chandoog

Oct 27, 2017

Playground Games' Forza Horizon 5 is finally complete - a cross-generation game perhaps, but one where the next generation features deliver a new level in fidelity for the franchise and for the Xbox platform. Join John Linneman for this phenomenally detailed breakdown of the technology in the new game.

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Text Article:

www.eurogamer.net

The technology of Forza Horizon 5: an Xbox Series X masterpiece

For nearly as long as video games have existed, the racing game has stood as a monument to state-of-the-art technology …

Xbox One renders at 1080p with 4x MSAA (with dynamic resolution scaling down to 810p on occasion), running with a convincing enough but clearly pared back visual feature set. Xbox One X? Native 4K with a 1600p DRS minimum - and again, with 4x MSAA - but an across-the-board increase in visual features. Both of these games run at 30fps with virtually no appreciable drops in performance. On the new machines, there's a performance mode and a quality mode. Series S runs quality mode at between 1440p and 1080p (an upgrade from the preview code we saw) with a performance alternative that's 1080p with DRS fallback to 810p. Series X? Fixed native 4K in quality mode with a 4K performance option that can scale back to 1600p. Again, 4x MSAA is standard across all Xbox Series consoles and it's worth stressing that DRS kicks in only occasionally

Quality mode on Series consoles is a world apart in terms of detail, fidelity and integrity - level of detail is astonishing. Interestingly, 4x MSAA works for pristine representation of vehicles, but isn't really compatible with the organic scenery, producing shimmering artefacts where a temporal AA solution may have helped. And in that third quality tier, Series X goes further than Series S with additional technologies that plant this up there with a high-end PC experience.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
This morning is too much for me. Forza reviews to read - Forza tech analysis - Intel ADL reviews - SMT reviews and Eldon Ring gameplay. My cup runneth over.

xtib81

Mar 10, 2019
Visually speaking, it's the most impressive game I've seen alongside Flight simulator.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
The game defaults to Quality mode and I'd really recommend starting with that and seeing how you get on. It's stunning and Horizon games have always had a really nice 30fps.

Give it a shot. You can always change to Performance if you do end up hating it.

Oct 25, 2017
The 30fps is honestly so gross 🤮 lmao and as per John (and judging by the feed) the iq and lod don't change much between modes

Performance always and forever

DanielG123

Jul 14, 2020
The game defaults to Quality mode and I'd really recommend starting with that and seeing how you get on. It's stunning and Horizon games have always had a really nice 30fps.

Give it a shot. You can always change to Performance if you do end up hating it.
Yeah, like back when I played FH2 and FH3 on the Xbox One, both games felt really smooth and fun to play even at 30fps. For a more laid back and carefree franchise like Horizon, 30fps isn't TOO terrible, but that's also why we have choices now!

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Cannot wait to see PG's first fully next gen attempt at Horizon, this is already amazing

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the full vid. I dunno how they are going to make this game look better on this hardware honestly it looks so damn good already where is the room for improvement without making the whole game fully ray traced with slightly better lods. Could this hardware even handle it?

Damn only few more days

TrojanAg

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
The LOD pop-in in Performance is a little distracting. Enough for me to settle on Quality mode for now.

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
One S vs Series X Quality mode comparison pics from John's twitter.

FDW1q2ZUUAgHDbF

FDW2JOHVgAs-DiQ

Wil348

Oct 25, 2017
A VRR mode that pushes the settings out in performance mode a little more would be great, but otherwise this game looks phenomenal.

Daddy JeanPi

Prophet of Truth that's Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
You guys think i should go with quality mode on xbox or go with my i7 9700k/3070 with 32gb of ram pc?

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
I paused the video at around 14:55 to answer a call, came back to it after a few minutes and at 4K you could have told me I was looking at a still from a real video of Mexico's ground and I'd have believed you. I'm not a massive fan of racing games but I'll definitely be checking this out, after all who doesn't want to jump a volcano‽

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
You guys think i should go with quality mode on xbox or go with my i7 9700k/3070 with 32gb of ram pc?

I mean, I would most definitely go with PC. I hate 30 fps, and that config is most certainly able to pump out more performance than a XSX. You can probably get 60 fps and quality mode equavilent settings with slightly lowered resolution.

Daddy JeanPi

Prophet of Truth that's Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, I would most definitely go with PC. I hate 30 fps, and that config is most certainly able to pump out more performance than a XSX. You can probably get 60 fps and quality mode equavilent settings with slightly lowered resolution.
1440p right? Cool. That's what i'll probably do.

Plywood

Does not approve of this tag
Oct 25, 2017
Am i wrong for thinking the foliage at times looks out of place? Something about the LOD, low textures, jaggies, and pop-in. Though it certainly looks right up close. I feel like FH4 did a better job of masking it when you're driving around.

edit: The foliage issues do seem to pretty much go away under weather conditions.

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
How much of a decrease is performance mode? 60fps sounds great, but I want all the visual details.

mdf/markus

Oct 30, 2017
If they settled for other options besides LOD pop-in to increase performance, I'd choose 60fps.
But in fast racing games it's super distracting to me, as your focus is always on distant objects and they suddenly change when you're getting closer.

In other genres I wouldn't find it that problematic though.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
game is pretty.

really curious about their software audio ray tracing. also wonder if it even makes sense to leverage the Series hardware RT for this

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
I played it a bit this morning before work in quality mode. The 30fps felt fine and the game looked spectacular. I think I'll switch to performance tonight and see how big of a difference there is

CubeApple76

Jan 20, 2021
Man the craziest thing to me is that Horizon 2 blew my mind back in 2014, and from the clips in this video it really doesn't look all that great. Crazy how far we have come.