• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
So you add the app in the MS store and it will show up for you on your XBOX? I have a friend who is trying to get it so he can try it out.
If you're friend is on Windows 10 and can get on the MS Store he will be able to download the app and use a 14 day trial (linked to his @live account).

The instructions are in the OP. :)

OP
OP
Kickfister

Kickfister

May 9, 2019
So you add the app in the MS store and it will show up for you on your XBOX? I have a friend who is trying to get it so he can try it out.
It won't show up on your xbox because you buy it in the MS store. BUT, buying it on the MS store also purchases it on xbox, whenever it does release (which really should be sometime soon).

dsk1210

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh UK
I have said this already but this is the most impressive surround sound on headphones that I have ever tried. I have tried lots over the years and never enjoyed the sound quality they have produced but the special sound and quality of this is fantastic.

I have been playing the Half Life games again and it sounds fantastic with this.

OP
OP
Kickfister

Kickfister

May 9, 2019
I added this info to the OP, but in case anybody is watching the thread I wanted to make a new post as well.

So I figured out how to turn on or off the 5.1/7.1 virtual surround aspect of spatial audio. It's controlled by the "disable all enhancements" checkbox in the properties for your audio device. Using AC Odyssey as a test, checking that box makes the game output plain stereo to my headphones, and unchecking the box gives me the 7.1 surround mix. True spatial audio works with either setting.

So to be clear, checking this box will make it so that ONLY games that use the spatial audio api (games in the list above for example) will work. If you keep the box unchecked, it will also work for 5.1/7.1 surround sources.
txtn4Uc.png

It's truly a mystery that Microsoft opted to remove the extremely clear option in favor of something this obtuse.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2019
What I need to understand is: how much do I have to pay?

Just the 19.90 euros for the DTS: Headphone X?

Yeah

Well, it was on sale not long ago, but it works like Dolby Atmos in that regard: One single payment and you get your license forever

I added this info to the OP, but in case anybody is watching the thread I wanted to make a new post as well.

So I figured out how to turn on or off the 5.1/7.1 virtual surround aspect of spatial audio. It's controlled by the "disable all enhancements" checkbox in the properties for your audio device. Using AC Odyssey as a test, checking that box makes the game output plain stereo to my headphones, and unchecking the box gives me the 7.1 surround mix. True spatial audio works with either setting.
txtn4Uc.png

It's truly a mystery that Microsoft opted to remove the extremely clear option in favor of something this obtuse.

That's some Nintendo level of convoluteness

Don't you need to tick the Virtual Surround option?

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017

txtn4Uc.png

This should be unchecked by default and doesn't actually provide virtual surround unless the game outputs 5.1.

Currently playing Witcher 3 for example and that only outputs Stereo, which means no Virtual Surround.

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
This should be unchecked by default and doesn't actually provide virtual surround unless the game outputs 5.1.

Currently playing Witcher 3 for example and that only outputs Stereo, which means no Virtual Surround.

This is due to a bug with Xaudio2 that detects your sound device as stereo.

I used the patcher at the link below and it fixed it for me in a bunch of games. Coupled with patched audio drivers I now have real time 5.1 DTS encoding over SPDIF and virtualized surround over headphones (via Dolby Atmos) working.

OP
OP
Kickfister

Kickfister

May 9, 2019
Don't you need to tick the Virtual Surround option?
The virtual surround checkbox is an old school setting for receivers that use a matrix decoder to output surround sound. It's not for headphones.
This is due to a bug with Xaudio2 that detects your sound device as stereo.

I used the patcher at the link below and it fixed it for me in a bunch of games. Coupled with patched audio drivers I now have real time 5.1 DTS encoding over SPDIF and virtualized surround over headphones (via Dolby Atmos) working.

Thank you now I don't need to type it lol.

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017

txtn4Uc.png

You've confused me. For Spatial Audio do we need box ticket or not?

OP
OP
Kickfister

Kickfister

May 9, 2019
You've confused me. For Spatial Audio do we need box ticket or not?
It works whether it's ticked or not for actual spatial audio (the list of games in the OP). For virtual surround (the stuff a gaming headset does), you want to leave that box unchecked. If you don't like that effect, then you can check that box to remove that feature.

