Status
Not open for further replies.

Rosur

Oct 28, 2017
played just over an 1hr of the demo, enjoyed it but had to turn to Japanese voices, as the English voice acting just annoyed me every time you finished a battle or speak in battle.

Will be getting the full version based on what I've played so far though.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Aaah, so much game over with the Draconian mods, you just need to encounter 3 monsters, get shypox and then byebye your progress.
Just got Erik at almost 4 hours in so it's a little bit better but won't prevent monsters ganging up on the MC.

The Doctor

Jan 17, 2018
Kind of a silly question:
A lot of people are saying the demo is 10 hour long, does this mean that after exactly 10 hours of playtime the demo ends? Or is it just that all the content will last roughly 10 hours to be completed?

Aarglefarg

Oct 27, 2017
It looks good with close-ups/small areas, a testament to the visual design.
A lot of people are saying the demo is 10 hour long, does this mean that after exactly 10 hours of playtime the demo ends? Or is it just that all the content will last roughly 10 hours to be completed?
It ends at a particular point:
When Serena and Veronica join your party.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA

You're basically playing the full game up until a very specific point in the storyline. It's not that it's got a strict 10-hour-total time limit. :) So what they mean to say is, getting thru all of the content should estimate at around 10 hours. You could play well beyond 10 hours if you wanted, and this is one of the most robust demos I've ever seen (and still barely scratches the surface of DQXI due to how big the game is).

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
Okay wow I am not one to be turn off by lower resolution games but this is too much for me. I stopped playing the pc version when this was announced but I can't do it.

The game looks so good in higher resolutions because of its clean look. This game is just a mess. They should have dropped some effects or something. Fire emblem looks clean this does not.

SuperSah

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Okay wow I am not one to be turn off by lower resolution games but this is too much for me. I stopped playing the pc version when this was announced but I can't do it.

The game looks so good in higher resolutions because of its clean look. This game is just a mess. They should have dropped some effects or something. Fire emblem looks clean this does not.

I'm truly confused by this thread.

The IQ is great...

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
Aaah, so much game over with the Draconian mods, you just need to encounter 3 monsters, get shypox and then byebye your progress.
Just got Erik at almost 4 hours in so it's a little bit better but won't prevent monsters ganging up on the MC.

I only ever run Harder Monsters to make the difficulty exciting, it's crazy how much tougher some fights get with the way the stats scale!

I REALLY love the new one where NPC's occasionally lie to you, it's an absolute Riot!!!

When I pick this up eventually, I think I'm going to do a double play through. One with just Hard Monsters and Townsfolk Lies, and the other with ALLLLLL OF THEM, so I can see how much of the game you can beat using personal experience and hard work when everything is working against you.

I love how Shypox kicks in when you try talking to people sometimes, it's adorable. I'm sorry for anyone who has that happen to them in real life.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
So, I was not feeling this when I played this handheld at home last night.

When I played it on the bus this morning it was actually fine...

I guess it's the fact that my face is not right on the screen when I'm on a bus, the bus is moving instead of me laying stationary in bed, and there's a lot more ambient light around? Idk...

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Beat the demo with about 8 hours. First hour or so was me getting used to the slight blur on the graphics, but after awhile I got used to it. Wish it was slightly prettier. Wish the demo also had the 2D version in it, would want to try that out but I'm clearly already in. I was always gonna get DQ11 but I was just waiting for it to be portable and this is that.

I went greatsword hero, and the last one you can get comes with a sheath so finally I can have my ugly swords covered up in public.

krg

Oct 27, 2017

Fire Emblem was exclusively made for the Switch, Dragon Quest was not.

Oct 25, 2017
Fire Emblem's visuals are so basic in comparison, so the head room for native res was much greater.

I don't know. Character portraits and some of the character models are so tremendously more expressive than anything that appears in DQXI. There's a ton of absolutely fantastic stuff (like great character portraits with expressions for 40-50 characters) in FE that gets overshadowed by the bad, but overall FE is the larger, more varied game with some great artwork for the central cast that is several times the size of DQ's.

