• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
Question: Am I spoiling myself of the DQV story if I watch this? Ive been hunting that game for over a year and I wouldnt want to spoil myself of the story, since ive read mentioned pretty much everywhere about how the story of V is one of the best

Dola

Banned
Nov 1, 2018
So that twist at the end wasn't that bad. It actually made the whole crappy and rushed story makes sense.

Mugman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Dear god please get back in here once you do. I'll level - I can understand the passionate crowd who would think that it defiles the legacy of the series. When it begins to twist, you worry. But maybe it was starring at the protaganist, his "plight", that spoke to me. Boy oh boy did it swing close to home.

I'll forever defend this movie. If it means being the lone voice in a sea of hate - so be it.

Ended up waiting for the weekend because my girlfriend wanted to watch it too, and yeah we really loved it. I honestly really liked the twist too. The breakneck pacing was a much bigger issue to me, as well as
there not being a daughter
but I understand why they did it that way. Between this and Sonic, this was a pretty great weekend for video game movies, lol.

Question: Am I spoiling myself of the DQV story if I watch this? Ive been hunting that game for over a year and I wouldnt want to spoil myself of the story, since ive read mentioned pretty much everywhere about how the story of V is one of the best

Yes, it goes through pretty much every major plot beat from the game. I would def recommend waiting until you play the game to watch, for a couple of reasons.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
Ended up waiting for the weekend because my girlfriend wanted to watch it too, and yeah we really loved it. I honestly really liked the twist too. The breakneck pacing was a much bigger issue to me, as well as
there not being a daughter
but I understand why they did it that way. Between this and Sonic, this was a pretty great weekend for video game movies, lol.

Yes, it goes through pretty much every major plot beat from the game. I would def recommend waiting until you play the game to watch, for a couple of reasons.
Thanks for the reply!

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
It's kind of ok as a movie, but the ending really elevated it above mediocre. Nice movie, great to see if you don't expect much from it.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
It's kind of ok as a movie, but the ending really elevated it above mediocre. Nice movie, great to see if you don't expect much from it.
Yeah people are saying how the movie would be SOOO much better if it was just straight adapted but I really think it wouldn't have been much of an improvement to how much they had to speed through it. For better or worse the twist really makes it stand out.

So speaking of the twist, I figured someone's going to ask sooner or later. It's cheeky but I'm genuinely curious...

Do you suppose Luca got to experience having sex with Bianca or does the software just sort of implant the suggestion that he got her pregnant? I mean we already know the software manipulated the sense of time to make two hours stretch out into years. I mean yeah VR Sex and all, but it's kinda freaky to imagine how that works. Maybe in a week or so I'll make a thread about what games one could get the same treatment.

Oleander

Oct 25, 2017
Never played Dragon Quest V, but I've played plenty of the others, and went in with trepidation after the negative reaction it had received. I decided to watch it anyway just for the series references.

While not a movie to acclaim from an analytical perspective...I loved it! Especially the ending, which I was near rolling in my seat, laughing with it. The film engaged me the whole way through, I never got bored, and I had a lot of amusement along the way. I've spent worse hours on Netflix, so with that minimal cost of entry, I can't say I regret the time.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Never played Dragon Quest V, but I've played plenty of the others, and went in with trepidation after the negative reaction it had received. I decided to watch it anyway just for the series references.

While not a movie to acclaim from an analytical perspective...I loved it! Especially the ending, which I was near rolling in my seat, laughing with it. The film engaged me the whole way through, I never got bored, and I had a lot of amusement along the way. I've spent worse hours on Netflix, so with that minimal cost of entry, I can't say I regret the time.
Best review yet. Thanks! I feel similar going in and now am excited 😊.

Samanyolu

Apr 27, 2019
The movie wasn't even that bad, imo. May have skipped a few parts too quickly though. I expected a monstrosity, but it was ok.. until the end twist that is.

The funny thing is, I've always been saying that if they would make a movie of Dragon Quest, it should be of part 5! The story always gave me goosebumps, it was great!