OP
OP
Kickfister

Kickfister

May 9, 2019
what are some good entry level dst headphones?
can they have atmos?
You can use any headphones you like.
I wonder if this purchase will carry over to XSX. I'm not paying now if it won't.
Dunno if it's confirmed or not but I can't imagine they'd charge you again.
Is this on xbox yet?
Still doesn't mention being released on the FAQ page, but it still might be worth checking for the app on the store.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
So wait now I'm confused with my Arctis 7, what happens if I enable DTS X v2 but check "Disable All Enhancements"?

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
It will work, but only for games that actually use the spatial audio API (the games listed in the OP for example). If you leave it unchecked, it will also work for 5.1/7.1 surround sources.

Ah so if I get that right with all enhancements off it will work in tandem with games supporting it and with them on it will be emulated in all games?

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I checked the marketplace it's only available for pc right ? Atmos is buggy sometimes on Xbox so I would change in heartbeat

OP
OP
Kickfister

Kickfister

May 9, 2019
Ah so if I get that right with all enhancements off it will work in tandem with games supporting it and with them on it will be emulated in all games?
No. Spatial audio is a completely different thing from the 5.1/7.1 virtual surround, but they bundle together the functionality. That checkbox is purely toggling whether it'll report to games as accepting a surround sound signal. Spatial audio stuff is different.

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Is this on xbox yet?
I checked the marketplace it's only available for pc right ? Atmos is buggy sometimes on Xbox so I would change in heartbeat
Unfortunately it's only for PC for now, but DTS confirmed it will also come to Xbox by the first half of 2020.

New 19041 Dashboard OS was just released to the public, so we shouldn't wait much longer.
I also can't wait to switch Atmos for Headphones for it, as it seems much better and reliable.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Unfortunately it's only for PC for now, but DTS confirmed it will also come to Xbox by the first half of 2020.

New 19041 Dashboard OS was just released to the public, so we shouldn't wait much longer.
I also can't wait to switch Atmos for Headphones for it, as it seems much better and reliable.
Recently my Xbox one X switch to windows sonic instead of atmos. Happens weekly few times and I need to start the atmos app again and set up things. Annoying as hell.
but does that means that all atmos enhanced game will be dtsx as well ?

Derko1

Oct 29, 2017
what are some good entry level dst headphones?
can they have atmos?

Any headphones work. If you start looking further into the world of headphones though, you get some great very high end quality from open back headphones for cheaper. Than you would from very mainstream "gamer" or the sort of type of headphones. Open back would probably work even better for this application, as it'll create more "openness" in the way the audio feels.

Everyone has their own camps on what they like and unless you are able to really listen to them yourself, it's the only way to really say what sounds best to you. I would suggest setting a budget and looking at what different options are available at that price range.

Edit: Quoted the wrong person. Ty Oopy Doopy

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kickfister

Kickfister

May 9, 2019
Any headphones work. If you start looking further into the world of headphones though, you get some great very high end quality from open back headphones for cheaper. Than you would from very mainstream "gamer" or the sort of type of headphones. Open back would probably work even better for this application, as it'll create more "openness" in the way the audio feels.

Everyone has their own camps on what they like and unless you are able to really listen to them yourself, it's the only way to really say what sounds best to you. I would suggest setting a budget and looking at what different options are available at that price range.
I think you quoted the wrong person :p
So which is is TDS headphone: X or DTS X Sound Unbound?
DTS Sound Unbound is the App you need. DTS Headphone X is the feature in the app that you want.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
Ok, this sounds amazing. I like that it has a profile specifically for my headphones (Sennheiser HD280 Pros). Put on Infinity War and compared it to Windows Sonic and it sound much cleaner, better spatial separation and less tinny, even though Windows Sonic still sounds pretty good and I preferred it to the Dolby Atmos app when I tried it last summer. It being free helped. I'll buy this when my trial is up though.

Hopefully it comes to Xbox soon.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Hadoken

Oct 25, 2017

So to be clear, checking this box will make it so that ONLY games that use the spatial audio api (games in the list above for example) will work. If you keep the box unchecked, it will also work for 5.1/7.1 surround sources.
txtn4Uc.png

Holy crap, I untick that box and now RDR2 audio output shows a surround option. Before it only showed Headphones and Stereo. My sound setting now shows "Dobly Atmos for headphone in use". Reading through this thread someone at MS need to get their shit together and redo Win 10 sound setups.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, not for me. Sounds really bad with Hyper X Cloud. Maybe I'll give it a shot with my K702's to see if that makes a difference, but I've never liked virtual surround. I've never had a problem with positional sound in competitive shooters with 2 channel. Straight up binaural has always been best to my ears. I guess map awareness makes up for some of it. Not saying this isn't strictly better for positional audio, but the tech still sounds horrible to me.

