• NO, UP IS UP AND DOWN IS DOWN

Votes: 855 51.1%
  • I'm a coward and refuse to answer

Votes: 15 0.9%

• Total voters

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
I'm surprised at how many people invert.

By the way, I can't help but look at this poll and wonder how it'd play out for certain basic accessibility features. I'm sure a lot of people end up being unable to play games due to the simple exclusion of one or two "minor" accessibility features.

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY
Flying games are super rare so it's not like it's a frequent change. That's how you control a plane, so it makes sense to use it for that. In any other scenario it is nonsensical though.

Nonsensical how?

Inverted was how I started playing FPS games in the late 90s, both on computer and on console. I can't imagine playing them any other way now. Playing with so-called "normal" controls seems nonsensical to *me*!

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I don't really see what's funny or unbelievable about it. Once you get used to something as fundamental as this, it's really hard to play any other way, and we all started under different circumstances and with different games.
It's not that people all aren't voting the same as I am that's surprising, it's that it's a near 50/50 split that's crazy. How was there such an even divide amongst preferences on a forum with people from different countries who are different ages? Where are the dividing lines that it worked out so evenly?

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Inverted forever. We need a link to that nothing shows this place has a bunch of old members thread, cause this is a perfect example of that.

I always find it funny those that change to invert only for flying, basically stating the hub on the screen chnages your perception, it's baffling to me. Take any game, make it first person and only have a cursor in the center of the screen. Make that cursor "walk" on the ground, most of you will say I play not inverted. Ok take that exact same setup, remove the ground and add a sky now you are magically going to play it using inverted? What sense does that make?

Cabal

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I'm inverted only but I'm in my early 40's. So many games forced inversion with Gamepads that I just can't get used to non inverted controls. Mouse and Keyboard is fine as normal for me though.

dodmaster

Apr 27, 2019
pull the character's head to tilt up, push forward to tilt down.

I couldn't believe it when 'kill it with fire' didn't give me an option to invert. I simply stopped playing before I'd even started the game.

OP
OP
oni-link

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
The poll is wild, it's been close to 50/50 the whole time so far and both sides have had a lead of 5-10 people at several points

dodmaster

Apr 27, 2019
It's not that people all aren't voting the same as I am that's surprising, it's that it's a near 50/50 split that's crazy. How was there such an even divide amongst preferences on a forum with people from different countries who are different ages? Where are the dividing lines that it worked out so evenly?
This thread is young. There's time yet.

Hoggle

Mar 25, 2021
Invert.

Grew up with a N64 so that's the correct way as far as I'm concerned. Everyone else is weird. I'm fine. Leave me alone.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
It's time to get another snapshot on this most pressing question

Is up, up, or is up, down?

Personally, I'm inverted for life, If want to look down I will always press the stick up. I was just born this way

Shout out to games that start by asking you you look up or down and then invert your controller automatically if you press an inverted direction on the stick
www.resetera.com

Z axis for looking up and down, do you have it inverted or not?

Some games rather annoyingly set this to o inverted by default, which means it's always the first thing I change. Y axis should be only be inverted for flight controls for me personally. Edit: It should be Y axis not Z, I had the two mixed up.

we literally had this a month ago

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised at how many people invert.

By the way, I can't help but look at this poll and wonder how it'd play out for certain basic accessibility features. I'm sure a lot of people end up being unable to play games due to the simple exclusion of one or two "minor" accessibility features.
We had many of these polls over the years and inverted won everytime.
Its time for people to realize. If you are not inverted your are the weird one instead of acting that people who are inverted are weird. :D

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I used to, but then I got tired of having to do it every time I went over to a friend's house or something, so I just got used to having it normal.

www.resetera.com

Z axis for looking up and down, do you have it inverted or not?

Some games rather annoyingly set this to o inverted by default, which means it's always the first thing I change. Y axis should be only be inverted for flight controls for me personally. Edit: It should be Y axis not Z, I had the two mixed up.

we literally had this a month ago
Already 100+ more responses in this poll because the thread creator actually used the right axis.

Stygian

Banned
Dec 11, 2021
You're damn right I do. I've been playing 3d games with the Y axis inverted since the 80s. No way I could change now, no matter I much time I put in to adjust. My brain and muscles have been trained permanently that stick up = look down and stick down = look up.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Nonsensical how?

Inverted was how I started playing FPS games in the late 90s, both on computer and on console. I can't imagine playing them any other way now. Playing with so-called "normal" controls seems nonsensical to *me*!
Because it isn't how movement works in any other scenario -- you might be trained to do it, but it's still nonsense. And yes, I've been playing games since the 80s as well.

Druffmaul

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
I invert Y. Because when I was a kid, ALL video games that had first person controls inverted Y and there was no way to change it. Because in those days most first person games were flight simulators whether they were space fighters in Starmaster or prop biplanes in Red Baron. But go ahead and mock me for being more experienced than you little marshmallow scrubs with your baggy pants and pagers and beanie babies.

rudeboyoslo

Jan 5, 2018
When I reviewed games for a living many years ago, I would literally give lower scores to the few games that wouldn't let me invert.

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
Personally I think inversion is based on age. Older people will probably be inverted because that's how most games used to be and there were fewer options to change it, while I think younger people would skew towards not inverted.

BTW I'm nearly 40 and inverted forever. I literally cannot play the other way.

Same age and I can't imagine ever using inverted. I definitely don't remember "most games" being that way.

Jay_AD

Oct 28, 2017
Only for flight games.

If I'm not in some kind of flying vehicle situation, up is up.

Biosnake

Oct 25, 2017
dana-white-thats-fucking-illegal.gif

sonofsamsonite

The one who likes mustard
Nov 1, 2017
Inverted gang for life.

I think this is an old-person thing. If you played, say, old PC flight sims and didn't do inverted you were doing it wrong.

REW

Oct 27, 2017
I invert, and it upsets me that Nintendo will leave out the option in some of it's biggest games (Looking at you Luigi's Mansion 3). Do better Nintendo...

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly surprised that it's a pretty even split so far. Always thought us Y inverted were a small minority.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
40 and I only invert flight controls. The thought of inverting Y on a FPS (especially with a mouse) gives me shivers.

The 'back of the camera' logic that I've seen as justification is an odd one considering most people don't invert both Y and X. I mean, I'm sure there is someone.

SheriffMcDuck

Oct 27, 2017
It's a logic question for me. The right stick controls where the character is looking. Not the back of their head.