By the way, I've said so before on these forums, but Dragon Quest V really is one of my favorite games ever. If you haven't played it yet, then get to it!!

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
Watched it, and I really loved it. My only criticism is its breakneck pace (the only time the movie allows itself to breath is in the Mostroferrato part, which is the film's high point) and the twist - while I liked it - could have had more set-up.

Regarding the twist:

I tend to enjoy works of fiction that understand that they are, well, fiction. A lot of people say it takes away from the experience, but the LEGO Movie, Life of Pi and Dragon Quest Your Story use it to make a point about how: "Yes, this is fiction, but that doesn't mean it isn't REAL." It's a bit like the "it was all a dream" endings: why yes, it means the story wasn't real, but then again it never was - and it always was - at the same time.

Tiggleton

Banned
Apr 25, 2019
Its a real shame DQV is not available to play on modern platforms outside of mobile. I want to watch this but haven't played the game

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Yeah people are saying how the movie would be SOOO much better if it was just straight adapted but I really think it wouldn't have been much of an improvement to how much they had to speed through it. For better or worse the twist really makes it stand out.

So speaking of the twist, I figured someone's going to ask sooner or later. It's cheeky but I'm genuinely curious...

Do you suppose Luca got to experience having sex with Bianca or does the software just sort of implant the suggestion that he got her pregnant? I mean we already know the software manipulated the sense of time to make two hours stretch out into years. I mean yeah VR Sex and all, but it's kinda freaky to imagine how that works. Maybe in a week or so I'll make a thread about what games one could get the same treatment.

I think it's a given that they didn't. First the fact that the program used timeskips to convey years of the journey into a few hours, which included timeskips. So I think what we saw in the movie was all that he experienced.

Second, it's dragon quest, the most he could've experienced was puff puff, lbr.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017

Haha I just took it as its a full VR experience. Which is why when he realizes its a VR game again from the virus it takes him a minute to realize that he is playing a VR. Not just in the pervy "huh huh sex" stuff but its much cooler to imagine that the VR is so good, that you can live a whole other life in it, so much so that someone intruding on it your first reaction is "what the hell, no this is my reality?" before you come back to the truth of things

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
I'm not sure I like this movie. The visuals are absolutely insanely good though and they got the VA for Hinata in it so I very very much enjoy those parts

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
Haha I just took it as its a full VR experience. Which is why when he realizes its a VR game again from the virus it takes him a minute to realize that he is playing a VR. Not just in the pervy "huh huh sex" stuff but its much cooler to imagine that the VR is so good, that you can live a whole other life in it, so much so that someone intruding on it your first reaction is "what the hell, no this is my reality?" before you come back to the truth of things
You know, at first I was going to say, "Nah, it's more like some kind of Matrix deal." But then I thought about it and realized you're on to something. The gameplay we see could be what he's playing while he's conscious while the software might be loading and synchronizing with his brain and then when the animation starts that could be him falling into a lucid dreaming state. Like you said it becomes very much immersed and real to him. That would also explain why there would be certain things missing too) If the virus hadn't interrupted it'd be like waking up from a very life like dream

At least that's what I'm going with.

Last edited:

lemonade

May 8, 2018
At first I thought the movie was nonsensical with awful pacing and just jumping from storypoint to storypoint.

However, the ending completely redeemed the movie and everything makes more sense now.

Loved the experience.

Kyuur

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Watched with a group that has never played a DQ game (including me) and we all enjoyed the crap out of it. My wife called the twist during the "love potion" sequence to our amazement.

The movie was fucking beautiful. I hope one day actual games could reach that level of fidelity.

Ze_Shoopuf

Jun 12, 2018
Watched with another friend - we've played all the DQ games - and we loved it.
The animation quality is really top notch, and we loved the classic music!

