• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jun 26, 2018
Are people putting copyrighted songs in their creation? they are allowed to do that?

Some are, and no
I'm trying to do custom animations for idle, walking and running. Idle worked just fine but walking is amother thing, I wanted to eliminate every procedural animation so outside of my idle animation the character obviously just slides. The thing is I did my own walk and while the animation runs when I'm pushing the stick it still slides around, like a forward moonwalking.
How can I avoid this?

Your puppet movement speed has to match the animation's "movement" speed, is my best guess :)

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Some are, and no

Your puppet movement speed has to match the animation's "movement" speed, is my best guess :)

It might be that... because my walk animation actually worked like my any movement animation. I still think there might be some force to apply or something to make it stompier.

That said, it's my first real try and for that I think I'll leave procedural on and focus on running first since you can switch between running and walking easier I believe.

Once I have that solved I might turn everything off again and give the walking another go.

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to do custom animations for idle, walking and running. Idle worked just fine but walking is amother thing, I wanted to eliminate every procedural animation so outside of my idle animation the character obviously just slides. The thing is I did my own walk and while the animation runs when I'm pushing the stick it still slides around, like a forward moonwalking.
How can I avoid this?
are you using the puppet? have you turned off the procedural animations for walk/run? that might/might not help.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
are you using the puppet? have you turned off the procedural animations for walk/run? that might/might not help.

Exactly, I turned both things off and checked that they don't work, my character started to slide as expected. Then I did my own walk animation and the animation worked but the character still felt like sliding around.
It might be because my walking it's actually walking and running but even if I press the stick gently it still slides around while the animation plays.

I'll keep working on it tomorrow, maybe my logic is wrong.

Jun 26, 2018
Exactly, I turned both things off and checked that they don't work, my character started to slide as expected. Then I did my own walk animation and the animation worked but the character still felt like sliding around.
It might be because my walking it's actually walking and running but even if I press the stick gently it still slides around while the animation plays.

I'll keep working on it tomorrow, maybe my logic is wrong.

Try wiring the "walking strength" output from the "puppet interface" gadget into your walk timeline's playback speed? So thatit adjusts the speed of your walking animation based on how fast you're walking, maybe that'll do it?

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Try wiring the "walking strength" output from the "puppet interface" gadget into your walk timeline's playback speed? So thatit adjusts the speed of your walking animation based on how fast you're walking, maybe that'll do it?

I was watching tutorials (there aren't many on youtube) and actually watched one that has my same problem but he just left it like that, anyway while he was touching stuff I saw the walking strenght output and while he avoid it I thought it might be handy. I'll take your idea and try again with it.
There are some other stats you can tweak on the puppet that might be usefull to what I want so... gonna be a busy weekend. ^^

Edit: Thx! :)

Edit 2: One of the guys I follow and did a tutorial for running told me the same as you as to match the animation speed with the walking speed so that might actually be the thing.

Last edited:

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
This may end up being my GOTY. Surfing random creations is one of the best gaming experiences I had lately. The tutorials are also very good, I hope I'll manage to make something acceptable someday.
Very happy for this kinda-blind purchase, I really didn't care about Dreams before seeing some videos, then decided to jump in. 39,99 € is cheap for this package.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
How come there is no love here yet for Damned? I was so impressed by it. A giant story driven platform game. Not amazing graphics, but gameplay is fun, story is great and the world building is awesome.

Lets me remind of the old platform games that we know of the PlayStation 2 era. It's crazy that this is made by just one person.

indreams.me

DAMNED (old version)

This game is being reworked/redone from the ground up. This version is being scrapped, but you may still enjoy this old version. The new one is not up yet. Twitter: EVARRA_ Instagram: Evarra

Yeah, albeit still rough in some.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Long time i didn't spam a little with my game haha :p

Subtle update to world 3, we're still working on the gameplay for this one but i wanted to rework the sky with more impressionist colors and also i finished the music (Strong Vangelis vibe here!).

Also the Demo is now way more accessible, with some updated graphics for story purpose.

Gorgeous work!

