Do you plan to leave Twitter after the Elon Musk takeover?

• Yes, I'm gone

Votes: 497 15.8%
  • No, I'll stay

Votes: 1,114 35.4%
  • Can't leave because I'm already not there

Votes: 888 28.2%
  • Undecided

Votes: 645 20.5%

• Total voters

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
I'll most likely dial back my activity there, which wasn't much to begin with. I just used it to follow people who are most active there.

But of course I'll keep an eye out for what happens.

ZSeibar

Nov 2, 2017
Twitter is extremely toxic as it is now. I think it's gonna get worse now, so yeah I just deleted my account. Good riddance

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I'd want to know what this means for data privacy now that's it's a private company.

Most of the US has really weak data privacy laws, but in the EU I think the ownership model won't change much with how Twitter does or doesn't comply. GDPR legal experts will know better, but at least with my company we're a private US-based company that does a lot of business in Europe and we had to comply with most/all/salient parts of GDPR.

US wise, I wouldn't expect much will change, privately owned vs. shareholder owned companies doesn't change much for data privacy. But the US has basically no real data privacy laws, so we'll probably just get the European ones "for free" as they are applied out of convenience.

Beanbeany

Apr 25, 2022
I won't be leaving, but I don't personally post. I only follow a few artist and none of them are really out there with their opinions and just post art updates and tour info. So it doesn't really mean much to me, but I get it if people decide to no longer support the platform.

stn

Oct 28, 2017
I use it only to follow lawyers in my profession, that's it. So I'll continue that as I otherwise stay away from mostly everything else on Twitter (too much toxicity).

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
I see no reason for me to leave the way I use it I barely engage with any toxic accounts at all. I just navigate the stuff I like and if someone even does anything toxic in terms of comments or anything I just block them its pretty rare though. Theres so many things that can be added to twitter to make it more useful easier to use so I hope that gets added.

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Why would i? Unless he radically changes the platform i don't have a reason to leave.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
I'll stay, I barely use it but it's useful every once in a while. If Musk is gonna fix me not getting ppl trying to sell their Onlyfans to me daily that'll be good. Idk why I get a daily recommendation from someone half naked.

arachnidapple

Nov 5, 2021
I already deleted my Twitter account a month ago and seeing how shit's going down right now that was a good decision in foresight.

Macam

Nov 8, 2018
I'm out. I have zero interest in supporting that jackass in any shape, way, or form. Will just use it as a good reason to entirely get off all the social networks and regain some of my sanity. Already wiped and nuked all accounts.

GetLuffy

Alt-Account
Banned
Apr 19, 2022
I'll keep my burner account but as far as posting or being regular I haven't since I got banned for saying polio should have took Mitch when things got hot during the end of Cheetos run and I'll probably keep it that way.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll keep my burner account but as far as posting or being regular I haven't since I got banned for saying polio should have took Mitch when things got hot during the end of Cheetos run and I'll probably keep it that way.
Yeah I might just have a burner account to follow some accounts but I won't engage the site in anyway.

dgamemaster

Jun 29, 2020
Nope. I'm staying on. As much as the Elon purchase sucks, I use the site way too much to simply abandon it.

Instead, I'll probably join in on the protests that try to devalue the site. I think that's the way to really make Elon regret the purchase. Fuck Elon Musk

MonoStable

Oct 27, 2017
I really don't see twitter surviving, just need a successor to flock to. Any business or media personality or journalist would flee since now every tweet will be filled with vitriol against them, another platform opens up and they join and just have their Twitter account repost their main account.

FelRes

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
CA
Twitter is already filled with right wing bigots who aren't banned or moderated. Musk isn't changing much as far as that goes.
Pretty much, the people saying it could get worse are the same who doomscroll and post 20 Trump threads to the front page of era as if it's the actual end of the world. Just close twitter and go outside lol.

Oct 27, 2017
Never had an account to begin with. Do follow several people on the platform, but despite Twitter's incessant efforts to make account-less viewing more and more of a hassle I've more or less stuck with my guns on that account. If the people I follow jump ship, I'll just follow them.

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
I mostly only ever use it for following Japanese Gundam/plastic scale modelers anyway so Musk owning it won't really change that at all since I can't see any Japanese leaving over who owns it.

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had a mastodon account before. It's been great seeing the bump in activity and seeing a few familiar faces.

Any luck this will keep going for a bit longer and I won't have anything to lose by deleting twitter.

SixPointEight

Oct 28, 2017
Maybe. Ill do what I did with Facebook: I'll disengage with it for a while and if I'm not missing anything then it's gone.

Stall_19

Oct 27, 2017
No. I don't really post on twitter but I mainly follow accounts to keep up with my interests. So I don't really see my twitter experience changing one bit despite the change in ownership.

bdbdbd

Oct 27, 2017
Technically I have an account, never use it. The Musk takeover isn't going to affect my activity and I don't really see the distinction between him and the original founders who came up with the cesspool of an idea in the first place.

Stuntman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm barely in but i hope people don't handwave that the platform is going to be owned by a disgusting sack of shit (not that it wasn't that different before tho).

smurfx

Oct 25, 2017
twitter is still pretty good for updates on stuff like the situation in ukraine but it's not like i give a shit if twitter dies because of his takeover. i'll just use whatever replaces it.

Greenpaint

Oct 30, 2017
I will continue to use Twitter to advocate for, and spread values I believe in and there is nothing Elon can do about it outside outright banning me.

Well 90% of my twitter use is as a newsfeed for fast updates so that won't change either.

CDX

Oct 25, 2017
I only made a twitter account very, very recently when they started making people sign in to view tweets. I never had an account for years and now I only have an empty account that, has no followers, doesn't follow anyone, and used a random burner email address to sign up. I already block twitter's cookies and tracking with various browser extensions.

Sure if something else comes along I'll use it. But I'll probably just keep my empty account as is to view the occasional tweet if no replacement is ever made.

Oct 28, 2017
I'm just gonna keep using it like I was already using it — without giving much of a shit, not being too overly invested in it. Twitter was already super evil before, it will continue to be super evil under a super evil overlord, so, like, whatever, y'know?