• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you play your PS3?

• Everyday

Votes: 14 1.2%
  • Once a week

Votes: 57 4.7%
  • Once or twice a month

Votes: 232 19.1%
  • Now there's a name I haven't heard in a long time

Votes: 430 35.4%
  • I have 3 PS3's

Votes: 55 4.5%
  • I don't own a PS3

Votes: 136 11.2%
  • Once or twice a year

Votes: 290 23.9%

• Total voters

KilleyMC

Oct 27, 2017
Montevideo , Uruguay
No, it's still connected to one of my TVs and I've the games at hand, but no desire to play them. Doesn't help that I believe its the worst PS by far and I liked maybe 2 or 3 games at most.

Rabid-Coot

Oct 27, 2017
A few times a year to play whats left of the old PS+ offerings, its down to fewer than 30 so I should have a few years of usage left.

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
Yep. It's my main Bluray player, and I'm currently replaying CoD World At War. There are still a lot of games (and exclusives) that I want to play, and the games are really cheap, too. I'm even thinking of getting a second one as a backup.

Xenogears_X

Banned
Jan 22, 2020
I would but the GPU solder or something melted and separated the die from the mobo and now it doesn't turn on =\ such a shame too because it was a day1 phat ps3 with hardware BC and I played a ton of my ps1/2 games on it.

LiS Matt

Jan 19, 2018
I have a bunch of "I really should go back and play" titles for it.
The last time I played it was probably a couple of months ago, after I got an urge to play a horse racing game and saw there hasn't really been any (at least localised) since champion jockey

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
Yup still do OP and after i found out you could combine a Brook converter with the DualShock4 back button attachment, I'm even more energized to do so now.
Things I'm replaying on it:

RE3
Killzone2
Armored Core V
Bionic Commando RE and 2009
Demon Souls

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
Nope. I think it's been unplugged and boxed since my last move, which was nearly three years ago. Don't recall the last time I played it except for AC Rogue when it released.

KingdomKey

Oct 27, 2017
My HDMI output broke on my PS3 last year. So nope, haven't played any for a good while. Although I have spent some time playing PS3 games on PsNow now and then.

Oct 27, 2017
The Ether
Ive been on a PS3 revival for the last week or two and having an absolute blast. So many great games that still hold up. I hope Sony finds a way to bring PS3 back compat to the ps5.

Solary

Banned
Nov 20, 2019
Sorry to bump but cant start threads yet.

Just wanted to ask about a original PS3 60GB console i have purchased at a flea market and it has quite a early firmware on in 2.80.

Is it worth not updating firmware?

Otherwise works fine

Jan 2, 2018
I just recently did a little PS3 project- I have upgraded the HDD to a Samsung 1TB 860 EVO (overkill I know) and Installed ALL of my digital library (which mostly consists of PS3 exclusives) nice and organized and now I'm going through some games which I never played before
like Infamous 1/2,Tokyo Jungle,Heavenly Sword and Folklore. PS3 is a special console and I even have some PS2 classics installed like Persona 3 and the 2 Maximo games.

MrChillaxx

Banned
Jan 13, 2018
Mostly my GF, old PS1 stuff from her childhood, Super Puzzle Fighter 2, Catherine and Gran Turismo 6.
I mostly play some Afterburner (wich needs to be ported to every console for the rest of time)

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Does it still play the most recent Blu Ray discs? My Samsung BD player stopped playing discs with the most recent drm keys years ago because Samsung stopped supporting the system because reasons (capitalism).

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
Been playing a lot of niche games that I missed during its life cycle lately.

In the last few months I played and platinumed:
- Enslaved: Odyssey to the West
- Nier
- Drakengard 3
- Deadly Premonition
- No More Heroes: Heroes Paradise

All these games are extremely janky with shitty performance lol but I stuck with them and really enjoyed them.

I also bought a bunch of games for it that are still in my backlog:
- Skate 3
- Folklore
- Puppeteer
- Hakuna Mattata
- Aquanaut's Holiday
- Sengoku Basara HD Collection (Japanese)
- Resident Evil 6

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
I use it at least once a week.
Still many games for it that I want t play :)

I find my self using PS Now more and more though, I can often not see the difference like with RDR.
Other games like Nier is only on physical media.

Solary

Banned
Nov 20, 2019
Does it still play the most recent Blu Ray discs? My Samsung BD player stopped playing discs with the most recent drm keys years ago because Samsung stopped supporting the system because reasons (capitalism).

Not tried yet, tried a couple of older games and loaded fine.

just googling and I think 2.80 firmware is pre OtherOS removal but not sure

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Mine is long gone. But I hope the PS5 is BC with digital games. I used to run a gaming site during that generation and I have like a hundred digital PS3 games. Would be nice to play them again on modern hardware.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
No but for whatever reason I cant bring myself to sell it. Most of its exclusives * of interest to me* got remastered. I have some Ps1 classics but I prefer to play them on the Vita. Last time I turned it on, the UI and controller really didn't feel good to me.

