BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Is there any reason to keep the old versions of Doom 1/2 on Switch anymore? Or can I delete them after I download 1+2?

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Had fun with the coop with a few friends. Like that you can basically just fuck around the levels and progress made by anyone goes to whole group.

Game doesn't scale, so you gotta play on Normal or Higher depending on the amount you have

lazyguy

Oct 26, 2017
If i buy doom 93 and doom 2 off fanatical and then activate it on steam, would those 2 games become 'doom 1+2' in my steam library (along with all the extras)?

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Had fun with the coop with a few friends. Like that you can basically just fuck around the levels and progress made by anyone goes to whole group.

Game doesn't scale, so you gotta play on Normal or Higher depending on the amount you have
Local coop Doom 1-2 has been a lot of fun with my mates. You essentially have infinite lives and can just fuck around trying to figure out how to beat the level.

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure what the game means by "Monster-Filled" level.
Completed E1M1 of Doom and Map 1 of Doom II on UV with 100% kills and no damage and didn't get the trophy.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Legacy of Rust is punishing. Tried to jump in on UV and the second map just trounced me.

AaronMT

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
I'm disappointed that this isn't a free update for the Doom Classics (Doom / Doom 2 / Doom 3) (Limited Run physical) release on Switch.

DOOM_Trilogy_Switch_460x__84238.1647633727.png

Spook & Spell

Aug 3, 2021
What a pleasant surprise. I have both games on PS4. Eh, too bad my + is long expired. These would be a fun co-op romp.

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
If i buy doom 93 and doom 2 off fanatical and then activate it on steam, would those 2 games become 'doom 1+2' in my steam library (along with all the extras)?
you just need one of them. I already owned doom II (but not I) and it didn't change Doom II in my library or add a separate entry automatically, but I was able to go to the Doom I + II steam page and install it for free, which then added it to my steam library list

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
I'm disappointed that this isn't a free update for the Doom Classics (Doom / Doom 2 / Doom 3) (Limited Run physical) release on Switch.

DOOM_Trilogy_Switch_460x__84238.1647633727.png

It's likely because this new thing is digital only, so they would need to somehow put something into it that would require you to have the physical game cart in your system to play the digital game. Which I assume is not super easy to do when they are kinda 2 different games.

lazyguy

Oct 26, 2017
you just need one of them. I already owned doom II (but not I) and it didn't change Doom II in my library or add a separate entry automatically, but I was able to go to the Doom I + II steam page and install it for free, which then added it to my steam library list

but can you launch the doom you didnt own (from within the launcher/menu)? that part was unclear from all these posts

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure what the game means by "Monster-Filled" level.
Completed E1M1 of Doom and Map 1 of Doom II on UV with 100% kills and no damage and didn't get the trophy.
Same it's probably bugged because, and I quote from another site. Someone got it like this:
"Funny enough, I got this by dying on E1M5, quiting out for a break, loading my save at the very end of E1M3 (after being shot to shit) and leaving via the secret exit."

Buttonbasher

Dec 4, 2017
The game crashes very easily on switch when scrolling through the id vault, but wow what a labor of love. I was already impressed with console doom on my switch play through recently but all this(for free!) is amazing. Can't wait to dive in to the new campaign and play more mods(PS Tetanus appears to be missing from the featured list)
'Tetanus' and 'Scientist' are both missing, compared to the original re-releases.

Cam

Oct 27, 2017
Just wanted to try it on Xbox, ripped through Knee Deep on Hurt me plenty, with four others.

I have the biggest smile on my face

xmonkeyofevil

Jun 9, 2019
My one nitpick is that there doesn't seem to be a way to turn off the sound effect that plays when you find a secret. Other than that, I have no complaints with this whatsoever. To be honest, barring mods/wads that necessitate GZDoom or the like, I can see this being my default way to play Doom going forward.

Hell Egret

#TeamThierry
Aug 19, 2022
It's great to see a company treat one of their historically important titles with such care, to the point of giving away their remasters and new content to owners. They're working wonders for the series' legacy

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
The game works fine on the Deck despite it listed as not working on the the Deck.

holpye

Jan 5, 2024
Oh man, really sad that I can't play custom online maps, just the base ones in cooperative.