I think there is a lot of great stuff in DQXI, but it gets totally overshadowed by the fact that

going through much of the areas three times, normal, red, and green versions and seeing all but a single town of the game in its first third.

DQXI would have been the absolute best game in the series if it were a 40 hour game, but the next 30~40 could have been massively compressed.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3894

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The IQ is great...
It's not great, resolution is very low, more noticeable after playing the PC version at native res. It's a good port for portable tech from 2015, but instead of porting the PS4/PC version I wish they had remastered the 3DS game, something like what Capcom did with MHGU (but better). It would have looked very good in 1080p/60fps.

iu

Oct 25, 2017
81qpoXx3w8L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

large.jpg

versus

dragon-quest-xi-nintendo-switch.jpg

NSwitch_DragonQuestXI_02.jpg

DQXIS runs circles around FE visually, bar the resolution.

Parts of DQXI looks great, particularly the open-world. It also blows almost its entire budget in the first 40%, and generally has massively below par portraits and general character expressiveness. Now do a comparison of the 80+ character portraits with expressions vs. what DQXI has. You're just shamelessly cherry-picking the parts that XI looks great in. The visuals aren't nearly as flattering if you pick areas like the jungle, or areas from Act 2 in general.

I'm not defending Fire Emblems aliasing. But goddamnit I am defending the S-tier character portraits that go above-and-beyond virtually any other release of the last five years. That it has a larger main cast than 95% of RPGs, and that it has variable expressions, and that is has a time-skip that actually visually changes their appearance is wildly more ambitious than most RPGs, and totally pulls it off.

It's not great, resolution is very low, more noticeable after playing the PC version at native res. It's a good port for portable tech from 2015, but instead of porting the PS4/PC version I wish they had remastered the 3DS game, something like what Capcom did with MHGU (but better). It would have looked very good in 1080p/60fps.

iu

People want big vistas and scenes to remember than they want higher framerates and resolutions.

Last edited:

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017

The IQ is great...

You must have low standards if this IQ is great to you. It's clearly sub resolution with huge aliasing issues. That said aliasing is an issue all platforms, and given the hardware this looks pretty good. The IQ isn't close to being great either way.

SuperSah

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You

You must have low standards if this IQ is great to you. It's clearly sub resolution with huge aliasing issues. That said aliasing is an issue all platforms, and given the hardware this looks pretty good. The IQ isn't close to being great either way.

Being sub native doesn't mean it can't look good

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Isn't the PS4 version 900p? How is 720p on Switch a big deal? Outdoor areas do look soft in handheld mode (indoor is still beautiful; maybe a dynamic scaling trick), but...it's on a fucking 6-inch handheld, not a VCR-sized console.

Ya'll wilding trying to say Fire Emblem looks better. I love Fire Emblem and I appreciate its crisp resolution, but it's nowhere near as impressive looking as Dragon Quest on Switch.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Playing on a big TV, yeah, it's pretty rough... but handheld I'm kinda floored by how nice it looks. Granted, I don't have the best eyes (FE's text is almost unreadable to me handheld... WHY CAN'T I CHANGE ITS SIZE?!?! (sorry)), but I think this port really shines on the small screen.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
The orchestra music has made this into a completely different game for me. The surround sound is also fabulous. Shame it's not the best looking version to match, but it's certainly not terrible in that regard.
You'd need the PC version for both of those, but with all the content and QoL stuff they've added here, I'd definitely pick the Switch version over the PC version at this point.
I know the save is carried over, but... getting a physical copy wouldn't nullify the save right?
A switch save is a switch save. The same save works for digital and retail.

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't the PS4 version 900p? How is 720p on Switch a big deal? Outdoor areas do look soft in handheld mode (indoor is still beautiful; maybe a dynamic scaling trick), but...it's on a fucking 6-inch handheld, not a VCR-sized console.

Ya'll wilding trying to say Fire Emblem looks better. I love Fire Emblem and I appreciate its crisp resolution, but it's nowhere near as impressive looking as Dragon Quest on Switch.

