• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
um.. guys. it's like that now
Yeah I saw the OP and was a little confused lol
That's how it's been ever since backwards compatibility released on X1, each title requires a sorta mini-patch in order to function properly on the system, which is why you have to be online for the first activation.

Oct 27, 2017
This is what it says EXACTLY on the bottom of the Xbox Series X Box:

See it says "playable with download"...

/thread
This right here.

I guess it wasn't well publicised but it's ultimately the way this is meant to work.

I'd still like to grab those configs though. Make it like "optional media" download back on 360.

ThatNerdGUI

Prophet of Truth
Mar 19, 2020
This is the case with Digital games as well. If you try to play games that you have on an external HDD from the Xbox One and have not yet launched while being online on Series X, you will get the same message. I assume that this is a 1 time configuration (or something) thing because after going online and back offline the game works just fine.

Last edited:

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I thought the Xbox One worked the same way with BC 360 games.

You put the disc in, it downloads the emulator/software (or whatever) for that game, and then you can play it.

This is how games that aren't BC compatible are locked out. Like NCAA 14 (360) can't be played on Xbox One because EA never allowed for it to work, because of licensing issues around college sports.

Smokeymicpot

Oct 25, 2017
Makes sense. If this wasn't the case every game would be playable. When you put the disc in the console it just downloads it.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
So this doesn't actually seem like a big deal to me. Xbox One Game disks obviously contain the Xbox One version of the game with the codebase locked in at the day the code was compiled...which will often be Day 1.

The Series X/S while Backwards Compatible, likely requires some special configuration settings for the emulator/VM to be able to actually run the game. These settings obviously won't be printed on a disk that was printed up to a decade before the Series S/X even existed as a concept.

The fact that the games work offline after this update proves this point.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheCrackedJack
Oct 27, 2017
So this doesn't actually seem like a big deal to me. Xbox One Game disks obviously contain the Xbox One version of the game with the codebase locked in at the day the code was compiled...which will often be Day 1.

The Series X/S while Backwards Compatible, likely so require some special configuration settings for the emulator to be able to actually run the game. These settings obviously won't be printed on a disk that was printed up to a decade before the Series S/X even existed as a concept.

The fact that the games work offline after this update proves this point.
I'll just respond with a few points as to why it can be bothersome.

-Anyone who buys a Series X game currently like Yakuza or Valhalla will need an internet connection to install it because the version on disc will be the Xbox One version and therefore unplayable without this verification. This isn't a problem for most but there may be people who use the system in a remote military areas or otherwise who can't connect to the internet very often.

-Your 2nd paragraph can equally be said about PS4 games on the PS5 and no such online requirement exists.

-The One X didn't exist when many Xbox One games came out and this is not a requirement for it. I've personally installed many Xbox One games on the One X completely offline and I'm not required to connect to the internet at all.

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA
never really noticed since gamepass exists lol.

Does it do that for non BC games though? What happens if I pop in FFXV without being online per say.

On a Xbox One? It just launches FFXV, that's how I played through it without the Day 1 Patch to do the out of bounds glitch to get your party from the endgame into the open world.

On a Series X? From what I can tell it installs and then needs to connect to the net once to download the config for the Xbox One Emulation.

Gatsbits

Oct 28, 2018
My 2013 Xbox One fat can play games without any connection.

most of people complaining about that are people who sharing their account ....

OG XBox , Xbox360 and now Xbox one are BC titles, they needs to doznload some emulator to play ( the first time )

fake news again and again.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017

you know what, I think your on to something. All apps are tied to owners and stuff. Since I gameshare my xbox I now remember i could not do anything offline with the system because it wasn't the primary. Even the Blu-Ray app needed a connection because it didn't recognize me as the owner.

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
Seems like BC is based on whitelisting and you get an individual whitelist for each game on first boot while connected online.
I bet this is what it is.

And then there's part of me that thinks this whitelisting could just be stored on the Xbox locally (since it can't be very large, file size wise).

