Mar 14, 2018
For fucks sake

After that cliffhanger.

After bringing back JJJ

They do this shit now?

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017
wow

haven't seen FFH yet (and thought HC was just ok), but i really did want to see spidey have a more prominent role in the MCU

bummer

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
Un-fucking-believable. Feige was just talking about Spider-Man 3 weeks ago so this must have only just collapsed. There's still time to salvage it.

That's my thinking. Disney made an aggressive first offer. Sony gave it the finger. Both of these are standard first steps in the process, but I find it odd that Sony didn't come back. Pretty sure they're negotiating from a position of weakness, and I can't believe that Disney wouldn't want to negotiate, considering the merchandising.

This feels like it's almost too stupid to be a thing.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
So uh, what happens now? Tom Holland's remaining two movies aren't canon to the post-Far From Home MCU movies? How is Marvel going to write Spider-Man out of the MCU?

Sony, you're fucking stupid.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Amazing Spider-Man 2 despite relative fatigue and middling impressions still made $700 million world wide. A Venom solo movie just made $800 million world wide. The property is definitely elevated being associated with the MCU, but it would be far from dead.

From what I remember with marketing and production costs amazing spiderman 2 did not make that much money. There was a reason they went to Disney in the first place

megalowho

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Why would you make Spider-Man such a significant part of the universe in Far From Home, when you didn't have assurances that he would be sticking around? That, to me, is the first gross sign of mismanagement from Marvel Studios? What the fuck?
My first takeaway as well. Seems like a decision with the potential to disrupt long term plans for Spidey in the MCU as much as his standalone films and crossover aspects, and yet he's been set up front and center all the same.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
And people thought others were concern trolling over this being a distinct possibility, now look what happened

Fucking hell

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
So what happens to both the MCU and the current Spidey run? Does the MCU have to just write Spiderman out and does the next Holland movie just have to not mention all of the MCU stuff that's in it?

The good thing is, He isn't really set up or connected to future Phase 4 or even Phase 5 currently. So if there is a severing, right after end game would be a good time.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
How dumb is Sony?

Literally the worst possible thing they could do

Giving up 50% of the revenue from one of their most valuable movie properties would be dumb. I get people want their comics movie connected movie universes at any and all costs, but these are billion dollar companies making decisions based solely on money, not on what will make for cool movies. Sony turning down a 50% split might suck for you as a fan, but it's absolutely not "dumb".

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure once Bob Iger leaves the next CEO will scramble to fix this.

Iger is in the "make as much cash before I bounce" mode without a care for anything long term.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's a miracle that we got what we got. We all knew egos and greed would ruin this in the end.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
Giving up 50% of the revenue from one of their most valuable movie properties would be dumb. I get people want their comics movie connected movie universes at any and all costs, but these are billion dollar companies making decisions based solely on money, not on what will make for cool movies. Sony turning down a 50% split might suck for you as a fan, but it's absolutely not "dumb".

It may very well prove to be if they end up driving the franchise into the ground a third time. Then their getting 100 % of the take will matter a lot less.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Never watched the Amazing movie, but the Raimi films were great and I loved Venom. The MCU was lame and played out, so I'm glad Spider-man gets to go back to being his own thing.

What? Venom is a steaming pile of garbage. Sony has made 3 good Spider-Man movies out of 7 attempts, they don't have a great track record here.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Ahahahahahaha

Sony would find a way to fuck this up

Fresh off Kevin Feige giving you your biggest movie in studio history

Fucking idiots

Lionheart360

Oct 27, 2017
This will never stick. There is too much to be gained by having Spiderman cross-over with the MCU. If anything, the solo movies will be produced solely by Sony, and the big team-up Avengers style ones will be agreed up on a case by case basis.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
tenor.gif

To all the people crowing over this, can I just remind you quite succinctly;

• Venom's success was commercial, not critical, and they will run it into the ground with far less iconic Spidey villains
  • Spiderverse was ONE (admittedly amazing) movie, which they will also run into the ground

WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who was completely bored by Homecoming, and disappointed by Far From Home(barring the Mysterio illusion scenes). I'm actually pretty happy with this. But then again, maybe it's cause I just saw Spider-Man 1&2 recently, and haven't seen the the rock bottom of Spider Man films(ASM2) yet.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Amazing Spider-Man 2 despite relative fatigue and middling impressions still made $700 million world wide. A Venom solo movie just made $800 million world wide. The property is definitely elevated being associated with the MCU, but it would be far from dead.
it also had anywhere between 2 to 300 mill budget

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
The entire point of this discussion where things broke down was about them co-financing the films. The problem is that Disney wanted to split it 50-50 and Sony wanted to go 95-5.

95-5 is the original deal, I believe?

So you expect Spider-Man to be in the MCU, and Feige not having any say in it. it doesn't work that way.

I mean, the current contracts still hold, so I don't see anything different unless there's a stipulation that Holland can appear in Marvel films outside of Sony-produced ones...

Dust

C H A O S
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Read full article.
Both sides sound idiotic in this case, Disney went full greed and Sony just flipped them and walked off without a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.