• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 30, 2017
Got the game upon release and played it up until beating the dragon boss. I liked aspects of the game but it hasn't gripped me like the previous games which were more epic and fun. Im wondering if it's worth finishing the game up. So far the story is okay but not that riveting, the combat can be cool too, but the bosses are absolute garbage. I don't know how they managed to make such fun bosses in the other games and not here

EDit: I also don't like the crafting and rpg stuff, but that seems to be optional

George Romero

Oct 5, 2018
the lack of boss fights is real issue, but if you the game dont click on you until now, you should drop and play another game.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
For me it didn't improve if I'm honest, and I was left with a feeling that it lacked epic fights. It felt like a chore to finish.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
The first boss fight against
the stranger
blew my fucking mind. If that is absolute garbage I don't know anything anymore.

Hooks

Oct 27, 2017
If you don't like it now I don't believe you're going to magically start enjoying it in the next few chapters.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
I thought the game peaked in the first hour or so, that was 11/10, the rest was a 8/10 for me.

Liam1884

Oct 30, 2017
The first fight against the Stranger is one of the best moments in a game in 2018.

Absolute garbage? Lol, nope.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
After beating the dragon boss, I also realized how much I missed the epic boss fights from the previous GoW games. I really hope they bring them back in the next game!

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
The first fight against the Stranger is one of the best moments in a game in 2018.

Absolute garbage? Lol, nope.
I will never understand this opinion. It's not even a real boss fight. You can't do it perfectly and avoid the constant interruptions for cutscene nonsense. It's an awful boss fight.

The Valkyries are the only redeeming thing that game has combat wise.

Oct 27, 2017
the stranger
blew my fucking mind. If that is absolute garbage I don't know anything anymore.

Funny you should say that as I played exactly up to that point and then dropped the game due to boredom. I hope to eventually get back into it, but the other games in the series always grabbed me pretty quickly—not this one.

Liam1884

Oct 30, 2017
I will never understand this opinion. It's not even a real boss fight. You can't do it perfectly and avoid the constant interruptions for cutscene nonsense. It's an awful boss fight.

Cutscene nonsense? Haha, you were clearly looking for something different then, that this game didn't offer you.

It's a phenomenal fight.

Agent 47

Banned
Jun 24, 2018
Yeh the bosses aren't the best in the series, but to stop playing a game because the boss fights aren't mind blowing is a bit ridiculous. They're good bosses just not as epic, frequent and over the top as previous games.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Funny you should say that as I played exactly up to that point and then dropped the game due to boredom. I hope to eventually get back into it, but the other games in the series always grabbed me pretty quickly—not this one.
So u played the first 20 min. Of the game and u dropped it ? U do know first boss fight is 10 to 20 min from the start of the game right ?

Flevance

Oct 28, 2017
I dropped it myself and went back to it after two weeks maybe, it isn't bad, just a bit overrated. It went from 8/10 to 9/10 for me tho when I jumped into the side content.. and yeah, there were some cool bosses in there

OP
OP
Castlemadeofsand
Oct 30, 2017
I see people really liked the first boss fight. Can you guys elaborate on why it was good other than the cutscenes and it looking cool?

The combat was shallow, you had no skills at this point. It was just you slashing him or punching him over and over with the occasional block or dodge. It lasted too long and was just repetitive and you had no tools at your disposal to make it interesting

Just like the trolls or other boss fights, there was nothing to make it interesting

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Funny, I dropped the game right after the dragon boss haha
The games just wasn't doing anything for me honestly at that point. It was feeling a bit repetitive and really not enjoying the gameplay.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Got the game upon release and played it up until beating the dragon boss. I liked aspects of the game but it hasn't gripped me like the previous games which were more epic and fun. Im wondering if it's worth finishing the game up. So far the story is okay but not that riveting, the combat can be cool too, but the bosses are absolute garbage. I don't know how they managed to make such fun bosses in the other games and not here

EDit: I also don't like the crafting and rpg stuff, but that seems to be optional
Well if you expect more spectacular fight, forget it. This GOW is more hardcore and less epic like the past. But I admit, bosses fights really missed me. And the gore galore too.

