CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
For me to choose 30fps in a racing game when 60fps is offered, it would need to be such a mind-bogglingly stark difference in visuals. I might try quality out of sheer curiosity, but there's not way I'll keep it there

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
What is the default mode?

There's no default, it let's you choose as soon as you're in the start menu.

Awesome looking game

1WlibX2.png

sgRi4j9.png

XIIR5yP.png

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
For sure. You hit the nail in the head with the "in motion" bit. I guess I'll just toy with both modes like anything else. I just personally dislike flipping between the two in games as I feel that it is jarring to the senses.

Anyway hope you enjoy this entry. I remember your hang-ups with 4 and hope this fares better for you.

I still really enjoyed FH4, I'm just nit picky about Horizon games these days because I've played so many of them and know exactly what Improvements I'm looking for at this point.

lemmykoopah

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'll probably settle for quality mode. The only problem is that for the whole time i'm playing Horizon 5 I won't be able to play other games that run at 60 fps otherwise coming back to 30 fps will feel terrible. And I don't know what other game I will be able to play together with Horizon 5, 99% of the games out there on xbox are 60 fps...

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
I'll probably settle for quality mode. The only problem is that for the whole time i'm playing Horizon 5 I won't be able to play other games that run at 60 fps otherwise coming back to 30 fps will feel terrible. And I don't know what other game I will be able to play together with Horizon 5, 99% of the games out there on xbox are 60 fps...

PG always had their 30fps feel as close to 60fps then any other. The super high quality motion blur and low latency makes their 30fps play like no other. Never budges below 30fps no matter what

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
So what improvements does Series S have over One X, considering it's running at a much lower resolution? Couldn't really tell from the article, which mostly focused on Series X improvements.

Can't watch the video right now.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Everyone arguing about whatever as always lol. But, just wanted to give props to John and whoever else helped him on this video. This was an amazing video! This is not the standard performance/stats comparison videos, which is coming separately, but a deeper and more experiential exploration of the presentation of the game with tons of technical detail and development insight. Well produced and clearly a lot of care went into planning, organizing, presenting every part of it. A joy to watch throughout.

I especially really enjoyed that sound section at the end. John managed to really sell the music and sound in a way that didn't opine whatsoever on the soundtrack of the game in the radios and stuff. Rather, he focused on the technical aspect of the audio raytracing reacting realistically to the material properties of the surrounding concrete, dirt, metal, etc AND on how the audio from voices, music, cars, environment come together in spectacular ways in the more guided moments of the game. The "sound demonstration" part of the video (you can see a progress bar at the top right of the video when it's happening) gave me a few goosebumps, just feeling how the sound builds up and cuts away dynamically in response to what you're doing, and yet in a clearly planned and organized way.

The amount of love put into almost every part of this game is pretty damn cool.

LeMillion

Jun 9, 2020

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
I cant imagine what they will be able to do in Fable. The near field detail will be insane when not trying to hide LODs at 200mph.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
What about Series S quality mode?
" Xbox One X doesn't just have more pixels, it's a far richer experience all around (compared to One S) - it's close to Series X and Series S performance modes, just running at half frame-rate. Quality mode on Series consoles is a world apart in terms of detail, fidelity and integrity - level of detail is astonishing. "

Micerider

Nov 11, 2017
FH5 looks better than most Open World games were you actually run around and interact with the world. Hell, it looks even better than most linear games.

It's insane what Playground did. The FH franchise is something truly special.

Yeah, aside from Ratchet & Clank, I can't see what games compares this year

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
Those floor textures...damn. Best looking open world game out there.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
" Xbox One X doesn't just have more pixels, it's a far richer experience all around (compared to One S) - it's close to Series X and Series S performance modes, just running at half frame-rate. Quality mode on Series consoles is a world apart in terms of detail, fidelity and integrity - level of detail is astonishing. "
Nice, I just wish it had more details about specifics like the Series X version.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
I am kind of surprised the John did not mention what mode he prefers to play the game in or did I miss that part? It was a great video, but i don't recall him discussing what he prefers based on his time with the game so far.

For me I have about 2 hours in the game in Quality mode. I going to log in under my wife's account and start over in performance mode so I can do that amazing opening sequence but at 60fps.

Oct 27, 2017
Were it not for some of the pop-in issues, I'd say considering the level of overall image quality at 4k, this is the best looking game ever made.

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
The level of detail exceeds any game I've seen yet. The cone stepping and POMs are insanely high quality and everywhere

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
This game on Series X is right up there with R&C as the best looking games on next gen right now. Better in some ways, worse in others, but I'd still put it on the same pedestal. Kind of bummed I'll be playing it on Series S, honestly, but still really looking forward to it.

