• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
I have the PC version, but I think the Switch demo has convinced me. It still looks quite good and performance seems nearly flawless thus far (Heliodor is slightly sub 30fps but it's not incredibly jarring). The visual downgrade is not nearly as bad as I expected.

Is there any reason for me to buy it before completing the demo? Assuming I won't be playing 2D mode on my first play through.

Rynam

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Is there any reason for me to buy it before completing the demo? Assuming I won't be playing 2D mode on my first play through.

Only if you want to use the DQ8 music, or the synthesized instead of orchestral music. These are the only things in addition to 2D mode missing from the demo afair.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Man I know it's only been a month but going back to it now makes me realize how much I missed playing this ;;

Also Erik's DLC outfit is so edgy lol

Letsfly

Feb 12, 2019
I guess I'll have to disable stronger monsters. After three tries I couldn't defeat the Celestial Sands's boss. My party is around level 15, I'm fully equipped and trying to use all my spells and abilities as well.

Maybe I'm expected to grind some levels?

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
I am just floored at the quality of this port. Yeah, it's not native res, but they did an astounding job. This feels really good and still looks great. Hard to believe this is running in the Switch.

IamPeacock

Feb 9, 2018
Belgium
Era who played PS4/PC version and now Switch, do you believe the Switch is the definitive version?
I own both a PC and Switch and don't know on which platform to get it.

Playing on the go and 2D mode sounds great, but I don't know how many technical compromises are made.

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
Played some DQ games on the Gameboy back in the day, but haven't touched the series since. Played a bit of the demo but haven't really had the time to delve deep. I'll definitely be getting this at some point though. Both modes look amazing so it'll be tough deciding how to play it for the first time, I'll probably be switching back and forth.

Deleted member 40102

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
I am just floored at the quality of this port. Yeah, it's not native res, but they did an astounding job. This feels really good and still looks great. Hard to believe this is running in the Switch.
For sure best looking game on switch fo far.

Tho kinda sad that OT of this game on switch kinda dead.

Feeroper

Oct 25, 2017
Era who played PS4/PC version and now Switch, do you believe the Switch is the definitive version?

Playing on the go and 2D mode sounds great, but I don't know how many technical compromises are made.

This is absolutely the definitive version of the game. The technical compromises are minor as far as I am concerned (YMMV) and the added elements from content to QoL changes makes this hands down the best version. However - if you are unsure if the technical compromises will be a barrier for you, there is a substantial demo available in the eshop so check it out! If you do decide you want this version you can port that save over to the full game.

Kaga

Nov 3, 2017
DeKalb, IL
Finished the demo 20 minutes ago (took closer to 8.5 hours than 10). Five minutes ago, Amazon delivered my copy. Good timing.

AlanOC91

Owner of YGOPRODeck.com
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Sorry if it's been asked but do I have to have the demo fully completed before being allowed to import?

V0ltg

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How was I supposed to get the 2 chests in the locked cell down the Heliodor dungeons?

jrpl

Nov 20, 2017
Tips for Dracionian mode? Finished the game on PS4 but didn't take take any of the options. Took everything this time around on the Switch but Armor & Less exp one.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
As someone who played about the first 10 hours of the game (on PC), the 2D mode feels very different, beyond just the obvious 3D->2D change - it's really interesting seeing the same story points combined with the far more streamlined gameplay. If it weren't for the really nice 3D graphics, I'd probably just play it in 2D instead. It feels different enough that I could almost see myself playing through it twice.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Finally started the demo on the day the game came out lol.

This game looks fucking fantastic portable. I have no clue what people were talking about in the demo thread about the graphics. At least in handheld, this is an absolute looker. The only negative is the outline makes all the jaggies on the characters pop out. The game would look better without the outlines.

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
Received my copy 30 minutes before I had to go to work. WooHoo I can play on my break, then get home later and play till 3AM in the morning. Great day

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
As someone who played about the first 10 hours of the game (on PC), the 2D mode feels very different, beyond just the obvious 3D->2D change - it's really interesting seeing the same story points combined with the far more streamlined gameplay. If it weren't for the really nice 3D graphics, I'd probably just play it in 2D instead. It feels different enough that I could almost see myself playing through it twice.
Definitely. You get a forced look at the 2D mode, and I was stunned by how good it looks. I had plans to play 3D first and then do a second playthrough in 2D mode, and those plans have been solidified. It helps that I am having an absolute blast with this game so far, meaning that I will very likely be willing to do another playthrough of the game.

Rynam

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Really dont like the Horse Racing, are there any good items locked behind it, and is it maybe easier in 2D mode?

exodus

Oct 25, 2017

I already own the PC version and the demo has convinced me to buy the Switch version. I don't get full 1080p and 140+ fps, but the game still looks damned good on Switch. It feels like far less of a compromise than I expected.

If you don't own any version, the choice is very simple.

Play the demo and decide for yourself.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
How was I supposed to get the 2 chests in the locked cell down the Heliodor dungeons?

If it's anything like past DQ games you can't until you get the necessary key. There are a lot of locked doors you'll see early on that will be openable later on once you get one of the types of keys.

IsaacVarion

Apr 4, 2018
How can i set DQ8 music in the world map? I redeemed all the items of Champions Pack (dq8 outfit included), but i can't find the dq8 music anywhere (yes, i already checked the audio settings). Is it available for the european version?

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
My favorite thing about this finally releasing on the Switch?

More people get to find out why Veronica and Serena are amongst the best characters to ever grace a JRPG.

The entire cast are all a treat mind you. But those two in particular? *chefs kiss*

Kass15

Jan 14, 2018
How can i set DQ8 music in the world map? I redeemed all the items of Champions Pack (dq8 outfit included), but i can't find the dq8 music anywhere (yes, i already checked the audio settings). Is it available for the european version?

Go to misc, then system settings, then claim special rewards. When you claim the trodain set a notification will let you know that the DQ 8 OST is available for non battle music. Go to audio settings and below where you pick symphonic or synthesised it should be there.

Balphon

Oct 25, 2017
The horse race rewards for winning once are meaningful. There's no real need to get the champion time though.

IsaacVarion

Apr 4, 2018
Go to misc, then system settings, then claim special rewards. When you claim the trodain set a notification will let you know that the DQ 8 OST is available for non battle music. Go to audio settings and below where you pick symphonic or synthesised it should be there.
Already done, but sadly no dq music appeared in audio settings. Maybe the European version does not support it?