I would totally buy the Blu-ray, so we can always watch it (we don't like how Netflix shows can just get zapped from availability on a whim).

jiggle

Dec 23, 2017
Loved loved loved the visuals
Story was nice as a dqv fan
Didn't love or hate the new twist
Playing builders series kinda built that into my expectations I guess
Not a fan they cut out the
daughter

Too bad couldn't mute Shitgiyama's awful parts

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
One thing I was just thinking of now, and that as I was watching stood out like a sore thumb and so in and of it self is SO modern dragon quest.

Is how the music is just kind of slapped in there. On one level for nostalgia sake and seeing the songs cinematically it makes sense, but on every other level it was quiet jarring how it's just thrown in there, not remixed, not changed up to fit the scene just the literal songs.

Reminds me of playing Dragon Quest 11 where its like "here you go! some dragon quest music eat it up"

I hope one day there series uses new and original music, new arrangements etc in a thoughtful way opposed to cut and paste.

Gloam

Oct 29, 2017
One thing I was just thinking of now, and that as I was watching stood out like a sore thumb and so in and of it self is SO modern dragon quest.

Is how the music is just kind of slapped in there. On one level for nostalgia sake and seeing the songs cinematically it makes sense, but on every other level it was quiet jarring how it's just thrown in there, not remixed, not changed up to fit the scene just the literal songs.

Reminds me of playing Dragon Quest 11 where its like "here you go! some dragon quest music eat it up"

I hope one day there series uses new and original music, new arrangements etc in a thoughtful way opposed to cut and paste.

Yes, it definitely doesn't feel like a film score. There were a few moments with jingles for party members and secrets that made me smile, but overall, the use of music was very poor.

Mozendo

Oct 25, 2017
Pacific North West
I thought it was a cute movie.
Wish the music was different, it didn't seem to match the scenes that well.
I really wish they included Debora and the daughter
Also I thought I would hate the plot twist, but seeing the motive behind it I didn't really care and thought it was nice.
Talking slime was great

Akelisrain

Oct 30, 2017
Bel Air MD
So, I just finished watching the film. I will start buying saying, I only ever played DQ11 and finished it. I really enjoyed the film for what it was. I can tell things felt fast paced, however I still enjoyed it. Up until the point in the movie, now I am just pissed off. What a total dumb thing to do, like why?

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I've never bothered with the series since story isn't really a strongpoint from what I've read about it.

I liked the nnk movie without having played any of the gamesso I guess I'll have to see this one too.

Junior

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
DQ5 was the first DQ game I ever played and I was pleasantly surprised since I went in completely blind with low expectations for this franchise. In terms of story it's still easily my favorite DQ game. I'm thinking about watching this movie.

chairhome

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando
As someone who has played and beaten every DQ (minus X), I thoroughly enjoyed it. I watched it with my kids who have beaten DQB2 and they really liked it, too. My son is interested in playing DQV now. It did seem rushed, but I loved how they handled the action, and we enjoyed the dub. Great family movie.

Regarding the spoiler
it wasn't as terrible as people were making it seem, at least to me. My kids actually enjoyed the twist. My son said they should make an actual VR game like it (i told him about the one that they do have). It was a way for fans of the series to have their feelings about video games validated.

Thordawgg

Nov 5, 2017
Never played Dragon Quest game for any meaningful length, I watched with my daughter and enjoyed the movie mostly despite the breakneck pace and the weird twist (don't mind the concept but the execution was pretty lame imo)

Was a fun watch as an uninvested audience

Oct 27, 2017
Henderson, NV
Having never played a DQ game, but always loving the classic orchestrated music and the old cartoon, this movie was freaking amazing. I have NO clue why there'd be hate for it but it was surprisingly well done and heartfelt. The directing was incredible, but overall the 'twist' will get you in the feels. Great movie. What a surprise.

EDIT - had to put some more thought into why I enjoyed this. Were this a full series that was traditionally paced, I'd have been too attached to characters for the twist ending to have the proper impact. Honestly, the twist would've pissed me off. I can only imagine the horror of becoming attached to everyone after such a prolonged period, only to be served that 'twist'.

