• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How do you pocket your monsters?

• I plan all of my Pokemon before turning the game on, even their movesets and natures!

Votes: 21 9.5%
  • I keep some Pokemon in mind while playing but generally make it up as I go

Votes: 147 66.5%
  • My team changes as many times as GameFreak remakes Kanto

Votes: 53 24.0%

• Total voters

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
Somewhere between the first two options. I definitely look over all the new Pokemon and pick out six I like that don't overlap in types, but then as I'm playing I'll often grab more and rotate through 8+ Pokemon.

ultramooz

Oct 27, 2017
Paris, France
I dont plan anything - and that's also why I usually stop playing before the elite 4.
The games have often a difficulty spike at victory road or the thing before elite 4, and it makes me realise my team is inadequate. Happened in the last 3 games.

That's also how I finished one of the games with a stupid team composed of a super high level Farfetch'd, one legendary, one starter, and a few other cute creatures.

OP
OP
Mekanos

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I generally keep a plan in mind but if I run into something I want then I catch it.
Also, I'm honestly curious as to why people act as if Game Freak remakes Kanto all the time (the poll option). Kanto has only been re-made twice in its entirity and it was included as a post-game bonus for one other set of games that was then remade. Given how old it is I think it makes sense that it has two remakes. If it wasn't a bonus mode in G/S/C it likely would not have been remade in Gens 2 and 4. Just a side-note since I see this a lot and I've never understood the argument behind it.

It was a joke about being in four gens in a row and then Let's Go. It ain't that deep, lol.

Dogo Mojo

Oct 27, 2017
Not really, the only two Pokemon that have and will always remain on my roster regardless are Snorlax and Dragonite, if I can't find a new water type that I like my go to is Squirtle. Other than those three I'll always just play around with any Pokémon that peak my interest.

I know a lot of people are pissed about the Pokédex stuff in Sword & Shield and I get the frustration but I do like that itcan make new Pokémon stand out more.

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
I'm pretty loose. Sometimes pokemon I want aren't viable in the main campaign due to the level up moveset being poor (Minior) or it turns out you only get a revealed pokemon near the end of the game (Type:Null).

I don't even plan for replays, outside of avoiding the same team I used before.

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
I only pick the starter beforehand, and the team builds as I play the game. The first few Pokémon I catch stay with me for a while, then I keep replacing as I see which Pokémon magically became stronger than others, or which I want to evolve, or just simply which one I like more than others.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Hell no.

0 interest in the competitive side of things and have no problem mixing it up between playthroughs, that's what keeps the game interesting.

CaptainK

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
Besides the starter, there's usually one or two new Pokemon that I think looks cool and want on my team ASAP. The rest of the team I fill with whatever I catch that covers the remaining type strength/weaknesses.

Shoozle

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
UK
For Gen V, I definitely made sure to use Trubbish because my dad is a bin man. I nicknamed Trubbish Dad. I usually go off design. But sometimes you discover an unexpected "bro" as I think the community calls it. That in Gen V belonged to Seismitoad.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
my party is always ONE awesome dude... and 5 chumps that need to evolve.. I'm out to get that living dex always

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
I built on the fly back in the day, never getting attached to any except for my starter. Definitely am gonna continue that going into Sword/Shield since the last Pokémon I played was Ruby/Sapphire

Armite

Mar 30, 2018
I don't bother with natures, but I absolutely plan my team and tend to have some idea of their movesets prior to playing (although these can change). It's part of the fun/hype for me. This goes back to Gens 1 and 2 where posters, magazines and strategy guides just unleashed the entire roster. That said, once I've decided, I try not to look too closely at other unrevealed 'Mons.

I rarely replay Pokémon games so the idea of a more optimised second run isn't really relevant to me.

milkyway

One Winged Slayer
May 17, 2018
I am a hyper planner, I have everything planned out before the game comes out usually or right as it comes out, and I be sure to keep competitive aspects in mind because I like longevity for my Pokeymans. I might change something midgame if it seems right and fits in with the scheme of things. At the rate things are going now I'm dying because I don't even know what game I'm going to get let alone a mere fraction of available and new Pokemon!

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
I usually have a few favorites in mind before going in, but I always make it up as I go when I start playing.

Kenai

Oct 26, 2017
I have a few favorites that I like to use if they show up, but usually plan my team around my starter. Usually choose based on how much I like the design and team comp after that, and usually try to get a non bad nature (no Adamant Gastly ect) but still pretty chill I think

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
Second option for the first time through, first option for subsequent runs. Haven't done multiple runs for quiet a few generations now though.