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
The creator of Twilight Ghost has another game called Mountain Girl.
indreams.me

とんではねて山ガール! Mountain girl

山ガールちゃんが山頂を目指すジャンプアクションゲーム!スコアフラワーを集めてハイスコアを目指してみよう!<br><cross>ジャンプ/<circle>ゆっくり歩く<br><triangle>リトライ/<square>調べる

A peaceful hiking simulator a-la Death Stranding, but more colorful and lack of BTs.

0973fb66d76e228fdcdfc0da28cc445a

The character design is cute & good animations.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hmm, I don't disagree with your particular example as I also think RE is a pretty cinematic franchise, but comparing cutscene runtime isn't exactly a good way to measure how "cinematic and story driven" a game is. Even when compared to average play time.

One thing that most "cinematic AAA games" do is forced slow walking to slow down the gameplay pace to what the devs want in order to give you exposition while you're still technically in control. You can't do much other than hold the left analogue stick forward, it's basically as much of a story moment as a cutscene, but it's not technically a cutscene. There's a lot less of that in RE2 than in The Last of Us.

Cutscenes you can skip in most games, slow walking and other methods of delivering story "through gameplay" are usually unskippable. That's cinematic gaming from a design standpoint, especially when presented as negative, not just a game with a lot of cutscenes.

And, for what it's worth, I like The Last of Us a lot more than I like RE2.
Long time i didn't spam a little with my game haha :p

Subtle update to world 3, we're still working on the gameplay for this one but i wanted to rework the sky with more impressionist colors and also i finished the music (Strong Vangelis vibe here!).

Also the Demo is now way more accessible, with some updated graphics for story purpose.

Wow, utterly gorgeous!

Was hoping for lightsaber swinging animations, but definitely a solid foundation.

Oct 27, 2017
Was trying to simulate a sudden wind field affecting all grass, furry creatures, painted trees, etc. in a scene, using a force applier, and couldn't do it. But I was able to record a keyframe that ramped up individual objects' wind effects to 100%, including scoping into objects that were groups. Wind effects are handled differently between a sculpture versus a paint-stroke object. Seems like trying to create weather scenes (high winds or downpours that make water run down all objects) still will be a lot of work.

Something else I'm trying to figure out is how to, say, throw an object into a river and have it float down the river. I imagine that a clever arrangement of force appliers could simulate a current, but a basic bobbing/floating interaction on the water surface may require some animation work. Trying to solve these little problems really helps your abilities with the interface and controls, though.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Long shot but are there any resources/tutorials for cloth physics or cel-shading about?

Also, is it possible to animate screens inside a dream?

Nov 2, 2018
Skyroe the Griffin was one of the first Dreams I played and it's had a massive update since then. I think it's a perfect example of a wiser way of going about developing Dreams around existing I.P's and I hope more creators follow its example:

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
Skyroe the Griffin was one of the first Dreams I played and it's had a massive update since then. I think it's a perfect example of a wiser way of going about developing Dreams around existing I.P's and I hope more creators follow its example:

this one looks good. the controls look tigher.

the one person that did spyro was looking real fast. maybe because how the original is? i never really played it.

Conal

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
this one looks good. the controls look tigher.

the one person that did spyro was looking real fast. maybe because how the original is? i never really played it.

The biggest issue is that the creature has the turning circle of a 2 legged creature so it looks a bit janky when turning. Really like the voice acting though!

Sep 23, 2018
Just picked a copy up today and for the price i still can't believe what's on offer and available to me here.

I haven't created anything just yet, it's almost too daunting to start tonight and feel like I should wait until the morning when I'm well rested etc.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Liked the animation stream but wish they'd have a bit more structure to the Tuesday streams. Have questions up front and filter them ahead of the stream to be cohesive and on topic, or limit to the last 20-30 mins and have the start be more scripted

the timeline stuff was great but so fast and chaotic I couldn't properly follow. Jumping between key frames to fine tune; creating tween frames; and the overlapping circular animations were all fascinating but needed more time to show properly - perhaps with some prepared assets/timelines so they can focus on explaining stuff

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

Damn, I'd forgotten about this! Definitely one of the first Dreams I played in early access too! Seems so long ago...

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
Just picked a copy up today and for the price i still can't believe what's on offer and available to me here.

