Goda

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto
I have a Canadian passport and Polish passport (that I need to renew). I can understand not owning one if you're not traveling abroad but it's good to have one as a form of identification.

Armoured_Bear

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
I don't know a single person without a passport, in Western Europe it's quite rare these days.
There's nothing better than travelling, if I had more cash I'd travel all the fucking time.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of international flights are cheaper than domestic ones. From the East Coast you can fly to London for less money than a flight to CA.
At the very least for a comparable amount, depending on the specific details of your trip
You gotta get to the coast (or other international hub) first.

OP
OP
Taki

Taki

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
edit: i guess this point isn't that relevant

Last edited:

Deleted member 2625

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fun fact: Boston bouncers will insist on passports rather than drivers licenses for international ID, and even then sometimes deny that provinces like Alberta exist

Source: me at PAX East over many years

Boston is the only US city where I've seen this happen

Jersey_Tom

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
Just got mine renewed a couple months ago. Definitely worth having around even if you're not currently planning on traveling internationally. You never know when an opportunity to travel will pop up.

AdrianG4

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Americans have a tendency to feel that going to a different region in their own state is the same as traveling abroad

Last edited:

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
I'm inclined to agree. It's the biggest barrier of entry that Americans have to cross, in comparison with the Canadians and Australians. I was only in Europe for a month, and I ran into a lot more Canadian, Australian & New Zealander backpackers than I did fellow Americans. This is anecdotal, of course.

I also think our Canadian & Aussie brethren are encouraged by their parents to get out and see the world from an early adult age. At least that's the sense I got. Can any Canadians/Aussies/Kiwis comment? I'm genuinely curious. Because I kept on seeing these 18 year old solo travelers from those countries exploring Europe all by themselves. I was impressed by their willingness to go at it alone.

Yeah, taking a year+ off to do a OE (Overseas Experience) is a big thing in New Zealand. There's even a Wikipedia article about it haha. I mean, like everything, not everyone can afford to do it for various reasons (not necessarily money, since a lot of people do work during their overseas stay), but you do hear about a lot of people doing it.

A lot of it is motivated by the fact we're a very small country literally in the middle of nowhere. I can't say what it's like from personal experience since I'm an immigrant myself, but what I see is that a lot of people are just raring to go explore the world after having lived in the same small country for 18+ years.

BannedEpisode

Oct 28, 2017
For a lot of Americans traveling outside the country isn't so simple. It's either a super long drive or a long (expensive) flight. This is one reason that I would consider to be fairly reasonable. You also need to jump through some hoops, produce documents, and pay a fee which poor people might be more hesitant to do.

On top of this there is a weird hesitation/fear with older Americans about leaving the country. My grandmother would have anxiety attacks about me going to Europe or Asia whenever I went. No matter what I said or explained she wouldn't come around about other places being safe. It's strange. My grandpa would even get that way about places in the United States so it shouldn't be surprising. When I got back from San Diego last summer he was asking me questions about "how bad" it was or if it was worse than I expected. I had no idea what he was on about until I realized he was watching Fox programs about California "sanctuary" cities. :/

It's getting better. Younger Americans want to travel more and I think it's making a difference.

SpecX

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Americans have a tendency to feel that going to a different region in their own state is the same as traveling
If you live in one of the big states like Alaska, Cali, or Texas then this is actually true as the landscape and environment can differ from where you live.

Back on topic, I have a passport and my kids have the card version. I travel out of the country for work and plan on getting the books for my kids to take them to new countries as well. Don't want them stuck in California all their life.

SegFault

Oct 25, 2017
I finally got one this year to travel abroad and the amount of perceived freedom I have now is a kinda silly versus what I had before.

Everyone should have one where possible and we should make it cheaper and easier to get one. Plus it adds up to a bunch of points for confirming your identity if nothing else.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Thanks to this thread, it reminded me that I need to renew this summer.

Great stuff!

OP
OP
Taki

Taki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of it is motivated by the fact we're a very small country literally in the middle of nowhere. I can't say what it's like from personal experience since I'm an immigrant myself, but what I see is that a lot of people are just raring to go explore the world after having lived in the same small country for 18+ years.
I can see that as a major driving factor. Makes a lot of sense. NZ looks like it's at the world's edge. But beautiful. I would very much like to go there myself to explore! Would you recommend renting a car or could I get by thru the 2 islands without one effectively?

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
I had one as a kid but it lapsed and I never renewed.

I've been traveling a lot the last 2-3 years but it's been to other American cities like Seattle, Boston and NYC.

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
I do, but I think it expired. Having to pay for the passport and the legwork kinda sucks.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
I don't have enough money to live on my own, why would I try to go international?
Americans have a tendency to feel that going to a different region in their own state is the same as traveling abroad
Naw, there are different regions in a state. Just look at how different Miami is compared to the towns that border Georgia. Also, never met anyone who considers interstate travel "abroad," let alone discussing county lines.

