• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Meriadock

Apr 21, 2018
Brazil
I've just watched that horrible Ni No Kuni movie... So I thought that DQ would be bad too... But I was loving it until the last 10 minutes.

fundogmo

Oct 25, 2017
The Ni No Kuni movie has the odds stacked against it, because you come in subconsciously expecting it to be Ghibli quality and BOYYYYYYYY it is not.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
My 8-year old daughter has gotten into Dragon Quest through playing the Builders games together as well as XII and our trip to Japan in 2018. She is beyond ecstatic to watch this.

cdm00

The Fallen
Dec 5, 2018
I'm extremely excited to watch this, ready for classes to be done for the day

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
I'll definitely give this a watch but it boggles the mind why they decided to strip all of Toriyama's charm out of the character designs.

Saiyaman

Dec 19, 2017
Lmao, what a legendary twist.

I'd heard there was a twist and that it upset people, but I can't even fathom how you could get mad at this -- it's endearing, and not just to Dragon Quest fans, but playing games in general. I thought the whole thing was very touching.

My girlfriend and I have watched it twice already, hahaha.

Final thoughts were while the film takes liberties on the story (they have to condense a 30-hour story after all) and the pacing was too fast as a result of the long story even with the changes, it still feels like a relatively faithful adaptation of DQV with a lot of love, charm, and effort put into the overall film. Give it a watch, and keep an open mind.

OP
OP
Camjo-Z

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished it and uh... yeah. That was a 10/10 movie that got dragged down a few points at the end thanks to the pointless twist. Like, I get what they were going for, but the rest of it was such a incredibly faithful and enjoyable Dragon Quest movie that you just wish they'd put that extra runtime into properly pacing the super-rushed beginning instead of wasting it on an out-of-nowhere gimmick that doesn't enhance the experience at all.

Prof Bathtub

Apr 26, 2018
I wonder what the distribution deal with the Lupin movie will be. It will probably be better received by that series' respective western fans, and maybe even beyond, considering the attention its trailers got (even if a lot of it was thirsting over CG Jigen.)

Last edited:

El Pescado

Oct 26, 2017
Just finished it and uh... yeah. That was a 10/10 movie that got dragged down a few points at the end thanks to the pointless twist. Like, I get what they were going for, but the rest of it was such a incredibly faithful and enjoyable Dragon Quest movie that you just wish they'd put that extra runtime into properly pacing the super-rushed beginning instead of wasting it on an out-of-nowhere gimmick that doesn't enhance the experience at all.

I felt like the twist actually elevated the whole movie into something even greater. I really liked it and I'm surprised the twist is so heavily reviled.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

I thought the twist turned it from like a 7 or 8/10 to a 10/10. But I get that it's a controversial twist.

amon37

Oct 27, 2017
I dont remember anything about DQV so I guess that seems better?? Will watch this weekend.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Finished it - Dope video game movie, I didn't need this kind of ending but I can see where they were coming from.

Sucks that they didn't translate the credits though - come on.

We def. need more adaptations of that kind of our classic video game IPs.

OP
OP
Camjo-Z

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
I felt like the twist actually elevated the whole movie into something even greater. I really liked it and I'm surprised the twist is so heavily reviled.

I thought the twist turned it from like a 7 or 8/10 to a 10/10. But I get that it's a controversial twist.

It's like if you were watching Avengers Endgame and right before the climactic battle everyone suddenly stops while Kevin Feige comes onscreen to tell you that Spider-Man's just a fictional character but he can still inspire you. Like... no duh? That's the lesson we automatically take away from any good piece of media, it doesn't need to be explained to us. By interrupting an otherwise totally unrelated story to deliver that message, it ironically undermines its intent by ripping you out of the world you were so engrossed in and reminding you of how fake it really is.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
It's like if you were watching Avengers Endgame and right before the climactic battle everyone suddenly stops while Kevin Feige comes onscreen to tell you that Spider-Man's just a fictional character but he can still inspire you. Like... no duh? That's the lesson we automatically take away from any good piece of media, it doesn't need to be explained to us. By interrupting an otherwise totally unrelated story to deliver that message, it ironically undermines its intent by ripping you out of the world you were so engrossed in and reminding you of how fake it really is.

