• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
No? I barely post on the site anymore, you can look at my posting history and how precipitously it has dropped over the past many months. I don't like this generation starting with performance vs. graphics modes on either side.

This will always be the case and consoles are pretty powerful and if they were as powerful as a 3090 or the rumoed big Navi it would be the same.

Last edited:

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
Who said it was native 4K? I haven't personally seen anybody say that, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen. I have seen speculation that it may be 4k, though, based on it looking like 4k.

I'm too lazy to look for posts, but there were absolutely people claiming the gameplay was 4k, and correcting anyone who said otherwise. Personally I couldn't care less. It looks great regardless of what resolution it's running at.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Less input lag?

DF did not know at what resolution is the game running, post processing and upscaling is hiding it. They suspect it's 1440p.

It was mentioned. They did not find it in this rendering mode.

Are you talking about demons souls because DF clearly says we are looking at a 1440p image here. They don't suspect anything.

Oct 25, 2017
No? I barely post on the site anymore, you can look at my posting history and how precipitously it has dropped over the past many months. I don't like this generation starting with performance vs. graphics modes on either side.
The tradeoff between fidelity, resolution, and frame rate is inevitable whether you have 1 TF or 100 TF at your disposal. Your opinion is uninformed at best.

Performance modes as an option are a huge win for everyone.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
I think we will see sooner than later some deep learning reconstruction algorithm on consoles. It will even be better.

I think he meant Series S, and he is thinking that most games will run at the same visual fidelity as Demon's Souls and at 60FPS on the Series S.

The console will be within three years a 1080p one. lol and not at the same fidelity than Demon's Souls.

Steiner_Zi

Oct 28, 2017
Why don't you like being given a choice over playing the game how you want?

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Fair point, I guess i"m in the camp of wishing consoles would go rather expensive so that performance could be best of the best right at the start (though I understand how overly expensive these things already are)

It's important to remember these are mass market products. If you want the best of the best it's out there, but even if the consoles came with enough power to rival the 3090 you'd still get 30fps games.

Saberus

Oct 28, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Least this thread will give you the opportunity to add few more to the ignore list.
Also its great the DF had hard time telling its was 1440p, so the solution BP came up with sounds fantastic.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Sony put up-scaling/checkerboard rendering bespoke hardware in the Pro and I'd imagine that tech is in PS5 but with far superior implementation... have we heard anything about that at all? This gens 1440p upscale/CB might and should be superior to last gen!

KayonXaikyre

Oct 27, 2017
Looks awesome. All I need is to see the gameplay when it's running in normal mode and I'm in there later on when more games show up.

Shryke

Oct 26, 2017
I totally believed we were gonna get this game next year but it's a launch title?! Holy Shit! A month and several weeks to go!

Oct 30, 2017
Hotdamn this game looks amazing!

Sony put up-scaling/checkerboard rendering bespoke hardware in the Pro and I'd imagine that tech is in PS5 but with far superior implementation... have we heard anything about that at all? This gens 1440p upscale/CB might and should be superior to last gen!

Heck, just take a look at the UE5 demo that was shown on PS5. It's using their upscaling reconstruction technique for 4k and you can't even count the pixels, Digital Foundry tried, Epic had to tell people it was using a native rendering of 1440p.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Really curious to see how the Valley of Defilement looks in this remake. It was like being trapped in endless Silent Hill Otherworld hellscape of sickness and darkness. I haven't seen any of the follow up Souls games go that grim.

bananas

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
You're underestimating how demanding (and what a huge waste of resources) native 4K is.
Sure, but when you're asking for $400-500 for a new console, it's a little bit of a disappointment.

Game still looks fantastic though, and smooth gameplay over resolution is always the best choice.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
The only truly sad thing here is that people's focus on the resolution is the most blatantly stupid display of ignorance there is with regards to gaming IQ tech.

