• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019
Wow, thats a lot for DRM

Really makes one wonder how much we brute force games to run when we play them legit

Not too difficult to find out, due to games on GoG. There have definitely been some discrepancies with non-protected game performance vs drm, the mentioned Devil May Cry in the video and Mankind Divided had longer load times due to Denuvo, but any significant differences are actually pretty rare.

PC ports exhibiting poor performance are usually far more down to the porting team and/or the game's engine being able to function well on different architectures than just the addition of drm. There's a lot of games without DRM released that would make these headlines a monthly occurrence if so.

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019
The above is in addition to the broken graphical features like AA,Interlaced mode, VRS and film grain which lie broken on PC 2 months after launch IN ADDITION to the constant stuttering throughout the game.
Yeah I was hoping that Rich would also have thrown these a mention in his DF video (which was great to see regardless) as there are other issues with the port than just the stuttering.

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hope this blows up in Capcom's face.

Personally, I'm not buying another Capcom game on PC.

Last edited:

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
This is BS. I'm not happy about this and publishers should take note. I'm going to start skipping games that have this mess implemented.

Great job again DF.

GMM

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Was considering buying the PC version of Village for another replay, this is unacceptable and needs to be addressed ASAP.

Good work by Digital Foundry bringing this to attention. Any DRM solution that negatively impact the gameplay experience is intrusive and should be removed, especially for a single player game.

DSync

Oct 27, 2017
What's really weird is I have Resident Evil 7 on Steam and I'm pretty sure it ran like absolute butter on my 1080ti at 1440p think I ran it at ultra as well or at least high

Wonder why they decided to essentially cripple Village?

Anyway great work as always DF!

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A typo makes a huge difference šŸ˜…

giphy.gif

collige

Oct 31, 2017
I wonder if this could've been caused by the calls to Capcom's stat tracking service being poorly implemented or something.It would explain the stuttor that happens when you kill enemies at least.

Oct 25, 2017
So aside from a few moments where the FPS plunged and the game became a slideshow (specific to a couple areas), I don't think I experienced any stutter or anything else on PC.

Does that make sense? Or would I have *necessarily* gotten content stutter if I played on PC?

They removed entire animations to stop Capcom's drm from running. Denuvo is still running, but is bypassed as usual for a crack, meaning there really shouldn't be any performance improvements from that.
That has been fixed too now by the cracker.

unknown.png
Lol the pirates are better supporting their own version than Capcom does for the Steam one.
Amazing....

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So aside from a few moments where the FPS plunged and the game became a slideshow (specific to a couple areas), I don't think I experienced any stutter or anything else on PC.

Does that make sense? Or would I have *necessarily* gotten content stutter if I played on PC?
Nah, you would have, every time you killed an enemy the screen would hitch, it happens in all hardware configurations.

IamPeacock

Feb 9, 2018
Belgium
I haven't got the time to check the video, but besides the missing animation of the daughters, are there any other things missing with the crack?

Einherjer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I haven't got the time to check the video, but besides the missing animation of the daughters, are there any other things missing with the crack?

The missing animations are fixed EMPRESS released a crackfix for it yesterday besides that there was nothing else wrong so it works perfectly now.

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
The issue is not Denuvo right ? It is the Capcom DRM on top of it ? As far I've read the Capcom DRM is causing mostly the issues.
Still not a fan of this Denuvo intrusive crap.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Pretty surprised to see an outlet like DF admitting to pirating a game. Not that I have a problem with it.

There's a distinction to make between using a cracked executable and outright pirating a game. One involves the use of "illicit" services to improve the experience for which a game you own; the other is skirting the idea of paying for the content altogether.

Edit: Also, to speak generally and as a former mod, linking to the crack is fine provided it's just the crack and the link doesn't serve as an advertisement for the release or the group, and Capcom hasn't asked for said links to be removed.

Last edited:

Shaz12567

Jun 7, 2021
tbf that's always the case, since these big Non-Valve companies take too long to put out simple patches
They do but this is an outlier as it's almost 2 months since launch. Most AAA developers release patches inside a month of launch. What makes me mad though is that they charged me the same $60 as the PS5 version when they haven't done any QC on it at all.

glaurung

Oct 26, 2017
Estonia
I really hope these findings prompt Capcom to address the issues and not lash out at DF with punitive measures or something.

Mar 29, 2018
Ridiculous. Is Denuvo really worth paying from pubs/dev perspective?
Pirates will most of the time pirate/crack it anyway and paying customers are getting slap to the face.
I don't have any data or numbers, but typically publishers and studios are most precious about day one sales (which are always the highest raw number sales one-day), and IIRC Denuvo provides better protection than any other system for at least the initial days? Like, it'll get cracked but at least you somewhat protect day one sales.

Shaz12567

Jun 7, 2021
Pretty surprised to see an outlet like DF admitting to pirating a game. Not that I have a problem with it.
Nothing wrong with it. They have purchased a copy on Steam and they simply applied a crack over it. I don't think Capcom or any developer would have any issue with that.

Its funny to see that the only reason paying customers are even being heard is because of pirates cracking the game and to add insult to injury they even have good "post launch" support than the original developer.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Clearly not, but that...makes a lot more sense.
There's sites that only host the cracked exes or the modded dll files that bypass the checks without providing the entire game.

Plenty of people crack their legit purchased games and they're not downloading data they already have, especially since certain games need the game cracked to be missed.

The Mass Effect Trilogy, for example, get cracked the moment people use the tools required to enable mods. Wouldn't be surprised if the same thing happened with the Legendary Edition, either.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I was in the market to buy this game at launch. Played the demo and noped out as soon as it started to dip.
Unacceptable from a consumer stand-point and on top of that it was a last gen game too.