I haven't created anything just yet, it's almost too daunting to start tonight and feel like I should wait until the morning when I'm well rested etc.
welcome and make sure you try the beginner tutorials to help you get comfortable and learn the basic of the controls.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
I got a bit disheartened in doing the puppet tutorial (Where you dress up a puppet). I had my silly design ready to go and then when I started to move it would suddenly fling off in all directions and for the life of me I could not figure out why. I thought it might have been a grouping error of some kind but I tried ungrouping everything and it made it worse.

I'm also really self-critical when it comes to making things (This is true outside of Dreams too) so I barely get started on something before I think "This is shit." and I toss it aside. I didn't expect to be in a funk so soon.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I got a bit disheartened in doing the puppet tutorial (Where you dress up a puppet). I had my silly design ready to go and then when I started to move it would suddenly fling off in all directions and for the life of me I could not figure out why. I thought it might have been a grouping error of some kind but I tried ungrouping everything and it made it worse.

I'm also really self-critical when it comes to making things (This is true outside of Dreams too) so I barely get started on something before I think "This is shit." and I toss it aside. I didn't expect to be in a funk so soon.

not sure how the tutorial does it, but do they get you to scope in to the puppet?

Dreams can be complex and mapping so many controls to a DS4 inevitably means tons of shortcuts which just takes time to slowly absorb. Try and not get frustrated - it's easy to burn hours and not seem to get anywhere. It'll get better though

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
not sure how the tutorial does it, but do they get you to scope in to the puppet?

Dreams can be complex and mapping so many controls to a DS4 inevitably means tons of shortcuts which just takes time to slowly absorb. Try and not get frustrated - it's easy to burn hours and not seem to get anywhere. It'll get better though

Yeah, it was the one with the scoping, I was quite comfortable with that part so when I went to play and move the puppet it took about three steps before turning into something out of Ride To Hell:Retribution.

I was hoping after spending so much time on the tutorials I would be ready to get cracking, but obviously not. I'll give it a break and come back tomorrow evening.

astroturfing

Nov 1, 2017
Suomi Finland
man, this would be a 10/10 experience, but it makes my Pro so goddamn loud that im afraid it will overheat and break down any second, killing the enjoyment :( so its like a 2/10 now.

anyone else have the same problem? im talking absolutely ridiculously loud fans, you'd have to wear headphones on full blast destroying your ears to be able to ignore it. is there any possible fix, something in the settings maybe? i suspect its the unlocked framerate causing the issue again.. something like RDR2 with its locked 30fps can run for 12 hours straight and the Pro never goes crazy.

tarantullama

Oct 27, 2017
indreams.me

MOW

MOW is a game made in Dreams.

Here's my qwop-esque mowing simulator. Still thinking about adding/changing some stuff but for now I think it's kinda fun?

let me know what y'all think!

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
man, this would be a 10/10 experience, but it makes my Pro so goddamn loud that im afraid it will overheat and break down any second, killing the enjoyment :( so its like a 2/10 now.

anyone else have the same problem? im talking absolutely ridiculously loud fans, you'd have to wear headphones on full blast destroying your ears to be able to ignore it. is there any possible fix, something in the settings maybe? i suspect its the unlocked framerate causing the issue again.. something like RDR2 with its locked 30fps can run for 12 hours straight and the Pro never goes crazy.
its almost all the pro. its doing more.

the standard ps4 doesn't have that issue.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
Kotaku with a short-but-sweet list of recommendations:

kotaku.com

Can't Decide What To Play In Dreams? Try These

It’s not an exaggeration to say the possibilities in Dreams are endless. Media Molecule’s creativity game, which officially came out for PS4 a few weeks back, puts the tools of a developer in the hands of a gamer. It’s not the Frostbite Engine or iD Tech 4, but, on the other hand, you don’t need...

I haven't checked Heroes of Aldrenor myself, but I will correct that this weekend.

Deadceptor

Oct 26, 2017

Yes same thing here. Played the game today for the first time and I was so pissed about the noise. My SO tried to take a nap next to me on the sofa but she had to go the bedroom because it was so loud...and she already had ear plugs btw.

Ralph

Oct 27, 2017

Try some of the settings in the menu, there's ones for framerate or resolution preferences. One of those might help.
It makes my launch PS4 go crazy too, but pretty much every game does that now tbf.