Then again... I guess we know who these people are and what they are really doing.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
The only thing that bugs me is that the reposte animation looks a bit weird for some reason. I prefer the original.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
It's a bit disappointing that can't reach 4k/60, but the IQ is amazing. Hopefully as the gen moves on, it'll be more achievable.
Even a beefed up PC worth thousands has a hard time running 4K/60. There's many more parameters to take into account but thats a very taxing resolution and frame rate to hit, specially if you expect that from a small style console without water cooling and better air flow that a PC can manage.

For what its worth, these consoles are doing a great job for that is in the box. Even on a value perspective, its unbeat currently.

So I say Bluepoint has done great work here. We've yet to see Demon's Souls at 4K/30 mode which may look a bit better than what we've seen so far. O.o

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
Looks super clean for 1440p. I had assumed it was higher just based upon the image quality.

I would definitely be sticking with the 1440p mode for the 60 FPS in this game if the 4K is 30.

bananas

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
In that case here is another way to look at this. If the PS5 can't run this at 4K@60fps, the XSX will not able to do it either. And definitely not the XSSr the Switch. Have I missed any consoles?

And it will be more disappointing for the Series X, since they are hammering home their 4K message as well as 120Hz all the time.

bananas

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
It's just marketing, don't read much into this, all will depends on what the developers wants and are able to do, we will see A LOT of 1440/1800P games later this gen.
I agree. And they will be great games. And like I said earlier frame rate is more important to me than resolution.

I just think after 2-3 years of hearing about these new consoles, that 4K60 isn't a reasonable expectation as a standard is disappointing.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
the graphic mode will see a lighting bump as well

ygHxpOU.jpg

That brickwork...

Oct 30, 2017
Ya'll the it's not 4k/60fps make me laugh.

Especially the 2080ti which is over than twice the price the upcoming consoles could have hands full with 4k/60fps with current-gen games as is, lol.

These consoles don't exist in a vacuum with tech. I guess if you want current-gen visuals with 4k/60fps, you'ill be okay?

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I agree. And they will be great games. And like I said earlier frame rate is more important to me than resolution.

I just think after 2-3 years of hearing about these new consoles, that 4K60 isn't a reasonable expectation as a standard is disappointing.

Yeah, It's annoying that they pushed it as hard as they did, a decent amount of people saw it as bullshit, but if you aren't technically minded it can feel like a slap in the face.

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
Looks good. 1440p is a tad disappointing. Looks fine on a trailer, but on a large tv it would be nice to be a bit higher resolution. A retread of the PS4 pros performance 60/1440p - 4k 30 isnt what I hoped for for next gen. Having said that this game is a must get.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
I'm too lazy to look for posts, but there were absolutely people claiming the gameplay was 4k, and correcting anyone who said otherwise. Personally I couldn't care less. It looks great regardless of what resolution it's running at.

There's a 4K 60 fps trailer released so it's hard to blame them.

I think he meant Series S, and he is thinking that most games will run at the same visual fidelity as Demon's Souls and at 60FPS on the Series S.
Jury is still out but that seems doubtful to me. There will be plenty of highly performant games on the system but just seems like console warring.
Okay? I'm not talking about PCs, I'm talking about consoles.
No one can tell you how to feel but one of my main fears was developers prioritizing native 4k over framerate so I'm glad to see that this wasn't done here.

Last edited:

doof_warrior

Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Exactly.

It's past time people stop giving a shit about native res. If you can't tell the difference immediately, then what's the point of wasting resources?
And with stuff like DLSS and DirectML, and god knows what else, that's the future. Get used to it. Knowing the native resolution a game is running on will be just an interesting tidbit of info for us nerds.
native res is overrated as fuck after a certain point
i'll take 1440p with better performance and better effects etc over native 4k every day forever
hell, i'd be 1000% happy if all games just ran at 1080p and that INSANE amount of extra gpu horsepower gained from staying at 1080p could be used for all kinds of other shit