• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How do you pocket your monsters?

• I plan all of my Pokemon before turning the game on, even their movesets and natures!

Votes: 21 9.5%
  • I keep some Pokemon in mind while playing but generally make it up as I go

Votes: 147 66.5%
  • My team changes as many times as GameFreak remakes Kanto

Votes: 53 24.0%

• Total voters

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
This can apply to first playthroughs or replays or both.

Pretty much since gen 4 I tend to start a Pokemon game knowing what Pokemon I want, usually even what moves I give them for maximum coverage. I prefer to not waste time in mons that I know I'll dump in 2-3 badges, with rare exceptions like not having any Pokemon or moves strong against key trainers. Sometimes I'll realize mid-play acquiring a certain Pokemon isn't worth it (one time I got a Slowking instead of a Slowbro when I realized how bad Slowpoke's stats are until it evolves at level 37), but the vast majority I start with a full game plan in mind and stick to it. Teambuilding and organizing is one of my favorite things about the series so it's satisfying when you catch your final Pokemon to complete your plan.

Dec 2, 2017
No but I try to make every play through unique, as before I've had tendencies to make every team quite similar. Like in Sinnoh I always seemed to have starter, starly, Shinx, which got kinda boring.

Ryutaryi

Oct 25, 2017
Never. My team usually consists of whatever I find and catch first, and only gets replaced if I need a new type or if they aren't performing well.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
Maybe the starter, but that's pretty much it. I'm not too into Pokemon's mainline games, though.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I know what starter I'm going with. That's about it.

OP
OP
Mekanos

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
No but I try to make every play through unique, as before I've had tendencies to make every team quite similar. Like in Sinnoh I always seemed to have starter, starly, Shinx, which got kinda boring.

I try to do the same thing, sometimes though it's hard to avoid coming back to certain mons, especially in small dexes like Diamond/Pearl. I did a Diamond replay recently and tried to think of any flyer I could use before Staraptor again and then just gave up and used it again.

MGPanda

Feb 25, 2018
The starter is basically the only fixed position in my team. The rest can change as they arrive. Also, I don't know if it counts as planning, but I only use Pokémon from that specific region, always forcing myself to make up some variety.

Sleve McDichael

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
With the last few Pokemon games, I started planning every Pokemon that was going to make my team, what order I'd catch them, when I'd evolve them and what moves they'd use.
I recently discovered that was taking a lot of the fun out of the game for me, so I won't be doing that for Sword & Shield.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yep. Usually with New Pokemon of the Gen (or of the original Gen of the remake)

I did differently in Ultra Moon though. Went with whoever I found which was fun, though I did still settle on six Pokemon to stick with.

Yinyangfooey

Oct 27, 2017
Yup, I have a few rules for my team

1. Must be dual type
2. Must be a Pokemon NATIVE to that generation
3. No types can be repeated

Anabolex

Mar 23, 2018
I already have my shiny pure bred killing machines ready, which won't be able to use untill Pokemon Home releases...

Eclipse

Jan 31, 2018
Germany
I plan all of my Pokemon before turning the game on, even their movesets and natures!
This doesn't make much sense because they most likely won't be competitively viable due to bad EV/IVs. But I guess it might give you an easier time clearing the game. I used to plan my Pokémon only when replaying.

Tanooki

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Always with the starters, and I usually have a couple new Pokémon I know I'll want in my regular lineup.

I'm currently debating if I want my mainstay Sirfetch'd to be shiny, perfect values, or the first one I encounter.

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
Depends if it's my first time playing a new gen. If it is, I just make my team as I discover the pokémons. But if I want to replay an older game, then I usually think of a team before (in a casual way though: I choose based on who looks cool, or my mood, or if I want a certain theme in my team)

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I usually plan it out but this time with SWSH I wanna catch things as I go and see what I like in the moment.

OP
OP
Mekanos

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
This doesn't make much sense because they most likely won't be competitively viable due to bad EV/IVs. But I guess it might give you an easier time clearing the game. I used to plan my Pokémon only when replaying.

I don't plan specific natures but I at least try to avoid bad ones. Like I'm not gonna use a Modest Scizor.

singo

Nov 5, 2017
I try to stick with pokémon from the generation I'm playing. I also try to not reuse pokémon if it's not my first playthrough.

Oct 25, 2017
Whenever I replay the Blue version I ALWAYS use the same team as in my childhood.