Then there's another part of me that realizes (1) of all the things that MS might need to turn their attention to, implementing a continuously-updating localized BC whitelist is probably way down the rabbit hole, and (2) nobody really cares other than people who want ammo for the warz.

Gatsbits

Oct 28, 2018
you know what, I think your on to something. All apps are tied to owners and stuff. Since I gameshare my xbox I now remember i could not do anything offline with the system because it wasn't the primary. Even the Blu-Ray app needed a connection because it didn't recognize me as the owner.

you right. gameshare doesnt allow to play offline because your main console IP is " somewhere " through the internet lol

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
No. MS is not going to baked in thousands of files for this small ass edge case... It's a waste of time and energy and then testing every single game being installed and then confirm it can run. It's literally just not worth it.
But they literally said they confirmed every game. In fact, it's one of those things console warriors use to bash Sony over the head because 99% compatible BC apparently isn't good enough.

"With more than 100,000 hours of play testing already completed, thousands of games are already playable on Xbox Series X today, from the biggest blockbusters to cult classics and fan favorites. Many of us in Team Xbox play on the Xbox Series X daily as our primary console and switching between generations is seamless. By the time we launch this holiday, the team will have spent well over 200,000 hours ensuring your game library is ready for you to jump in immediately."

Egg0

Oct 25, 2017
So I've re-read the issue a couple times now... And maybe it's because I've been up for 19 hours, but can someone explain to me how this works differently from Xbox 360 BC for Xbox one?

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
So I've re-read the issue a couple times now... And maybe it's because I've been up for 19 hours, but can someone explain to me how this works differently from Xbox 360 BC for Xbox one?
The difference is in how things are run. Xbox and Xbox 360 BC basically has you downloading a version of the game that's compatible with newer consoles, where the disc essentially just acts as a license check. With Xbox One games on Series X, the games are running in what's essentially a virtual machine. There's very little reason they shouldn't work by just popping in the disc.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Yes, as what has been stated in the thread and the words say "playable with download", not plural. There's no more need to figure out anything. The game will not be playable without the download.
That's not too bad then.

This is why I will never own an xbox, shitty offline support.
Every single gen I give it a thought to get an Xbox and every single gen they fuck it up.

Oh well.

tenor.gif

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019

OG XBox , Xbox360 and now Xbox one are BC titles, they needs to doznload some emulator to play ( the first time )

fake news again and again.

This is not fake news. It may not end up being the most important but it's not fake.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The difference is in how things are run. Xbox and Xbox 360 BC basically has you downloading a version of the game that's compatible with newer consoles, where the disc essentially just acts as a license check. With Xbox One games on Series X, the games are running in what's essentially a virtual machine. There's very little reason they shouldn't work by just popping in the disc.
Wouldn't be possible as with bluray drives/discs a game install/updates are required.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Wouldn't be possible as with bluray drives/discs a game install/updates are required.
If I can pop a game in my One S and play it without connecting to the internet, there's no reason I shouldn't be able to do the same with the Series X. It's a virtual machine on extremely similar architecture.

Look, I know it's a fringe case, but it's just such an odd decision.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If I can pop a game in my One S and play it without connecting to the internet, there's no reason I shouldn't be able to do the same with the Series X. It's a virtual machine on extremely similar architecture.
You still need to install the game first. Even then games require massive updates in addition plus BC works the exact same way on Xbox one. You needed to be online to download original Xbox and Xbox 360 games on the Xbox One. It shouldn't be a surprise to anyone it works the same way with BC this generation.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
You still need to install the game first. Even then games require massive updates in addition plus BC works the exact same way on Xbox one. You needed to be online to download original Xbox and Xbox 360 games on the Xbox One. It shouldn't be a surprise to anyone it works the same way with BC this generation.
Again, BC works that way on Xbox One because you actually need to download a compatible version of the Xbox and 360 games that work with the One. In this case, the architectures are similar, so there's no reason that an Xbox one game can't work on a Series X without a download.

