• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
Oh yeah thanks, forgot about that bit of news.

And yeah, as far as I'm concerned, The Show is really the only sports series that doesn't prey and exploit people (despite having the card game) and have a bunch of bullshit in their games. Then again, baseball isn't something that really resonates with people outside of some countries.

The Show is fantastic. Unsure how Madden works but in FIFA you need "contracts" to use people. The Show once you get a person, you get them and can use them.

Also I have never purchased anything and had a team of all Diamonds (highest tier). You can get them just by playing single player modes (like Conquest) as well as getting packs by redeeming points you square from normally playing. You can obviously buy packs to save time but it's fully serviceable without.

Oct 25, 2017
IA2gVLl.jpg
I actually kinda like that look, are there any real teams that play on a more minimally lined field?

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
The Redskins field marking and "Seahacks" is just fucking incredible. The level of incompetence with EA's sports franchises is truly astounding.

Oct 26, 2017
Things I would like to see added to Madden.

-Improved blocking and pursuit AI, it's been horrible for a while. The fact that play-action, literally the main play in all of football, still does not work in Madden shows little the series understands any of real pass protection.

-CPU picks plays based on down, distance, score, time remaining, and opponent personnel and prior play calling history. Right now, the CPU just picks plays based on what play the player selected and that's realllly boring and frustrating.

-Realistic defensive behavior. Way too easy for the player and CPU to get picks and sacks and forced fumbles. I know that's to make defense more exciting but it makes it feel really stupid and immersion shattering. Would maybe change defense to be more RTS like where you have mild control over every player instead of this users getting five picks in a game if you have a fast MLB nonsense.

-Tutorials for the game that are more engaging than the incredibly dull practice sessions.

-Give actual differences on the field for high and low awareness players. Awareness is the main stat for player overall but makes no difference on the field. Highlight gaps in the defense for high awareness QBs, have high play rec QBs or MLBs be able to guess what the opponent may be calling. The higher the play rec, the fewer potential options.

-Pass block win rate and run block win rate added to the game's stats so you can actually see which lineman are good. Will also allow lineman to get XP in a reasonable fashion instead of just getting tons of XP at the end of the year based on the completely random best offensive lineman awards.

-Ability to design your team to pick any city in North America and pick the color scheme of the stadium and uniforms.

-Realistic option for player development to along with the RPG player development option where players develop based on what the coach wants them to do in practice and the players develop in-between seasons mostly.

-Fans and ownership and your scouts wanting a certain player and why they want that player (close to home etc)

-Remove scouting information information entirely from draft stories and just make it flavor text and make the draft stories realistic. Most of the draft stories are extremely stupid, defensive players should not win the Heisman 60% of the time.

-No True Talent Grade given when scouting, just have Mel Kiper mock drafts that you can go through and scout. Allow player to scout top 5 attributes, each at 15 scouting points each. Allow the player to scout development rate for 50 points. Have far more busts in the first round and more steals in later rounds.

-Have a system where you try to learn about what players other teams are interested in so you can potentially trade up and get your guy instead of it seemingly like the computer just randomly drafted the guy you liked.

-Interesting and good looking weather in the games.

-Animations that don't look terrible

-Have more realistic player relationships where some guys don't get along with other guys and get along great with other players. Make this affect their confidence ratings and make it impact their FA decisions (along with winning)

Matrix Monkey

Dec 30, 2017
I used to be a huge Madden and NCAA fan. Playing in online leagues was a big part of my gaming time. The amount of spreadsheets I have just dedicated to building my teams is ridiculous.

In years past l defended the meager updates we would get and still had a great time. The last 3-4 years I've barely played the game. I wait till it's $20-30 and get it to play a little online head to head and maybe a season or two of offline franchise.

They went from doing what they could for gameplay and franchise to just absolutely not giving a shit about either. It's all MUT all the time now and they don't give a shit about that mode either, the only improvements are about how to get people to spend more money.

I feel bad for the people that work there, I'm sure there are a ton of people passionate about what they're making but their management clearly doesn't give a shit anymore.

OP
OP
The Albatross

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Every day I yearn for NCAA Football to come back...

NCAA football '14 still works on 360, even the Online Dynasty. Credit to EA where it's due, they still keep their servers running even for games that it's illegal for them to make new versions of. The community keeps the rosters up to date too.

I wish where was some way to get that game to work backwards compat on Xbox One X, I know it'll never happen, but like...... it's a dream. Even though I liked NCAA '13 more than '14, I'll happily play '14.

Rbk_3

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I bought every single Madden from 2000-2017. Haven't bought one since and do not miss it at all. Fuck EA

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Oh god, how has that been allows to happen for so long.

Use custom sliders. I do it IMMEDIATELY on a "new" Madden. Which again, I never buy, I just play through EA Access.

Custom Rosters and Custom Sliders/Settings. Always do that first. There are lots of resources out there to help out.

Please please please rename this thread

Madden NFL 21 |OT| DO NOT BUY MADDEN '21

I prefer..

DO NOT BUY MADDEN '21 |OT| DO NOT BUY MADDEN '21

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Please please please rename this thread

Madden NFL 21 |OT| DO NOT BUY MADDEN '21

Deleted member 11421

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Use custom sliders. I do it IMMEDIATELY on a "new" Madden (which again..I never buy...I just play through EA Access.

Custom Rosters and Custom Sliders/Settings. Always do that first. There are lots of resources out there to help out.

Yep, and the only reason I still enjoy franchise mode is because they eventually let us edit players like in 2K. If I was still at the mercy of their progression systems I would've been done a few years ago.

Oct 27, 2017
Seahacks...just imagine if a game released two months ago had used this...how can that not be intentional, even as an in-development placeholder?