Oct 27, 2017
I very much appreciate the visual and audio options this port gives us. Default looks just a bit too crisp for my taste, and having the option to drop it down to original resolution or several steps in between makes a world of difference to me. I like a crunchy looking Doom.

I love having the FM soundtrack too. It's underapreciated these days, but that's how most of us played it. MIDI equipment was expensive as crap.

The new soundtrack is nice. It's great having something that makes this different than any previous port. I feel like this is a good alternative to the 3DO soundtrack, since the creator of that one has some issues that would probably make using it a bit of an issue.

The archival material is great too. I spent a while just going through all the unused art. I love having material like this in retro releases. I'd love a full blown Atari 50 style museum, but this isn't bad at all.

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't boot on linux, boo!

I know I can use any other source port to load the wads but i was curious about the new menu

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
is anyone else getting extremely quiet music on the ps5 version? The sound effects are nice and loud but the music is barely audible unless I crank my tv speakers up way too high.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
If you're gonna make us sign in to bethesda.net give us cross save.

Besides that complaint these are glorious on PS5 and Steam Deck

h0tp0ck3t

"This guy are sick"
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit the remix soundtrack is amazing

Edit: Haha oh my god the Deimos Anomaly theme!

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
The stealth biggest thing is Boom compatibility for wads by the way. That opens the door for so much cool stuff. And all the multiplayer functionality of course. If it's robust enough to be viable it will be kinda huge to not have to direct people around Doomseeker and stuff.
Not having DehExtra and other modern adds to the post-Boom spec is a shame, but unsurprising since it'd be a lot of work that Nightdive should spend beyond the scope of niche source port features. It'd be cool to have Eternity-style features, too, since Heartland is one of the most impressive recent map-packs out there. As for Doomseeker, well, it's good to have a console-bound alternative.

Yeah, Plutonia is fantastic. Once you get on its level, and just learn to enjoy being fucked with, it's sublime. The Casalis really knew how to design a level.
I've been walking a friend through Plutonia for the past months, and we've finally reached Go 2 It. He doesn't yet know how terrifying this map will be, and I can't wait to explain How Slaughtermaps Works.

Poor achievement hunters, they must play through TNT: Evilution and Master Levels.

Had to hold a big laugh when they showed a snippet of the most infamous Master Level map in the release trailer. They should add Echelon to the curated mods list just to show people what Sverre Kvernmo's better work is like, poor guy. Both TNT and ML have their highlights at least (the former's much more palatable since it's a full campaign).

One thing that's super frickin cool is that the new stuff made for Legacy of Rust is stored in its own wad files, for mappers to use. id1.wad is the episode with everything included, id1_weap.wad and id1_res.wad are for mappers.
Saves the trouble of digging through the base WAD in SLADE 3 at least.

So how robust is mod support in this release? I've always wanted to check out mods for the original games, would this be an easy way to do so now? Or do mods these days have more requirements that this release won't support? I've played myhouse.wad before and I see above that it'd require gzdoom over this release, but don't know if that's kind of an exception.
This will play "limit-removing" and Boom-compatible maps, not anything built for ZDoom-based ports. GZDoom maps/mods usually have either (a) an incompatible map format (don't think this rerelease supports UDMF maps in a Boom context), and/or (b) tons of ACF/Decorate/ZScript coding that Boom-derived source ports won't recognize. MyHouse.wad is just the best-known example of scripting-heavy mods that need ZDoom-style feature, whereas sets like Back to Saturn X or the new Legacy of Ruin target parameters closer to vanilla limits. It also seems like multiplayer's restricted to the base DM maps added here, so hopefully they fix that and add more robust multi-mode options for online games.

retroMCR

Sep 30, 2023
Are there any mods that makes doom 1 and 2 more like the ps1 version? With all the darkness and ambient sound. I like that version a lot

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
What does "modern cooperative" in the multiplayer settings mean?

I wonder if mouse and keyboard would work on switch….its in the settings. Maybe I should dig out my wireless keyboard and plug it into the dock to see what happens.

How does LAN mode work on a Switch and how does that differ from Local Wireless?