• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Balder is more than 10 minutes into the game, isn't he? I remembered that being like 30-40 minutes in. I definitely could be mistaken though.
He's like 1-2 hour in. You start at the tree, go hunt the deer, fight the troll boss and go through a few ruins before Baldur.

Last edited:

Boddy

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because 20 minutes isn't even enough for that in most cases. Your opinion is based on pretty much nothing too, a hour or 2 sure, but nah, if you've already decided you don't like a game after 20 minutes, you likely went in not wanting to like it.
Or, here is an crazy idea, you just really didn't like what you saw?

Ryo

Oct 28, 2017
My enjoyment was a pretty steady 8-9/10 throughout, the standout moments were the set-pieces but I'm not the sort of player that would recommend a game based on the strength of its scripted set-pieces.

Last edited:

Zippro

May 20, 2018
Damn, this thread reminds me what a mediocre game this was. It really was Sony's Skyward Sword.

Listen, the story doesn't get any better, if anything it gets worse and you can see the cracks show more and more afterwards. The story starts to suffer more and more from flowery dialogue that sounds like it was written by a teenage who was really into Edgar Allen Poe, but didn't quite understand what made his stories great. It doesn't help that Atreus has a random shift in character that goes nowhere and is reversed without rhyme or reason. It hits story beats, but it doesn't earn them and that's the ultimate narrative flaw with the game and why you have people both calling it good and bad. It's that it has a lot of wasted potentials and those that love it are willing to hand the game a victory it didn't earn.

Games are a hobby and both an expensive and time consuming one at that. If the game doesn't jive with you just drop it and move on. If you still wanna see where it goes, but don't want to play, perhaps put on a cutscene compilation from YouTube. That's what I did with Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2 and I don't regret it. You have to learn how to pick your battles and if God of War isn't your cup of tea perhaps it's best to let it slide on by, but that doesn't mean you can't still observe it.

Last edited:

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
And no, what makes the fight so cool is the fact that it plays out the way it does without feeling scripted, it's very well directed.
Yeah, but there's nothing near the level of the first combat in the game, it feels like you experience the best content in your first hour, which is kind of lame. They should've made the game shorter, less padding and re-visiting areas, and created 1 or 2 more moments like the first Baldur fight.

MadMod

Dec 4, 2017
This thread really is trying to trigger me haha. One of my all time fave games. The story gets better, but unless you crit path the rest of the game, you should really drop it. :)

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Damn, this thread reminds me what a mediocre game this was. It really was Sony's Skyward Sword.
Nah, SS at least had a better re-use of areas. Both games have a shared problem: they feel longer than they should because of how both make the player re-visit the same areas again and again, but at least SS did some interesting gameplay things with the concept (the light tear trials were brilliant IMO).

Chivalry

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Nov 22, 2018
There'll be more epic moments later. Watch them on youtube if you don't want to play it anymore. The game is a bit of a slog and I don't blame you for losing interest.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Bait filled thread.

Stop playing the game of the year if you hate it so much. Don't you value your own time?

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, but there's nothing near the level of the first combat in the game, it feels like you experience the best content in your first hour, which is kind of lame. They should've made the game shorter, less padding and re-visiting areas, and created 1 or 2 more moments like the first Baldur fight.

Well, that's disappointing to hear because like said I'm still playing through it.

OP
OP
Castlemadeofsand
Oct 30, 2017
I think I might just try to b line the main game and finish quick which is not how I usually play games. And try a Valkyrie fight since that was recommended. But I'll drop it if I don't like that. Kind of a bummer since I was really looking forward to this game. But hey if I don't enjoy the rest, dmc5 and sekiro will surely deliver

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Well, that's disappointing to hear because like said I'm still playing through it.
The combat changes massively after a certain point. The combat get's significantly better as you unlock more moves and rune attacks too. The Baldur fight isn't the best it has to offer. I wouldn't dig any deeper than that to avoid spoiling yourself.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
I mean if you play action games its nothing special at all. The hype in the OT at launch was ridiculous for what it is.

I had a blast with it. I don't know what people said in the OT since I didn't read it, I only started the game a few days ago.
What annoys me is the hyperbole that constantly gets thrown around here.
Absolute garbage? Superman 64 is absolute garbage. It's like people are only capable of expressing opinions in extremes. Give me a break.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Finish the game, is not a bad game (I think is one of the 7-10 best games from 2018), but the game sets some really high expectations during the first three or four hours, and then drags during a dozen or so hours, repeating some areas and enemy types all the time. There are 2-3 really good moments from Alfheim to the end, but some really boring sections too, and the lack of epic bosses hurts the game a lot.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The Stranger discussion on the first page was interesting. I personally enjoyed the game quite a bit, but that boss fight was specifically really dull.
Although, for me the high points in the game were the exploration and narrative.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
I had a blast with it. I don't know what people said in the OT since I didn't read it, I only started the game a few days ago.
What annoys me is the hyperbole that constantly gets thrown around here.
Absolute garbage? Superman 64 is absolute garbage. It's like people are only capable of expressing opinions in extremes. Give me a break.
That's one of the reasons it's so difficult to have worthwhile discussions around here. So many posters immediately resort to braindead extremes, as though nothing matters unless it's the WORST or the BEST EVER.