It's obviously different because you're not playing a game as a specific Avenger. In DQV you play as the protagonist, and that's how most of us remember playing the game, the way the protag of the movie did. More or less. I think it was done really well, to help explain the little variations in the story and why they skipped through the child section. It makes a lot of sense when the movie is called "Your story".

Obviously you can feel free to not like it but I thought it was very bold and it payed off really nicely.

ramyeon

Oct 25, 2017
I am honestly surprised that Japanese audiences hated the twist as much as they did.
It honestly really reminded me of those nostalgia ads for Dragon Quest XI and Kakarot in Japan that played off childhood memories of being the hero.

I expected to hate the ending after reading some spoilers but absolutely loved most things about the film. I even love the art style and I think it's great that they tried something new instead of just mimicking Toriyama's art style. I saw some complaints saying that the movie trashes the legacy of the games but I can't help but feel the exact opposite. The whole thing felt like a love letter to Dragon Quest and the SNES era of JRPGs.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I totally get why some in the audience hated the twist. I didn't really have a problem with it, more with the pacing. This thing moves super quickly. I'd been looking forward to watching this for some time.

I certainly enjoyed it more than the Ni No Kuni movie. I had some fun with it.

Tunichtgut

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Just saw it. It was rushed in many places, but i really loved it, and i loved the twist. Damn, now i want a dragon quest show in this quality with like 24 Episodes!

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Just watched it, apart from being rushed as fuck, because they want to touch the whole 50 hour journey and condense it in just below 2 hours, and the music being 1:1 the orchestrated tracks instead of composed specifically for the movie (should have been the same tracks but with new clearly made for the movie compostions to flow better with the scenes, some of the DQXI custcenes have a similar problem) I found the movie quite enjoyable. The being rushed part is sadly what people who havent any expreince with a DQ game (I havent played V but Iknow the gist of it, so I could follow the story easier) are probably not going to enjoy (lots of characters that seem important just appear a few minutes, which would led any normal movie goer baffled). Even if you havent played 5, DQ stories usually have similar tropes, so you can fill the gaps basically.

The animation is really nice, has a very western feel (japanese animation is a very hit or miss in 3D a lot of times) and IIRC this is the same studio as the new Lupin movie right? It still had a lot of japanese quirky moves in some of the parts that made it stand from just a western one, which was nice.

The character designs are very good for the main characters and the DQ monsters, but terrible with the "NPC"s Thats the place were I felt the toriyama touch was missing more, as random villagers in Dragon Quest have very destinctive designs.

And the twist... well I thought the twist was great and left me a little teary eye becuase of how my life is going at the moment. I think some people hate it becuase it follows a "similar" theme of the
overabundance of isekais in japanese media
, but to me it felt more like
the lego movie
ending than on of the
million shitty isekais
out there.
Maybe japanese people wanted to see how the fuck were gonna translate the cellula designed villain into this style
and the movie twists that so you feel sold out
? hahaha

If you like Dragon Quest I can recommend it, it has its faults but its quite enjoyable and fun.
If you played DQ11 only and despise DQ now becuase its too tropey and nice without shitty edgy stuff some people enjoy from Japanese RPGs, stay away.

Cross posting myself from the other thread:
I felt the same.

