KingFrost92

Oct 26, 2017
Oregon
Oooo! I've been wanting to play through these games on Steam Deck on my lunch breaks, but Doom 1 has always showed it was unsupported on there. Excited to test this out tonight and glad to hear it's working okay. It's been a long time.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
Eviternity II kinda works for me but I get massive frame rate drops in the 2nd level.

I'm quite liking the port, the max screensize HUD is pretty nicely done.

Does this have free look? You can pick between Software, D3D and Vulkan for rendering, and software is marked as "warp" which implies freelook to me, but can't see a way to enable it.

I feel like i'll probably stick with Nugget Doom for now as I really like the option to centre weapon on fire and I don't think that's an option here, and loading custom WADs is a bit awkward if they're not uploaded ones.

Nacery

Jul 11, 2018
So weird that SIGIL II and the Mods section isn't featured on the main campaign selection screen.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I had been holding off on a proper replay of these games and so glad I did. The remixes are fantastic and the presentation overall feels very nicely done.

Looking forward to getting into the new episodes too, can't believe they added new weapons/enemies after 20 years!

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
Oooo! I've been wanting to play through these games on Steam Deck on my lunch breaks, but Doom 1 has always showed it was unsupported on there. Excited to test this out tonight and glad to hear it's working okay. It's been a long time.
It's still marked unsupported. It also always worked absolutely fine on Deck. I've no idea why 2 was marked as supported but 1 wasn't (and technically still isn't).

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit for real? They added support for MY HOUSE on consoles? That makes this re-release worth it alone.
No, someone has just uploaded it. Anyone can upload WADs.

It's almost certainly the basic MyHouse.Wad and not the Pk3, which is heavily dependent on GZDoom specific features and there's zero chance any of those are in here.

KingFrost92

Oct 26, 2017
Oregon
It's still marked unsupported. It also always worked absolutely fine on Deck. I've no idea why 2 was marked as supported but 1 wasn't (and technically still isn't).

Ahaha should have checked the Proton site before saying anything. I was always surprised to see that. Like...it's Doom - how is it unsupported?? Having it all in one install is still nice though.

Xwing

This guy are sick of the unshakeable slayer
Nov 11, 2017
No, someone has just uploaded it. Anyone can upload WADs.

It's almost certainly the basic MyHouse.Wad and not the Pk3, which is heavily dependent on GZDoom specific features and there's zero chance any of those are in here.

Oh I didn't realize this version made it so literally anyone can upload WADs. In the old versions the community WADs were curated by the developers.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just a head's up, you can currently buy the original version of Doom for Steam for $1.59 on cdkeys and when you activate it you will get this new version.

www.cdkeys.com

DOOM (1993) PC

Buy DOOM (1993) PC ✔️ CD Key ✔️ Instant download ✔️ Fantastic price ✔️ Digital Download ✔️

Should work for Doom 2 as well if that one goes out of stock (same price):

www.cdkeys.com

DOOM II 2 PC

Buy DOOM II 2 PC ✔️ CD Key ✔️ Instant download ✔️ Fantastic price ✔️ Digital Download ✔️
No longer available.

Anyone have other options?

Xwing

This guy are sick of the unshakeable slayer
Nov 11, 2017
So weird that SIGIL II and the Mods section isn't featured on the main campaign selection screen.

If Plutonia and TNT are there, SIGIL II definitely deserves to be on the main campaign selection screen as well. My only theory is that maybe the new Legacy of Rust campaign somehow de-canonized SIGIL II? But that would be incredibly bizzare as there's barely anything there story wise in the first place, lol.

KainXVIII

Oct 26, 2017
No UI scale, i presume? Doomguy face is so fucking big lol
PS - SSAA/MSAA support would be nice too..

20240808224035_1.jpg

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Man, Legacy of Rust

NightDive + Machinegames + id collaboration

We are truly blessed. The music alone is just a thing of beauty.

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
Literally just played thru 1 - 3 this year for their anniversaries

Looks like I'm going thru again tho, lol 😆

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
WE GOT MY HOUSE. Wad for the first time on consoles baaybeeee. IM GEEKED
Holy shit for real? They added support for MY HOUSE on consoles? That makes this re-release worth it alone.
No lmao
Maybe it works on consoles but trying to play myhouse just crashes the game on PC. Which makes sense because myhouse needs GZDoom features, and those aren't here.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
It's certainly something that the mod uploader doesn't have any checks to make sure people upload mods that are compatible with the game. I feel like that's gonna violate some console certification stuff, there's a reason the mod stores for Bethesda's other games are curated.

No UI scale, i presume? Doomguy face is so fucking big lol
PS - SSAA/MSAA support would be nice too..

20240808224035_1.jpg
Yeah, this bugs the crap out of me. The stat bar is fricking huge.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
New episode is fucking wild. Booted it up on UV because hey, why wouldn't you play UV, and it's been fighting tooth and claw every step of the way through enormous levels with all sorts of new art and music.

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Played the first 4 levels with the new soundtrack and I really think this is it. The finally definitive console version of Doom/2.

LongDongJunon

Nov 13, 2017
No lmao
Maybe it works on consoles but trying to play myhouse just crashes the game on PC. Which makes sense because myhouse needs GZDoom features, and those aren't here.

Yeah my bad about that, I saw it and got excited but didn't realize that gzdoom was required to run the actual full thing. Like it was said earlier, the one that was uploaded here sends you to a room you're trapped in. just four walls. At least that's how it appears on consoles

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I dunno what it is about these old FPS but my stomach turns while playing them. I never got nauseous as a kid :(

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah my bad about that, I saw it and got excited but didn't realize that gzdoom was required to run the actual full thing. Like it was said earlier, the one that was uploaded here sends you to a room you're trapped in. just four walls. At least that's how it appears on consoles
Someone uploaded what I'm assuming was the actual myhouse.pk3 file, but that crashed the game. It seems like that was taken offline, and someone else uploaded another thing claiming to be myhouse that's the empty room.
...Where the fuck are these stored on my PC, I can't delete them from in-game.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've played all of the first episode in coop. I could barely follow the players who knew exactly where to go lol. It was fun.

That said, I think I'm good on Doom now. I've had my fill for another 5 years or so.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
One thing that's super frickin cool is that the new stuff made for Legacy of Rust is stored in its own wad files, for mappers to use. id1.wad is the episode with everything included, id1_weap.wad and id1_res.wad are for mappers.

MoonlitSeer

Fallen Guardian
Jun 9, 2023
So how robust is mod support in this release? I've always wanted to check out mods for the original games, would this be an easy way to do so now? Or do mods these days have more requirements that this release won't support? I've played myhouse.wad before and I see above that it'd require gzdoom over this release, but don't know if that's kind of an exception.

LongDongJunon

Nov 13, 2017
Someone uploaded what I'm assuming was the actual myhouse.pk3 file, but that crashed the game. It seems like that was taken offline, and someone else uploaded another thing claiming to be myhouse that's the empty room.
...Where the fuck are these stored on my PC, I can't delete them from in-game.

(You probably tried this already, but I had to figure this out as well) If you set the filter in the browse mods menu to sort by "subscribed" it will pull up all the mods you downloaded and you have to unsubcribe to each of them to get them off in-game.