What was so great about it?
Serious question? You didn't think the presentation was any good?

FusedAtoms

Jul 21, 2018
I had fun with the game and the character development was amazing. Making a thread like this you're going to get A LOT more negative opinions than positive ones, it's what always happens. But most people here are probably right if you're not liking it drop it unless you actually want to see there arcs to the end .

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I mean if you play action games its nothing special at all. The hype in the OT at launch was ridiculous for what it is.
So glad someone has said this. I enjoyed the game (even enough to platinum it) but I never understood how hyped so many people got over many aspects about it, especially that fight. It was average, if even that.

Nere

Dec 8, 2017
Finished it this summer and I had the same feeling as the OP whole game through, it was a good game but nothing more. Game felt too big for it's own good, later half of the game was basically backtracking through the first game. Far too few bosses, so many damn giants. As for the stranger it honestly was nothing special, it was an impressive looking fight but gameplay wise there was nothing special, since Kratos was missing almost all his abilities and skills. This game was seriously overhyped.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
If you got to the dragon boss that's pretty much the peak. I'd say bail, sounds like you have similar issues with the game that I had.

DanteLinkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I got the platinum in give me gof war dificulty and the game is nowhere near as fun as gow3 or gow2 imo. And the game definitely goes downhill after de first 20% of the game. Begins pretty epic anod ends mehish.

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
I'm only half way though the game so I don't know, I never said it's the pinnacle of anything but I think it's a hell of a way to start off the game. And no, what makes the fight so cool is the fact that it plays out the way it does without feeling scripted, it's very well directed.
it's odd, i felt it was way too scripted, no agency, and I HATE superpowers in cutscenes you don't have in game, and even worse is his newfound ability to jump that you don't have in game.

but i understand your pov. it's like uncharted where they take something barely interactive like hanging from the train and can build up the tension if you are willing to let the game do it.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
So glad someone has said this. I enjoyed the game (even enough to platinum it) but I never understood how hyped so many people got over many aspects about it, especially that fight. It was average, if even that.
Yeah I didn't get it either. After going through the game, I didn't care for the story at all. High points had to be the Valkyrie fights.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
the first fight with baldur is fantastic to watch, but from a mechanic\gameplay prospective, there are much more better fights through the game.
the valkyrie, some encounter with different type of enemy, some mid-boss, some challenges in the vulcanic area etc.

baldur has like 3 move in the first fight? and it's a very easy fight even on hard.

(sorry for my english)

jawzpause

Nov 7, 2017
If you don't like it now you won't ever like it. For me this gow is by far the best one and it's also one of the best games released on ps4

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
The lack of set piece bosses is definitely a sore spot, but as someone who always felt the God of War series was by and large pretty dull and repetitive, God of War 2018 made me a fan. I definitely think there's room to evolve the base formula as it arguably stretches itself a little thing in the last third or so, but the core combat system is just so fucking satisfying that I always felt myself completely immersed in every fight. To the point of actively seeking them all out in order to finish as much of the game as possible. I also think it captures an excellent sense of adventure and journey, namely due to the persistent dialogue and banter between the cast, and the semi-open hub structure allowing for little offshoot journeys. God of War really nails what I feel is the importance of highs and lows in pacing; it's very comfortable throwing lengthy exciting encounters your way as per God of War, but it's just as comfortable dialling the action back and letting you just row a boat. I feel these slower, calmer sequences do an exceptional job of breaking up the thrill while also thematically highlighting the general stillness of the world. There's an unsettlingly peace when exploring, a looming still coldness (fitting!) between the action. And I fucking loved it for that.

It also made me a fan of Kratos. I honestly think the God of War trilogy story (plus additional games) is a bit junk. It's very shlocky and comical and Kratos is too obnoxious to carry so many games. Funnily enough, him being a detestable character in the trilogy works in favour of his transformation here, leading to some really strong character moments.

I dunno. Like I said, I really don't like the God of War series very much. But fuck me did I love God of War 2018. I couldn't put it down.

Tankard

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Not my intention although I knew some people are too senstitive about the games they like. I just want to know if it improves or maintains. If it gets worse then I didn't wanna waste my time

Oh stop it.