No, it just feels like an anime version of
the Lego movie ending
, the only thing is that they dont
leave little hints throught the movie. THOUGH you could say the start with the game menus and pixel graphics was already a big hint.
And the title lol

Last edited:
OP
OP
Camjo-Z

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
No, it just feels like an anime version of
the Lego movie ending
, the only thing is that they dont
leave little hints throught the movie. THOUGH you could say the start with the game menus and pixel graphics was already a big hint.
And the title lol

The difference is that The Lego Movie was a completely original story inspired by a literal children's toy and the twist was integral to the plot, whereas this is a straight adaptation of Dragon Quest V for 95% of the movie and the twist has nothing to do with the rest of the film.

If they wanted an emotional core to the film, I think it should have been the central theme of parenthood, that - to quote Yoda, a character from a movie with a much better twist - "we are what they grow beyond". They should have spent more time developing the relationships between Luca and his father and Luca and his son. Or if they really wanted that ending twist about the player's connection to a video game, they should have based the entire story around it, like Undertale.

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
Ending spoiler

They really just wanted to joke about how difficult it is to not choose Bianca even on subsequent playthroughs!

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
The difference is that The Lego Movie was a completely original story inspired by a literal children's toy and the twist was integral to the plot, whereas this is a straight adaptation of Dragon Quest V for 95% of the movie and the twist has nothing to do with the rest of the film.

If they wanted an emotional core to the film, I think it should have been the central theme of parenthood, that - to quote Yoda, a character from a movie with a much better twist - "we are what they grow beyond". They should have spent more time developing the relationships between Luca and his father and Luca and his son. Or if they really wanted that ending twist about the player's connection to a video game, they should have based the entire story around it, like Undertale.

Isnt an integral part of dragon quest that Hero
is basically you? like that is very drilled into the core of the series, and it actually feels like that becuase even in 11 the hero has little emotion during cutscenes where every other character is vibrant as fuck. Hero being you is intentional by Horii and I think he accomplishes that even when it doesnt have as much choice as western RPGs for example. An example of the contrary, as much as Miyamoto can say a million times the character is you, is Link that has its own personality and theres zero choice.
I dont think the choice of the ending is so out there as you think, they just chose to Dragon Quest V because the choices in that game there are much more pronounced to the story. I dont think that having a kid was what the movie wanted to tell, thats the story the game wanted to tell. For the movie it was much more important the choice of Bianca or Nera and not because one is more impotant than the other, but becuase it was a literal big choice in that game for someone that played it originally, even if he always feels he should choose Bianca as he has a clear hard on for the girl next door trope lol

I think thats why the put more emphasis on the choice scenes and are more important to the movie plot, with Nera becoming a witch to fuck with his subsconcience, and how Bianca acts when she first becomes part of the group until she turns into stone by the bishop, than him having a kid and the kid being the chosen one (nearly 2 whole acts in the game). Another example, when the world dissapears the first thing he does is go after freezed Bianca. Fuck the kid, he is not really that important.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
This movie has more music from DQ6 than DQ5. They changed the story for "reasons" (not all of which can be attributed to the twist), and it's just really poorly plotted. They devote half of the movie's runtime to part of the story that takes 20 minutes and literally gloss over the entire introduction. I really don't like this, and it has little to do with the controversial twist which is whatever.

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
I've played through the SNES game two or three times, this movie has inspired me to play the DS one now!

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
This movie has more music from DQ6 than DQ5. They changed the story for "reasons" (not all of which can be attributed to the twist), and it's just really poorly plotted. They devote half of the movie's runtime to part of the story that takes 20 minutes and literally gloss over the entire introduction. I really don't like this, and it has little to do with the controversial twist which is whatever.
That sucks. Was gonna check this out tonight, but now I'm in no hurry. :(

Prof Bathtub

Apr 26, 2018
Yeah, I do think Prince Henry's character development should have been more faithful to the game, since Maria isn't even in it and he wasn't really humbled all that much.

It is interesting that Parker Simmons got the part of Pankraz in the dub, since he certainly puts a lot of DQ influence into his Mao Mao cartoon. Because he has an in with NYAV post, I wonder if he'll try to get into one of their Gundam dubs sooner or later, since there are just as many references to that in his show, heh.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I've seen this movie twice now and I'm still not a fan of that ending, but I can see the aspects of it touching notes to specific people in the west like I'm seeing right now.

