Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Once again it depends on the game.
Well, in a manner of speaking you are right. Assuming the game in question stands absolutely nothing to gain from running at around double the framerate.

So yeah, I guess it does depend on the game. In which case I won't say it always a waste of resources, but rather say you are always giving up frames to accommodate 4K.

Oct 28, 2017
A 1Tf GPU can hit 4K@60fps and a 100TF GPU can struggle to hit 1080p. It just depends on how much you dial up the graphics.

I am using God of War performance on PS4 Pro at 4K as a reference.

*BS sauce*
Maybe Demon Souls inherently has issues with how the engine was on PS3 and it followed up with some sort of CPU bottleneck or something where running the game at higher resolution on PS5 is just not possible or efficient. As a result the game on PS5 is rendered at lower resolution and the additional graphics power is used somewhere else.

Shock32

Oct 27, 2017
ok take my damn money already

caec83389e06ae525a0bb2a6560001e4.gif

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, in a manner of speaking you are right. Assuming the game in question stands absolutely nothing to gain from running at around double the framerate.

So yeah, I guess it does depend on the game. In which case I won't say it always a waste of resources, but rather say you are always giving up frames to accommodate 4K.
Of course, it's a balancing act that hopefully plays to the strengths of the game.

Deleted member 45460

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 27, 2018
User Banned (2 weeks): Console wars, history of similar behaviour
1440p/60fps will hopefully become the standard for performance modes next gen. It's like the perfect balance between making the game feel great to play and still look beautiful.
Honestly, a well made box doesn't need a performance mode. Sad to see it back right at the start of the generation.

Estarossa

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Talented, brilliant, incredible, amazing, show stopping, spectacular, never the same, totally unique, completely not ever been done before, unafraid to reference or not reference, put it in a blender, shit on it, vomit on it, eat it, give birth to it. What else can I say?

Glad to have beeen part of this monumental( pun intended) title and its glo up. Can't believe it's been more than a decade since the release of the original. I am so ready to savour the moment.

Lwill

Oct 28, 2017
Looks great. Seeing Dark Souls game running so well itself is great by itself, so seeing the insane graphical upgrades is icing on the cake.

Okii

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man games look incredible now, when they compared it Bloodborne it was night and day difference.

ThisOne

Oct 27, 2017
So does the ps5 output at 1440p? Maybe an obvious answer but the ps4 does not. Genuinely curious as my monitor maxes at 1440p. I've got no interest in 4K at this point.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
2 things:

I keep saying DF threads agree are gonna be interesting.

I just noticed your avatar, lmao.

The changes, so subtle that when its spotted it's hilarious.
DF is always interesting.
So does the ps5 output at 1440p? Maybe an obvious answer but the ps4 does not. Genuinely curious as my monitor maxes at 1440p. I've got no interest in 4K at this point.
I would also like to know this. Seems like there is hope :)

Microsoft should buy Demon Soul
WTF is this?

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I'm shook hearing it's 1440p. I like to think I'm generally pretty good at telling whether something is native 4K or at least close to it (1800p+), but I honestly thought this was at or extremely close to native 4K when viewing it on my 55" 4K tv from like four feet away.

That's some good AA. And extremely strong motion blur, to be fair.

Civilstrife

Oct 27, 2017
As a PC gamer who plays on a 4K TV at 1440p, trust me, 1440p is amazing and nigh on indistinguishable from native 4K.

To the extent that if Series S really plays 1440p/60 versions of next gen games with everything else being the same, I would sooner get that than a full Series X.

1440p/60 really is a fantastic sweet spot that nobody should be disappointed about.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
BOTW was cross gen though and launched on the Wii U too.
And demons souls is a remake. We can apply any type of arbitrary reasons to suit our argument.

Demons souls does look to be the best ps launch title ever though. I couldn't get into the original but I'm ready to give it another go

Tomo815

Banned
Jul 19, 2019
So that Xbox Series X can run the game at real 4K@60FPS with that additional 3TFlops?

Guys it was only a joke. Nowadays when something is extremely good, we should think of it as something MS should buy, its like the new Nintendo seal of quality: 'this ice-cream is delicious, MS should buy this shop".

gjmptwaen

Aug 8, 2020
Sony just needs to confirms 1440p support. Pc gamers wanting to play Playstation exclusives at higher frame rates with their existing monitors would forever love them for it.

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
One of the best next gen showings and it turns out it wasn't even native 4k. Just goes to show you it isn't necessary, especially if it is so difficult to tell the difference Can't wait to see that quality mode but I'm already more than satisfied with the graphics and performance for a launch game.

Tomo815

Banned
Jul 19, 2019
Oh and BTW I wasnt planning to get a PS5, its too bit for my set up, but after watching this I am already thinking 'hmm sure I could move this bit on the side and that over there'.