AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He immediately fucked off in this movie though, after blue waifu wished for Broly be whisked away.
Blue? Don't you mean green?

Speaking of the waifu i audibly cringed when in that scene where she's bent over and they put her ass front and center. It was unnecessary and stupid.

EDIT: also when she stretched her form fitting body armor when showing it off by pulling right where her breasts were. Anime gonna anime I guess.

Shadow-Link

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Saw it yesterday. I really liked the story and how the Saiyans were more fleshed out. The animation was superb, but I felt the fight with Goku went on for too long and followed the exact same pattern, Broly powers up (a lot of screaming! I hated that) > Goku transforms > repeat 3 times.

Don't get me wrong, this movie has some of the best fights in the history of Dragon Ball, but they should have paced it better. Also, Gogeta could have shown more unique techniques a la Gotenks.

In my opinion Vegeta's fight was the best one.

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
Can anyone tell me without spoilers if they did a good job of reimagining Bardock's TV special this time? That recent episode of Bardock was fucking atrocious.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone tell me without spoilers if they did a good job of reimagining Bardock's TV special this time? That recent episode of Bardock was fucking atrocious.
No spoilers: You have no freaking idea how much. This is, in my opinion, the best Dragon Ball movie ever made by far.

EDIT: I'd advice you to stay way from this thread. We're spoiling this film left and right!

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Is it safe to assume Broly went SSJ4 (check out those eyes), and GT's has been retconned?

I took it as confirmation that the traditional SSJ4 design will return this year, likely with Broly attaining the form first. He's just not quite there yet.

It's way worse than the Bardock TV special. Waaaaaaaaaaaay worse. There's barely any focus put on Bardock at all, there's no time to really give him a spotlight.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica

As a character? Yes.
But he has little screentime and they leave quite a bit to imagination, mostly so you can fit the original episode battle in there

After all, this isn't a Bardock movie.
Still it's good to see canon Bardock and his wife finally animated

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
It's way worse than the Bardock TV special. Waaaaaaaaaaaay worse. There's barely any focus put on Bardock at all, there's no time to really give him a spotlight.
That in itself isn't a huge problem to me. The story doesn't need to focus on Bardock but the events surrounding Planet Vegeta's destruction need to be handled in a tasteful manner. Having Bardock time travel just before dying like that recent episode was just lame as shit and totally ruins the impact of his story. The saiyan back-story really doesn't need to be convoluted that way.

Last edited:

Mr. Fantastic

Alt-account
Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Blue? Don't you mean green?

Speaking of the waifu i audibly cringed when in that scene where she's bent over and they put her ass front and center. It was unnecessary and stupid.

EDIT: also when she stretched her form fitting body armor when showing it off by pulling right where her breasts were. Anime gonna anime I guess.

Re: color don't be that guy mate

And yeah I gave my friend the sideye when both of this instances happened and it was cringe AF

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
That in itself isn't a huge problem to me. The story doesn't need to focus on Bardock but the events surrounding Planet Vegeta's destruction need to be handled in a tasteful manner. Having Bardock time travel just before dying like that recent episode was just lame as shit and totally ruins the impact of his story. The saiyan back-story really doesn't need to be convoluted that way.

Yes. Even his way of acting is much better here

"This is weird, something doesn't add up, really getting some red flags here, wait they were asking about the Super Saiyan Legend? OH. SHIT."

is so much much better than

"A DYING ALIEN CURSED ME WITH THE POWER TO SEE THE FUTURE AND I WILL CHANGE IT WITH VIOLENCE"

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I took it as confirmation that the traditional SSJ4 design will return this year, likely with Broly attaining the form first. He's just not quite there yet.
I actually took it as an in-between form, Broly's SSJ form is a mutation, so the Oozaru-while-human form was an imperfect bridge towards the actual Legendary SSJ form and we might not see it come back, and if it does it'll still look just like the movie, nothing more, after all Broly attained a more powerful form in his Full Power SSJ, which he can't quite control yet.

