Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I also like Kiddy's idle animation where he pulls the stretchy toe on his feety pajamas.

Kiddy is so cute. DKC3 is awesome. It was set in the DKC equivalent of Canada!
Also the jaunty way he hung on horizontal ropes, generally his animations showed a certain level of extra liveliness Rare gained over the course of making the trilogy.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Also the jaunty way he hung on horizontal ropes, generally his animations showed a certain level of extra liveliness Rare gained over the course of making the trilogy.
Yep, Kiddy is great. I feel the animosity toward him is a vestige of childhood insecurity when Nintendo fans were under siege for lack of edgy games.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kiddy is fine and DKC3 is mad underrated. Lord Wise didn't compose the vast majority of its OST, but he did grace us with this banger:

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Kiddy is fine and DKC3 is mad underrated.
When I was a kid, the DKC player's guide was my bible. When I wasn't poring over its maps and marveling over the detail in the character renders, I daydreamed about new characters, doodling concepts for new members of the Brothers Bear. I found DKC to be exceptionally immersive, in part due to the open map. I also found the Canada-inspired setting so refreshing for a game starring jungle animals -- something I also appreciate about the Swiss/Bavaria-inspired Windmill Hills in Tropical Freeze.

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The game is available for pre-order now on the Europe eshop. 60 euros.

Not available on the US eshop yet.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
The worst feeling is when he randomly speeds up his walk and kills you.

I don't know if he actually has set patterns. Could never figure it out, and had to luck my way through mirror mode...

Chicken walker/colonel pluck was some shit, there was nothing but randomness to if he decided to power walk, which is problematic when the only way to get past him is waiting by his legs to pass below.

Any time anyone dumps on the boss battles of TF (which have more work put into them than most bosses in the hop n bop style) I think they should be forced into hard mode Thugly and Colonel Pluck to see how wrong they are.

Yep. Time trials in DKCR battles were specially shitty because of that randomness, something that was in fact acknowledged and fixed in the routines of TF bosses, which I find excellent despite people criticism.

If I recall correctly, in order to shiny gold Mugly and Thugly you even had to get advantage of some glitches related to their attacks that made them skip animations. It was crazy.
Huh, maybe I should look up a video of the Wii version - there was definitely a set pattern when I played it for the first time on DKCR 3D recently. Mind you, it's still not telegraphed the first time through, but the pattern was the same each time I had to restart the fight.

I also played through DKCR 3D in preparation for DKC TF; y'all are really hyping me up for this lol.

Pat

Oct 27, 2017
How does Funky "easy mode" works for coop play? My girlfriend would like to play but she's not good at gaming so that Funky guy would motivate her but I'd also like to play with her, any way this could happen?

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Y'all gonna' keep posting music tracks and I'll keep posting accompanying level videos!

This level is incredible, as well as the following stage that shows the aftermath of the storm.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Your reminder that a true contender for best track only plays on a stretch of land you'll spend about 6 seconds on

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OrbitalBeard

Trying not to spoil myself too much by watching those videos since I didn't own a WiiU, but I can't help myself. Game looks incredible. Can't wait.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
This is the best track in the game, Wise even said it's his favorite song he's ever written (his friend played guitar on it!) so everything else y'all are putting is wrong! ;)

Actual level:

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
The way the background elements of Harvest Hazard's theme build upon each other before the loop is too strong.

Oct 28, 2017
I think Returns is probably the harder game. Diddy is no Dixie, and one-hit rocket barrels and mine carts are pretty punishing. Mirror Mode Jagged Jewels is no joke.

Whew, that made me feel better. I got Returns on my 2DS XL last month to prepare for Tropical Freeze and its kicking my ass.

That tells me I will enjoy Tropical Freeze more if I can just accept that I need to use Funky from the start.

I got a month to kill my ego to make that happen.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My favorite song in the game is Homecoming Hijinks

It also plays in the best stage in the game, Cliffside Slide.

Coolwhip

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looking at this trailer I feel Retros game is not Dkc 3. If they both release this year it would be too familiar for the casual gamer.

Niraj

Oct 25, 2017
The way the background elements of Harvest Hazard's theme build upon each other before the loop is too strong.

Yup, that's one of the reasons I like it so much.

World 5 is awesome. Phil Collins would be proud of this musical piece. The entire world is a wonderful twist on the DKC Factory setup.

Yeah I love how it takes you through the whole fruit processing, starting with harvesting and even leading to finished products like jellies and popsicles. Pretty neat idea. The fact that fruits are so colorful helps the levels feel pretty vibrant too.

David Sr.

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
Huh, maybe I should look up a video of the Wii version - there was definitely a set pattern when I played it for the first time on DKCR 3D recently. Mind you, it's still not telegraphed the first time through, but the pattern was the same each time I had to restart the fight.

I also played through DKCR 3D in preparation for DKC TF; y'all are really hyping me up for this lol.

Yep, some of those patterns were fixed in DKCR 3D and it's probably, now that you say so, that Colonel Pluck's routines were less random in the port. In addition, the time mark necessary to get gold was more comprehensive in some levels and boss battles, and I'm pretty sure you didn't have to take advantage of a bug to shiny gold Mugly in the 3DS version.

beetlebum

Nov 24, 2017
Brazil

World 5 is awesome. Phil Collins would be proud of this musical piece. The entire world is a wonderful twist on the DKC Factory setup.
I don't say this lightly, but it might be my favorite world theme in the history of level-based 2D platformers. The way the levels are structured to take the player through the whole factory process is so smart.

Also, Bright Savannah. You arrive during a carnival, then a tornado passes through and leaves fire and destruction on its wake - and everything is told via the sequencing of the level motifs. I'm such a sucker for this sort of thing.

SkywardBeam

Oct 25, 2017

By far my favorite track on this overall great soundtrack. Makes for one of the most intense boss fights of all time (well to be fair, probably the easiest boss in TF, but who cares with that music playing?!)

beetlebum

Nov 24, 2017
Brazil

By far my favorite track on this overall great soundtrack. Makes for one of the most intense boss fights of all time (well to be fair, probably the easiest boss in TF, but who cares with that music playing?!)
Awesome, awesome track. I was so disappointed when I got to the boss of the following world (AKA the final boss) and the track wasn't nearly as epic as this one.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Preloading this game now. Cant wait!

Thanks to the posters who gave me advice on the multiplayer. My wife and I will enjoy this one for sure. I still dont know why I skipped this on the WiiU, I absolutely had a blast with Returns on the Wii.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
I really love this game, it's one of my Top 5 of all time. But I don't know if I can spend $60 on a game I already own, spent 80+ hours playing, and cleared it 200%.

I feel like this release isn't for me, there's no content for veterans of the game, just newcomers. And that's fine, I don't need to own everything.