• NO, UP IS UP AND DOWN IS DOWN

Votes: 855 51.1%
  • I'm a coward and refuse to answer

Votes: 15 0.9%

• Total voters
Oct 28, 2017
Australia
as an invert it's wild to me that it's as common as it is

It's a self-selecting poll so inverters will be flocking to it to be part of a tribe and everyone else will be mostly hit-or-miss. I say this as an inverter.

I think if we get someone from an Actual Games Dev come in with some user stats it's usually around 10-15%. There's a reason it's called 'normal'

toth3max

One Winged Slayer
Apr 17, 2018
Used to play inverted all my life up until a couple of years ago when I got tired of remapping the controls back and forth when I had friends over. Relearned to play with normal controls during two weeks back when Borderlands 3 was released and haven't looked back since.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Pff, those poll options are clearly showing OP's agenda 😉

tilt FORWARD is down
tilt BACKWARDS is up

An analogue stick is not a D-Pad. the stick moves along a rotational axis. 🤷‍♂️

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I do invert the y-axis. When and how it became how I control the camera in games is lost in the mists of time but I assume it was playing Chuck Yeager on a Joystick on a Commodore 64 or the like, that had something to do with it. I could be wrong though. But yes, if I cannot invert the Y I cannot play your game. I'm like someone who has never played a game before and has the camera facing the ground at all times. Fun fact which is not fun, my niece played inverted when she was visiting me, as of course all my games are inverted. When she got a console of her own, no inversion. I admire the plasticity of young brains. I am old now and have been inverted for so long that it and putting on subtitles and turning the music down to 75% are all pavlovian at this point when I fire up a new game.

Smoolio

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm invert though some amount of games there is sometime free crosshair targeting or maybe click and hold camera tilting which messes me up and makes me wish I was non-invert. But then I'd probable hate any game that also had flight.

NottJim

Animation Programmer
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
In the before times, when I used to go into the office, I would sometimes have to go to different people's desks and use their console/controller. Most of the time they were not inverted, so to make my life easier I just got used to using non-inverted controllers and that's how I roll these days.

The power of the default.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
We've played games at parties, or when friends come over, family holdays, etc... and the controls are almost always just given as default. I know new players struggle with dual analog like most do the first time they try it, but I do wonder how many were further put off even trying more games because they didn't realise they were natural inverted players and the default felt even more difficult to learn.

Nov 8, 2017
I've always been an inverted player but when the new Star Wars Lego game came out I played with my niece and had to play "normal". That plus there have been a number of times I've wanted to play something in Dreams and the person had no option for inverted so I couldn't play it so I tried to change my settings for all games going forward. It was super hard at first but after a few weeks I'm much better although in high stress situations I find my brain really wants to be inverted. Given how old I am and how long I've been an inverted user I figure I still have a ways to go but this video certainly helped put things in perspective.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't play first person stuff, so inverted whenever I can. I'm controlling a floating perspective, not moving a reticle.

Tanaka

Oct 27, 2017
Had no idea this many people inverted. Would have guessed only 10-15% inverted not nearly half.

Kent

Jun 4, 2018
Had no idea this many people inverted. Would have guessed only 10-15% inverted not nearly half.
It's a standard option in games for a reason.

I do wish it was brought forward as a default preset like how it was on a profile level on the Xbox 360 though - it not being as such kind of destroys a lot of cold-open immersive starts to games, when the very first thing you have to do is go into the options menu and adjust it.

Syinn

Jun 14, 2021
Prefer inverted but sometimes when a game doesn't ask I forget to change it and play up is up.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
It's a standard option in games for a reason.

I do wish it was brought forward as a default preset like how it was on a profile level on the Xbox 360 though - it not being as such kind of destroys a lot of cold-open immersive starts to games, when the very first thing you have to do is go into the options menu and adjust it.
Yep. Here's your character leaping into gameplay and we have this sweet choreographed music to go along with it and now you have to pause and fix our wrong non-inverted camera or worse yet we don't let you pause and you have to trip and stumble your way through our intro without being able to change any settings.

PS5 has a system-level checkbox for it but I think I've only seen first party games actually acknowledge and use that setting.

q4core

Feb 26, 2021
DMV
In my close group of 4 gamers, I'm the only one who plays inverted so I'm shocked it's almost 50/50.

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
Yes for flight controls, no for aiming. I used to always invert but eventually I got tired of changing it every time I played at a friend's house, so I trained myself to get used to non inverted.

Rippa

Feb 15, 2018
Yup since Goldeneye.

I always explain it like this:

Pretend the top of your head is the right analog stick. Now place your thumb (the one you use on the controller) on your head and push forward. Your head will start moving towards the ground, making your eyes look in that direction. Pull your thumb back and see that your head comes up and starts looking in that direction.

Makes the most sense to invert in my brain.

Freshmaker

Oct 28, 2017
I can't even understand how the option other than inverted is even useable to to people.

Especially games that default to the fake option... Just why?

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I said "yes," but after reading the thread... This *isn't* exclusively about flying?

People invert in other situations? How does that happen? I didn't even know it was an option...