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
Yes. Even his way of acting is much better here

"This is weird, something doesn't add up, really getting some red flags here, wait they were asking about the Super Saiyan Legend? OH. SHIT."

is so much much better than

"A DYING ALIEN CURSED ME WITH THE POWER TO SEE THE FUTURE AND I WILL CHANGE IT WITH VIOLENCE"
Lmao. I love the Bardock TV special but you have a point here. Making Bardock see the future was a pretty hamfisted way to give him the motivation to confront Frieza. It could have been handled better. Like if Frieza and his goons started making inquiries about the Legend of the Super Saiyan and then suddenly order most of the off-world Saiyans back to Planet Vegeta, that itself would be a pretty massive red flag.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They all played at different hours, couldnt catch the latin american dub, had to settle for english dub.
Ok but just out of curiosity, you guys did grew up watching DBZ with the Latin Spanish dub right? Or did you watch a different version? I mean I know you're part of the US but your native tongue is Spanish first, isn't it?

Deleted member 50498

User-requested account closure
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
Just saw it. The best fight scenes in all of DBZ imo.

Whis is just on another level. It's crazy to think he can probably clown both Broly and Jiren at the same time.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Lmao. I love the Bardock TV special but you have a point here. Making Bardock see the future was a pretty hamfisted way to give him the motivation to confront Frieza. It could have been handled better. Like if Frieza and his goons started making inquiries about the Legend of the Super Saiyan and then suddenly order most of the off-world Saiyans back to Planet Vegeta, that itself would be a pretty massive red flag.

I love the special too, but that premise was rubbish
Special has great fights that I'm glad this movie didn't contradict

Edit: Saw a critic said that the movie's animation was Z tier and puts super to shame.
No sweetie, IMO it puts Z to shame. It's th best Dragon Ball has ever been. Z wishes it had that much movement

Last edited:

Eddman

Oct 27, 2017
Mexico
Saw the movie yesterday. Yes, you guys were right, this is by far the best DB has ever looked. I'm a huge fan of the 1995 Z movies, which were my golden standard for animation in the franchise, and this one just brought that quality to the 21st century and then some more. The character models are an awesome mix of Toriyama's manga style with the 94-95 Z anime look. Every punch and kick feels strong, unlike battles in Super which was my main issue with it.

The flashback was extremely well done, to the point I wish we can have a movie or a TV arc of Guku/Vegeta/Broly's origins. I love the way Toriyama rewrote Broly and Paragus. He is still an asshole and uses his son as a tool like in the 90s movie, but you can see he really cares about him as a father, with the limitations all the saiyans have while expressing affection.

I'm mexican so I watched the LatAm dub, which was espectacular. In Battle of Gods and Resurrection F the original cast did a great job, but some of them felt, understandably, a little bit out of character after all these years. In this movie, they were 100% spot on, with a lot of fanservice, like the original voices of Broly, Paragus, King Cold or Nappa. It was flawless.

Totally recommended.

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Trying to go see this tomorrow, my daughter has shown interest in Dragon Ball and nobody really has an answer on any of the theater websites. Is this subbed or dubbed for the US release?

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Cheelai was super sexualized, like, almost Bulma in the original Dragon Ball levels of fan service, but without going that far

Still, I liked her.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
After a friend bailed on me 3 times i finally got to see the movie yesterday, i really liked it, the "present" bits seemed a bit too crammed, but i liked it a lot, really loving the set up for Broly becoming a recurring character, getting his own side characters.

Also absolutely lost it at Bulma and Frieza wanting the Dragonballs for completely inane things, in hindsight it's almost a meta commentary on the series, where the characters have gone so far beyond in terms of scale that Earth Shen Ron has become obsolete. Also absolutely loved the throwback to Commander Red.

I would say Battle of the Gods is still my fave movie, but i liked all the things Broly set up, like bringing up that Vegeta's brother might still be out there, showing other random Saiyans could have survived (like those 2 guys who were with Nappa, Vegeta and Radditz), Broly's immense power explained as him being in a perpetual Ozaru like state, etc.

Solid movie.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
After a friend bailed on me 3 times i finally got to see the movie yesterday, i really liked it, the "present" bits seemed a bit too crammed, but i liked it a lot, really loving the set up for Broly becoming a recurring character, getting his own side characters.