Japanese audience went in expecting a DQ game adapted into a movie but then it turned into a pseudo-isekai video game movie, while the western audience (at least right now) already know about that twist, watch the movie in the context of it being a video game, and interpret it as a positive metaphor for being a DQ fan. It's all about expectations, and loving this movie depends on how much you like a movie subverting your expectations for better or worse.

Last edited:

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished it with my two sons

Fucking LOOOVED IT!

Yes, even with the twist which felt very Ralph Breaks the Internet (^______^)

Also, mad respect for Netflix presumably fronting the bill for a quality English dub!

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
Japanese audience went in expecting a DQ game adapted into a movie but then it turned into a pseudo-isekai video game movie, while the western audience (at least right now) already know about that twist, watch the movie in the context of it being a video game, and interpret it as a positive metaphor for being a DQ fan. It's all about expectations, and loving this movie depends on how much you like a movie subverting your expectations for better or worse.

I actually never got spoiled on the twist and still found it charming as hell

Erikun

Jun 20, 2018
Man, why isn't this on Netflix in Japan!? It's so annoying! They either always have it available everywhere except here, or they have it and they don't have the subtitles or dub that Netflix made themselves.

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what the distribution deal with the Lupin movie will be. It will probably be better received by that series' respective western fans, and maybe even beyond, considering the attention it's trailers got (even if a lot of it was thirsting over CG Jigen.)
I'm hoping it will get a limited theatrical run like a lot anime movie do.

From the way people describe this movie it seems like it uses 5's trappings to tell its own story rather than setting out to be an adaption of 5. Is that a fair assessment?

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Watched it today, and... it was overall a really poor movie. The art and animation are fucking fantastic and it's amazing to see the world like that. Definitely worth it for DQV lovers. But I can't help but think if you didn't play DQV it'd be an utter mess. It jumps around like crazy and barely develops anyone because of trying to cover such a lengthy game in such a haphazard way. Then the twist actually turned out to feel worse than what I had even imagined somehow. It just came off incredibly corny and out of nowhere, like "HEY GUYS DRAGON QUEST V WAS SO AWESOME AM I RIGHT!?" Yeah, that's why I'm watching a movie about it.....

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
From the way people describe this movie it seems like it uses 5's trappings to tell its own story rather than setting out to be an adaption of 5. Is that a fair assessment?

This is a big problem with movies associated with Square Enix. Although a somewhat different case due to being in-house, Advent Children and Kingsglaive also have the big issue of practically requiring major familiarity with their source, FFVII and FFXV respectively, to not end up feeling incomplete.

Watching kingsglaive recently, the parts with Ravus look super out of place and unexplained, considering the only scenes you see are him as a kid when his home country is taken over, him as a general (somehow?) of the invading force enforcing his sister's prisoner status, and him putting a magic ring on, which leads to him getting his arm burned off. The last one is especially bizarre, as it comes out of nowhere and totally knocks him out of the movie without any exit strategy shown for him, or reason to believe he survives.

It all feels like super supplemental stuff that has no place being in the movie, especially with how unexplained the parts of it are, and considering how unnecessary and shoehorned into the plot it feels.

I mean, I guess it serves to tell you what happens with the ring for later, but it feels super lame to merc him like that for that purpose. It's like, "look at this guy, he potentially has a neat narritive arc, oops he's dead."

I can only hope that this curse can be broken, and they can better develop movies that actually stand on their own, and leave the follow-ups and Easter eggs in with better care, so that they actually feel like a part of the movie or potential sequel hooks, and not something that totally comes out of nowhere.

Oct 25, 2017
It probably helps that I love DQV and that I knew the twist, but I actually loved the movie and I am shocked to say this considering how I expected it to be awful.