What do you want people to tell you? Yeah, the game is garbage but keep trying?
You don't like it you won't like it, i'm pretty sure you know that by now

Caspar

Oct 29, 2017
UK
I'd say stick with it another hour or two and then decide. Open up the moveset and see more of the world, meet the other main characters in the game (it gets a lot funnier after the first morbid couple of hours). If it still hasn't grabbed you then move on.

I got the platinum so I definitely got my money's worth, but I don't think the game is particularly mind blowing. There are better action games out there if the combat and bosses are your main focus point, though not many with the presentation and story hooks of God of War.

(And my view in regards to the Stranger boss fight, it was cinematic but mechanically boring. Play Bloodborne to see what good boss fights looks like.)

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
the first fight with baldur is fantastic to watch, but from a mechanic\gameplay prospective, there are much more better fights through the game.
the valkyrie, some encounter with different type of enemy, some mid-boss, some challenges in the vulcanic area etc.

baldur has like 3 move in the first fight? and it's a very easy fight even on hard.

(sorry for my english)
I agree, but you fight lots of Valkiries and mid-bosses (well, technically it's always the same midboss), and tbh the bad camera makes worse even the best fights.

The problem is that the story feels slow and the epic that you can find during the first 2 hours is gone for most the game. Even if Baldur is not a good boss mechanically, it sets an epic tone, if the game had some more epic bosses (and you can make the bosses more interesting mechanically, the two things are not exclusive IMO) the pace could have been far better.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
If anyone says yes, will you play it more?
Because my impression after reading the OP is that you already had it set that yu do not like the game, and I doubt anyone will convince you otherwise.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Got the game upon release and played it up until beating the dragon boss. I liked aspects of the game but it hasn't gripped me like the previous games which were more epic and fun. Im wondering if it's worth finishing the game up. So far the story is okay but not that riveting, the combat can be cool too, but the bosses are absolute garbage. I don't know how they managed to make such fun bosses in the other games and not here

EDit: I also don't like the crafting and rpg stuff, but that seems to be optional
Clearly not a game for you. If you didn't really like it by now, drop it. I loved every minute of it. GOTY and way better than the old GOW games.

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
I'll never underdtand people liking the stranger fight, it's only a parry tutorial since all of his atacks glow so you can parry him

I think the does get better, but by the end is kind of tedious because of all the looting. Keep playing but avoid all the sidequest.

Skyplans

Oct 25, 2017
It's an ok game. The bosses are awful and the story is nothing spectacular.

The combat is really good and the art direction is impressive.

In many ways its like some old Hollywood movies which upon release were praised for their production values (like Around the world in 80 days or Cleopatra): a couple of years later everyone says they were really dumb and boring.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
I agree, but you fight lots of Valkiries and mid-bosses (well, technically it's always the same midboss), and tbh the bad camera makes worse even the best fights.

The problem is that the story feels slow and the epic that you can find during the first 2 hours is gone for most the game. Even if Baldur is not a good boss mechanically, it sets an epic tone, if the game had some more epic bosses (and you can make the bosses more interesting mechanically, the two things are not exclusive IMO) the pace could have been far better.
i don't wanna talk about the plot onestly, i liked but it's a little flawed, very good overall.

but if we are talking about combat, i take substance over spectacle every day of the week.
give me some un-spectacular boss with the wonderful game mechanics of the valkyrie over the baldur fight and i'm happy.
i hope we can have booth spectacle and good mechanics for the boss fights in the sequel.

(again sorry for my atrocius english, it's hard to post elaborate concepts with my limited vocabulary and poor grammar)

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
If you didnt like it so far, then don't waste your time with it.... or video games in general :)

OP
OP
Castlemadeofsand
Oct 30, 2017
Oh stop it.

What do you want people to tell you? Yeah, the game is garbage but keep trying?
You don't like it you won't like it, i'm pretty sure you know that by now

The discussion in here has been fine, people on both sides have weighed in. And I said I like aspects of it and not other aspects. It wasn't cut and dry. The responses have been good and now I know what to expect

Oct 25, 2017
I think the opening of the game is the strongest part, after that it gets a bit worse and never picks up again.
I never really bothered with crafting as well, every now and then I checked if I could make better armor and if I could I did.

OP
OP
Castlemadeofsand
Oct 30, 2017
If anyone says yes, will you play it more?
Because my impression after reading the OP is that you already had it set that yu do not like the game, and I doubt anyone will convince you otherwise.
I'm going to try and b line it and fight s Valkyrie. I like the combat and art direction, kinda of meh on the other stuff

dab0ne

Oct 27, 2017
I liked the game well enough but it was way overhyped. Didn't care for the crafting and level system. It's a good game but not a good God of War game imo. Definitely would have enjoyed it more if the wasn't a level system. It would annoy me when I'd open a portal and a stronger, common, enemy would come out and one shot me... but I was still strong enough to kill gods and other crazy beasts? -_-