Carbone

Oct 27, 2017
not really.. it gets worst.
I was blown away by this game after being skeptical before release.. then after 5 hours in i found it pretty boring with a huge lack of scale. Getting to the Bifrost, seeing all those realms gate and exploring only a few was a huge letdown to me. Why would you do this to the player ?
Yes the game looks amazing, combat is great.. but i didn't find in this game what i'm expecting from a GoW game. ( Action, gore, epicness, huge scale environments).

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017

Stranger boss fight is the best fight in gaming.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
The cutscenes, constant chatting, and story were what kept me going until the end. I didn't like the RPG elements too, and I'm a huge RPG fan.

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
I'm playing through it right now. It's my first God of War game.
The production values are insane. I love the music. I love the designs. I love the combat. I love the Kratos-Atreus dynamic. I love love love this magical world.
It grabbed me from the very beginning. Maybe it's just not for you. Thankfully, there's no shortage of great games these days. Play something else. Life's short :P

Edit: Opting out of this thread now. Don't want the game ruined. I swear, Era hates videogames.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
I think it's the best gow game but the constant loot/treasure really drags the game pacing down. Menus are bad too and they "princess in another castle" the story one too many times. As a whole the characters and story we're good and worth the time but if you're not enjoying it or expect something closer to the originals it might not be for you.

archenemy

Mar 21, 2018
I was totally skeptic about GoW when my gf bought it on launch. I lost my taste for big AAAs in the last decade, except for the occasional Nintendo's tentpoles and I just didn't want to see them do to northern mythology what they did to the greek.

A few weeks ago, she restarted her playthrough and I made the effort to pay attention and play with her, and I've been very pleasantly surprised by the game. It was hard for me to get into it in the first few hours but bit by bit I got quite entranced: the rhythm of the combat, the plot, the art direction... it's not a perfect game but it really excels at everything it tries to do. It's definitely one of the best gaming experiences I've had this year.

So in my opinion: give it time. I'm _really_ glad I did.

-PyramidSong

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
I see people really liked the first boss fight. Can you guys elaborate on why it was good other than the cutscenes and it looking cool?

The combat was shallow, you had no skills at this point. It was just you slashing him or punching him over and over with the occasional block or dodge. It lasted too long and was just repetitive and you had no tools at your disposal to make it interesting

Just like the trolls or other boss fights, there was nothing to make it interesting
Your description of the fight can be apply to any boss fight in previous gow games. It was fun and epic. Thats all.

OP
OP
Castlemadeofsand
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, I've played Rising and I think it's a masterpiece. It's possible to like both approaches.
It is, like I said I like the combat in this game, it's unique and the axe mechanic is awesome. But they haven't used it in interesting ways at all. The throwing mechanic could have been used in a ton of cool ways for the bosses (maybe it is later?) but from what I played they did nothing with it.

Carbone

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, there's a lot more to that fight than just how incredible it all looks.
like what ? please elaborate !
because as many pointed out, i also think it's pretty poor from a gameplay perspective. i was blown away the 1st time, thn on my second run i realized it was just a graphical showcase.

wondermagenta

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne
I mean, there's a lot more to that fight than just how incredible it all looks.
And what's that? You're mashing R1 and when you're not doing that you're pressing X to dodge. It's not like there's any strategic value in varying up your attacks (which is true for most of the game). Compared to fights like Jeanne or Vergil it's a complete joke.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I think the game is amazing but if you're not into it by the time you've reached the dragon boss then you're probably out. It doesn't change a great deal beyond that.

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
the stranger

Really? See I felt as if that section was indicative of the game's overall pacing issues, since the fight goes on for literally 10m to the point of unsurprising tedium even after half a mountain gets dropped on the guy—because I'm sure that worked as Kratos is limping away.

Fantastically produced game, but not for me. I'll probably skip the next entry.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017

It's a great game overall, but lack of good bosses and set pieces like previous games is bummer. Best bosses in the game are optional (Valkyries).

OP
OP
Castlemadeofsand
Oct 30, 2017
So for people saying to drop it, is it safe to assume the story doesn't really get more interesting? Not worth seeing that aspect to the end?

I like the magical stuff like the turtle and giant snake and the head of that dude that I have. If there's more of that I might like it