When I think about it though, I've never owned a console longer than the current slim model I have, which was purchased in 2011. All of my consoles before and after I would have sold off long before 9 years, even if I repurchased another system down the line.

Nov 4, 2017
Probably haven't used mine since 2011... and back then, it was to watch a bluray.

Stopped using it because it was modded and didn't want to update it.

Deleted member 29237

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Still my main gaming console (Wii is in the loft as I use Dolphin now). At the moment I'm playing Gran Turismo 6, PoP Sands of Time HD, Resident Evil CVX HD, and Parasite Eve. Also looking forward to 3D Dot Game Heroes, MGS4 and replaying Killzone 2 (what a game!)

Edit: also regularly play Metal Slug 1-3 as they never get old!

Double edit: also I have Nier in the pile along with loads of other digital games I got mega cheap over the years. Maybe one day I'll finally finish Chrono Cross and Dino Crisis...

Deleted member 4262

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's still hooked up to my TV but I haven't used it much in recent years. If PS5 has BC I'm gonna have to pull the plug. Makes me kinda sad to think about. :(

ConVito

Oct 16, 2018
As long as it's the only way to play the second best Tales game (Xillia 2) I'll keep playing it.

Nov 1, 2017
My launch PS3 is still going strong, so I'm using it to play through Raw Danger on PS2. It's my go to console for catching up or revisiting older games that slipped through the cracks.

Last edited:

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Well, yes there is? Money? It would sell at least a few million copies at the worst, and would likely boost multiplayer if it introduced new RDR1 themes content tonRDR2 so that would make them more money too
If they didn't do it is because they feel there's no reason to. And rdr2 improves on everything the first game did, so, yeah, there's really no reason to spend money on it. It's better they do new games that waste time and money on remasters/remakes.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Saw a gif of Killzone 2 in the Sony OT and it made me look over at the place my consoles are. My PS3 is there but needs a few cables connected for it to fire up. Killzone 2 is in a box in the next room. So I almost played my PS3 today. Still some hours left in the day so it could still happen. Will see how the night pans out. So no I don't play it regularly but it's there and with some minimal work I can play it.

Oct 27, 2017
If they didn't do it is because they feel there's no reason to. And rdr2 improves on everything the first game did, so, yeah, there's really no reason to spend money on it. It's better they do new games that waste time and money on remasters/remakes.
They literally end the game where the first one begins. You're telling me using existing assets and adding more to sell a $40+ remake for players who never played the original, isn't a good business idea? It could even be an expansion to RDR2. They'd spend significantly less $ on it with the already existing content than a full remake.

Oct 26, 2017
Nah, as soon as I got the PS4, I handed it down to my little sisters, who sold it for an XB1. There wasn't much of anything on there that made me wanna keep it

Turnabout Sisters

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I like to play the Project Diva games, MGS, and a while back games like vanquish that hasn't been ported. Though i honestly prefer to play MGS on PS2 for CRT. And that god tier project diva game came out on PS4, so.... it pretty much collects dust, sadly. What a great console. Not very hard to have a good time while you're on that.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
I didn't take the PS3 when I moved out. My dad still uses the PS3 as his Netflix driver and to re-play Uncharted 1 every few months.

OneThirtyEight

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Very rarely since i lend it out to my dad who just casualy plays NHL and runs over people in GTA. Sometimes i take it home though to play some old favourites.

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
They literally end the game where the first one begins. You're telling me using existing assets and adding more to sell a $40+ remake for players who never played the original, isn't a good business idea? It could even be an expansion to RDR2. They'd spend significantly less $ on it with the already existing content than a full remake.
If it were, they'd had done it already. So, yeah, they don't think so and I don't either. I'd rather they focus on new games and I'm glad that's what they're doing. The previous game is perfectly playable on the x1x. We don't need a remake at all

menacer

Dec 15, 2018
There are definitely some games I want to replay again once I have the time. I have had that copy of Demons Souls sitting on my desk for almost a year now that I have wanted to replay but haven't found the time between other games and such.

gar3

Oct 25, 2017
New Cumberland, PA USA
This is my son's (12) main console for whatever reason. We have plenty of choices but he enjoys gaming on the PS3. I recently bought a ton of physical PS3 software for cheap that I have on XB360 as well as Steam/GoG simply so he can enjoy it on his system of choice. In fact tomorrow is his birthday and he'll be getting a brand new copy of Red Dead Redemption. Again, he could easily play it on the Xbox One X on a 4K monitor but, nope, he wants to be on The Triple, heh. More power to him, I say.

EDIT - I will say that ever since I purchased a brand new DualShock 4 for him he's played the PS3 a lot more. You never realize how much a better (in my opinion) controller will make the experience that much more fun overall.