Oct 27, 2017
This is not 100 percent confirmed at the moment, but there are reports that the Series X will not allow you to install an Xbox One game without connecting online. John from Digital Foundry follow this first account, so they are not exactly a random nobody. You can see another person having the same issue in the tweet quoted who tested this on 10 different games. And another account is from an editor of a Nintendo magazine.

Now I haven't got a chance to test this out personally, but it is concerning if true. Anyone else having a similar experience?

Transistor

Outer Wilds Ventures Test Pilot
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Holy shit. That's crazy. I mean, I guess the system wants to download some configs or something, but still. That's mega yikes if true.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
news28469_240x180.jpg

darthpaxton

Jun 20, 2018
I tested it out with a digital game (that was purchased by the account that is set as the home console) and didn't run into any DRM issues after following the steps posted in another tweet. I don't have any discs to try anymore, but you would think they'd be more restrictive of digital games than discs. If it does run into a DRM issue with discs (and I've not seen a single person confirm it with a video), I think it's probably just a bug or not intended to work that way.

EDIT: I just found a disc. Trying this now.

EDIT 2: Was not able to recreate the problem with a disc.

Last edited:

Deleted member 8784

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The Xbox series x is no different to the 2013 Xbox one, @Xbox and @XboxP3 have snuck the 2013 drm back into the system.

Impossible to take seriously when the kid says stupid shit like this. The original Xbox One was 24 hour check-ins and un-reusable discs which needed activation keys reissuing and shit like that. This is nothing alike.

Wein Cruz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So like how the Xbox one needs to be connected to the internet to install 360 games from the disc

Lame if true but that twitter account is YIKES

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
You can play your digital games offline though. Why would they make disc based games unplayable? Must be a bug or hardware failure or something.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
dude seems like a console warrior so ill take it with a grain of salt

Transistor

Outer Wilds Ventures Test Pilot
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
OK, so this has been confirmed by multiple sources now. A one time update or activation is required before disc-based games will launch on the Series X. As such, the thread is reopened for discussion.

Raspyberry

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This is a home console issue 100%. I haven't been able to recreate this issue.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
OK, so this has been confirmed by multiple sources now. A one time update or activation is required before disc-based games will launch on the Series X. As such, the thread is reopened for discussion.
That's pretty terrible if true. I can understand why they need to do it (security, potential fixes) but people without access to the web are SOL

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
This was always their intentions from 2013. They knew they'd just have to ride it out until people forgot.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
That's pretty terrible if true. I can understand why they need to do it (security, potential fixes) but people without access to the web are SOL

I mean yeah, but they have been SOL with regards to Xbox since 2013 or so, since the Xbox One has always required an online account for everything. A disk check for even physical games isn't the end of the world for most people unfortunately, and as long as it's only one time or something, it should be fine

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, so if I:
Take my console offline
Put an older Xbox One game disc in, one I haven't played on the system yet

It won't work?

I'll give that a try now.

Akelisrain

Oct 30, 2017
Bel Air MD
Why is it necessary to set to home console if it is disk based? That seems ridiculous. So, if I created an offline account and just played a disk game, it wouldn't boot?

ShroudOfFate

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
Isn't this exactly how it works on Xbox One? The discs are essentially just keys for BC

Another

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Portugal
As someone who normally doesn't have access to wifi for 2 days out of every week and who bought the Series X at launch, I'm really hoping this isn't true.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Eh let's not keep sharing this console war Twitter dude.
If you feel that there is a nefarious agenda here you might want to take a better look. I've seen that account before and it only exists to investigate, elevate and remove problems relating to video game preservation. I know Xbox has come a long way since 2013 in what it offers gamers, but if what we have in XSX is indeed the same restrictions as what was attempted back in 2013 the responses should be the same as back then.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
How would it do it offline if disc based bc games download anyway? The games aren't played from the disc.