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
The Show is fantastic. Unsure how Madden works but in FIFA you need "contracts" to use people. The Show once you get a person, you get them and can use them.

Also I have never purchased anything and had a team of all Diamonds (highest tier). You can get them just by playing single player modes (like Conquest) as well as getting packs by redeeming points you square from normally playing. You can obviously buy packs to save time but it's fully serviceable without.

The few times I've had the show lately, either from sale or ps+, I only played conquest. Pre-conquest it was the rtts mode.
Iirc Madden reqs contracts, and the garbage nba 2k reqs contracts only every mode that involves myteam as well. And drop rates and grind in the 2k games are super embarrassing, but it can't be helped, it's the only basketball game. Which hasn't exactly changed in a long long time, aside from adding more bullshit, glitchy cheesy nonsense every year.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
God how I miss the sports genre. The traditional games are long dead for me, outside of The Show

Oct 27, 2017
NY
The Show is definitely the pinnacle of sports gaming. Madden stopped updating its content for Madden 20 earlier than ever and still screwed up 21.

Deleted member 11421

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
if EA had competition madden wouldve probably died like NBA Live

If they weren't paying for the exclusive license and had competition they'd surely be putting out a better product.

NBA Live was always right there with 2K, then they began to lose out with 08-09 once 2K started marketing harder, and fell off a cliff once the mainstream saw Jesus Bynum vs. the game with MJ lol

No guarantee we get the same leaps in quality 2K took either if they had spread out their talent all these years.

Z-Brownie

Nov 6, 2017
after reading you OP, i am safe to say you have my axe on that, this is actually a reality in all EA Sports games.

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
I was never big on Madden over the years, but NFL 2k5 was my jammmm.

VoxPop

Oct 30, 2017
Absolutely agree on all points. I'm a casual Madden player (mostly just franchise with fantasy draft) and it's literally the same fucking game as 19/20. Thankfully I had ea access because I wanted early access to UFC4 (has a similar problem if not worse) and got to try the 10 hour trial. Which I only put 2-3 hours into after realizing it was the same game. It's really ridiculous how they get away with this every year. I can see them honey dicking about new features next year only for them to do the same exact thing.

OP
OP
The Albatross

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
As a fairly new European fan of the NFL i'll be fine with Madden 20

Yeah, download the community rosters. You can usually find them easily enough via a search and whichever ones have the most downloads.

You'll miss out on a couple new stadiums, the rebrand of the Redskins, and some crap microtransations modes.

Actually now is the time to play those ultimate team modes because all of the good players have been unlocked and you could build a good team quickly.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
Sports game have really fallen off from the PS2 era.

The lastest Maddens are shit, and feel scripted AF with it's animations. The gameplay is legitimately bad.

Like even 2k, with it's garbage VC, is a fundamentally good game. It has good gameplay, solid graphics/presentation, and an amazing GM mode that leaves other sports games in the dust. Yeah the last couple iterations of the game have been a bit stagnant, but the devs seem to care about and love the sport. They've taken the foundation from 2k10/11 and continued building upon it to where it is now.

With Madden, it's just bad in every facet. The gameplay and bugs, the shallow modes, with the focus being on these all style no substance filler modes that do nothing to make the core gameplay better.

Madden 07/08 for PS2 was the peak, and even Madden 10-12 for 360/ps3 were solid. But the features they've stripped out of the franchise since is unforgivable.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Sports game have really fallen off from the PS2 era.

The lastest Maddens are shit, and feel scripted AF with it's animations. The gameplay is legitimately bad.

Like even 2k, with it's garbage VC, is a fundamentally good game. It has good gameplay, solid graphics/presentation, and an amazing GM mode that leaves other sports games in the dust. Yeah the last couple iterations of the game have been a bit stagnant, but the devs seem to care about and love the sport. They've taken the foundation from 2k10/11 and continued building upon it to where it is now.

With Madden, it's just bad in every facet. The gameplay and bugs, the shallow modes, with the focus being on these all style no substance filler modes that do nothing to make the core gameplay better.

Madden 07/08 for PS2 was the peak, and even Madden 10-12 for 360/ps3 were solid. But the features they've stripped out of the franchise since is unforgivable.
Yeah sports games have been double dipping on consumers for a while now pay full price then they get to rake in a ton of money on card packs and shit That you CANT even bring over the next year.

Brannon

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Why would anyone buy THIS Madden? A game based on a season ravaged by a pandemic can't possibly have anything decent going for it, right?

Yes it's the only game in town, but man.... it's time to stop.

Eddman

Oct 27, 2017
Mexico
Realistic Sports games (with the exception of baseball) went to the shitter after EA monopolized them. Nowadays they're glorified pay to win Trading Card games and the sad thing is, nobody (probably just 2K) has the money to compete with them and get the same licenses to have healthy competition.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
The Show is definitely the pinnacle of sports gaming. Madden stopped updating its content for Madden 20 earlier than ever and still screwed up 21.
The Show is also guilty of focusing on that cash-grab Diamond Dynasty (basically ultimate team) mode with new features every year while leaving stuff like franchise mode untouched. I'd argue it has held back the Show for quite a few years now, despite still being a good, solid game.

Deleted member 11421

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For what it's worth there was a patch today that may have fixed some of the bugs and other stability issues.

Probably nothing to correct mistakes like this however:

6cnoanV.jpg

"Elusive back" for the Rams yet that's clearly a Saints helmet and a defensive tackle's body...

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow that's insane, I played some madden 19 and liked it but they really dropped the ball it looks like

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Holy crap the online head to head actually lost features. There isn't even tracked stats anymore. What the hell.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't know madden had so much content. I thought it was just like single player exhibitions games, multi, and online. It has a story mode!?