Rather, the breathless pacing felt like an RPG mixtape. If you're a lifelong gamer and even casually know about DQ, it captures the best bits of JRPGs and what I assume is DQ's quirky style, touches it all up with exceptional animation, and hits all of the nostalgia buttons - even if you've never played DQ. That's me. I hadn't even played many JRPGs in my years, but the movie samples all of the best bits of what many of us emotionally connect to in gaming. It's a blockbuster speed that evokes passages of time, at least in one's mind, giving the taste of depth without the commitment of a series.

I certainly enjoyed it. It's earned nostalgia.

Last edited:

Trejo

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda surprising to see so many people here defending that twist. It's awful. Legit awful. Almost approaching "it was all a dream!" kind of awful, which for most intents and purposes is exactly what this is. I don't know how much it affected my viewing that I already knew going in that there was gonna be a controversial twist ending but I certainly didn't expect something as unbelievably lame as what I got. Just truly, truly awful. It really did bring the whole thing down several notches for me.

Also was it just me or did Bianca look like a straight up carbon copy of the girl from How to train your dragon?

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
The ending was the least of the movie's problems - the absolutely jarring pacing (which condenses the first like eight hours of the game into a minute and a half of literal game footage) and music just being samples of existing work Sugiyama has done really made it feel cheap in a way that the visuals didn't deserve.

Overall I enjoyed it when it was doing its own thing - it should have deviated from the source material more. As it stands, it half-placates fans with nostalgia while also annoying them with pointless inconsistencies.

Faiyaz

Nov 30, 2017
Bangladesh
I've never bothered with the series since story isn't really a strongpoint from what I've read about it.

I liked the nnk movie without having played any of the gamesso I guess I'll have to see this one too.

I think you've read the wrong things about this series. The writing, characters are super charming and the stories are consistently good despite being fairly simple.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
Kinda surprising to see so many people here defending that twist. It's awful. Legit awful. Almost approaching "it was all a dream!" kind of awful, which for most intents and purposes is exactly what this is.
I mean, the whole point is that even if something is fictitious, it can still leave you feeling things. Indeed, dreams can make you feel things, games can make you feel things and fiction in general can make you feel things despite you knowing that all three aren't real. It's a really straightforward message!

Trejo

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, the whole point is that even if something is fictitious, it can still leave you feeling things. Indeed, dreams can make you feel things, games can make you feel things and fiction in general can make you feel things despite you knowing that all three aren't real. It's a really straightforward message!
No see, I get that. I totally get that that was what the director attempted to go for but no, just... no. It doesn't work. Chalk it up to my jaded, cynical adult brain if you want but to me it just comes across as a lame nostalgia grab for the sake of being a lame nostalgia grab and makes all the preceding film suffer as a result. Someone more talented could've maybe made it work, but not here. Not for me, at least. It just comes off as a really stupid, really unnecessary twist in the end.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
Kinda surprising to see so many people here defending that twist. It's awful. Legit awful. Almost approaching "it was all a dream!" kind of awful, which for most intents and purposes is exactly what this is. I don't know how much it affected my viewing that I already knew going in that there was gonna be a controversial twist ending but I certainly didn't expect something as unbelievably lame as what I got. Just truly, truly awful. It really did bring the whole thing down several notches for me.

Also was it just me or did Bianca look like a straight up carbon copy of the girl from How to train your dragon?
No see, I get that. I totally get that that was what the director attempted to go for but no, just... no. It doesn't work. Chalk it up to my jaded, cynical adult brain if you want but to me it just comes across as a lame nostalgia grab for the sake of being a lame nostalgia grab and makes all the preceding film suffer as a result. Someone more talented could've maybe made it work, but not here. Not for me, at least. It just comes off as a really stupid, really unnecessary twist in the end.

You know, when people were talking about the twist originally, I got the hint it was some kind of " It's just a game" or the guy rage quit during the final battle or something. THAT would've been genuinely awful imo.

