• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you play your PS3?

• Everyday

Votes: 14 1.2%
  • Once a week

Votes: 57 4.7%
  • Once or twice a month

Votes: 232 19.1%
  • Now there's a name I haven't heard in a long time

Votes: 430 35.4%
  • I have 3 PS3's

Votes: 55 4.5%
  • I don't own a PS3

Votes: 136 11.2%
  • Once or twice a year

Votes: 290 23.9%

• Total voters

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
Never had one during that gen, so I've been playing it quite a bit over the past few years to catch up on games I missed.

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
I only have an 80GB model, never upgraded the HDD, so I haven't played it in probably 9-10 months. It's sooooo slow that it destroys any desire I have to play the stuff I have for it. :/

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Nice LoadingReadyRun reference, though sadly I only have two PS3s.

I still use them occasionally though, played through Nier at the tail end of 2019. And I used it as a DVD player a few days ago since it was the nearest console for me to grab and hook up.

prodyg

Oct 28, 2017
Sold mine in 09 and don't really miss it. Got an Xbox 360 and never looked back. Any Gems that I missed got remastered on the PS4 (Last of us, Uncharted 3).

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Yes.

After tinkering, I made my Slim manage to play retro SNES, PSP, PS1, and even PS2 games!

I finally able to play undub Tales of the Abyss again.

Also able to fix/passed the Choral Castle freeze glitch and continue normally.

*SHUDDER* I don't want to ever experience that kind freeze again...

Last edited:

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Not at all, though there are a few games I have on it that I wish I finished/started.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Last time was in 2017 so not that long ago, back compat is gonna be a huge deal for me with ps5

dreamstation

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I've got plenty of games for the PS3 that I'm yet to play but the thing is just so bloody slow in comparison to the PS4 and the controller feels weird. Can you use PS4 controller on the PS3? Might have to try. Hope I can play those games on the PS5... c'mon Sony.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I sold my PS3 last year after playing through the last of the backlog of games I had for it. Haven't missed it for a moment; it was a real chore of a console to go back to and use.

gebler

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I have a PS3 backlog I'm picking games from every now and then. Less and less, though, and last year I only played one smallish game: Vessel.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I cannot officially retire my PS3 until I actually play every game I own for it.

Unofficially, who knows, but I did finish Yakuza: Dead Souls last year so it's still got some life in it and it's still plugged into my home theatre setup.

The Shape

Nov 7, 2017
Brazil
Yes, probably once a week since I bought mine last October. It's been great revisiting the amazing library of the 7th gen.

Leeway

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
I have the one that's back compat with PS2 and honestly, I feel like I would play it more often if it didn't sound like a 747 taking off.

Slime

Oct 25, 2017
I use it all the time for Blu-ray/YouTube/Netflix because the fan is not as noisy as the PS4's. Haven't played a game on it in a few years tho.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
Every month or so, got stuff on there that I don't have or are not elsewhere, but man is it a pain to get around. Basic XMB is great, but updating stuff is such a mess, or navigating folders with a lot of data.

Dec 4, 2018
I reacquired a full Rock Band set and some of the games and have been enjoying the Ps3 again. It doesn't look too bad on my 4k TV. It's a bit of a pain though since I have to switch it out with the Ps4 to play it since I don't have space for it permanently.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Heres my answer...
If PS4 had Backwards Compatibility, I would play PS3 games all the time. Then my answer would most likely be "Everyday". But right now it's a bit of a hassle to use. My surround sound is connected directly into my PS4 Pro via optical, my tv box is connected to my surround sound by HDMI. My PS3 is connected to a Samsung Bluetooth Soundbar. So when I use my PS3 , I hate the Soundbar sound, it's not as great as 5.1 obviously.. so yeah... right now, I use it maybe once a month. But think about using it everyday and lament the fact that PS4 doesn't have backwards Compatibility :(

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I don't own a PS3.

I might be tempted to buy one if I can ever find one in great condition for like $50, though. I wanna play Tokyo Jungle and Third Strike Online again.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Sold my PS3 in 2014 and I regret it.
There were lots of games that I should play but can't with PS4. From Killzone 2, R&C games and Puppeteer to MotorStorm games and Demon's Souls.

Nazgûl

Banned
Dec 16, 2019
Never had one. It's the only PS console i never bought. I really hope the PS5 can play PS3 discs. Must be really cool go to a store to pick some physical PS3 games.
God of War Ascension would be my first puchase ot maybe the entire Greek saga tbh.

Father Kratos

Oct 30, 2017
Mainly to play The Orange Box and Portal 2 every 2 years or so.
Few others too -
Sly collection & Sly 4
Puppeteer
No no Kuni
Resistance 3 etc

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
I'm in the phase of going through old hidden gems that I missed on PS3.

Last year I finished Enslaved: Odyssey to the West, Nier and Drakengard 3.

Currently just started Deadly Premonition Director's Cut.

Looking to starting No More Heroes Heroes' Paradise afterwards.

Kaim Argonar

Dec 8, 2017
At this point I'd rather emulate it than suffer through that slug. The last time I did I couldn't believe how annoyingly slow everything was.

Joe White

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Not since 2014, as at that point I had played every game I owned on it and got better bluray-player with next gen consoles.
So, it went to my brothers family. (And hopefully I can do similar thing with PS4 this or early next year).

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
There are some games I'd definitely like to play, but my launch day console has had a YLOD for a few years. Probably should repair it at some point.

retrosega

Jun 14, 2019
I still have my superslim PS3 hooked mainly for 2D Beat 'Em Ups, NFS Hot Pursuit (2010) and the occasional Motorstorm blast. It's also a very decent Bluray player.

Love the PS3 and always will.

Humidex

Oct 27, 2017
Ended up donating my PS3 slim to the children's ward of my local hospital.

(obviously couldn't donate my copies of CoD and GTA IV in the process, lol)

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
In 2019 on PS3 I played about 10 hours each of:
-Atelier Shallie
-Trinity: Souls of Zill 'Oll
-Drakengard 3
-Ragnarok Odyssey Ace

I own about 30 physical and maybe 40 digital games and do have some I want to play that I never have, or haven't much like Infamous 2, Ar Tornelico, Tales if Symphonia HD, White Knight Chronicles etc etc

Problem is I have too many current games coming out that I don't get back to the PS3 and earlier as often as I'd like.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Since it still has several Yakuza games I can't play on PS4 (Kenzan, Dead Souls 1&2 HD) yeah, I keep it plugged in and its still used. Plus for all the last gen Capcom games that aren't either BC on Xbox One or ported already.