for Dune.