OP
OP
Kickfister

Kickfister

May 9, 2019
Yeah, not for me. Sounds really bad with Hyper X Cloud. Maybe I'll give it a shot with my K702's to see if that makes a difference, but I've never liked virtual surround. I've never had a problem with positional sound in competitive shooters with 2 channel. Straight up binaural has always been best to my ears. I guess map awareness makes up for some of it. Not saying this isn't strictly better for positional audio, but the tech still sounds horrible to me.
Just curious, what game did you test with? And did your headset have an EQ preset in the app?

thematic

Fallen Guardian
Oct 31, 2017
this works with any headphones right?
I'm currently using Sony PS3 Pulse one with USB Wireless Dongle

also how often the app having a sale?

Thanks!

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Recently my Xbox one X switch to windows sonic instead of atmos. Happens weekly few times and I need to start the atmos app again and set up things. Annoying as hell.
but does that means that all atmos enhanced game will be dtsx as well ?
I also have those random fallback to Sonic on Xbox, very frustrating.
Plus I also started having some subtle crackling noise from time to time.
Can't wait to switch to DTS.

I personally tested the new DTS:H X v2 on PC and I can confirm it works well also for all native Atmos games and movie sources (like Netflix), as both Atmos and DTS use the same underline Windows Spatial Audio APIs.
Both are also auto-disabling any processing with pure Stereo sources like music, to preserve audio fidelity.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
Ive tried a few games and it is pretty impressive. Resident Evil 2 however sounds 100% terrible with it turned on. Wtf happened.

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017
For PC only gaming, a Sennheiser GSX 1000 dac/amp is the best no compromise surround solution, I've ever heard, zero loss in sound qualities, really does open up the sound stage, it's great that it uses the 7.1 speaker config in Windows, and doesn't just upconvert stereo.

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
For PC only gaming, a Sennheiser GSX 1000 dac/amp is the best no compromise surround solution, I've ever heard, zero loss in sound qualities, really does open up the sound stage, it's great that it uses the 7.1 speaker config in Windows, and doesn't just upconvert stereo.
Sonic, Atmos for Headphones and DTS:H X v2 do not "just upconvert stereo".

They pick up native 5.1/7.1 or true Atmos tracks, and process them with HRTF/Binaural algorithms, and in the end output back the processed results in Stereo for the Headphones.

Native Stereo sources (like music) is left unaltered.

Among those new tech, DTS:H X v2 is the most impressive for me.
And the even more impressive thing is that no additional hardware/equipment is needed, and the support is system wide.

DOTDASHDOT

Oct 26, 2017
Sonic, Atmos for Headphones and DTS:H X v2 do not "just upconvert stereo".

They pick up native 5.1/7.1 or true Atmos tracks, and process them with HRTF/Binaural algorithms, and in the end output back the processed results in Stereo for the Headphones.

Native Stereo sources (like music) is left unaltered.

Among those new tech, DTS:H X v2 is the most impressive for me.
And the even more impressive thing is that no additional hardware/equipment is needed, and the support is system wide.

Yeah I know, I didn't explain myself very well, of course Atmos/DTSX and Sonic do that, I just meant that the GSX does that too, and doesn't alter the charactistics like all other solutions do, but it is hardware based obviously.

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Yeah I know, I didn't explain myself very well, of course Atmos/DTSX and Sonic do that, I just meant that the GSX does that too, and doesn't alter the charactistics like all other solutions do, but it is hardware based obviously.
I didn't try GSX, but differently than Sonic, both Atmos for Headphones and DTS:H v2 are not altering original charactistics too much, while noticeably improving positional awareness (especially DTS).

DOTDASHDOT

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't try GSX, but differently than Sonic, both Atmos for Headphones and DTS:H v2 are not altering original charactistics too much, while noticeably improving positional awareness (especially DTS).

youtu.be

The Most Advanced Gaming Headset - HyperX Cloud ORBIT S

Today we experience the latest HyperX Cloud Orbit S gaming headset with fantastic planar magnetic audio drivers and interesting 3D Audio implementation with ...

These are supposed to be good too, so maybe make that two good surround solutions :)

To be fair though, I thought Atmos for headphones was pretty good when I tried it.

Oct 30, 2017
anyone know what to do for windows if the enable 7.1 virtual surround checkbox is missing in Windows? I have Sonic and Atmos, but the option to turn on virtual 7.1 is not there...