Also absolutely lost it at Bulma and Frieza wanting the Dragonballs for completely inane things, in hindsight it's almost a meta commentary on the series, where the characters have gone so far beyond in terms of scale that Earth Shen Ron has become obsolete. Also absolutely loved the throwback to Commander Red.

I would say Battle of the Gods is still my fave movie, but i liked all the things Broly set up, like bringing up that Vegeta's brother might still be out there, showing other random Saiyans could have survived (like those 2 guys who were with Nappa, Vegeta and Radditz), Broly's immense power explained as him being in a perpetual Ozaru like state, etc.

Solid movie.
Plus Goku calling himself proudly by his Saiyan name for the first (?) time at the end of the movie. It's probably the biggest character development he's gotten as of late lol since it makes it look like he's more accepting of his Saiyan origins.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Plus Goku calling himself proudly by his Saiyan name for the first (?) time at the end of the movie. It's probably the biggest character development he's gotten as of late lol since it makes it look like he's more accepting of his Saiyan origins.

I'd imagine meeting the U6 Saiyans and Broly really made him think twice about rejecting his saiyan heritage. Wish he couldve known his parents

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Saw the movie yesterday. Yes, you guys were right, this is by far the best DB has ever looked. I'm a huge fan of the 1995 Z movies, which were my golden standard for animation in the franchise, and this one just brought that quality to the 21st century and then some more. The character models are an awesome mix of Toriyama's manga style with the 94-95 Z anime look. Every punch and kick feels strong, unlike battles in Super which was my main issue with it.

The flashback was extremely well done, to the point I wish we can have a movie or a TV arc of Guku/Vegeta/Broly's origins. I love the way Toriyama rewrote Broly and Paragus. He is still an asshole and uses his son as a tool like in the 90s movie, but you can see he really cares about him as a father, with the limitations all the saiyans have while expressing affection.

I'm mexican so I watched the LatAm dub, which was espectacular. In Battle of Gods and Resurrection F the original cast did a great job, but some of them felt, understandably, a little bit out of character after all these years. In this movie, they were 100% spot on, with a lot of fanservice, like the original voices of Broly, Paragus, King Cold or Nappa. It was flawless.

Totally recommended.
Yeah it was amazing how they brought back the original voices for such small roles like Cold and Napa, especially Cold since he was such a minor character in the show as well, at least Napa was more memorable.

Our American bris will never understand how and why the LatAm dub of Dragon Ball has been tiring on all cilinders since they started dubbing OG DB in 1995 and this movie is no exception.

Advc

Nov 3, 2017
Yeah it was amazing how they brought back the original voices for such small roles like Cold and Napa, especially Cold since he was such a minor character in the show as well, at least Napa was more memorable.

Our American bris will never understand how and why the LatAm dub of Dragon Ball has been tiring on all cilinders since they started dubbing OG DB in 1995 and this movie is no exception.

Yes! Latin American dub is among the best, if not the best on media entertainment IMO. To the point sometimes I feel bad for english-only speakers that complain about bad english dubs on anime and any kind of animated movie/series because thay cannot enjoy the awesomeness of Latin Amerian dub.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yes! Latin American dub is among the best, if not the best on media entertainment IMO. To the point sometimes I feel bad for english-only speakers that complain about bad english dubs on anime and any kind of animated movie/series because thay cannot enjoy the awesomeness of Latin Amerian dub.

i dont have problem with cartoons on english, i think the original content from america has great voice-work, but man, their anime dubs are ABYSMAL,

i dont care what they say, they really are.

and even the one they say are "great dubs" are so freaking bad.

sorry american fellows

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i dont have problem with cartoons on english, i think the original content from america has great voice-work, but man, their anime dubs are ABYSMAL,

sorry american fellows
Growing up on a steady ration of LatAm dubs of DB and DBZ in the mid to late 90s in Mexico I remember being flabbergasted by how bad I considered the English dub of DBZ the first time I came across it on American Cartoon Network.