Playground Games is probably MS's most technically and artistically proficient developer, and it shows to an amazing degree in this game. Can you imagine how Fable is going to look?

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
its really oddly ugly at the end of races when the competitor cars flash past. victim of the motion blur maybe? they look super low resolution and blurry

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Some of those ground textures are near photo realistic. Its just bonkers. They made such a beautiful rendition of Mexico.

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
After playing in both modes, performance is the way to go for me because quality mode just looks too blurry to me in motion and it really does not allow me to appreciate the extra detail. The 60fps of performance mode solve this problem completely but, I got to admit, the pop in is way more noticeable than i was hoping for.

I really hope Playground games releases a new mode in a lower resolution but at 60fps and without pop in, I think I'd rather play that.

DrowsyJungle

Oct 25, 2017
I cannot even imagine what the next one will look like after dropping last gen. Bravo to the devs at Playground. Just amazing.

Readvacancy

Oct 6, 2018
What was the point of putting "Teardrops" by Bring Me The Horizon on the soundtrack when at least half of the song is censored?

aspiring

Oct 25, 2017
What was the point of putting "Teardrops" by Bring Me The Horizon on the soundtrack when at least half of the song is censored?

you should listen to the NBA 2k soundtrack. So many songs get butchered because half the lyrics are just chopped out. I don't understand why include the song as it just sounds terrible

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
So what improvements does Series S have over One X, considering it's running at a much lower resolution? Couldn't really tell from the article, which mostly focused on Series X improvements.

Can't watch the video right now.
Someone already mentioned the graphics, so I'll focus on the rest I remember being different.
  • Series S has less loading screens and shorter loading when it happens.
  • The audio files are of higher quality and the console uses RT for audio.
  • Double the framerate iirc
These things were mentioned beforehand by the developers.
Everyone arguing about whatever as always lol. But, just wanted to give props to John and whoever else helped him on this video. This was an amazing video! This is not the standard performance/stats comparison videos, which is coming separately, but a deeper and more experiential exploration of the presentation of the game with tons of technical detail and development insight. Well produced and clearly a lot of care went into planning, organizing, presenting every part of it. A joy to watch throughout.
I absolutely agree. Huge credits to Dark1x . This video was amazing and I really liked he focuses on sound, too.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I find it better looking on my série x @performance 4K than my pc every settings ultra / extreme at 1440p

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
I love John... but did he REALLY have to use Driveclub's menu music for part of this video? 😭😭😭

Or is that track used in FH5 as well?

bob100

Oct 29, 2017
Apologies in advance if this is a stupid question, I know that performance mode runs at dynamic 4k/60 and Quality mode is 4K/30.

However i only have a 1080p plasma that i game on, therefore would I be able to play Quality Mode at a higher framerate seeing as my Xbox will only output at 1080p? Or is this something the developers would need to implement as an option?

I think i know what the answer will be, but would appreciate clairifaction.

Thanks in advance

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Apologies in advance if this is a stupid question, I know that performance mode runs at dynamic 4k/60 and Quality mode is 4K/30.

However i only have a 1080p plasma that i game on, therefore would I be able to play Quality Mode at a higher framerate seeing as my Xbox will only output at 1080p? Or is this something the developers would need to implement as an option?

I think i know what the answer will be, but would appreciate clairifaction.

Thanks in advance

Even if you're running a 1080p TV, the Xbox will output at 4k and just downsample.

So, no, afraid not. You'll have the same options as everyone else. Positive being that the 4k downsampled image will look loads nicer than 1080p even on a 1080p TV.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
Where I'd pick up something like Control in Performance mode, 30fps with Ray Tracing, I would just have to go in on 60fps on something like this. I feel like with racing, you need that responsiveness.

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
Where I'd pick up something like Control in Performance mode, 30fps with Ray Tracing, I would just have to go in on 60fps on something like this. I feel like with racing, you need that responsiveness.

try the 30fps mode first PG has the most responsive 30fps out there their latency is super low and the physics run at like 360fps. Plus with the top notch motion blur it's really good

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
try the 30fps mode first PG has the most responsive 30fps out there their latency is super low and the physics run at like 360fps. Plus with the top notch motion blur it's really good

Just looking at the videos, 60fps via Youtube, it just feels night and day to me. The 30fps looks really filmic, really nice, but that isn't what I want from a game like this.

And, for added context, I'm not really a framerate purist either. I played through Age Of Calamity with my boy in co-op and didn't have a problem! Just racing games in particular though.

bob100

Oct 29, 2017
Even if you're running a 1080p TV, the Xbox will output at 4k and just downsample.

So, no, afraid not. You'll have the same options as everyone else. Positive being that the 4k downsampled image will look loads nicer than 1080p even on a 1080p TV.

Ahh ok just what I thought. Thanks for coming back to me