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
Was trying to simulate a sudden wind field affecting all grass, furry creatures, painted trees, etc. in a scene, using a force applier, and couldn't do it. But I was able to record a keyframe that ramped up individual objects' wind effects to 100%, including scoping into objects that were groups. Wind effects are handled differently between a sculpture versus a paint-stroke object. Seems like trying to create weather scenes (high winds or downpours that make water run down all objects) still will be a lot of work.

Something else I'm trying to figure out is how to, say, throw an object into a river and have it float down the river. I imagine that a clever arrangement of force appliers could simulate a current, but a basic bobbing/floating interaction on the water surface may require some animation work. Trying to solve these little problems really helps your abilities with the interface and controls, though.
Use a gyroscope for something bobbing on the surface of the water, it is great at giving the effect of like a cork or a buoy bobbing in the ocean.

id probably experiment with using a trigger zone with an advanced mover gadget for the current as well as the floatation.

there was actually a recent mm stream where they covered different techniques like these for water if you're interested

Oct 27, 2017
Use a gyroscope for something bobbing on the surface of the water, it is great at giving the effect of like a cork or a buoy bobbing in the ocean.

id probably experiment with using a trigger zone with an advanced mover gadget for the current as well as the floatation.

there was actually a recent mm stream where they covered different techniques like these for water if you're interested

Thanks, I got something working for the floating, and with the gyro yeah. I'll find the mm water video later, those videos are really good.

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
Its thumb war.

whats more to say but get a friend and play it. its playable as 1 player but not as fun.

indreams.me

THUMBS FIGHTERS

Get your thumb ready and fight to get the higuest win streak, every time you win the CPU will get a little harder, or compete versus your friend! This is THUMBS FIGHTERS!

Skies

Oct 25, 2017
Here is the final edition of the Echochamber, an abstract passion project that turned into a two month affair.

Add it to your play later if you are looking for something new to try. I feel like it could be so much more, but I am satisfied to say it is unlike anything else on the dreamiverse!

indreams.me

The EchoChamber: Final Edition

Welcome to the Echolocation Initiative! Explore this portal-inspired dream with a power truly unique to the dreamiverse. Update (03/05/21): Story mode has finally arrived! Featuring more echolocation abilities, gunplay, a boss, and voice acting!

Last edited:

galvenize

Oct 25, 2017
The creator of Twilight Ghost has another game called Mountain Girl.
indreams.me

とんではねて山ガール! Mountain girl

山ガールちゃんが山頂を目指すジャンプアクションゲーム!スコアフラワーを集めてハイスコアを目指してみよう!<br><cross>ジャンプ/<circle>ゆっくり歩く<br><triangle>リトライ/<square>調べる

A peaceful hiking simulator a-la Death Stranding, but more colorful and lack of BTs.

0973fb66d76e228fdcdfc0da28cc445a

The character design is cute & good animations.

Any other japanese creators who are worth looking at? This is great.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
So I just booted up the game and the mist thumbed up and most played Dreams of the day are filled with this guy stealing work from others, what the hell!? Not giving him a single view but can MM do something about it?

I hope it fades quick, it's disheartening to ignore people's work just because I'm not in the mood to surf through all this crap.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
There are 2 things Im thinking of creating:

-A game that is a puzzle/fetch quest. Running around a small town, completing delivery quests by talking to random NPCs and discovering new NPCs around town. An intricate web of completing deliveries/quests, and unlocking new tools/items to access different parts. Just a casual chill game inspired by those quests in LoZ: Oracle of Seasons

-Just creating a large city like in a game like Minecraft or Cities Skylines. Free-building a bunch of buildings, suburban areas, farms, etc.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
So I just booted up the game and the mist thumbed up and most played Dreams of the day are filled with this guy stealing work from others, what the hell!? Not giving him a single view but can MM do something about it?

I hope it fades quick, it's disheartening to ignore people's work just because I'm not in the mood to surf through all this crap.

I would let Mm know, but also I think we should send feedback to Mm that remixing and releasing a dream without substantive changes shouldn't be allowed. People's hard efforts shouldn't be so easily published as if they had done it. Considering how well thought-out most of the social functions are, it's surprising they would allow this.