First thing I noticed was "wow, I can't believe the US is actually behind Mexico with DBZ". I was so used to get our entertainment from the US meaning we'd get it at the same time as them at best but usually later but not with DBZ.

Second thing I noticed is: where did all the great DBZ music go? And why was it relaxed by this lame rock thing? I couldn't believe years later I learned how many of you loved that. Ignorance is bliss and you didn't know any better I guess.

The actual dub work wasn't "bad" but after the God-tier LatAm dub the downgrade was noticeable. And I'm sorry but English Frieza sucks.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Growing up on a steady ration of LatAm dubs of DB and DBZ in the mid to late 90s in Mexico I remember being flabbergasted by how bad I considered the English dub of DBZ the first time I came across it on American Cartoon Network.

First thing I noticed was "wow, I can't believe the US is actually behind Mexico with DBZ". I was so used to get our entertainment from the US meaning we'd get it at the same time as them at best but usually later but not with DBZ.

Second thing I noticed is: where did all the great DBZ music go? And why was it relaxed by this lame rock thing? I couldn't believe years later I learned how many of you loved that. Ignorance is bliss and you didn't know any better I guess.

The actual dub work wasn't "bad" but after the God-tier LatAm dub the downgrade was noticeable. And I'm sorry but English Frieza sucks.

to this day i dont know what the fuck are they talking about "falcouner" shit

i assume it is the replaced music you mention

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
to this day i dont know what the fuck are they talking about "falcouner" shit

i assume it is the replaced music you mention
Yes. Composed by this Falcouner guy. I still don't understand what was so wrong about the original music that they had to change it? They grew up loving it because that's what they had. Didn't know any better.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit. DBS Broly tearing apart the Mexican box office. It's the strongest debut of any DB movie in history, landing in #1 (unseating Aquaman which had been #1 since December) and it had 40% higher earnings in its first week than freaking Wreck it Ralph 2!

Source (SDP Noticias)

Jul 3, 2018
Really enjoyed the movie as well, the yellow alien girl being fansaervice was pretty fun as well lol.

Still wondering why Broly was so up to fighting Goku and Vegeta while unprovoked, I guess it's implied that his father Paragus never let up how King Vegeta was the cause of all things bad for them.

It was really humorous how the fight got turned on Frieza and Whis having a turn was simply amazing.

Also I guess all the Frieza ships have nearly indestructible shock collars in storage, wonder where Paragus got that.

Anyway the fights were so cool and well choreographed, got chills a few times lol

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Holy shit. DBS Broly tearing apart the Mexican box office. It's the strongest debut of any DB movie in history, landing in #1 (unseating Aquaman which had been #1 since December) and it had 40% higher earnings in its first week than freaking Wreck it Ralph 2!

Source (SDP Noticias)

me imagino a vegeta diciendole a aquaman, "eres un insecto!" mientras lo saca del lugar numero 1

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
002812ea97a7c8e964b26c13fc9209ec.jpg

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017

There is a rumor that Toei actually brute forced to get all the VAs back, since apparently Broly's VA was actually black listed.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is a rumor that Toei actually brute forced to get all the VAs back, since apparently Broly's VA was actually black listed.
Not only Broly (VA: Ricardo Brust, aka 2nd Mr. Satan, aka Cell) but also Broly's dad (VA: Roberto Sen, aka the first Mr. Satan voice, aka best Satan) was blacklisted but only by the company that dubbed Kai and Super (Candiani). But since this movie was dubbed at a different studio (Labo) there was no such problem and they were able to bring them back.

Something similar happened when they dubbed Battle of the Gods where they wouldn't bring Laura Torres (aka kid Goku, Gohan, & Goten) back to dub the very short lines that Goten had and gave it to another person who went uncredited. Thankfully since then she's come back for Ressurrection F, Super and Broly

It's all so stupid.

Last edited:

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica

sorry american fellows

THIS

I just don't get how some cartoons get downright amazing VA but anime dubs are just abysmal, always overacted as fuck

Oh dear. I haven't checked but I'm sure she's been Rule 34'd to hell and back by now hasn't she?

From the moment an potato cam version of her design came to light