I think you hit the nail on the head. If you're bitter and cynical of course you'll hate it but I think people outside of Japan are more sentimental so they "get" the ending and what they were trying to do.

Trejo

Oct 25, 2017
You know, when people were talking about the twist originally, I got the hint it was some kind of " It's just a game" or the guy rage quit during the final battle or something. THAT would've been genuinely awful imo.

I think you hit the nail on the head. If you're bitter and cynical of course you'll hate it but I think people outside of Japan are more sentimental so they "get" the ending and what they were trying to do.
I mean, I suppose it would've also been genius if at the end of Avengers Endgame Tony Stark suddenly told everyone to shut up and stop what they're doing so he could break into a soliloquy aimed directly at the audience about how comic book characters are the modern day equivalent of mythological deities of yesteryear and are meant to be role models that we're meant to look up to to define our morality regardless of age, race, etc. and how the real treasure are the friends we made along the way or something. And it's also revealed that it turns out the whole time it was just some dude reading some VR comic books at his local convention.

Last edited:

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017

No, no.

Straight up, what people annoyed or disappointed by the ending wanted was a more faithful adaptation of Dragon Quest V. Not something that tries to be cute in the worst goddamn way. What they were trying to do is immaterial, because for the film's target audience (Dragon Quest V fans), it's a stupid, awful twist that wants so very much to reach for nostalgia, and instead tries to override the characters and story of the game (which is one of Dragon Quest's stronger narratives) with some dipshit playing pretend in VR.

It's like the writer played Star Ocean 3 and somehow got inspired enough by that game's awful twist to out-stupid it.

Daouzin

Oct 28, 2017
Arizona
No, no.

Straight up, what people annoyed or disappointed by the ending wanted was a more faithful adaptation of Dragon Quest V. Not something that tries to be cute in the worst goddamn way. What they were trying to do is immaterial, because for the film's target audience (Dragon Quest V fans), it's a stupid, awful twist that wants so very much to reach for nostalgia, and instead tries to override the characters and story of the game (which is one of Dragon Quest's stronger narratives) with some dipshit playing pretend in VR.

It's like the writer played Star Ocean 3 and somehow got inspired enough by that game's awful twist to out-stupid it.

I think this is an awful take.

I think the game's narrative is unaffected by this. Children can watch the movie and be like, that was weird and the adults in the room can remember there first time playing a DQ game and what that experience was like. It's a win win.

Even outside of Smash I can't agree with any of your opinions.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I think this is an awful take.

I think the game's narrative is unaffected by this. Children can watch the movie and be like, that was weird and the adults in the room can remember there first time playing a DQ game and what that experience was like. It's a win win.

Even outside of Smash I can't agree with any of your opinions.
Upending the conclusion of Dragon Quest V with "lol it's a game" isn't win-win.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
I mean, I suppose it would've also been genius if at the end of Avengers Endgame Tony Stark suddenly told everyone to shut up and stop what they're doing so he could break into a soliloquy aimed directly at the audience about how comic book characters are the modern day equivalent of mythological deities of yesteryear and are meant to be role models that we're meant to look up to to define our morality regardless of age, race, etc. and how the real treasure are the friends we made along the way or something. And it's also revealed that it turns out the whole time it was just some dude reading some VR comic books at his local convention.
Nah, that'd be awful because you're basically saying ALL those movies are null and void. A 2 hour DQV adaptation doesn't even come close to comparing to that.

Upending the conclusion of Dragon Quest V with "lol it's a game" isn't win-win.
I swear I just can't wrap my mind around this whole "the movie just bitch slapped me with this meta ending so now I'm mad" train.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nah, that'd be awful because you're basically saying ALL those movies are null and void. A 2 hour DQV adaptation doesn't even come close to comparing to that.

I swear I just can't wrap my mind around this whole "the movie just bitch slapped me with this meta ending so now I'm mad" train.
People don't like having the story they were told invalidated. No big shock. It's the reason "it was all a dream" endings are hated so much.