Unless the brief connection to the internet actually does download some sort of quick config file which, if they're that small, should just be able to download in bulk.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
The fact that Xbox One games (apparently?) need to do this is news, but BC needing to do this is not at all. BC games need to download a profile for the emulation layer, to work correctly - it's not an "activation".

I'm a little surprised Xbox One games apparently need to do the same check, but it's hard to say more without understanding how the Series X handles BC for those games, and how "natively" they are running on the hardware.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
But they literally said they confirmed every game. In fact, it's one of those things console warriors use to bash Sony over the head because 99% compatible BC apparently isn't good enough.

"With more than 100,000 hours of play testing already completed, thousands of games are already playable on Xbox Series X today, from the biggest blockbusters to cult classics and fan favorites. Many of us in Team Xbox play on the Xbox Series X daily as our primary console and switching between generations is seamless. By the time we launch this holiday, the team will have spent well over 200,000 hours ensuring your game library is ready for you to jump in immediately."
What are you on about? I said that they aren't going to test this small edge case solution thousands of times. Please reread what I said and not bring in some stupid ass dumb console warrior fuckery, no one gives a fuck about that.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
I have this image in my head of someone who bought a Series X without internet access angrily writing a handwritten letter to the editor at gamepro magazine.

I'm not sure why this is such a massive deal when it was already a fact for 360/OG BC to work. Now it's also necessary for XB1 BC to work, and it's right on the box.

There are a lot of reasons they want to check BC games before you launch them. Some will need patches to work, others might just need flags set to tell the system how to run it. For example, how they use a disable auto HDR on some BC games because it won't work correctly (and the ones that do work need a set of metadata to work from). And that list has been constantly updated over the past few weeks. This functionality is why the overwhelming majority of games play normally and you don't have a bunch flagged as "bootable" with no idea what the problem might be.

Jamix012

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah this one thing completely negates literally everything positive about the Xbox BC and thus renders it "horrible". Jesus christ, ease up on the hyperbole and get a grip.

No this literally puts Xbox Series X for me from "buy when available" to "not at all interested"

You can call this hyperbole all you want but I want a system that will be able to play my disc in 20 years which, if the servers are down, this current Xbox can't do for XB1 games. If it can't do that, I'll wait until there's truly a killer app and that hasn't happened for me since Halo 3 on Xbox.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Come on how can this be a talking point in 2020? Without internet you'll have broken ass games anyway with all the patches, nothing is ready to fully enjoy on a disc today, and you'd have no Game Pass either which is possibly the number 1 reason to get an Xbox, plus Xbox BC games has always required a download.

The bigger news is that you essentially have to re-download your games on your old external hdd. This wasn't just an online check-in, I was triggered with huge ~50 GB downloads for each game I started to get the XSX upgrade. FH4 was 64GB, almost a 2 hour download. Made most of my first day with XSX be about looking at progress bars. :/

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
This console cycle has been brutal. This feels like something dumb that they hoped would be satisfying, but will quickly realize has to change.

These consoles are new! Things are going tj change a LOT by the "final" product. We are all early adopters that bought early.

It's going to be ok. Tweet at the Xbox Support tag.

Gatsbits

Oct 28, 2018
Yep it is, how hard is it for Microsoft to implement offline support? You can't even use the series X without the Day 1 update, credit to them though for having an "offline" installation process where you install from a USB.

imagine buying a device in 2020 without internet for some update and complaining about that on the internet ...

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Wait, Xbox One games discs on Series X need to be downloaded? I have many questions because last month I thought it was a big deal certain games like AC Unity could be 60fps with the unpatched version of the games.

TheAggroCraig

This guy are sick of the One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
Wait, Xbox One games discs on Series X need to be downloaded? I have many questions because last month I thought it was a big deal certain games like AC Unity could be 60fps with the unpatched version of the games.

Xbox One discs will install off the disc as far as I'm aware.

The difference being the XBONE/XSX combo disc (ie Yakuza 7) will download the XSX version since the disc would have the XBONE version.