Charizard
Pidgeot
Butterfree
Raichu
Vaporeon
New or MissingNo

I've never used a different team in my life.

Kamala

Sep 22, 2019
On the first run through not really, starter aside. I always get an idea of which starter I want in advance. Otherwise, I usually go for what looks cool/cute. Now a second time or remake would be a different story, I know the pokemon and I've got ideas on who I want to use then.

Oct 25, 2017
If I have seen some cool Pokemon reveals before starting the game, I keep those in mind while playing but otherwise I don't make any plans on my first run.

KraytarJ

Nov 14, 2017
On replays I tend to plan out a team, on first playthroughs I'll wing it with an idea of a handful of Pokémon I might want to use.

Jun 23, 2019
I'm a creature of habit. I usually try to make a team of:

- Charizard
- Alakazam
- Butterfree
- Gyarados
- Pikachu/Raichu
- Gengar

In any Pokémon game. Then depending on who I like from the game, I substitute out accordingly. I already can tell this team would get crushed in Sword/Shield so I'm preparing myself lol.

Subnats

One Winged Slayer
Nov 13, 2017
Ireland
On a first playthrough I generally just go with whatever appeals to me but on replays I generally go a more specific team. On my last Heartgold replay I went in with the plan of using Pokemon I never would otherwise which ended up being Meganium, Furret, Togekiss, Ditto, Umbreon and Electrode, which made the playthrough a decent bit more challenging and enjoyable.

Oct 25, 2017
I tend to have a few favorites in mind and otherwise go with the flow. I'm playing a ROM hack of Ultra Sun (Supernova Sun and good lord it is so much better than the vanilla game) and kind of accidentally landed on a bulky offense team that I'm having fun with. Most of my team I caught before or immediately after the first trial and levelled up/evolved:
  • Primarina
  • Togekiss
  • Chesnaught
  • Malamar
  • Alolan Muk
Only new addition is Alolan Marowak but I also kind of want Infernape since that's my favorite 'mon. Don't want to give up Marowak either though since it's cool and region exclusive. I think I just stick with the early game stuff because I hate dropping them out of the party lol.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I tend to try to come up with a rough-outline. But it adapts depending on the game and how easily available certain mons are.

For example, I was thinking about Alolan Sandshrew for Sun and Moon, but it generally came in way too late and the team was, and I grew attached to Talonflame at that point so I kept him (I tend to go for new pokemon in each region, but I went with Hawlucha over Talonflame in X/Y, assuming there would be a Z version, there wasn't, so Talonflame became an honorary member instead, Talonflame eventually got the final blow in the Elite 4 with a Me First copying a Darkest Lariat for the Championship title).

Super Chuleta

Oct 30, 2017
I always try to make a different team for my initial run then when I get serious about battling I make a bunch of teams

Deleted member 49438

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 7, 2018
I tend to build to cover as many type weaknesses as I can, so I typically start out trying to figure out which of the flying & water type pokemon have dual types (for surf & fly respectively, at least in past games). After that it's just filling in the gaps based on people's evolutions and movesets. #Grookeygang

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I only have one rule during the story: all Pokemon must be new to me. I did it because I always ended up playing with the same 10 Pokemon over and over again.

OP
OP
Mekanos

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I also kind of want Infernape since that's my favorite 'mon.

Mine too!

source.gif

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I pretty much always play with the nuzlocke rule set, so very much a plan as I go, with some hopes I'll get this or that.

Unkindled

Nov 27, 2018
I usually plan with slots for certain type of pokemon then try to find what best pokemon I can find to fill that slot which mean's changing it till the end of the game while sticking with pokemon I end up liking.

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
I generally keep a plan in mind but if I run into something I want then I catch it.
Also, I'm honestly curious as to why people act as if Game Freak remakes Kanto all the time (the poll option). Kanto has only been re-made twice in its entirity and it was included as a post-game bonus for one other set of games that was then remade. Given how old it is I think it makes sense that it has two remakes. If it wasn't a bonus mode in G/S/C it likely would not have been remade in Gens 2 and 4. Just a side-note since I see this a lot and I've never understood the argument behind it.

MayorTortimer

May 27, 2018
I have my favorites that I tend to hunt around for when playing through a game, but I don't fully plan out/train my team until the post-game. Here's hoping that the post-game in Sword & Shield is solid! I love building teams, but couldn't really be bothered during Sun & Moon.