The highlights, IMO, of DQXI are the fantastic monster designs, that have very soft shading that works well regardless of the resolution.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Being sub native doesn't mean it can't look good

People aren't saying it looks bad, they're saying the IQ is bad which is referring to how sharp the game looks and the aliasing. The character models have clear aliasing and grass shimmering is terrible. The entire image is has a soft sheen to it because it's sub resolution. This is clear for everyone to see. It doesn't mean the overall end result is bad looking but the IQ specifically isn't good which is typically the issue for every Switch port.

The highlights, IMO, of DQXI are the fantastic monster designs, that have very soft shading that works well regardless of the resolution.

The highlight For me is the whimsical monster animations which you need to run at 60fps for them to truly shine.

Last edited:

Aarglefarg

Oct 27, 2017

iu
If it had all three modes it would have been the dream scenario for me, but it having 2D mode is the next best thing.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
The IQ is super vaseliney but I'll take softer visuals if I get softer music and, you know...all the extra content. Doesn't look as rough as Xenoblade 2, at least!

EndingE

Nov 8, 2017
I have a 50+ hour save on the PS4 version and am considering just dropping it for this. The extra content and especially the orchestral score make a world of difference, IMO

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Game looks fantastic in handheld mode, not nearly as impressed on my 4k TV. I did play the PC version on the same 4k TV so that's probably why and the grass shimmering/aliasing is much more noticeable on a large screen. I wish the 2D portion was enabled since the beginning content seems identical so far. Was the automatic dialogue/button press in the original game? I wish I had known.

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Game looks fantastic in handheld mode, not nearly as impressed on my 4k TV. I did play the PC version on the same 4k TV so that's probably why and the grass shimmering/aliasing is much more noticeable on a large screen. I wish the 2D portion was enabled since the beginning content seems identical so far. Was the automatic dialogue/button press in the original game, I wish I had known.
No, I'm certain that the auto dialogue is a new feature.

I've played through the game on PC as well, so I'm wondering what I should do with this. Not sure about getting it on release day but I'm interested in the 2D version and new solo character story content. It looks pretty good on the handheld, haven't tried it docked yet.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Almost 6 hours in and I'm before repairing the bridge but the fight is giving me too much trouble, guess I'll have to grind as much as I can despite all Draconian mods activated.
Also I thought you could at least equip shields but nope, should have out skill points on greatswords instead.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Image is a little shimmery, but thank god it's not an awful postprocessed mess like Xenoblade 2. And it seems to run a lot smoother than, say, Fire Emblem. Overall I'm pretty happy with the IQ... it's not perfect, but it's better than I expected. I'd even go so far as to say it's quite impressive, given the hardware... I've seen way simpler UE4 games look lower res on Switch.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
LOL the game just crashed on me. I've had the console since launch and very few times I've seen a game crash. Hope it was just a one time thing.

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017
Question, can you skip giving Eleven a name? Or do you have to write it yourself no matter what(which is what I ended up doing)?

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
5.5 hours in, stopped at the Emerald Coast camp

this demo is so meaty, Luffy would have tried to eat the switch

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
"10 hour demo"

I feel cheated, it only took me 5 hours to reach the end. Still, I had no interest in this game before and now I want to buy it. So... good work, I guess? I didn't even particularly rush, I went and did some grinding and looked around for all of the Shiny Spots.

Oscarzx n

May 24, 2018
Santiago, Chile

iu
Not sure most people would have been happy if that was the case, and the Switch also would have been a laughing stock.

The Doctor

Jan 17, 2018
You're basically playing the full game up until a very specific point in the storyline. It's not that it's got a strict 10-hour-total time limit. :) So what they mean to say is, getting thru all of the content should estimate at around 10 hours. You could play well beyond 10 hours if you wanted, and this is one of the most robust demos I've ever seen (and still barely scratches the surface of DQXI due to how big the game is).
It looks good with close-ups/small areas, a testament to the visual design.

It ends at a particular point:
When Serena and Veronica join your party.
Got it! Thanks! I'm playing it right now and it's really outstanding

Status
Not open for further replies.