AdrianG4

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Here is the part where Americans tell us that no other countries in the world offer as much diversity in culture and landscape and food as their home states

(Fun fact to foreigners: Americans are REALLY passionate about how special their home states are -- that is why they try to make OT's for Iowa and Nebraska here on Era)

OP
OP
Taki

Taki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Aeriscloud

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
American, and Yes. Although I think it expires this year and I've never used it. I had to cancel an opportunity to perform in Germany with my college choir, that was the reason I got one.

BannedEpisode

Oct 28, 2017
Here is the part where Americans tell us that no other countries in the world offer as much diversity in culture and landscape and food as their home states

(Fun fact to foreigners: Americans are REALLY passionate about how special their home states are -- that is why they try to make OT's for Iowa and Nebraska here on Era)

I'm not one of those people, Americans should definitely travel internationally.

However there is some truth to that mindset. Texas alone is nearly as big as Europe.

Edit: exaggeration above but check out an overlay. America is gigantic.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
Yes of course. I've had one since I was a child, when we immigrated to the US. I have to renew it soon enough, only have 1.5 years left on it.

We travel quite often. Doing two, maybe 3, international trips this year.Feel lucky. Wish more people were able to do so.

But the US is beautiful and varied as well. Maybe some people just keep it in the US.

But that rise in passport numbers...travel is easier and cheaper then ever. At least from the coasts.

OP
OP
Taki

Taki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not one of those people, Americans should definitely travel internationally.

However there is some truth to that mindset. Texas alone is nearly as big as Europe.

Edit: exaggeration above but check out an overlay. America is gigantic.

The blue outline is the area of Texas laid over part of Western Europe:

E81PsUg.png

I grant you that Texas is a big chunk of Europe size-wise. However, look at this another way: For the same time it takes to drive the longest length of Texas, in Europe you could drive through like six different countries, six different languages, six different cultures. (If you overlay that Texas shape over Southeastern Europe in the Balkans).

Europe's kind of unique in how compact yet diverse it is. Within a 1-4 hour plane flight on that continent, you have the choice of more than a dozen countries. They're lucky.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like I am more likely to drive to California from PA in the next 10 years than fly to Europe simply because of cost and there is a lot to see between here and Cali.

One of my big goals is to do a complete driving circuit of the US and visit every major National Park, Monument, and Historic Site.

Flying to Europe isn't expensive with time. Look for tickets a few months out, and go with economy, and you'll be surprised.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
People in Red states are afraid of mythical non-white boogeyman ready to get them addicted to drugs and attack them. It's no wonder they don't even entertain the idea of walking into the lion's den aka traveling abroad.

To answer the question, yes. I feel like the vast majority first generation Americans in particular (whose parents are immigrants), who I am, have passports if only to visit extended family
Wouldn't your parents be the first generation immigrants since they're the ones that immigrated? Pretty sure you (and me!) are second gen immigrants

BannedEpisode

Oct 28, 2017

Yeah. Haha that's why I put my edit in, but it really shows the size of one state, and Texas is only a portion of Alaska

Just please note: I am not someone arguing for those knuckleheads that say there is no reason to leave America. I'm just saying it's nearly as silly to downplay the regional differences between the states.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
A lot of international flights are cheaper than domestic ones. From the East Coast you can fly to London for less money than a flight to CA.
At the very least for a comparable amount, depending on the specific details of your trip

While you can see definitely find flights to Europe in the $300 dollar range, LA is regularly $200 out of NY airports. That sub $300 range is possible, but tough to Europ imo. But it can happen! I striked immediately last time I saw those.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
I don't have one but I'll need to get one soon if I ever plan on traveling by plane inside the country. My state just made that a requirement.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't mean to spam my own thread, but I encourage everyone to go onto Google Flights website, and do an open search for the cheapest tickets out of your closest international airport. Click the button labeled "Explore". Don't pick a specific destination in the destination box, just let the website tell you where the cheapest destinations currently are from your airport of origin.

If you have some degree in flexibility of travel dates, you can find some weirdly low international ticket prices. You might be surprised by what you see.

This. My partner got round trip tickets form LA to Madrid for 400 dollars. Def. cheaper than trying to fly to non-hub destinations on the East Coast.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It's been -40 in my part of Canada (at least) for the last week straight. I can't believe only 66% of Canadians have a passport.

I'm only half serious. I know a lot of people from where I'm at in the middle of Saskatchewan who have never left this province and whatever, some of them couldn't afford to if they wanted to, but others are just set in their ways and think they have everything they need so, why ever leave?

Emergency & I

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Californian and yes I do. My wife is Japanese so it's mandatory though I've had mine for well longer than knowing her.