Taki

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And what about other countries?

Concerning the Canadians:
The share of the U.S. population with a passport stood at 27 percent in 2007 and that has now increased to 42 percent. As impressive as recent growth has been, the share of passport holders still lags far behind other developed countries. In Canada, 66 percent of people had a passport in 2016
Source: https://www.forbes.com/sites/niallm...lly-in-recent-years-infographic/#3c0ed60d3c16

Concerning the British:
In 2011 - when the last UK census took place - 76% of people in England and Wales held a UK passport. Only 17% had no passport at all.
Source: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-42586638

When you break passport ownership down by individual state, things become interesting. Note that the study below is from 2011:

passport1.jpg

New Jersey boasts the highest percentage of passport holders (68%); Delaware (67%), Alaska (65%), Massachusetts (63%), New York (62%), and California (60%) are close behind.

At the opposite end of the spectrum, less than one in five residents of Mississippi are passport holders, and just one in four residents of West Virginia, Kentucky, Alabama, and Arkansas.
People from wealthier states are more likely to hold passports:
There is a considerable correlation between passports and both median income (.81) and per capita economic output (.70). No matter how you slice it, wealthier states have more passport holders.
passport2.jpg

Source: https://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2011/03/americas-great-passport-divide/72399/

The results suggest that there is a political divide between Americans who hold passports and those who do not:
What about politics? How does passport holding line up against America's Red state-Blue state divide? Pretty darn well, actually. There is a considerable positive correlation between passports and Obama voters (.59) and a significant negative one (-.61) for McCain voters. It appears that more liberally-oriented states are more globally oriented as well, or at least their citizens like to travel abroad. Again, the correlations hold when we control for income, though they are a bit weaker than the others.

Last edited:

Golden

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 9, 2018
I have two, Irish and British.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Really large country with lots of places to travel internally. I'm sure smaller countries tend to have more passports. How many Chinese have passports?

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, I've had to replace it twice though due to my dog ripping it apart because I was an idiot and left it out on a desk.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
No, but I will have to get one. My SO and I are talking about going to Scotland in the next five years. Wanting to go is a good motivator to get one.

Oct 27, 2017
What about politics? How does passport holding line up against America's Red state-Blue state divide? Pretty darn well, actually. There is a considerable positive correlation between passports and Obama voters (.59) and a significant negative one (-.61) for McCain voters. It appears that more liberally-oriented states are more globally oriented as well, or at least their citizens like to travel abroad. Again, the correlations hold when we control for income, though they are a bit weaker than the others.

People in Red states are afraid of mythical non-white boogeyman ready to get them addicted to drugs and attack them. It's no wonder they don't even entertain the idea of walking into the lion's den aka traveling abroad.

To answer the question, yes. I feel like the vast majority first generation Americans in particular (whose parents are immigrants), who I am, have passports if only to visit extended family

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Considering many people will never travel outside of the US, that's not surprising.

Think I need to renew mine this year...

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Yes. I have them for my children as well.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Never have. I've lived in Spain, but I was too young to need a passport when I left for there. And I went to Mexico a few times before 9/11.

Orbis

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I do. 76% of England and Wales residents do, compared to 74% who hold a driving license (England only stat).

DJChuy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't, but I plan on getting one this year or next year. Also need to lose weight before I take the picture.

Hilbert

Oct 27, 2017
Pacific Northwest!
I have one. My wife's expired and I need to get some for my two kids.

I like using it when showing proof I am legal to work in the country. All those other people have to show 2 forms of ID, and I just slap down my single ULTRA IDENTIFICATION

Also, being Latino in America right now, I am damn sure I have easy access to proof of my citizenship
(joking, but in a sad way)

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I can see the correlation of being wealthier leading to more passports. Also, many of the States in that map with higher % of passports are on the coast, and closer to international travel options. For those in the middle, a road trip is cheap.

It is sad though how many people will never experience other countries and cultures. They'd rather see some bullshit corn museum in some bumpkin town than travel abroad and see the Louvre or the British Museum, or experience Paris, or Rome's sights, etc.

Marshall

Oct 27, 2017
The vastness if the US, plus burdensome cost of international travel from here, I'm not surprised by this statistic,

Jeronimo

Nov 16, 2017
Yes, I usually hold mine in my hand when needed, otherwise I don't.

Not really surprised that Mississippi is last, international travel doesn't seem to be a big thing.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
My first passport just expired this month. But I already have most materials ready to go for a new one. Just need to get my photo and a money order together.

Deleted member 9971

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I got one just incase of the brexit cuz i had a girlfriend in da uk.

But then it ended oof.

Well ill still use it for travel later i guess *shrugs*

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
It's crazy how many people don't have one. I understand not everyone has the desire or ability to travel, but it's something good to have if you do suddenly need to travel or even identify yourself.

OP
OP
Taki

Taki

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really large country with lots of places to travel internally. I'm sure smaller countries tend to have more passports. How many Chinese have passports?
A good country to compare with in order to test this argument is Australia. It's also a big country separated from by oceans. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find statistics regarding the % of Australian citizens who hold passports.

Judging by how ubiquitous Australians and New Zealanders are in European hostels (there's always at least one Aussie in each hostel!) compared to the smaller # American backpackers, I'm willing to bet that they beat Americans in international on a per capita basis.

I think Australians and New Zealanders commonly have a "gap year" that's common for high school graduates in their culture. I kept on bumping into young Aussies and Kiwi adults who, having just graduated high school, were taking a year to travel the world. Backpacking across countries, working as bartenders and volunteering on farms, to help expense their trip.

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
I've had one for a long time.
It's actually really useful to have outside of travel too, if you're doing anything government related.

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
That number is really low. Passports are pretty much a given in most western countries.

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
This just puts into perspective the few things that Americans know outside their country about other places and the different cultures. The information is from movies and tv shows.